PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:31 am      Post subject: Danzig Birth

I have a relative who was born in Danzig Free State in 1931. His name was Ernst Bernhard Nitz. His Parents were Gerhard Bernhard Nitz and Martha Marizay (uncertain of the correct spelling). He emigrated to Australia from Germany in 1952 as a displaced person. I am hoping someone will be able to help me trace Ernst or his parents. Are there online searchable records, or would these have been destroyed during the war? Hi immigration record says he was German, but he was born in Danzig. I would appreciate any assistance in this. Thank you for reading my post.
Robyn
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:28 pm      Post subject:

Hi Robyn,

Welcome to the forum. What documents do you already have for Ernst Nitz?
Do you know where he settled in Australia? Did he marry? Name of his spouse? What was his faith tradition? Catholic? Jewish? Protestant?

The best place to start is by gathering all of his documents in Australia - marriage, census records, residential directories, possible naturalization records and/ or passport records, and death record if applicable. Per his passenger list in 1952 he was single, occupation as porter, birth date 17 Aug 1931, destination Melbourne. Do you have his passenger list?

Danzig is the German name for the Polish city of Gdansk. Here is some history on the evolution of The Free City of Danzig that may provide a context for the life of Ernst and why he is listed as German.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_City_of_Danzig

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:38 pm      Post subject:

Hi Robyn,

I found his naturalization records. He changed his name from Nitz to Dorn. Here is a link to the documents
- there are 20 pages

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=4790071

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:41 pm      Post subject:

More information

He was a photographer in a hotel in Australia

https://www.destinationaustralia.gov.au/photographs/photograph-7456856

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:54 pm      Post subject:

Also, I saw a private tree on Ancestry with his name. It gives a death date of 10 Nov 2010.

Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:40 pm      Post subject:

Send e-mail
Carob55

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:22 pm      Post subject:

Hi Cynthia,
Thank you so much for the welcome, and all the information you looked up for me. The private tree on Ancestry is probably the one I have created. I have obtained all the immigrations records on Ernst Nitz/Dorn, and am trying to confirm a link between him and probable relatives in Poland. Along the way I hope to find a close DNA match so that I know I'm on the right track. I have located a marriage record for Ernst's father, on Ancestry, which someone kindly translated for me yesterday. This is proving to be a great help.
I've done DNA tests through Ancestry and FamilyTreeDNA, which I uploaded to Gedmatch and MyHeritage, and have discovered a link to Poland at MyHeritage, but haven't yet been able to prove a direct line to my family. Ernst had 3 children and I am planning on contacting at least one of them. COVID restrictions in Australia have put a hold on that, because I need to physically visit the government department to look up their addresses on the electoral roll. These offices are currently closed. Patience is something I'm having to learn.
Meanwhile tracking backwards is the best I can do. As I go I'm learning about the history of the people I originated from. The other half of my heritage is Scots, and fortunately I've been able to obtain a lot of information on that side.
Cheers
Robyn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: