PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 209, 210, 211 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 90

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:37 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for clearing this up for me. I'll be spending more time at the library working on this family.
Send e-mail
khill1881

Replies: 90

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:00 pm      Post subject: Stara Kiszewa parish

I believe this is the death record, Feb. 9, 1824, for Marianna Dabrowski a widow? age 40, maiden name Tulicka. The two words after Tulicka are beyond me. Do they mean something like "died as the result of childbirth"?
The link is https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSZT-89WZ-T?i=656&cc=4111605&cat=162165&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3A6ZMN-MWRM
On the next page (Feb. 14th) is the death record for her daughter, Dorothea. The index says she was 8 years old, but I think the record says 8 days.
Your help clearing this up is greatly appreciated.

February 9, 1824 Marianna Dabrowski.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.08 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

February 9, 1824 Marianna Dabrowski.JPG

Send e-mail
Richard Kuzniak

Replies: 100

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:42 pm      Post subject: Birth Record 1742

Could someone please translate this birth record of my 4X great grandfather? Thank you.
It is the last entry on the bottom of the right hand side.

Valentinus s Adalbertus Ratai birth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.14 MB

Valentinus s Adalbertus Ratai birth.jpg

Richard Kuzniak

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:04 am      Post subject: Marriage Record 1730

I would appreciate a translation of my 6x great grandfather's marriage record (top entry, right hand side). Thank you!

7FB29F48-FDF9-4945-BC17-6EBDC0CC13B2.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  989.09 KB

7FB29F48-FDF9-4945-BC17-6EBDC0CC13B2.jpeg

JohnKP

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:05 am      Post subject: Latin birth record, Borek Stary 1882

Kindly requesting a translation of my great grandfather's birth record from Borek Stary. His name is Jozef (Josephus) and is the second record from the bottom on the right side of the page.

Borek Stary, 1882.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.23 MB

Borek Stary, 1882.jpg

galicia seeker

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:14 pm      Post subject: Translation from Latin to English marriage record

Hello, my ability to translate Latin is getting a bit better but I need some help with my gr grandfather's marriage record from 1868 in Galicia. I posted this a while ago but not sure if I posted the message in the right area, so if this is a duplicate, my apologies.

The bride's info seems to confirm that she lives in Biale house #44 but the groom's date only seems to confirm that he was born in Dubryniow?

I can't quite understand the priest's notes at the bottom....partly because it is sometimes really difficult to make out the words depending on the handwriting.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Gail

Onufrius marriage record 1868.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.89 KB

Onufrius marriage record 1868.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:11 pm      Post subject: Re: Stara Kiszewa parish

khill1881 wrote:
I believe this is the death record, Feb. 9, 1824, for Marianna Dabrowski a widow? age 40, maiden name Tulicka. The two words after Tulicka are beyond me. Do they mean something like "died as the result of childbirth"?
The link is https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSZT-89WZ-T?i=656&cc=4111605&cat=162165&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3A6ZMN-MWRM
On the next page (Feb. 14th) is the death record for her daughter, Dorothea. The index says she was 8 years old, but I think the record says 8 days.
Your help clearing this up is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Maryanna was indeed a widow and died from what today would be classified as postpartum complications. If you wish to continue to research her I would recommend that you locate the birth & baptism record of her daughter Dorota. If Dorota was born within 9 months of the death of Maryanna’s husband she is presumed to be his child. Since neither of the death records provide any information about him the clues regarding the time of the birth should point your research in the proper direction.

The translations follow.

Wishing you successful research,

Dave

Boże Pole: On the 9th day of February Maryanna Dąbrowska, a widow, 40 years of age, née (literally: from home)* Tulicka, died by reason of childbirth and she was buried on the 11th day of the same (month).

Boże Pole: On the 14th day of February Dorota Dąbrowska, the daughter of Maryanna Dąbrowska, 8 days of age, died and was buried on the 16th day (of the same month).

Note: *de domo/née: de domo literally means “from home”(i.e. from her birth home). This phrase and the Polish version, z domu (“from home”) have the identical literal meaning. The common English convention is née. Growing up in an ethnic neighborhood a married woman’s maiden name was almost always preceded by the phrase “from home”.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:19 pm      Post subject: Re: Birth Record 1742

Richard Kuzniak wrote:
Could someone please translate this birth record of my 4X great grandfather? Thank you.

Hi Richard,

At the time of this baptismal record (1742) Ossowo was within woj. Brzesko-kujawskie (cf. Attached map) of the state formally known as The Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania (Polish: Królestwo Polskie i Wielkie Księstwo Litewskie; Latin: Regnum Poloniae Magnusque Ducatus Lithuaniae). The state was commonly known as “The Commonwealth of the Two Nations” (Polish: Rzeczpostpolita Obojga Naradów; Latin: Res Publica Utriusque Nationis). Its social structure for the most part was feudal. The state had no system for the keeping of what we would call vital statistics, but used church registers in place of civil records. These registers used specific terminology which described the social and economic status of individuals within the society of the time. Attached is a list of the most common and important terms used in Sacramental Registers of the period. I would also enthusiastically recommend Piotr Zelny’s article on land inventories which Zenon posted in four parts in late May of this year. Researching the inventories helps very much to understand what life was like for ancestors during the days of The Commonwealth prior to the 19th Century.

Here follows the translation.

Dave

Right Margin: Ossowo; the 4th day of February
I, Jakub Kuszewski, the benefice holder,* baptized an infant by the name of Walenty (born) of the legitimate marital union of the industrious** parents, Wojciech and Maryanna Rataiow***, peasants/serfs**** from the village of Ossowo, whose sponsors were the renowned***** Piotr Sztubski, a townsman pf Szamotuły, and the industrious Anna, the daughter of Wojciech, the semi-self-sustaining farmer******, a peasant/serf**** from the village of Ossowo.

Notes: * mensionarius/benefice holder: a benefice was the living/income attached to a church or parish.
**laboriosus/industrious: adjective used to denote an individual as a peasant.
***Ratai (Rataj): The name means “a peasant farmer” During the mid-18th Century it was more of a description than a surname. Later the name may have been kept as a surname or may have been exchanged for another.
****subditus/peasant/serf: someone bound by feudal obligations to the landowner of the village.
*****famatus/renowned: adjective used to describe a middle class craftsman.
******semicmeto/semi-self-sustaining farmer (Polish: półkmiec): a farmer who held enough farmland to be semi-self-sufficient. He was second from the top of the hierarchy of peasantry.

Commonwealth in 1764.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.89 MB

Commonwealth in 1764.png

Vocabulary Distinguishing Non-nobles 2018.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Vocabulary Distinguishing Non-nobles 2018.pdf
 Filesize:  91.78 KB
 Downloaded:  841 Time(s)

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:21 pm      Post subject: Re: Marriage Record 1730

Richard Kuzniak wrote:
I would appreciate a translation of my 6x great grandfather's marriage record (top entry, right hand side). Thank you!

Richard,

Here follows the translation of the marriage record.

Dave

Right Margin: Szamotuły; 30 (January 1730)
Body of Entry: After the 3 banns had been promulgated on festive days* I, Albert Lisecki, blessed the marriage contracted between the renowned** Antoni Warchołowicz and Jadwiga (illegible name), town residents of Szamotuły. The witnesses were the renowned** Jan Klanecki, Jakub Fulnowski(?), Stanisław Leznoydzinski, (&) Daniel Ekiert, townsmen of Szamotuły.

Notes: *diebus festivis/on festive days: days of obligation (to assist at Mass).
**famatus/renowned: adjective used to describe a middle class craftsman.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:26 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation from Latin to English marriage record

galicia seeker wrote:
Hello, my ability to translate Latin is getting a bit better but I need some help with my gr grandfather's marriage record from 1868 in Galicia. I posted this a while ago but not sure if I posted the message in the right area, so if this is a duplicate, my apologies.

The bride's info seems to confirm that she lives in Biale house #44 but the groom's date only seems to confirm that he was born in Dubryniow?

I can't quite understand the priest's notes at the bottom....partly because it is sometimes really difficult to make out the words depending on the handwriting.

Gail

Hi Gail,

This is the correct place to post requests for translations of Latin records. I always check for requests in this thread but may or may not see a request posted in a new thread.

Probably a big part of your difficulty with the short paragraph at the end of the entry is that it is legal “housekeeping” (full of legal vocabulary) which adds almost no information useful for genealogical research. In my opinion, it is similar to the license agreements attached to computer apps and programs, which few people actually read before clicking on “I agree”.

The crop of the record image cut off the top of the entry. If you could re-crop the image to include the entire entry I will translate it within the next day or so, depending on how much time my other hobby—gardening—allows. Right now that hobby in full fruit and vegetable harvesting and preserving mode.

Until later,

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:28 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin birth record, Borek Stary 1882

JohnKP wrote:
Kindly requesting a translation of my great grandfather's birth record from Borek Stary. His name is Jozef (Josephus) and is the second record from the bottom on the right side of the page.

Hi JohnKP,

The record you posted will be translated in the next day or so.

Dave
Richard Kuzniak

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:42 pm      Post subject: Help With Latin Record

Could I please get this death record translated (circled on the attached photo)? Thank you!

Wojciech Stalinski death.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  840 KB

Wojciech Stalinski death.jpg

Richard Kuzniak

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:44 pm      Post subject: Re: Marriage Record 1730

Richard,

Here follows the translation of the marriage record.

Dave

Thank you Dave!
Richard Kuzniak

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:50 pm      Post subject: Re: Birth Record 1742

dnowicki wrote:
Richard Kuzniak wrote:

Hi Richard,

At the time of this baptismal record (1742) Ossowo was within woj. Brzesko-kujawskie (cf. Attached map) of the state formally known as The Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania (Polish: Królestwo Polskie i Wielkie Księstwo Litewskie; Latin: Regnum Poloniae Magnusque Ducatus Lithuaniae). The state was commonly known as “The Commonwealth of the Two Nations” (Polish: Rzeczpostpolita Obojga Naradów; Latin: Res Publica Utriusque Nationis). Its social structure for the most part was feudal. The state had no system for the keeping of what we would call vital statistics, but used church registers in place of civil records. These registers used specific terminology which described the social and economic status of individuals within the society of the time. Attached is a list of the most common and important terms used in Sacramental Registers of the period. I would also enthusiastically recommend Piotr Zelny’s article on land inventories which Zenon posted in four parts in late May of this year. Researching the inventories helps very much to understand what life was like for ancestors during the days of The Commonwealth prior to the 19th Century.

Here follows the translation.

Dave

Right Margin: Ossowo; the 4th day of February
I, Jakub Kuszewski, the benefice holder,* baptized an infant by the name of Walenty (born) of the legitimate marital union of the industrious** parents, Wojciech and Maryanna Rataiow***, peasants/serfs**** from the village of Ossowo, whose sponsors were the renowned***** Piotr Sztubski, a townsman pf Szamotuły, and the industrious Anna, the daughter of Wojciech, the semi-self-sustaining farmer******, a peasant/serf**** from the village of Ossowo.

Notes: * mensionarius/benefice holder: a benefice was the living/income attached to a church or parish.
**laboriosus/industrious: adjective used to denote an individual as a peasant.
***Ratai (Rataj): The name means “a peasant farmer” During the mid-18th Century it was more of a description than a surname. Later the name may have been kept as a surname or may have been exchanged for another.
****subditus/peasant/serf: someone bound by feudal obligations to the landowner of the village.
*****famatus/renowned: adjective used to describe a middle class craftsman.
******semicmeto/semi-self-sustaining farmer (Polish: półkmiec): a farmer who held enough farmland to be semi-self-sufficient. He was second from the top of the hierarchy of peasantry.

Fantastic information! Thank you so much!
galicia seeker

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:55 am      Post subject: Re: Translation from Latin to English marriage record

dnowicki wrote:
galicia seeker wrote:

Gail

Hi Gail,

This is the correct place to post requests for translations of Latin records. I always check for requests in this thread but may or may not see a request posted in a new thread.

Probably a big part of your difficulty with the short paragraph at the end of the entry is that it is legal “housekeeping” (full of legal vocabulary) which adds almost no information useful for genealogical research. In my opinion, it is similar to the license agreements attached to computer apps and programs, which few people actually read before clicking on “I agree”.

The crop of the record image cut off the top of the entry. If you could re-crop the image to include the entire entry I will translate it within the next day or so, depending on how much time my other hobby—gardening—allows. Right now that hobby in full fruit and vegetable harvesting and preserving mode.

Until later,

Dave

Thanks for the speedy reply Dave and I hope that your harvest was bountiful!

I have attached another screen shot of the marriage record for Onufrius Fedun and would appreciate knowing what the priest's comments were at the bottom. The wording seems unique and I have not seen it on other marriage records in this era.

I am always looking for clues. My research into my family history in Biale Przemyslany has shown that we were not related to any of the Feduns in that village until my gr grandfather Onufrius got married in 1868. The Feduns that lived in the village seemed to suddenly appear en masse as a family in 1836 with no previous ties to anyone else in this village but appeared to have a close relationship with a nobleman who also appears in records at the same time.

Then Onufrius shows up to be married from a village a fair distance away which was unusual in itself. The history of marriages in this village indicates that folks either married someone in the village or sometimes someone from a village a few km away but never from Dobryniow. On Onufrius' baptism record in Dubryniow, his father is noted as Timotheus whilst on his marriage record it is Thomas Fedun - one of the unrelated Feduns in the village.

This is a mystery that I will never be able to solve. Family lore has it that our branch took a few twists and turns but anyone with more information is long gone!

Thank you so much for your valued insights I have learned so much!

Gail

Onufrius 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  243.96 KB

Onufrius 2.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 209, 210, 211 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 210 of 274

Jump to: