PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 205, 206, 207, 208, 209  Next
Author

Replies: 30

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:30 pm      Post subject: Please translate

Please translate these family records. Thank you so much. Dena

1799 260 Franciszek Lojewski and Marianna Sleszynska.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.49 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1799 260 Franciszek Lojewski and Marianna Sleszynska.jpg

1805 361 Jan Lojewski and Wiktoria Sleszynska marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  453.32 KB

1805 361 Jan Lojewski and Wiktoria Sleszynska marriage.jpg

cbuckord

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:41 pm      Post subject: Please translate

Please translate one more. Thanks, Dena

Marianna Sikorska Czyzewska death 1422 Wasosz.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.38 KB

Marianna Sikorska Czyzewska death 1422 Wasosz.jpg

NatReiter

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:55 pm      Post subject: Great grandfather birth/ baptism 1898 certificate help

Hi,

Please can someone translate this to English for me?

It’s in Latin as well as what I believe to be either Polish and/ or Ukrainian, due to the date my great grandfather was born and the history of Poland. I initially posted this in the Polish translation thread but was directed here.

There are other documents where my great grandfather had put down Poland as his place of birth, but others he’s put Austria, so it’s very confusing!

I can’t read the handwriting of what I believe is to be the parents and god parents names, so I have no idea if they wrote their names in Latin, but please let me know!

Any help is appreciated Smile

Thanks

Natalie

FECC7D5D-8849-4622-8518-CF272CF63CC5.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.12 KB

FECC7D5D-8849-4622-8518-CF272CF63CC5.jpeg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2239

Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:41 pm      Post subject: Re: Please translate

cbuckord wrote:
Please translate these family records. Thank you so much. Dena

Hi Dena,

The record identified as the death of Maryanna Sikorska Ciszewska (#1422) goes with the following entry (#1423) and together they form the record of the baptism of female twins born to her and her husband. Anyway, here are the translations of the posts. I hope that you find them useful.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave

Marriage of Franciszekth & Maryanna
Left Margin: Łoje Awissa; #260
Body of Entry: After the three proclamations of the banns had been promulgated and since no impediment had been discovered, On the 20th day of January 1799 I, Franciszek Górski, curate of the church of Przytuły, blessed the marriage between the nobles* Franciszek Lojewski, a bachelor from Łoje Awissa, and Maryanna Sleszynska, a maiden, parishioners of Przytuły, in the presence of the noble* witnesses Franciszek Maliszewski and Wojciech Lojewski, from the same place.

Notes: *Nobilis/Nobles: A member of the gentry who was the owner or leaseholder of a parcel of land.

Marriage of Jan & Wiktoria
Slaszy and Łoje Gręzko #361: After the three banns had been promulgated beforehand in the presence of the people gathered to hear the Divine Rites* and since no Canonical nor Civil impediment had been detected, on the 28th day of January I, the same, blessed the marriage between the nobles** Jan Lojewski, a single young man from Łoje, 25 years of age and Wiktoria Sleszynska, a maiden 18 years of age from Slaszy of the parish of Przytuły, in the presence of the noble witnesses Tomasz Rogowski, Adam Rogowski, and others.

Notes: *Divina/Divine Rites: Sunday Mass
**Nobilis/Nobles: A member of the gentry who was the owner or leaseholder of a parcel of land.

#1422 & #1423: Baptism of twins Petronela & Maryanna

Wasosz #1422 & #1423
On the 7th day of December I, Brother* Serapion Mudrak, Car. A. RO* baptized twin infants, the daughters of the legitimate marital union of the nobles** Mateusz and Maryanna née Sikorska Czyszewski, (the first) named Petronela, whose sponsors/godparents were the nobles** Józefat Kasprowski with Konstancja Dąbrowska; the second named Maryanna, whose sponsors/godparents were the nobles** Łukasz Szulimowski with Anna Baranikowska(?).

Notes: *Frater/Brother...Car.A.RO: The priest was a member of a religious order and thus the title “Brother”; the initials are those of the religious order to which he belonged. The initials do not appear in a list of 800 abbreviations of Catholic religious orders and thus I was not able to determine the name of the order to which he belonged.
**Nobilis/Nobles: A member of the gentry who was the owner or leaseholder of a parcel of land.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:43 pm      Post subject: Re: Great grandfather birth/ baptism 1898 certificate help

NatReiter wrote:
Hi,

Please can someone translate this to English for me?

It’s in Latin as well as what I believe to be either Polish and/ or Ukrainian, due to the date my great grandfather was born and the history of Poland. I initially posted this in the Polish translation thread but was directed here.

There are other documents where my great grandfather had put down Poland as his place of birth, but others he’s put Austria, so it’s very confusing!

I can’t read the handwriting of what I believe is to be the parents and god parents names, so I have no idea if they wrote their names in Latin, but please let me know!

Any help is appreciated Smile

Thanks

Natalie

Hi Natalie,

The Certificate is bilingual—Ukrainian & Latin. I can read the Latin but not the Ukrainian (Cyrillic Alphabet). There is a section of the certificate which is cut off. The missing section contains the date the certificate was issued and the signature of the priest who issued it. That is all nice info but it is not essential for your research.

First names in the certificate are entered in their Latin form. I translated them first into their Polish form and then into English. Where the Polish and the English are the same there is only one version of the name in the translation. Last names are in their vernacular form (Polish/Ukrainian). I was not always sure of the spelling of the surnames. Perhaps Sophia can give you a better reading of the handwritten surnames.

For centuries the region had been part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. In the First Partition of Poland in 1772 the area was seized by Austria and became known as Galicia, a part of the Austrian Empire. After WWI the area became part of the Second Polish Republic. After WWII it became part of Ukraine.

The name of the parish appears as Łanacz in the certificate. There was no place with that name in the Second Polish Republic. The closest was Łanaczyn. It was in the right part of the country and was the site of a Greek (Eastern) Rite Catholic parish. I believe that it is the same place.

The translation follows.

Wishing you successful research,

Dave

Top of Certificate: The Republic of Poland
Województwo (Province): Tarnopol

Left Side: Diocese: Stanisławów
Powiat (County): Roz???ów
Center: Number (of certificate issued): 140
Right Side: Dekenat (Deanery): Skałat
Parish: Łanacz

Certificate of birth and of baptism

From the parish office of the Greek Rite Catholic parish in Łanacz of the Church of (illegible—covered in part by revenue stamp) in it is made known and attested that in the registers of this church Volume 3, Page 123 is found the following:

Col. 1: Year, month, and day of birth, of Baptism, and of Confirmation:
In the year of Our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred Ninety Eight (1898) 28 February
Col. 2: House Number: 281
Col. 3: NAME: Michał/Michael
Col. 4: Religion: Greek Catholic
Col. 5: Sex/Gender: Masculine
Col 6: The (marital) bed: Legitimate
Col. 7: PARENTS AND(THEIR) STATUS/OCCUPATION/CONDITION: BazylBasili Stefanow, the son of Andrzej/Andrew and of Pelagia (maiden name illegible to me); Józefa/Josephine, the daughter of Piotr/Peter Wawzykow and Franciszka/Frances Kuka, farmers
Col 8: SPONSORS AND (THEIR) STATUS/OCCUPATION/CONDITION: Franciszek/Francis Hołowatyj (&) Maria, the wife of Jan/John Osadczul(?), farmers.

Notations at bottom: The midwife was Maria Tuzcsyniak

Aleksander/Alexander Balicki, the pastor of this place, baptized and confirmed (him)
cbuckord

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:15 am      Post subject:

Thank you so much Dave. I really appreciate the info. So, both 1422 and 1423 are Baptism records? No death record for Marianna?

Would you please translate one more for me as well. Thank you for doing this for us. Dena

1823 1 Stanislaw Duchewicz and Agnieszka Nowakowska.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.4 KB

1823 1 Stanislaw Duchewicz and Agnieszka Nowakowska.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:46 am      Post subject:

cbuckord wrote:
Thank you so much Dave. I really appreciate the info. So, both 1422 and 1423 are Baptism records? No death record for Marianna?

Would you please translate one more for me as well. Thank you for doing this for us. Dena

Hi Dena,

Both were baptism records and there is no death record on the image. Here is the translation of the marriage record.

Wishing you continued successful research,

Dave

First Col.: Place of Marriage: Pluskowęsy
Col. 2: Number (for the year): 1
Col. 3: Bachelor with a maiden: Checked
Body of Entry: The Year of Our Lord 1823
Stanisław Duchewicz, a bachleor, (&) Agnieszka Nowakowska, also a maiden, with the consent of their parents, (&) after the announcements of the banns had been promulgated beforehand, contracted marriage in the Church of Pluskowęsy with me blessing (the union) on the 6th day of February 1823. The witnesses were Józef Lipowski and Adam Ogienski, the organist of Pluskowęsy.
Final Column: Age of those marrying: The groom: 20; The bride: 26
cbuckord

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:52 am      Post subject: RE: Duchewicz/Nowakowska marriage record

Once again thank you. Do these records usually tell who the parents were? The record was sent to me, so I don't know if I received the entire record or not. I can pursue finding the entire record if there is more information. However, if this is all I will find, I don't want to search more. Sorry I didn't think to ask this before. Thanks again, Dena
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:24 pm      Post subject: Re: RE: Duchewicz/Nowakowska marriage record

cbuckord wrote:
Once again thank you. Do these records usually tell who the parents were? The record was sent to me, so I don't know if I received the entire record or not. I can pursue finding the entire record if there is more information. However, if this is all I will find, I don't want to search more. Sorry I didn't think to ask this before. Thanks again, Dena

Hi Dena,

The marriage record you posted is the entire entry so there is no need to search for “missing” parts.

The short answer to your question about the inclusion or lack thereof of the names of the parents of the bride and groom is that it depended on what the priest was inclined to include in the record as there were neither ecclesiastic nor civil instructions regarding the content beyond the minimal info of the date of the wedding and the names of the parties, the witnesses and the priest who blessed the marriage. The entry is a modified short paragraph style entry. The modified version was a transition from the short paragraph style to the columnar format. In the area of the German Partition real change began after the Congress of Vienna, which redrew the boundaries of Europe in the aftermath of the Napoleonic Wars. In German controlled areas ecclesiastical records became civil vital records. Catholic priests and Protestant (Lutheran) ministers were required to submit copies of church records to act as civil vital records. This was the situation until freestanding registry offices were set up in 1874. After 1874 he official records were those kept in German in the registry offices. The ecclesiastical records continued to be kept but were no longer regarded as civil records. It seems that prior to 1874 priests entered whatever data they wanted to. Against this background the 19th Century saw a rise in popularity of the columnar format for keeping Sacramental records for purely ecclesiastical purposes due to its ease and time saving features. During the 19th Century the headings of the columns more often were viewed by parish priests as suggestions of what was to be entered rather than as strict requirements.

My non-scientific view is that somewhere around 60% of the time the names of the parents were not entered in the marriage registers. This view in not scientific in that I did not compile a detailed record of how often the names of the parents were included in German Partition marriage records. It is based on reflection on the research of my own ancestors and on the experience of translating marriage records. (All my maternal and paternal ancestors were from western Kujawsko-Pomorskie and eastern Wielkopolskie. The border between German Poland and Russian Poland basically split the area where my ancestors lived.) My advice would be to be glad when the parents’ names are included in marriage records but not to expend a lot of time and energy searching for alternative marriage records when the parents are not included in the records you find.

In closing, as Forrest Gump was wont to say: “And that’s all I have to say about that.”

All the best,

Dave
Kurt1322

Replies: 59

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:50 am      Post subject: Marriage Record Translation

I would appreciate help with the translation of this 1860 Marriage Record from the Parish of Dobrotwor, in Galicia. I understand the basic facts of the record, but I am hoping to glean any "finer details" from this.

Thank you,

Kurt

1860-Joseph Rusakiewicz Marriage_Cholojow-Dobrotwor.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  371.28 KB

1860-Joseph Rusakiewicz Marriage_Cholojow-Dobrotwor.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:17 am      Post subject: Re: Marriage Record Translation

Kurt1322 wrote:
I would appreciate help with the translation of this 1860 Marriage Record from the Parish of Dobrotwor, in Galicia. I understand the basic facts of the record, but I am hoping to glean any "finer details" from this.

Thank you,

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

I am not able to zoom in on the image as posted to be able to see the letters of all the words in the text. This is not really a problem for most of the text but it is definitely a problem for words which are locality specific. The long notation at the bottom of the record deals exclusively with legalities (certificates, permissions, banns, etc.). Rather than spending the time on a word for word translation of the legalities I will summarize the legalities. I will only translate the text of the body of the record which has not been highlighted. The translation follows.

Dave

Col. 2: House #331
Col. 3: Józef, temporarily dismissed/on leave, usually a blacksmith for the imperial (illegible name) of Wielkie Mosty in Galicia, the son of Józef Rusakiewicz, a blacksmith in Wielkie Mosty at (house) #124, and of Anna née Klob (or Klab)
Col. 4: Latin Rite Catholic
Col. 7: a bachelor
Col. 8: Maria, the daughter of Antoni, once a steward, and of Agnieszka née Czarnecka(?), originating from the family which is in Chałogów(?) at (house) # 331
Col. 9: Latin Rite Catholic
Col. 12: Maiden
Cols. 13 & 14: The Witnesses: Wojciech Łabecki(?), a prefect/overseer of the forest (&) Ksawery (illegible surname), a prefect/overseer of the forest

The legalities: On the part of the groom: baptismal certificate from the parish of Mosty Wielkie dated 19 March, 1860; permission from the imperial legion dated 12 April 1860; certificate from his superior regarding a dispensation from two proclamations of the banns dated 22 April 1860; Certificate regarding the three proclamations of the banns in the parish off Wielkie Most dated 10 June 1860. On the part of the bride: Everything necessary was found in the parish Sacramental Registers; The 3 banns were announced and no impediment was detected; the civil permission was obtained. Leopold Wilkolka(?), the pastor blessed the marriage
uqgblaza

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:12 pm      Post subject:

I have been looking in FamilySearch (7769147) for baptisms from 1722-1761 for my GGGGrandfather. It is reasonably easy to work out, however it appears that when the parents names are shown ,only their Christian names are given but the witnesses have their full name . All I want to know is if you agree with this from the attachment. Maybe in the 1700's they usually only had Christian names .
Thanks George

mamlicz crop1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.24 KB

mamlicz crop1.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:45 pm      Post subject:

uqgblaza wrote:
I have been looking in FamilySearch (7769147) for baptisms from 1722-1761 for my GGGGrandfather. It is reasonably easy to work out, however it appears that when the parents names are shown ,only their Christian names are given but the witnesses have their full name . All I want to know is if you agree with this from the attachment. Maybe in the 1700's they usually only had Christian names .
Thanks George

Hi George,

Even during the 18th Century not all peasants had/used surnames. None of the peasants in the entry (the parents of Katarzyna and the female sponsor aka godmother, Magdalena) were recorded with a surname. The only person whose surname was recorded was the male sponsor aka godfather, Jacenty. He was not a peasant since his status was recorded as famatus/renowned, an adjective used to describe a middle class craftsman.

As the 18th Century progressed more and more peasants had/used surnames but even at the end of the 18th and the beginning of the 19th Centuries there still were some peasants who were recorded using only given names. The only part of your statement with which I do not agree is the adverb “usually”. Based on my experience and discussions with professional genealogists it would be more accurate to say that often or sometimes only Christian names were recorded.

Dave
uqgblaza

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:13 pm      Post subject:

Thanks Dave . My Latin only went to grade 10 ( was called Junior in Australia ) .Had to drop it as I kept failing and I didn't need it doing chemistry at uni.
Regards
brooklyn

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:02 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for finding priceless treasures for people! Here is the birth record of Antonino Garito. Born 1795 in Lipari, Messina, Sicily. Your translation will definitely help train me to decipher others on my own. Thank you.

9D981E37-437F-4E25-BA9C-B74DEA5B3914.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.13 MB

9D981E37-437F-4E25-BA9C-B74DEA5B3914.jpeg

Last edited by brooklyn on Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 205, 206, 207, 208, 209  Next Page 206 of 209

Jump to: