PolishOrigins Forum

 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 207, 208, 209  Next
Author
Message
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Replies: 2239
Location: Michigan City, Indiana

Back to top
Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:57 pm      Post subject: Re: Meklesz Marriage
Reply with quote

robvaivodiss wrote:
Can someone please translate this marriage record? I know it's a lot but it would be appreciated.


Hi,

I'll translate the record over the weekend. If you would kindly provide the geographical info (the name of the parish as a minimum) it will make it easier and less time consuming to do the translation.

Thank you.

Dave
View user's profile
Send private message
Richard Kuzniak



Joined: 04 Jul 2021
Replies: 33
Location: Toronto, Canada

Back to top
Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:05 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Thank you Dave! I learn a lot from your replies. Greatly appreciated.
View user's profile
Send private message
robvaivodiss



Joined: 14 Apr 2020
Replies: 5

Back to top
Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:10 pm      Post subject: Re: Meklesz Marriage
Reply with quote

dnowicki wrote:
robvaivodiss wrote:
Can someone please translate this marriage record? I know it's a lot but it would be appreciated.


Hi,

I'll translate the record over the weekend. If you would kindly provide the geographical info (the name of the parish as a minimum) it will make it easier and less time consuming to do the translation.

Thank you.

Dave


Thanks. This is from Oriava, Skole Region, Lviv Oblast, Ukraine
View user's profile
Send private message
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Replies: 2239
Location: Michigan City, Indiana

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:34 pm      Post subject: Re: Meklesz Marriage
Reply with quote

robvaivodiss wrote:
Can someone please translate this marriage record? I know it's a lot but it would be appreciated.


Hi,

I’ve seen plenty of bilingual (Latin & Ukrainian or Latin & Polish) certificates from Galicia but this is the first time I’ve encountered a bilingual register. All the others I’ve seen had headings only in Latin in the form determined by the Austrian government.

Here is the translation of the marriage record. I was not able to read the handwriting in the section which names the legion in which the groom served. I translated the given names into their Polish form. In some instances I added the English version for the sake of clarity. When the Polish and the English versions of a name are the same I used only one version of the name. I also used the Polish diacritical mark for the surname of the groom since that is how it appears in the record.

I hope that you find the following translation helpful to your research.

Dave

The line which begins Pag. 80 is just a housekeeping notation that the local dean examined page 80 (which was blank) on 4 January 1869
Col 1: Mensis = Month: The 3rd day of May, 1869
Col. 2: Numerus Domus = House Number: 55 (groom); 78 (bride)
Col.3: Nomen = Name (of the groom): Jan/John Mekłesz, the son of Nestor Mekłesz and Anna Hudowycz(?), farmers, Greek Catholic Rite, born and residing in Orawa, a soldier of the Legion (remainder illegible to me)
Col. 4: Religio = Religion
Col. 4a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b: Aut Alia = Or Another: Blank
Col. 5: Aetas = Age: 23
Col. 6: Coelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Col. 7: Viduus = Widower: Blank
Col. 8: Nomen = Name (of the bride): Katarzyna/Catherine, the daughter of Teodor/Theodore Polanczycz and of Maria Polanczycz, farmers, Greek Catholic Rite, born in Rykow(?) and residing in Orawa
Col. 9: Religio = Religion
Col. 9a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 9b: Aut Alia = Or Another: Blank
Col. 10: Aetas = Age: 22
Col. 11: Coelebs = Maiden: Checked
Col. 12: Vidua = Widow: Blank
Col. 13: Testes = Witnesses
Col. 13a: Nomen = Name(s): Nicetas Szczerbanowycz (&) Atanazy/Athanasius Poławkowycz
Col. 13b: Conditio = Condition/Status/Occupation: farmers; Greek Catholic Rite

Notations: (All the notes which follow deal with legalities for the marriage.): Permission of the Legion given at Hryj(?) on 8 May, 1869 Number 467 to enter into marriage with Katarzyna/Catherine Polanczycz.
The groom and the bride produced the consent of the minors and orphans court (instantia pupillaris*) dated 23 May, 1869 Number 892.
The groom produced a certificate of the banns dated 9 May, 1869 in Herman A??? extracted by the military chaplain Number 255.

Note: Instantia Pupillaris was the court which oversaw the affairs of minors and orphans.
View user's profile
Send private message
robvaivodiss



Joined: 14 Apr 2020
Replies: 5

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:50 pm      Post subject: Re: Meklesz Marriage
Reply with quote

dnowicki wrote:
robvaivodiss wrote:
Can someone please translate this marriage record? I know it's a lot but it would be appreciated.


Hi,

I’ve seen plenty of bilingual (Latin & Ukrainian or Latin & Polish) certificates from Galicia but this is the first time I’ve encountered a bilingual register. All the others I’ve seen had headings only in Latin in the form determined by the Austrian government.

Here is the translation of the marriage record. I was not able to read the handwriting in the section which names the legion in which the groom served. I translated the given names into their Polish form. In some instances I added the English version for the sake of clarity. When the Polish and the English versions of a name are the same I used only one version of the name. I also used the Polish diacritical mark for the surname of the groom since that is how it appears in the record.

I hope that you find the following translation helpful to your research.

Dave

The line which begins Pag. 80 is just a housekeeping notation that the local dean examined page 80 (which was blank) on 4 January 1869
Col 1: Mensis = Month: The 3rd day of May, 1869
Col. 2: Numerus Domus = House Number: 55 (groom); 78 (bride)
Col.3: Nomen = Name (of the groom): Jan/John Mekłesz, the son of Nestor Mekłesz and Anna Hudowycz(?), farmers, Greek Catholic Rite, born and residing in Orawa, a soldier of the Legion (remainder illegible to me)
Col. 4: Religio = Religion
Col. 4a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b: Aut Alia = Or Another: Blank
Col. 5: Aetas = Age: 23
Col. 6: Coelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Col. 7: Viduus = Widower: Blank
Col. 8: Nomen = Name (of the bride): Katarzyna/Catherine, the daughter of Teodor/Theodore Polanczycz and of Maria Polanczycz, farmers, Greek Catholic Rite, born in Rykow(?) and residing in Orawa
Col. 9: Religio = Religion
Col. 9a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 9b: Aut Alia = Or Another: Blank
Col. 10: Aetas = Age: 22
Col. 11: Coelebs = Maiden: Checked
Col. 12: Vidua = Widow: Blank
Col. 13: Testes = Witnesses
Col. 13a: Nomen = Name(s): Nicetas Szczerbanowycz (&) Atanazy/Athanasius Poławkowycz
Col. 13b: Conditio = Condition/Status/Occupation: farmers; Greek Catholic Rite

Notations: (All the notes which follow deal with legalities for the marriage.): Permission of the Legion given at Hryj(?) on 8 May, 1869 Number 467 to enter into marriage with Katarzyna/Catherine Polanczycz.
The groom and the bride produced the consent of the minors and orphans court (instantia pupillaris*) dated 23 May, 1869 Number 892.
The groom produced a certificate of the banns dated 9 May, 1869 in Herman A??? extracted by the military chaplain Number 255.

Note: Instantia Pupillaris was the court which oversaw the affairs of minors and orphans.


Thank you so much. This gives me a lot more leads on my genealogical research, especially for the Polanczycz side since they were not born in Orawa. That Rykow village is Rykiv nowadays and is near Orawa.
View user's profile
Send private message
jradis



Joined: 15 Jul 2021
Replies: 3
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Back to top
Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:11 pm      Post subject: marriage record for Joseph Ciechanowski
Reply with quote

Hi,
Could you please translate the marriage record for Joseph Ciechanowski and Agnes Nadulski (record #7)?

I've picked out these words so far:
Polanowice 17th of November in the year one thousand eight hundred twenty-seven, Laborer/Laboriosa Josephus Ciechenowski, ? Religion Catholic born on the day 19 March in the year 1802. Son of Joannes and Francisca Ciechenowski

Laborer/Laboriosa Agnes Nadulska maiden daughter Christophorus and Marianna Nadulski, born on the day ? January year 1809.

Thanks!
Jody



joseph_ciechanowski_agnes_naduski_marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.44 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

joseph_ciechanowski_agnes_naduski_marriage.jpg


View user's profile
Send private message
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Replies: 2239
Location: Michigan City, Indiana

Back to top
Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:07 pm      Post subject: Re: marriage record for Joseph Ciechanowski
Reply with quote

jradis wrote:
Hi,
Could you please translate the marriage record for Joseph Ciechanowski and Agnes Nadulski (record #7)?

I've picked out these words so far:
Polanowice 17th of November in the year one thousand eight hundred twenty-seven, Laborer/Laboriosa Josephus Ciechenowski, ? Religion Catholic born on the day 19 March in the year 1802. Son of Joannes and Francisca Ciechenowski

Laborer/Laboriosa Agnes Nadulska maiden daughter Christophorus and Marianna Nadulski, born on the day ? January year 1809.

Thanks!
Jody


Hi Jody,

You did a good job capturing some of the basic ideas of what is contained in the record but some of the words have a special technical meaning in the context of 19th Century partitioned Poland. The word laboriosus, a, um is an adjective rather than a noun and was used to describe a person as a peasant and is best translated as “industrious”. Given names in their Latin form were used in vital records but were never used in everyday life. I find it best to translate them into the vernacular, which in this case was Polish. I realize that there is a temptation to translate them into English, however, in reality that would be no better than leaving them in Latin. If a person was born and lived in Poland, the Polish version of the name was what they used. (For individuals who immigrated to an English speaking country one could be justified in translating the Latin name into both Polish and English.) For your convenience I’m attaching a list I compiled of Latin given names with their Polish and English versions.

When you read the translation it will probably be difficult for you to match the translation with the Latin text. The reason is that the priest composed the record with what in English are a series of subordinate clauses which do not follow typical English word order. I rearranged them into what makes better sense in English. However, some of the constructions are awkward and stilted in English but I translated them in a way which would keep the translation as faithful to the Latin text as possible.

Here follows the translation. I hope you find it useful.

Wishing you successful researching,

Dave

Col. 1: #7 (wedding for the year)
Col. 2: Polanowice
Col. 3: Body of Entry: In the year 1827 after the three banns had been proclaimed to the people gathered for the Divine Rites* during the solemnities of the parish Mass on consecutive Sunday Feast Days and since no legitimate impediment, neither canonical nor civil had been detected, the industrious** Józef Ciechanowski, a coachman/driver, a bachelor, a parishioner of the Roman Rite parish of Polanowice, born on the 19th day of March in the year 1802, the son of Jan and Franciszka Ciechanowski, a shepherd, lead into the companionship of his life the industrious** Agnieszka Nadulska, a maiden the daughter of Kristof and Maryanna Nadulski, born on the 8th day of January in the year 1809 in the presence of (their) parents. Whom I, M. Arkuszewski, curate of this place, on the 17th day of November of the current year, rightly blessed the marriage contracted before the Congregation in the presence of the witnesses Jan Gryl(?), a farmer, (&) Kajetan Kiszok(?), a farmer from Kraszyce.
Col. 4: Age of the Man: 25
Col. 5: Age of the Woman: 18

Notes: *Divina/Divine Rites: The Liturgy (in this context the Liturgy of the Mass).
** laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used in records to describe an individual as a peasant.



GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Filesize:  66.62 KB
 Downloaded:  21 Time(s)

View user's profile
Send private message
jradis



Joined: 15 Jul 2021
Replies: 3
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Back to top
Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:41 pm      Post subject: Re: marriage record for Joseph Ciechanowski
Reply with quote

dnowicki wrote:
jradis wrote:
Hi,
Could you please translate the marriage record for Joseph Ciechanowski and Agnes Nadulski (record #7)?

I've picked out these words so far:
Polanowice 17th of November in the year one thousand eight hundred twenty-seven, Laborer/Laboriosa Josephus Ciechenowski, ? Religion Catholic born on the day 19 March in the year 1802. Son of Joannes and Francisca Ciechenowski

Laborer/Laboriosa Agnes Nadulska maiden daughter Christophorus and Marianna Nadulski, born on the day ? January year 1809.

Thanks!
Jody


Hi Jody,

You did a good job capturing some of the basic ideas of what is contained in the record but some of the words have a special technical meaning in the context of 19th Century partitioned Poland. The word laboriosus, a, um is an adjective rather than a noun and was used to describe a person as a peasant and is best translated as “industrious”. Given names in their Latin form were used in vital records but were never used in everyday life. I find it best to translate them into the vernacular, which in this case was Polish. I realize that there is a temptation to translate them into English, however, in reality that would be no better than leaving them in Latin. If a person was born and lived in Poland, the Polish version of the name was what they used. (For individuals who immigrated to an English speaking country one could be justified in translating the Latin name into both Polish and English.) For your convenience I’m attaching a list I compiled of Latin given names with their Polish and English versions.

When you read the translation it will probably be difficult for you to match the translation with the Latin text. The reason is that the priest composed the record with what in English are a series of subordinate clauses which do not follow typical English word order. I rearranged them into what makes better sense in English. However, some of the constructions are awkward and stilted in English but I translated them in a way which would keep the translation as faithful to the Latin text as possible.

Here follows the translation. I hope you find it useful.

Wishing you successful researching,

Dave

Col. 1: #7 (wedding for the year)
Col. 2: Polanowice
Col. 3: Body of Entry: In the year 1827 after the three banns had been proclaimed to the people gathered for the Divine Rites* during the solemnities of the parish Mass on consecutive Sunday Feast Days and since no legitimate impediment, neither canonical nor civil had been detected, the industrious** Józef Ciechanowski, a coachman/driver, a bachelor, a parishioner of the Roman Rite parish of Polanowice, born on the 19th day of March in the year 1802, the son of Jan and Franciszka Ciechanowski, a shepherd, lead into the companionship of his life the industrious** Agnieszka Nadulska, a maiden the daughter of Kristof and Maryanna Nadulski, born on the 8th day of January in the year 1809 in the presence of (their) parents. Whom I, M. Arkuszewski, curate of this place, on the 17th day of November of the current year, rightly blessed the marriage contracted before the Congregation in the presence of the witnesses Jan Gryl(?), a farmer, (&) Kajetan Kiszok(?), a farmer from Kraszyce.
Col. 4: Age of the Man: 25
Col. 5: Age of the Woman: 18

Notes: *Divina/Divine Rites: The Liturgy (in this context the Liturgy of the Mass).
** laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used in records to describe an individual as a peasant.


Hi Dave,
Thanks so much! This helps a lot.
Thank you!
Jody
View user's profile
Send private message
Kurt1322



Joined: 20 Sep 2017
Replies: 59
Location: Imperial, MO

Back to top
Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:56 am      Post subject: Birth Date vs Baptism Date?
Reply with quote

I appreciate any input as to the birthdate of my 2xGGF Anthony Kostecki. I think that the note about his birth refers back to the same day as the baptism, but I was leaving an outside chance that it referred back to the date of the previous record or entry?


1842 (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.58 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1842 (1).jpg


View user's profile
Send private message
your_parades



Joined: 07 Mar 2021
Replies: 12
Location: Canada/Germany

Back to top
Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:10 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hi,

I have two records for translation and I hope they can help shed some light on my ancestors 7 and 8 generations back. They are both from the parish of Piotrkow Trybunalski, but if you can make out the names of the villages, it would be appreciated!

They are:
- the baptismal record of Franciszek Frankiewicz, from 1771,
- the baptismal record of Marianna Frankiewicz, from 1796

Thanks so much!



Baptism - Marianna Frankiewicz - September 1796 - Parish of Piotrkow Trybunalski.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  258.57 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Baptism - Marianna Frankiewicz - September 1796 - Parish of Piotrkow Trybunalski.png



Baptism - Franciszek Frankiewicz - 1771 - Parish of Piortkow Trybunalski.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  142.1 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Baptism - Franciszek Frankiewicz - 1771 - Parish of Piortkow Trybunalski.png


View user's profile
Send private message
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Replies: 2239
Location: Michigan City, Indiana

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:30 am      Post subject: Re: Birth Date vs Baptism Date?
Reply with quote

Kurt1322 wrote:
I appreciate any input as to the birthdate of my 2xGGF Anthony Kostecki. I think that the note about his birth refers back to the same day as the baptism, but I was leaving an outside chance that it referred back to the date of the previous record or entry?


Hi Kurt,

The entry states that Antoni was baptized on the same day on which he was born, namely January 10, 1842. Here is a translation of the record. I hope it resolves any doubts.

Dave

Left Margin: Żoń; 10th day (of January 1842)
Body of Entry: I, the same, baptized an infant by the name of Antoni, the son of the legitimate marital union of the industrious* Marcin Kiostecki, a settler, and of Rozalia Szafrańska, born on the same day (10 January) at the 3rd hour in the morning. The sponsors were Józef Kostecki, a settler, and Maryanna the consort of the settler Andrzej Behn.

Note: * laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to describe an individual as a peasant.
**colonus/settler: the word originally was used with the meaning of settler but later and in different locations was used with a variety of meanings such as a poor farmer or a peasant who owed service for his land.
View user's profile
Send private message
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Replies: 2239
Location: Michigan City, Indiana

Back to top
Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:26 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

your_parades wrote:
Hi,

I have two records for translation and I hope they can help shed some light on my ancestors 7 and 8 generations back. They are both from the parish of Piotrkow Trybunalski, but if you can make out the names of the villages, it would be appreciated!

They are:
- the baptismal record of Franciszek Frankiewicz, from 1771,
- the baptismal record of Marianna Frankiewicz, from 1796

Thanks so much!


Hi,

The village in the 1796 baptism is not a village but the town of Piotrków. The village in the 1771 baptism was Wielka Wieś. It no longer exists as a separate entity but is now part of the town of Piotrków Trybunalski.

Posting records as png images does not allow the images to be enlarged, which makes it difficult to see the words. It is better to post the entries as jpeg images as it allows them to be read more easily.

The translations follow.

Dave



1796 Baptism: Right Margin: Maryanna (daughter of) Stanisław and Jadwiga
Piotrków*
On the 2nd day (of September) I, who is (named) above, baptized Maryanna (daughter) of the legitimate Catholic marital union of Stanisław and Jadwiga Frankiewicz. The sponsors were Grzegorz Brański and Agnieszka Mroczkowska. (illegible abbreviated word)** Józef Mroczkowski, Otylia Brańska.

Notes: *Petricovia is the Latin version of Piotrków. !9th Century sources give the name of the town simply as Piotrków. The adjective Trybunalski evidently was added after WWI. A long entry in the Słownik geograficzny describes the town and its history: http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/?find_in=fulltext&volume_id=1&find_text=piotrk%C3%B3w&search_volume=all&x=41&y=4

**The illegible abbreviation simply indicates that the spouses of the sponsors were also present for the baptism.

1771 Baptism: Right Margin: Franciszek (son of) Tomasz & Katarzyna
In the year which is above on the 31st day of May, the same who is above baptized the son of the legitimate marital union of Tomasz and Katarzyna Frankiewicz by the name of Franciszek from Wielka Wieś*. Those lifting him up** were the upright*** Mikołaj Szonczynski(?) and Katarzyna Błonska, a maiden (illegible word).

Notes: *Magna Villa/Wielka Wieś: The village was to the east of Piotrków and is now part of the town (cf. Attached section of the map of South Prussia by David Gilly (1802-03). South Prussia only existed from 1795 until 1807 when the area became part of the Duchy of Warsaw during the Napoleonic Wars. The Congress of Vienna redrew the borders of the 3 partitioned areas of Poland in 1815 and the Duchy of Warsaw ceased to exist.

**levantes/those lifting (him) up: a circumlocution for the sponsors aka godparents.

***honestus/upright: an adjective used to designate individuals as peasants.



piotr.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.19 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

piotr.png


View user's profile
Send private message
starshadow
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 09 May 2013
Replies: 277

Back to top
Post Posted: 4 Days ago at 2:10 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Please help me translate this passage from a document from Szczepankowo dated 1741-43. I'm not sure if I cropped the complete sentence. I can provide the whole page if necessary. The person I'm mostly interested in is Joannes Wojcik.


1741-43.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  401.22 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1741-43.jpg


View user's profile
Send private message
starshadow
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 09 May 2013
Replies: 277

Back to top
Post Posted: 4 Days ago at 4:20 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Please help me translate this passage also. Once again I'm unsure if I got the complete sentence. The person of interest is Antoni Wojcik.


1741-43-d.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  233.72 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1741-43-d.jpg


View user's profile
Send private message
sonofvolynia



Joined: 4 Days ago at 7:11 am
Replies: 6

Back to top
Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:06 am      Post subject: In need of Latin document translation
Reply with quote

Need translation of Birth record for Ernestine


Ernestine Birth Zhitomir.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.01 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Ernestine Birth Zhitomir.png


View user's profile
Send private message
Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 207, 208, 209  Next Page 208 of 209

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB ©

© 2021 COPYRIGHTS BY THE OWNER OF POLISHORIGINS.COM