PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 208, 209, 210 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:59 pm      Post subject:

starshadow wrote:
Please help me translate this passage from a document from Szczepankowo dated 1741-43. I'm not sure if I cropped the complete sentence. I can provide the whole page if necessary. The person I'm mostly interested in is Joannes Wojcik.

Hi Starshadow,

Both the snippets of documents you posted are missing both beginning and concluding text which makes trying to get a handle on the content very much akin to showing up at a theater three hours into a four hour movie and then leaving after ten minutes and then trying to explain what the movie is about. What I can say for certain is that both Jan and Antoni Woycik are peasants (laboriosi/industrious), as are the remaining individuals beginning with Maciej Sadlek up to and including Paweł. It appears that the two post are either parts of two legal document or of one document. These documents appear to be what we would term a personal injury case involving someone named above (but not included in the snippet). It also seems that all the named individuals were witnesses of the injuries suffered by the above named injured party. Antoni Woycik also appears as a witness in the same or another personal injury case.

That is about all I can tell you about the documents and it appears that neither Jan nor Antoni were central players in the case/cases it is extremely unlikely that the parts which were omitted would provide you with additional details regarding Jan & Antoni. Sorry, but that is all the record/s say about them.

I hope that this helps you.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:01 pm      Post subject: Re: In need of Latin document translation

sonofvolynia wrote:
Need translation of Birth record for Ernestine

The document you posted is in German, not Latin. Since you posted the identical document requesting a translation from German I’m certain that Michael will handle your request.

Dave
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:03 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
starshadow wrote:
Please help me translate this passage from a document from Szczepankowo dated 1741-43. I'm not sure if I cropped the complete sentence. I can provide the whole page if necessary. The person I'm mostly interested in is Joannes Wojcik.

Hi Starshadow,

Both the snippets of documents you posted are missing both beginning and concluding text which makes trying to get a handle on the content very much akin to showing up at a theater three hours into a four hour movie and then leaving after ten minutes and then trying to explain what the movie is about. What I can say for certain is that both Jan and Antoni Woycik are peasants (laboriosi/industrious), as are the remaining individuals beginning with Maciej Sadlek up to and including Paweł. It appears that the two post are either parts of two legal document or of one document. These documents appear to be what we would term a personal injury case involving someone named above (but not included in the snippet). It also seems that all the named individuals were witnesses of the injuries suffered by the above named injured party. Antoni Woycik also appears as a witness in the same or another personal injury case.

That is about all I can tell you about the documents and it appears that neither Jan nor Antoni were central players in the case/cases it is extremely unlikely that the parts which were omitted would provide you with additional details regarding Jan & Antoni. Sorry, but that is all the record/s say about them.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I was hesitant to post whole pages, since I didn't want to overburden you. The whole document is several pages long. I've been trying to translate parts of them myself, but there are so many variant word spellings which aren't making sense. Maybe I'll give you a list of words I can't figure out.

Here's the link to the whole document:

https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/en/jednostka/-/jednostka/14081784#odsylacz_opis

This above document was discovered by my cousin who lives in Poland. It seems to have some historical significance. I've never heard about it before though.

There are several people named in the document, but we're mainly interested in the parts about Jan Wojcik, since he's our 6th great grandfather. Also Antoni Wojcik, who might have been his brother. Were they just witnesses, or were they among the injured?

I noticed the titles saying "Vulnera Laboriosi Jan Wojcik, etc.", so I assumed that meant they might have been injured.

I would be grateful for any further light you can shed on this story.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:34 am      Post subject:

starshadow wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
starshadow wrote:

Hi Starshadow,

Dave

Thanks Dave. I was hesitant to post whole pages, since I didn't want to overburden you. The whole document is several pages long. I've been trying to translate parts of them myself, but there are so many variant word spellings which aren't making sense. Maybe I'll give you a list of words I can't figure out.

Here's the link to the whole document:

https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/en/jednostka/-/jednostka/14081784#odsylacz_opis

This above document was discovered by my cousin who lives in Poland. It seems to have some historical significance. I've never heard about it before though.

There are several people named in the document, but we're mainly interested in the parts about Jan Wojcik, since he's our 6th great grandfather. Also Antoni Wojcik, who might have been his brother. Were they just witnesses, or were they among the injured?

I noticed the titles saying "Vulnera Laboriosi Jan Wojcik, etc.", so I assumed that meant they might have been injured.

I would be grateful for any further light you can shed on this story.

Hi Starshadow,

The full document does make things much clearer. Currently I don’t have the time to carefully read the entire document but will do so in the relatively near future. (Fruit and vegetable harvest time is just beginning here which translates into a lot of time spent on garden chores and preserving the harvest. A few years ago I would have spent the time needed for the document in the evening but no longer have the energy to do that.) I will deal with your document but I can’t say when that will happen.

Feel free to post your list of words if you would like to do so.

Until later,

Dave
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:07 am      Post subject:

No problem Dave. I'll get to work on that word list.
Kurt1322

Replies: 66

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:07 am      Post subject: Occupation Translation Help Please

I would appreciate help with the official translation of the occupation for my 2xGGU Florian Tobiasz, who lived in Lubaczow. I believe that he was a Police Officer in the 1st 3 records from 1897, 1899, & 1900. He was discharged from the Austrian Army on Dec 31, 1901 and then the record from 1902 changes to "Civil Magistrate?" He left for the US in late 1902.

I only attached the snips of the entry for the Father.

Any insight would be highly appreciated.

Kurt

1897-1902_Florian Tobiasz Occupation.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  284.69 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1897-1902_Florian Tobiasz Occupation.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:26 pm      Post subject: Re: Occupation Translation Help Please

Kurt1322 wrote:
I would appreciate help with the official translation of the occupation for my 2xGGU Florian Tobiasz, who lived in Lubaczow. I believe that he was a Police Officer in the 1st 3 records from 1897, 1899, & 1900. He was discharged from the Austrian Army on Dec 31, 1901 and then the record from 1902 changes to "Civil Magistrate?" He left for the US in late 1902.

I only attached the snips of the entry for the Father.

Any insight would be highly appreciated.

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

Except for the final record from 1902 the occupation is, as you surmised, a police officer. In the 1897, 1899, & 1900 entries the text reads “apparitor (officer/servant) politiae (of the police). The first entry from 1902 is a variation which reads “custos securitatis magistratus” which is a bit redundant since it translates “guard, officer/official of security”. It is a bit difficult to put the words in good order since magistratus is a 4th Declension noun and the form as it appears in the entry could be either the Nominative Singular or the Genitive Singular which makes it difficult to know whether it is intended to stand in apposition with custos or with securitatis but the bottom line is that police or security officer works. The final entry from 1902 is the outlier since the occupation is agricolae/farmer.

Always keep in mind that these records are not great works of literature and that one should not look for too much deep meaning in them.

Hope this helps.

Dave
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:01 pm      Post subject:

Please help me figure out this word. I can't make out the spelling. Is it "tetuna"?

tetuna.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.9 KB
 Viewed:  7284 Time(s)

tetuna.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:33 pm      Post subject:

starshadow wrote:
Please help me figure out this word. I can't make out the spelling. Is it "tetuna"?

Hi Starshadow,

Sorry, Charlie, but Te Tuna isn’t good enough for Starkist. Seriously, I am quite sure that the word is totum from the adjective totus, a, um, the whole, entire, complete. It could be used as an adjective modifying a noun or pronoun or it could be the neuter of the adjective being used as a substantive (totum, i, n. the whole). In order to be 100% certain it would be necessary to see the word in context. Some examples of this word in English derivatives are total, totally, in toto, totality, etc.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

Dave
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:16 am      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
starshadow wrote:

Hi Starshadow,

Sorry, Charlie, but Te Tuna isn’t good enough for Starkist. Seriously, I am quite sure that the word is totum from the adjective totus, a, um, the whole, entire, complete. It could be used as an adjective modifying a noun or pronoun or it could be the neuter of the adjective being used as a substantive (totum, i, n. the whole). In order to be 100% certain it would be necessary to see the word in context. Some examples of this word in English derivatives are total, totally, in toto, totality, etc.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

Dave

Ha ha. Thanks Dave. Totum looks right.
SpeedDemonND

Replies: 18

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:02 pm      Post subject: Marriage record partial translation

Would someone be able to help me translate part of a marriage record?

I understand the top portion with the names of the bride and groom, but can someone please help translate the bottom section that's in paragraph form.

If possible, both the Latin and English translation would be helpful, as I am having trouble making out the words, and can potentially use the Latin translation to help decipher other records I come across on my own.

Also, in the top half, the third column after the groom and bride’s names is titled “Aetas”, which I thought was a reference to their age. But it looks like it lists “823” for the groom and “830” for the bride. What is this referring to?

Thank you all in advance.

struz-palaniuk1848--marriage-record.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  328.07 KB

struz-palaniuk1848--marriage-record.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:01 pm      Post subject: Re: Marriage record partial translation

SpeedDemonND wrote:
Would someone be able to help me translate part of a marriage record?

I understand the top portion with the names of the bride and groom, but can someone please help translate the bottom section that's in paragraph form.

If possible, both the Latin and English translation would be helpful, as I am having trouble making out the words, and can potentially use the Latin translation to help decipher other records I come across on my own.

Also, in the top half, the third column after the groom and bride’s names is titled “Aetas”, which I thought was a reference to their age. But it looks like it lists “823” for the groom and “830” for the bride. What is this referring to?

Hi,

The column with the heading aetas does mean age. In this record the age of the parties was given by naming the year of birth—for the groom 1823 and for the bride 1830. The line above the 830 indicates that the year 1830 was abbreviated as 830. The line is missing above 823 but the convention of abbreviating the year is the same.

The bottom notation deals with legalities involved in the wedding, which is standard in marriage records from Galicia. Usually when a parent or the parents of the bride or the groom are deceased that fact is noted in the groom and the bride’s columns. However, that is not the case in this record. Here the fact the bride’s parents are deceased comes in the back door, so to speak, in the legal notation. The bride’s co-guardians, Kazimierz Czop and, most likely, Michał Czop, are relatives of her late mother. It is worth noting that the bride and the groom needed the consent of the landowner—one of the feudal obligations which existed between peasants and the noble landowner. 1848 is an important year in the social history of the region since it was the year in which the peasants were emancipated in Austrian ruled lands. Emancipation eventually brought to an end the need for peasants to obtain the permission of the noble landowner ln order to marry. However, the feudal mindset on the part of both nobles and peasants did not immediately disappear upon emancipation and in some instances continued to exist even though feudal obligations no longer had legal force.

The transcription of the Latin text of the legal notation most likely will not help you to decipher similar notations in other marriage records since each notation reflected the circumstances involved in a particular marriage and the chances of using a given notation as a template for other legal notations are quite close to nil.

For what it is worth here follows the transcription and translation.

Latin text of notation: Recepta mutua declaratione partium contrahentium et dato consensu contutoris: Kazimierz Czop—Jam cum consensu D(om)i(n)i* Sem???n tam pro sponso quam pro sponsa pupilla dato 31 Octobris 1848 Nro 452.
Bened(ixit) Joannes Podepski(?) curatus.

English translation: After having received the mutual declaration of the contracting parties and after the consent of the co-guardian: Kazimierz Czop had been given—already with the consent of Pan* Sem???n both for the groom and for the motherless orphan bride given on 31 October 1848 Number 452 Jan Podepski(?), the curate, blessed (the marriage).

Note: The most appropriate translation of the Latin “dominus” into Polish is the title “Pan”.

Wishing you success,

Dave
khill1881

Replies: 90

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:41 pm      Post subject: Constantia Eliasz

I know that this is the death record for Constantia Eliasz and I have been able to figure out that she lived in the village of Walkowy, Stara Kiszewa parish and died May 20, 1813. What I can't decipher is her age. The only other information I have about her is that she gave birth to a daughter in December, 1803. If it helps, this is the link to the whole page https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJL-CSVD-4?i=157&cat=162165

Constantia Eliasz.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.93 KB

Constantia Eliasz.JPG

Send e-mail
SpeedDemonND

Replies: 18

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:24 pm      Post subject: Re: Marriage record partial translation

SpeedDemonND wrote:
Latin text of notation: Recepta mutua declaratione partium contrahentium et dato consensu contutoris: Kazimierz Czop—Jam cum consensu D(om)i(n)i* Sem???n tam pro sponso quam pro sponsa pupilla dato 31 Octobris 1848 Nro 452.
Bened(ixit) Joannes Podepski(?) curatus.

English translation: After having received the mutual declaration of the contracting parties and after the consent of the co-guardian: Kazimierz Czop had been given—already with the consent of Pan* Sem???n both for the groom and for the motherless orphan bride given on 31 October 1848 Number 452 Jan Podepski(?), the curate, blessed (the marriage).

Note: The most appropriate translation of the Latin “dominus” into Polish is the title “Pan”.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Dnowicki,

Thank you for the help and historical information you provided. I should have realized the “823” and “830” stood for the years as it makes too much sense now after the fact, of course!
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:31 pm      Post subject: Re: Constantia Eliasz

khill1881 wrote:
I know that this is the death record for Constantia Eliasz and I have been able to figure out that she lived in the village of Walkowy, Stara Kiszewa parish and died May 20, 1813. What I can't decipher is her age. The only other information I have about her is that she gave birth to a daughter in December, 1803. If it helps, this is the link to the whole page https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJL-CSVD-4?i=157&cat=162165

Hi,

The link was helpful. Thanks. The age was entered in Arabic numerals which meant that determining the age was actually a question of interpreting the handwritten numerals. After looking at the various numbers found on the pages of the link I concluded that the only realistic interpretation of the numbers is 77. That age is far removed from the possible range of age for someone who had given birth to a daughter ten years earlier (at age 67). After reading the 1803 birth & baptism record it became clear that the woman who died in 1813 and the woman who gave birth in 1803 were not the same person. That fact is clear from one letter (n) which is found in the 1803 record and not in the 1813 record. The suffixes -owna and -owa were used in 18th,, 19th and early 20th Century Polish to distinguish single women from married women. The woman in the 1803 record was the DAUGHTER of a man who surname was Eliasz and the woman in the 1813 record was the WIFE of a man whose surname was Eliasz. It is certainly possible that the two women are mother and daughter but more research is needed in order to make that determination.

Translations of the two records follow.

Wishing you successful research,’’

Dave

Death Record
On the 20th day of May Konstancja Eliaszowa*, 77 years of age, died and was buried in the cemetery of Kiszewa.

Note: *the suffix -owa was used for married women, meaning the “wife of...”

Birth & Baptism Record
On the 5th day of December, I, Jan Chmielinski, the vicar of Kiszewa, baptized an infant born on the 4th of the same month at the hour of 12 midnight of the mother Konstancja Eliaszowna*, the father being unknown, to whom I gave the name Katarzyna. The sponsors aka godparents were Andrzej Gałąski and Maryanna Gałąskowa**.

Notes: *The suffix -owna was used for single women, meaning the “daughter of... “
**the suffix -owa was used for married women, meaning the “wife of...”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 208, 209, 210 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 209 of 274

Jump to: