PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:58 pm      Post subject: Lutynski and Kruhelski/Krowelski in Suwalki

Greetings to all from a new member!

I am assisting my sister-in-law who is wanting to learn about her Polish ancestry. So far, we cannot find out much beyond her great-grandfather who immigrated to the U.S. We would appreciate any help finding older generations and it would be wonderful to find cousins living in Poland!

This is what we know:
Anthony (Anton) Lutynski, born 1872-1874 in “Russian Poland” according to 1910 and 1920 U.S. Census, married to Antonina Kruhelski/Krowelska/Krawalzanka (we have seen multiple spellings of this name on forms) some time around 1900 in Poland. They had two children before immigrating to the U.S.

I believe the immigrated separately, first to England and then he went first to the U.S. and she came later with the children. They had more children in the U.S. and settled in Wisconsin. He died in Milwaukee in 1948 and she died in 1946.

I have Antonina’s immigration record, which states she came from “Jasionow”, which I suspect could be Jasionowo? Her daughter Wladislawa’s and son Jan/John’s record state they came from “Suwalki”. They immigrated in 1906. I do not have any evidence of Anton being naturalized, or his birth record, death record, or marriage certificate, which would give me more information.

I suspect that I should be looking in the Suwalki area for both family lines, but am having trouble finding any records that match with certainty. Another complication is the family legend that Anton was born Jewish with a surname that sounded like Schiffonsky or Schcfzcynsky and that he changed his name to Lutynski when he married Antonina, who was Catholic. However, I don’t have any proof of that claim, so I don’t know for sure which surname I am looking for.

Any guidance would be most appreciated! I was pointed to this forum by a most helpful person on Ancestry.com’s forum who already gave me some great advice.
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:00 am      Post subject: Re: Lutynski and Kruhelski/Krowelski in Suwalki

jwaldo11 wrote:
Greetings to all from a new member!

I am assisting my sister-in-law who is wanting to learn about her Polish ancestry. So far, we cannot find out much beyond her great-grandfather who immigrated to the U.S. We would appreciate any help finding older generations and it would be wonderful to find cousins living in Poland!

This is what we know:
Anthony (Anton) Lutynski, born 1872-1874 in “Russian Poland” according to 1910 and 1920 U.S. Census, married to Antonina Kruhelski/Krowelska/Krawalzanka (we have seen multiple spellings of this name on forms) some time around 1900 in Poland. They had two children before immigrating to the U.S.

I believe the immigrated separately, first to England and then he went first to the U.S. and she came later with the children. They had more children in the U.S. and settled in Wisconsin. He died in Milwaukee in 1948 and she died in 1946.

I have Antonina’s immigration record, which states she came from “Jasionow”, which I suspect could be Jasionowo? Her daughter Wladislawa’s and son Jan/John’s record state they came from “Suwalki”. They immigrated in 1906. I do not have any evidence of Anton being naturalized, or his birth record, death record, or marriage certificate, which would give me more information.

I suspect that I should be looking in the Suwalki area for both family lines, but am having trouble finding any records that match with certainty. Another complication is the family legend that Anton was born Jewish with a surname that sounded like Schiffonsky or Schcfzcynsky and that he changed his name to Lutynski when he married Antonina, who was Catholic. However, I don’t have any proof of that claim, so I don’t know for sure which surname I am looking for.

Any guidance would be most appreciated! I was pointed to this forum by a most helpful person on Ancestry.com’s forum who already gave me some great advice.

There is a birth record in the Suwałki romancatholic parish book from 1874 for Antoni Lutyński. Son of Andrzej and Weronika nee Sułanowska. He was born in Huta. Close to Huta there is a village Jasionowo.

PAYPAL: [email protected]
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:13 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

I did some looking around, and I am pretty sure I found Antonina's birth record (see attached).

She was born in the parish of Wizajny (in Suwalki County) in 1880. This needs to be confirmed by Marcel who can translate the record for you. It is akt 14 on the page.

I got to this point by looking at Family Trees on Ancestry that had her name. Many of them show her place of birth as Okliny which is part of the parish of Wizajny. I then went to the archives and found Roman Catholic records online. Here is the link to the archive with her record as well (not sure the link will work so I am attaching the record as well):

https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/en/jednostka/-/jednostka/14209243?_Jednostka_delta=20&_Jednostka_resetCur=false&_Jednostka_cur=1

Marcel, can you check this out and see if this is a birth record for Antonina Kruhelska? According to other family trees, parents should be: Stanislaw Kruhelski and Anna Anuszkiewicz.

All the best,
Cynthia

1880-14 Antonina Kruhelska birth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  830.83 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1880-14 Antonina Kruhelska birth.jpg

Send e-mail
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:54 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello,

I did some looking around, and I am pretty sure I found Antonina's birth record (see attached).

She was born in the parish of Wizajny (in Suwalki County) in 1880. This needs to be confirmed by Marcel who can translate the record for you. It is akt 14 on the page.

I got to this point by looking at Family Trees on Ancestry that had her name. Many of them show her place of birth as Okliny which is part of the parish of Wizajny. I then went to the archives and found Roman Catholic records online. Here is the link to the archive with her record as well (not sure the link will work so I am attaching the record as well):

https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/en/jednostka/-/jednostka/14209243?_Jednostka_delta=20&_Jednostka_resetCur=false&_Jednostka_cur=1

Marcel, can you check this out and see if this is a birth record for Antonina Kruhelska? According to other family trees, parents should be: Stanislaw Kruhelski and Anna Anuszkiewicz.

All the best,
Cynthia

Nr 14
Makowszczyzna
Krugelska Antonina

It happened in Wiżajny, on January 6th/18th, 1880, at 10 p.m.
Appeared personally Stanisław Krugelski, farmer, living in Makowszczyzna, 30 years old, in the presence of Józef Sowul, 40 years old and Adam Deresz, 30 years old, both farmers living ....(the priest did not write where; I think it was a typo error), and presented Us a female infant child, informing that the child was born in this village (Makowszczyzna), on thr 4th/16th day of the current month and year, at 5 p.m., of his legal wife, Anna nee Anuszkiewicz, 30 years old.
At The Holy baptsm, held today by the priest Jan Więcewicz, the child was given the name: Antonina, and the godparents were: Tomasz Zawadzki and Franciszka Kaganowska.
This record was read to the declarant and the witnesses, who were all illiterate and it was signed by Us only.

Priest Jan Więcewicz, parish-priest, serving as Civil Registrar.

mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:03 pm      Post subject:

hello again,

So I did a bit more looking around in the parish book for Wizajny. I didn't find their marriage record yet.

But, I think I found the 1904 birth record for their daughter, Wladyslawa. It is akt#9 on the page. Again, Marcel will need to confirm it because the only name I can make out clearly is Antoni Lutynski.

See attached.

Cynthia

1904-9 Wladyslawa Lutynska birth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.63 MB

1904-9 Wladyslawa Lutynska birth.jpg

Send e-mail
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:14 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
hello again,

So I did a bit more looking around in the parish book for Wizajny. I didn't find their marriage record yet.

But, I think I found the 1904 birth record for their daughter, Wladyslawa. It is akt#9 on the page. Again, Marcel will need to confirm it because the only name I can make out clearly is Antoni Lutynski.

See attached.

Cynthia

Nr 9
Marianka
Władysława Lutyńska

It happened in Wiżajny, on January 8th/21st, 1904, at 3 p.m.
Appeared personally Antoni Łutyński, farmer, living in Marianka, 31 years old, in the presence of Grzegorz Kozłowski, 28 years old and Antoni Mościński, 40 years old, farmers living in Marianka and presented Us a female child, informing that the child was born yesterday, in Marianka, at 5 a.m., of his legal wife, Antonina nee Krowielska, 24 years old.
At The Holy Baptism, held today, by the priest Franciszek Maciukiewicz, the child was given the name: Władysława, and the godparents were: Grzegorz Kozłowski and Marianna Sowul.
This record was read to the declarant and the witnesses, who were all illiterate and it was signed by Us only.

Priest Franciszek Maciukiewicz.

mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:25 pm      Post subject:

Wow! you are fast Marcel!!

I hope Jwaldo comes back to see this progress. The 1904 birth record you translated for Wladyslawa is definitely his family.

However, I am unsure of the 1880 birth record you translated for Antonina. The last name is so different in each of these records. The first birth record is Antonina Krugelska and the second is Antonina Krowielska.

The age of the mother in the 1904 Wladyslawa birth record matches the 1880 Antonina birth record. The given name of the father in the 1880 birth record matches what I have seen in other family trees and so does the full name of the mother.

Marcel, what do you think? Could the priest have spelled the name wrong in one of these records? Do you think they are the same Antonina?

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
jwaldo11

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:45 pm      Post subject:

Hello, this is wonderful information!
It is amazing to me what a collective group can accomplish and start to solve a problem I have been struggling with for some time. Smile

I am not sure what to think of the different surnames for Antonina. Perhaps if I could find another record that matches one of the surnames I would feel more confident in one of them.

It is also appearing likely at this point that Antoni did not change his name and that his name at birth was Lutynski or some variation, but I am still not ruling anything out.

I am not sure why the family was back in Poland in 1904 after being in England for the birth of their first child Jan/John in 1902. Although family stories say that Anton was conscripted/drafted into "Kaiser's army" and he left the country to avoid it. I don't know the history of that time and area very well so I don't know if that could be true.

Thank you again, I am so glad I found this forum.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:28 am      Post subject:

jwaldo11 wrote:
Hello, this is wonderful information!
It is amazing to me what a collective group can accomplish and start to solve a problem I have been struggling with for some time. Smile

I am not sure what to think of the different surnames for Antonina. Perhaps if I could find another record that matches one of the surnames I would feel more confident in one of them.

It is also appearing likely at this point that Antoni did not change his name and that his name at birth was Lutynski or some variation, but I am still not ruling anything out.

I am not sure why the family was back in Poland in 1904 after being in England for the birth of their first child Jan/John in 1902. Although family stories say that Anton was conscripted/drafted into "Kaiser's army" and he left the country to avoid it. I don't know the history of that time and area very well so I don't know if that could be true.

Thank you again, I am so glad I found this forum.

Hi,

The family lore about leaving Europe to avoid conscription may have some basis in fact but has the details wrong. The region where Antoni lived was in the Russian Partition not the German. He would have left to avoid conscription into the Russian army of Tsar (also spelled Czar) Nicholas II. The lore seems to have picked the wrong cousin. (Tsar Nicholas II and Kaiser Wilhelm were cousins. They were related through descendants of Queen Victoria of England.) Conscription into the Tsar’s army was something to be avoided and many Poles left Europe to avoid conscription. The years around 1904 and 1905 saw an uptick in the number of conscripts needed because of the Russo-Japanese War (Feb. 1904-Sept, 1905) as well as the civil unrest in the Russian Empire as part of the “Revolution of 1905” which eventually led to the Russian Revolution of 1917. Quotas for conscripts were set for the various subdivisions of the Russian Empire and it was up to the local authorities to fill their quota. In order to legally emigrate from Russian Poland a man of the age for military service needed to show proof of either completion of service or exemption from service. Some men left Europe legally but others left illegally. Bottom line is that once a man got out he tried to stay as far away from the Russian Empire as possible. In 1904 Antoni would have been at the upper age level for conscription and he may have felt safe until the Russo-Japanese War began.

Wishing you successful research,

Dave
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:26 am      Post subject:

Hello Jwaldo, Marcel, and Dave,

We now have a document from Poland (Wladyslawa’s 1904 birth) that places Anton in Poland and I also found 2 more US documents that place him in Wisconsin: 1. 1905 Wisconsin Census, and 2: WW1 draft registration. See attached. This narrows the window for his immigration.

He was present in Poland for the baptism of his daughter in January 1904. He was also present for the Wisconsin state census of June 1905. This gives a narrow window of 18 months for his immigration to the US. Anything you find that doesn’t fit this window can be ignored.

Also, Antonina’s 1906 passenger list indicates last residence as Jasionowo. There are 3 villages with the same name in Suwalki county. One is near Huta as Marcel indicated, but the other Jasionowo is about 12 km southeast of Wizajny. It is near Rutka-Tartak, but I don’t know the parish for that village. Dave, can you help locate the parish? It might be worth checking for marriage records in that parish. The Suwalki parish for Huta should also be researched.

On another note, I checked Wizajny parish books for 1872-1880 births and did not find a birth record for Antoni Lutynski. I also checked marriages for 1898-1905 and did not find their marriage record. So, they were married in another parish. Also, It seems after they returned from England, they stayed in Antonina’s parish for the birth of Wladyslawa (1904). Sometime afterwards, they moved to Jasionowo and Anton immigrated to the US (Jan 1904-June 1905). Antonina followed in 1906 with Jan and Wladyslawa.

It is a jigsaw puzzle!
All the best,
Cynthia

591CA9F8-3024-4096-9B12-23DAB39EC5EA.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  736.82 KB

591CA9F8-3024-4096-9B12-23DAB39EC5EA.jpeg

9C7F097D-A06C-41A8-860C-8C3BD9DA927D.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  236.72 KB

9C7F097D-A06C-41A8-860C-8C3BD9DA927D.jpeg

Send e-mail
jwaldo11

Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:57 am      Post subject:

Thank you Dave, Marcel, and Cynthia, that helps to clarify quite a bit!

I will attach the original document I was given that started the search for answers and you will see why I have already had quite a few false leads! It is clear that oral tradition is not a reliable source, despite good intentions. And sadly, the end result here is that we have lost connections to family in Poland. But hopefully not lost forever! I am feeling positive about having a narrower window to search for Anton's immigration. Also another helpful source, ZlaticaBeca via Ancestry.com Forum pointed out that on the 1910 and 1920 U.S. Census Antoni had marked as filing for initial naturalization paperwork. So perhaps I can find that paperwork and get more information.

Thank you again!
Jessica

History of the Lutynski Family according to Rose Lutynski Neneki.pdf
 Description:
Rose Lutynski was Antoni and Antonina's sixth child, born in 1913. Perhaps there are further clues in the body of this text that I have overlooked.

Download
 Filename:  History of the Lutynski Family according to Rose Lutynski Neneki.pdf
 Filesize:  571.55 KB
 Downloaded:  300 Time(s)

mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:51 pm      Post subject:

Hi Jwaldo,

Yes, if you look closely at the census records, you see that:

1910 - he declares as Alien (AL)
1920 - he declares first papers filed (PA)
1930 - he declares he is naturalized (NA)

Interpreted, that means he filed first papers likely in Wisconsin between 1910-1920, and was naturalized between 1920-1930.

Thanks for posting the family story. I will read and look for clues.

You may also want to look for a newspaper obituary in Milwaukee WI for his death. It may provide names of his brothers and sisters which may open other avenues for searching for his village of birth. You can also order a copy of his death certificate- it sometimes has birthplace and parents named.

I found obituary for Antonina on Family Search and it named all of her siblings. I will post it later.

Cynthia
Send e-mail
jwaldo11

Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:06 pm      Post subject:

I have the obituary for Antonina, published in the Milwaukee Journal in January 1946, which I will include as it does mention some of her siblings. I will continue to search for Antoni's obituary but at this time have not found one.

Milwaukee Journal January 1946 Antoinette Obit.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Milwaukee Journal January 1946 Antoinette Obit.pdf
 Filesize:  1.39 MB
 Downloaded:  450 Time(s)

mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:08 pm      Post subject:

Here is the link to The obituary for Antonina indexed by Family Search

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q57X-H4PR

Cynthia
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:34 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello Jwaldo, Marcel, and Dave,

Dave, can you help locate the parish? It might be worth checking for marriage records in that parish..

On another note, I checked Wizajny parish books for 1872-1880 births and did not find a birth record for Antoni Lutynski. I also checked marriages for 1898-1905 and did not find their marriage record. So, they were married in another parish. Also, It seems after they returned from England, they stayed in Antonina’s parish for the birth of Wladyslawa (1904). Sometime afterwards, they moved to Jasionowo and Anton immigrated to the US (Jan 1904-June 1905). Antonina followed in 1906 with Jan and Wladyslawa.

It is a jigsaw puzzle!
All the best,
Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,

If you expand slightly beyond powiat Suwalki to include the neighboring powiat there are six villages named Jasionowo in the region. (cf. Snips 1 & 2) The parishes for villages in the Skorowidz are listed in the last column. The one you asked about is problematic. The Skorowidz gives the parish as Rutka-Tartak but that parish was established in 1925. The Słownik geograficzny names the parish as Lobowo but I can’t find any place with that name anywhere near Suwalki. (cf. snip 3. It follows #4 in the entry.)

Sorry that I can’t provide more info.

Dave

snip1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.33 KB

snip1.png

snip2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.94 KB

snip2.png

snip3.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.39 KB

snip3.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: