PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:18 am      Post subject:

Erin Dziuba wrote:
Also, I believe this is the ship for Jan Dziuba but I do not see in when I search on Ellis Island records site and on when I pulled up a manifest on a different site from Family search I couldn't find his name on it. Any suggestions on why this record doesn't come up anywhere but Family Search?

Hi Erin,
I think I know what the issue is. I pulled up the image of the manifest on Family Search, and there he is on line 9, just as the passenger info says he should be. I know we discussed this back in April, when Diane ("Looking for clues") found this manifest for you, but I had to look at it again this morning to refresh my memory. Note that it is a two page manifest, so you need to page forward to the next image to see all the information. Also remember that he is listed on the manifest as "Johann" so you will not find him as "Jan" on the Ellis Island site.
As I'm sure you recall from that earlier discussion, the name John, is Jan in Polish and Johann in German.
Coming at this from a different direction, I used the Morse search engine to look for this manifest. It appears that whoever indexed your Jan Dziuba has interpreted the writing to be "Johann Driuba" (mis-spelling of Dziuba). So you should be able to go back to where you were searching and using the spelling "Driuba" and you should see him there.
Best of luck in your research,
Sophia
Erin Dziuba

Replies: 20

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:37 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
Erin Dziuba wrote:
Also, I believe this is the ship for Jan Dziuba but I do not see in when I search on Ellis Island records site and on when I pulled up a manifest on a different site from Family search I couldn't find his name on it. Any suggestions on why this record doesn't come up anywhere but Family Search?

Hi Erin,
I think I know what the issue is. I pulled up the image of the manifest on Family Search, and there he is on line 9, just as the passenger info says he should be. I know we discussed this back in April, when Diane ("Looking for clues") found this manifest for you, but I had to look at it again this morning to refresh my memory. Note that it is a two page manifest, so you need to page forward to the next image to see all the information. Also remember that he is listed on the manifest as "Johann" so you will not find him as "Jan" on the Ellis Island site.
As I'm sure you recall from that earlier discussion, the name John, is Jan in Polish and Johann in German.
Coming at this from a different direction, I used the Morse search engine to look for this manifest. It appears that whoever indexed your Jan Dziuba has interpreted the writing to be "Johann Driuba" (mis-spelling of Dziuba). So you should be able to go back to where you were searching and using the spelling "Driuba" and you should see him there.
Best of luck in your research,
Sophia

Appsolultly Correct found in under Driuba. Thank You. Been rechecking all my data and for bigger things like arrival usually like to cross reference on multiple sites.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 11.33.00 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.19 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 11.33.00 PM.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Page 4 of 4

Jump to: