PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 206, 207, 208, 209  Next
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:08 pm      Post subject:

I appreciate you very much. Can you please translate this record for me. Birth record of Joseph Garito born 1792 in Lipari Messina, Sicily. Thank you for all you do!

435A472E-14F0-4852-B9FB-829614A39847.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.2 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

435A472E-14F0-4852-B9FB-829614A39847.jpeg

brooklyn

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:11 pm      Post subject:

I finally got far enough back to find Latin:) Can you please translate it for me. Cajetanus Garito born 1798 in Lipari, Messina, Sicily. All the best, michael

45432C60-7DB7-4D5F-A0CD-5A33DB7EF431.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.09 MB

45432C60-7DB7-4D5F-A0CD-5A33DB7EF431.jpeg

Last edited by brooklyn on Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
your_parades

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:28 am      Post subject:

I've found who I think it my furthest back confirmable relative: Stanisław Kostka Frankiewicz, baptised 16.11.1768.

Would love some help with deciphering/translating the record!

Thank you so much Smile

Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 5.21.11 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  288.96 KB

Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 5.21.11 PM.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2239

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:36 pm      Post subject:

brooklyn wrote:
I finally got far enough back to find Latin:) Can you please translate it for me. Cajetanus Garito born 1798 in Lipari, Messina, Sicily. All the best, michael

Hi Michael,

I hate to be the bearer of unwelcome news but none of the three records are birth records. They are all marriage records. (All given names are translated first into their English version followed by what I believe would be their Italian version.) Here is the summary of the couples involved: 1) December 31, 1795—Michael Angel/Michele Angelo d’Amico & Grace/Grazielle Pagano; 2) December 8, 1792—Joseph/Giuseppe Garito & Nadia(?) Ventrici(?); 3) May 2, 1798—Cajetan/Gaetano Garito & Joanna Geto(?). The entries are short. The contain the names of the spouses and their parents, the name of the priest and the names of the two witness. The remainder of each entry deals with the legalities like the banns.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Again, I’m sorry that the records are not what you expected.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:40 pm      Post subject:

your_parades wrote:
I've found who I think it my furthest back confirmable relative: Stanisław Kostka Frankiewicz, baptised 16.11.1768.

Would love some help with deciphering/translating the record!

Thank you so much Smile

Hi,

I was not able to identify the geographical locations in the record as I haven’t a clue about the name of the parish where the baptism took place. The name of the parish is treated as a Latin adjective in this record and without some idea of the name of the parish it would be an exercise in futility for me to try to determine the parish name from the many possibilities. I’m sure that you know the name of the parish. The same is true of the village name.

Here is the translation minus the place names.

Dave

Right Margin: Stanisław Kostka (born) of Tomasz and Katarzyna
Body of Entry: In the year which is above on the 16th day of November, I, Gaspar Pod?recki, vicar of the parish church of ??, baptized an infant by the name of Stanisław Kostka, the son of the legitimate marital union of the upright* Tomasz and Katarzyna Frankieewicz from ? ? Biskupskie**. Those bearing him to the Sacred Font of Baptism*** were the upright* Sebastian Błenski and Justyna Kosakowska.

Notes: *honestus/upright: an adjective used to denote an individual as a peasant.
**Episcopali/Biskupskie: the place name ends with the adjective episcopal/biskupskie
***Levantes...Fontem/Those bearing...of Baptism: a circumlocution for the sponsors aka godparents.
Richard Kuzniak

Replies: 33

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:07 pm      Post subject: Marriage Record

Mainly interested in the town name. I just can’t decipher. I don’t think Agnes' surname is there anywhere? Thank you! This is a record of my many times great grandfather's marriage in 1767.

A99C0449-FF47-4F07-922D-45107CA658B8.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  79.53 KB

A99C0449-FF47-4F07-922D-45107CA658B8.jpeg

Richard Kuzniak

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:27 pm      Post subject:

I forgot to say that this is in the Osowo/Braczewo area.
Richard Kuzniak

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:51 pm      Post subject:

I think I figured it out, Przeciwnicza. But no maiden name, right?
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:29 am      Post subject: Re: Marriage Record

Richard Kuzniak wrote:
Mainly interested in the town name. I just can’t decipher. I don’t think Agnes' surname is there anywhere? Thank you! This is a record of my many times great grandfather's marriage in 1767.

Hi Richard,

You are correct that the place name is Przeciwnicza (current spelling: Przerciwnica), a village with a contemporary population of 65. The Słownik geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego i innych krajów słowiańskich describes it as a manorial farmstead (folwark) which existed prior to 1793 and was owned by the Raczyński family. (Here is the link to the entry: http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_IX/128

Neither the groom’s surname nor the bride’s maiden name are recorded in the entry. As is typical of marriage records from the period, the entry is heavy on legalities and light on the type of info which would be of genealogical interest.

Anyway, here follows the translation.

Wishing you continued successful research,

Dave

Right Margin: Przecziwnicza; 7 November
Body of Entry: On the 7th day of this (month) and the current year (1767) I, who (is named) above, questioned the industrious* Walenty and Agnieszka. servants** from the village of Przeciwnicza of this parish, in the collegiate church of the parish of Szamotuły and after I had received their mutual verbal consent regarding the present marriage***, joined them (in marriage) and blessed them according to the Roman (Catholic) Ritual in the presence of the witnesses Łukasz Puslednik and Michał (surname cut off on image) from the above named village.
Notes: *laboriosos/industrious: an adjective used to describe individuals as peasants.

**famulos/servants: a noun used here to describe workers on a manorial estate/farmstead. The bride and the groom were serfs who served the owner of the manor (the Raczyński family). Serfdom ended in what would become the Prussian (German) Partition in 1807 with the emancipation of the peasants. I would recommend reading the article written by Piotr Zelny on property inventories and recently posted by Zenon on this forum.

***de presenti matrimonio: the actual marriage as opposed to consent to a future marriage. Consent could be given de futuro matrimonio (for a marriage in the future) or for the actual marriage (de presenti matrimonio). The words are just a technical distinction between what we would term a betrothal ceremony and the actual marriage ceremony.
Richard Kuzniak

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:02 pm      Post subject: Re: Marriage Record

dnowicki wrote:
Richard Kuzniak wrote:

Hi Richard,

You are correct that the place name is Przeciwnicza (current spelling: Przerciwnica), a village with a contemporary population of 65. The Słownik geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego i innych krajów słowiańskich describes it as a manorial farmstead (folwark) which existed prior to 1793 and was owned by the Raczyński family. (Here is the link to the entry: http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_IX/128

Neither the groom’s surname nor the bride’s maiden name are recorded in the entry. As is typical of marriage records from the period, the entry is heavy on legalities and light on the type of info which would be of genealogical interest.

Anyway, here follows the translation.

Wishing you continued successful research,

Dave

Right Margin: Przecziwnicza; 7 November
Body of Entry: On the 7th day of this (month) and the current year (1767) I, who (is named) above, questioned the industrious* Walenty and Agnieszka. servants** from the village of Przeciwnicza of this parish, in the collegiate church of the parish of Szamotuły and after I had received their mutual verbal consent regarding the present marriage***, joined them (in marriage) and blessed them according to the Roman (Catholic) Ritual in the presence of the witnesses Łukasz Puslednik and Michał (surname cut off on image) from the above named village.
Notes: *laboriosos/industrious: an adjective used to describe individuals as peasants.

**famulos/servants: a noun used here to describe workers on a manorial estate/farmstead. The bride and the groom were serfs who served the owner of the manor (the Raczyński family). Serfdom ended in what would become the Prussian (German) Partition in 1807 with the emancipation of the peasants. I would recommend reading the article written by Piotr Zelny on property inventories and recently posted by Zenon on this forum.

***de presenti matrimonio: the actual marriage as opposed to consent to a future marriage. Consent could be given de futuro matrimonio (for a marriage in the future) or for the actual marriage (de presenti matrimonio). The words are just a technical distinction between what we would term a betrothal ceremony and the actual marriage ceremony.

Thank you very much for your informative reply. Greatly appreciated! I've been using BaSIA and Poznan Project to initiate record requests from a genealogist in Poland but am wondering if I can search archives myself, eg. Diosescan Archives in Poznan or records in Pila. Both of my parents are from the Poznan area.
Richard Kuzniak

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:22 pm      Post subject: GG grandfather wedding (Jakub Mendyk, Maryanna Jaruszanka)

Would appreciate a translation of the attached record. It is of my great great grandfather's marriage in Lubasz in 1841. Thank you!

AA5AF26C-DC72-4137-A3BE-3E1B359829A0.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.09 KB

AA5AF26C-DC72-4137-A3BE-3E1B359829A0.jpeg

389FE136-EBB9-454D-B087-9A5DEB8FC93E.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.09 KB

389FE136-EBB9-454D-B087-9A5DEB8FC93E.jpeg

Richard Kuzniak

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:30 pm      Post subject:

Would appreciate a translation of this, thank you.

29FCEF59-7114-4587-AC67-612034A03A52.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.97 KB

29FCEF59-7114-4587-AC67-612034A03A52.jpeg

robvaivodiss

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:03 pm      Post subject: Meklesz Marriage

Can someone please translate this marriage record? I know it's a lot but it would be appreciated.

Meklesz and Polanczycz.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.96 MB

Meklesz and Polanczycz.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:49 pm      Post subject: Re: Great great grandfather wedding

Richard Kuzniak wrote:
Would appreciate a translation of the attached record. It is of my great great grandfather's marriage in Lubasz in 1841. Thank you!

Hi Richard,

Here is the marriage record translation. Both images are identical so I’ll only translate one.

Dave

Right Margin: Goraj; The 21st Day of November (date of wedding)
Left Margin: 52 (Number of wedding for the year)
Body of Entry: In the year as above, I, the same who (is named) above, after all the banns had been announced, and since no impediment had been detected, blessed the marriage between Jakub Mendyk, a single man from the village of Goraj, 29 years of age, and Maryanna Jaruszanka*, a widow, Nowak from her first marriage, 31 years of age, from Goraj. The witnesses were Wojciech Gadlik(?) and Wojciech (last name cut off in image).

Notes: *The suffix -anka was an old form used to give the name of a single woman. The masculine form of her surname would have been either Jaruś or Jarusz or Jaruch.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:53 pm      Post subject:

Richard Kuzniak wrote:
Would appreciate a translation of this, thank you.

Hi Richard,

Here is the translation of the death record of Szymon Mendyk. Also, these links provide historical information and pictures of the parish church in Szamotuły. The structure dates back to the 15th Century but obviously the building had been renovated several times over the centuries. The church, as an earlier record stated, was a collegiate church and is a minor basilica. Here are the links: https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazylika_kolegiacka_Matki_Bo%C5%BCej_Pocieszenia_i_%C5%9Bw._Stanis%C5%82awa_Biskupa_w_Szamotu%C5%82ach

https://szamotuly.fotopolska.eu/1584123,foto.html

The translation follows.

Dave

Left Margin: 98(?) (Death & Burial for the year)
Right Margin: Goraj; The 6th day of April (Date of Burial)
Body of Entry: In the year as above on the 3rd day of April Szymon Mendyk, a custodian/guard of the forest, 90 years of age, died. He left behind 4 adult children.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 206, 207, 208, 209  Next Page 207 of 209

Jump to: