PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:42 pm      Post subject: Looking for the passenger list for this record

Hi I can't see to find this ancestor on a ship's passenger list. Maybe someone can help? I also know it would be difficullt without a ship name. Relatives say it MIGHT be the Kaiser Wilhelm. Thanks in advance!

Scan_2021_09_28_09_20_22_244.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Scan_2021_09_28_09_20_22_244.pdf
 Filesize:  390.77 KB
 Downloaded:  185 Time(s)

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:08 am      Post subject: Re: Looking for the passenger list for this record

tim_timofey wrote:
Hi I can't see to find this ancestor on a ship's passenger list. Maybe someone can help? I also know it would be difficullt without a ship name. Relatives say it MIGHT be the Kaiser Wilhelm. Thanks in advance!

Hi,
You can certainly look at ship manifests for a particular range of dates, without knowing the name of the ship, but it is a patience game. The most direct way of doing that is here:
https://stevemorse.org/ellis2/mmminus.html?back=https%3A%2F%2Fstevemorse.org%2Fcgi-bin%2Fboat.php%3Fseries%3D%26rollStart%3D%26rollEnd%3D%26volumeStart%3D%26volumeEnd%3D%26monthStart%3D2%26dayStart%3D1%26yearStart%3D1887%26monthEnd%3D2%26dayEnd%3D31%26yearEnd%3D1887%26boatkind%3Dstarts%26boat%3D%26offset%3D1%26portkind%3Dstarts%26port%3D%26pageSize%3D50%26database%3Dall%26local%3Dyes%26auth%3D&series=0&roll=503&frame=5&display=true
Wow, that's a long link! Anyway, here is what you have - - a direct link to the microfilm Series M237, Roll 503 which covers the vessels arriving at the Port of New York in the time period January 3 to February 27, 1887.
There are very simple controls at the bottom of the screen that allow you to page forward and backward through the images. You may want to leap forward quite a bit, since January 3 is too early for the ship you want, so just go to the box labelled "frame" and put in some random number like 300, and click "display" and you'll see you've gotten to January 17. You can also adjust the magnification. Don't bother using the "month/day/year" boxes, because that will not take you to the specific image for the date you want, it will only take you to the microfilm that INCLUDES the date that you want.
You will see that these ships came from many ports - - there are big ships from Hamburg and Liverpool, and little ships from Havana and so on. I would recommend skipping over any ships that are not from Bremen, at least as a first attempt. When you find a ship from Bremen, you can read every passenger's name, or, I would suggest you scan down the column that gives their country of origin and read only the names of passengers from Austria.
Some manifests have clear handwriting and are well photographed. Others are ..... more difficult. The Kaiser Wilhelm does not appear to be among the ships that arrived in NY in this time period.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
tim_timofey

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:24 pm      Post subject:

Sophia, It never fails to amaze me where you folk find some of these links thanks so much!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: