PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:40 pm      Post subject: invitation to participate in an Acoustic Sensitivity Survey

Hi All,

I’d like to invite you to participate in a survey concerning speech recognition – Acoustic Sensitivity Survey. I’m looking for native speakers of American English who have ancestry in Central, Northern or Eastern Europe.

The survey will take 15-25 minutes to complete.

To participate, please click on the following link:

https://survey.phonic.ai/617af458456b13f0fe900921

The survey is a part of a preliminary research concerning the variability in speech recognition. The collected data will be used to assess variability of sensitivity to certain acoustic cues involved in speech perception.

Your participation in this survey is completely voluntary and all of your responses will be anonymous. No personally identifiable information will be collected.

If you have any questions about this survey, or difficulty in accessing the site or completing the survey, please contact J. P. Golen at [email protected].

The survey is being conducted using Phonic.ai, a cloud-based software that stores data on secure servers in the United States.

I’ll be very grateful for your participation.

All the best,
J. P. Golen
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:29 am      Post subject:

Hi J.P. Golen,

Could you please explain in layman's terms what does "assessing variability of sensitivity to certain acoustic cues involved in speech perception" mean?

I want to be sure that it is within area of interest of our forum members and that it alignes with the purpose of the Forum

Regards,
Zenon
Send e-mail
J. P. Golen

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:21 pm      Post subject:

Hi Zenon,

Many thanks for your feedback.

Acoustic cues are characteristics (such as duration of the sound, its the timbre or pitch, etc.) of the sounds that help us differentiate between similarly sounding sounds. Variability in sensitivity to acoustic cues means that even speakers of the same language may vary in sensitivity to certain cues (in a situation of possible ambiguity one speaker may rely more on duration and other may rely more on the timbre). I’d like to check what demographic factors influence this variability. By assessing this variability I hope to be able to test a hypothesis that may explain some tendencies in the evolution of the sound systems of Slavic languages (including the Polish language).

This survey is not directly related to research concerning individual genealogy. However, it may contribute to the understanding of the early history of the Polish people and other Slavic nations. I’ll be happy to share the results of a study after its completion with the users of this forum.

Regards,

Jan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: