PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 73

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:30 am      Post subject: research in Poland

Trying to make sense of a note in Genetka Romany parish, deaths 1919, Wawrzyniec Samelko. It reads: wdowiec po Jozefie z domu Bzura.
Does it refer to, he was a widower who died when living at the house of Jozef Bruza? I don't have the scan just relying on the note which was made at time of indexing(?).
Many thanks in advance for opinions.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:35 am      Post subject: Re: research in Poland

adamsam wrote:
Trying to make sense of a note in Genetka Romany parish, deaths 1919, Wawrzyniec Samelko. It reads: wdowiec po Jozefie z domu Bzura.
Does it refer to, he was a widower who died when living at the house of Jozef Bruza? I don't have the scan just relying on the note which was made at time of indexing(?).

Hi,
It means he was a widower, whose wife's name was Jozefa, and her maiden name was Bzura.
The phrase "z domu [surname]" is what we call a maiden name. You can think of it as being, literally, "of the house of [surname]" if that helps you.
Sophia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:59 am      Post subject: Re: research in Poland

Sophia wrote:
adamsam wrote:

Hi,
It means he was a widower, whose wife's name was Jozefa, and her maiden name was Bzura.
The phrase "z domu [surname]" is what we call a maiden name. You can think of it as being, literally, "of the house of [surname]" if that helps you.
Sophia

Hi again Adamsam,
I was just reading through the most recent posts on the Latin translation thread, and I can see that Dave, in explaining the Latin phrase "de domo", has provided a better translation of "z domu" as being "from home." It makes my translation, "of the house of" sound formal and rather British, by comparison (example: "Princess Elizabeth of the House of Windsor was born in 1926.").
Either way, you get the idea - - it is used in the indexer's note to that death record on Geneteka as a reference back to the "home" from which Jozefa came, as a way of indicating her surname at birth, and it definitely is not referring to a house in the sense of a building.
Good luck in your research,
Sophia
Chris Kolodziejski

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:15 am      Post subject: Polish Russian data

how can i find the history of russian occupation in lodz poland in a time period of say 1850 to 1920 and impact of ww1 ending in 1918
Thank you Chris

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:39 pm      Post subject: Re: Polish Russian data

Chris Kolodziejski wrote:
how can i find the history of russian occupation in lodz poland in a time period of say 1850 to 1920 and impact of ww1 ending in 1918
Thank you Chris

Hi Chris,

I would enthusiastically recommend God’s Playground: A History of Poland by Norman Davies. Obviously it does not concentrate exclusively on Łodź but contains numerous references to the town and its growth from a village with a population of 191 in 1795 to an important center of the textile industry with a population of 115,000 in 1900. If nothing else Davies works can provide you with a springboard for further research. Volume 1 deals with Polish history from Poland’s origins to 1795. Volume 2 begins with 1795 and covers the period in which you are interested. Here is a link to info about professor Davies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Davies and a link to his history of Poland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God%27s_Playground

Wishing you successful research,

Dave
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:27 am      Post subject:

Hi Chris,
Dave's recommendation is a very good one for understanding the history of Poland. If you would like to supplement that with some information that is specific to Lodz, I suggest reading newspaper articles. There are online sites that require a subscription, but you can do quite well at no cost by going to:
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/
and using Lodz as your search term. As you can see, you are able to limit the search years. Additionally, you can sort the search results by date. There are many articles in the WWI era that include some mention of Lodz. I would also suggest you read about Lodz in the 1905 time period (Russian Revolution of 1905). When you find an article that particularly interests you, you can download a pdf file of it.
Best of luck with your search,
Sophia
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:07 pm      Post subject:

Sophia,

Thank you so much for that newspaper link! I also have relatives from Lodz. I have enjoyed reading some of the articles and am learning a lot about life in Lodz around 1880 - 1940. It is really interesting!! What a great resource.

Thanks again,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:17 am      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Sophia,

Thank you so much for that newspaper link! I also have relatives from Lodz. I have enjoyed reading some of the articles and am learning a lot about life in Lodz around 1880 - 1940. It is really interesting!! What a great resource.

Thanks again,
Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,
I'm so happy to know that you found it useful! It draws on newspapers from many sources, and it even includes the Polish-language paper Dziennik Chicagoski.
Enjoy searching for ancestors, as well as the events that shaped their lives.
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: