PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Help Identify Record
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author

Replies: 100

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:29 pm      Post subject: Help Identify Record

I found this record while searching Arolsen archives for the Szachcinski surname. I have no idea what it is. Can anyone identify this and also help with the entries? My uncle Roman is the 3rd line down. Thank you!

89D23CBA-1302-4D39-9501-B1675C0C360C.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.03 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

89D23CBA-1302-4D39-9501-B1675C0C360C.jpeg

Kmichael8

Replies: 543

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:47 am      Post subject: Re: Help Identify Record

Richard Kuzniak wrote:
I found this record while searching Arolsen archives for the Szachcinski surname. I have no idea what it is. Can anyone identify this and also help with the entries? My uncle Roman is the 3rd line down. Thank you!

Hello Richard

This registration list informs that Roman Szachcinski, born on August 30, 1902 in Jehen, county or Kreis Wongrowitz, Poland, [the next column probably shows the residence] residing in Obersee, county Wongrosee [might be misspelled and mean Wongrowitz instead], was in Jeßnigk from January 9, 1940 – April 1945 and returned home.

Jeßnigk is today part of Schönewalde in Brandenburg. In Jeßnigk he was “b[ei] Otto Arndt”, probably a farmer, hence he might have worked as a farmhand.

Best regards,
Michael
Richard Kuzniak

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:56 am      Post subject:

Many many thanks Michael. This may have been forced labour? My mother (his sister) was in forced labour. I greatly appreciate your help.
Richard Kuzniak

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:27 am      Post subject:

I am having trouble finding my uncle's birth place Jehen? Wagrowiec 1902…
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:40 pm      Post subject:

Perhaps it is
Jeleń
In Wągrowiec county?

Cynthia
Send e-mail
Richard Kuzniak

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:37 pm      Post subject:

That fits! Thank you, Cynthia.
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:26 pm      Post subject:

Hello Richard,

I don't know if this will help your search or not. I did some looking around for the locations that Michael translated for you.

As I mentioned, there is a Jelen in Wagrowiec. It seems to be part of a village named Czeslawice in Gmina Golancz, Powiat Wagrowiec. Perhaps this was Roman's birth place (Jehen, Jelen)?

Also, Obersee is the German name for the Polish village of Wilczkowo, in Gmina Znin, Powiat Znin. This was Roman's residence.

Powiat Znin and Powiat Wagrowiec border each other. Jelen and Wilczkowo are about 50km apart.

Attached is a map showing the three locations for Roman: Jelen, Obersee (Wilczkowo), and his place of forced labor: Jessnigk

Also, below is a link for a "list of souls" in Gmina Golancz (village Czeslawice) for 1923-1936. Perhaps you will find other Szachcinski family members, perhaps even your mother in the lists.

https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/en/jednostka/-/jednostka/1897696

Finally, Family Search does have Roman Catholic parish records for Gmina Golancz, but the years you need are not yet digitized. However, they do have some civil records for the years in question that are available for viewing. Here is the link

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&placeId=69121&query=%2Bplace%3A%22Poland%2C%20Pozna%C5%84%2C%20W%C4%85growiec%2C%20Go%C5%82a%C5%84cz%22&subjectsOpen=337615-50,562824-50

I hope this provides some clues for you...

Best of luck,
Cynthia

Jelen, Wilczkowo, Jessnigk.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  345.3 KB

Jelen, Wilczkowo, Jessnigk.jpg

Send e-mail
Richard Kuzniak

Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:42 pm      Post subject:

Many many thanks Cynthia. I truly appreciate your help! Here is what I DO know…I visited my uncle Roman back in 1972 (he died the next year, my mother returned to Poland for a visit in 1973 and missed him). He was living in Rogozno at the time and retired from the railroad. I also know that my mother's family lived in Podjeziorze (map below) a couple of km from Gołancz in the 20s and 30s. Thus hopefully I will find a reference to that in the links you sent me. I have had no luck navigating Szukajwarchiwach myself so I am grateful for your find! I will go through the link tomorrow looking for Szachcinski. I guess to see the material in the second link I would have to go to a Family Research Centre?
I really wish I wasn't such a goof as a teenager. I could have learned so much from my mother before she passed. My dad, who was in both Auschwitz and Mauthausen, died when I just turned 7. I’m now 73 and a grandpa and I really want to know my family history. Sincere thank you.
Richard Kuzniak

Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:45 pm      Post subject:

Here is the map I forgot…
Podjeziorze is the red dot.

1B673F25-3C41-4FAA-A466-14EDA949032B.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.63 KB

1B673F25-3C41-4FAA-A466-14EDA949032B.jpeg

mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:58 am      Post subject:

If you have a Family Search account, just log in and then go to the link I provided. You can view the civil records and some of the Roman Catholic records from home - they have a camera icon. The ones with a lock and camera icon must be viewed from a family research center or participating library. The ones with a reel of film icon means they have not yet been digitized. In that case, all you can do is send them a request asking for those particular film numbers to be digitized and then wait. They no longer send out microfilms to the centers like they used to do. Otherwise, you would need to contact the archives in Poland or the parish church in Golancz directly and request a search for the years in question.

Maybe some other community members can offer other suggestions as well.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Richard Kuzniak

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:27 am      Post subject:

Thank you Cynthia. Yes I was able to see records.
Richard Kuzniak

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:23 pm      Post subject:

I have looked at the Family Search records and I think the Podjeziorze record (see the attached photos) will be a good one to find as my mother's (Szachcinska) family lived there in the 20s and 30s. My question: how does the reference on the record - 10 Podjeziorze- help me locate records from the list? What does the 10 refer to? Thank you.

record-image_-3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.79 MB

record-image_-3.jpg

record-image_-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  657.3 KB

record-image_-2.jpg

mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:24 pm      Post subject:

Hi Richard,

It is difficult to answer your question without seeing the book. Please post the link so we can look through the book to see how it is organized. Then we may be able to answer your question.

cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:36 pm      Post subject:

Hello again Richard,

I found some records for Wiktor Kuzniak in Ancestry.com that I have been trying to piece together with what you found in the Arolsen Files. I think I have it put together now.

Based on the translation for the Arolsen prisoner records Michael did for you, we know that Wiktor was in Auschwitz first, then transferred to Mauthausen. The records I found indicate he was transferred a third time to Ebensee which was a satellite labor camp to Mauthausen. He was liberated at Ebensee. Attached to this post are 2 images that map Mauthausen and its satellite camps in Austria. Here is a good Wiki article on Ebensee:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebensee_concentration_camp

I will make several more posts with the records I found for him at Ebensee including his entries for the:
Polish Prisoner list
Polish prisoner identification number list
Former prisoner ID card list

Best,
Cynthia

Mauthausen satellite camps pg2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  203.96 KB

Mauthausen satellite camps pg2.jpg

Mauthausen and satellite camp map1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  224.95 KB

Mauthausen and satellite camp map1.jpg

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:39 pm      Post subject:

Attached is the title page with headers for the Polish Prisoner list and the page with Wiktor's entry.

Wiktor Kuzniak Ebensee prisoner list.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.68 KB

Wiktor Kuzniak Ebensee prisoner list.jpg

Ebensee headers prisoner list.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.2 KB

Ebensee headers prisoner list.jpg

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Page 1 of 3

Jump to: