PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 58

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:20 am      Post subject: Coats of Arms Research

In my research I've found two lines of ancestors that appear to have belonged to the noble class.
The first is listed as 'Thomas de Cybulski' (for Thomas Wszleczynski) and the second referred to as 'Nobilis de Rogal' (for Alexander Lewicki).
I
'm very interested in researching whether these individuals are entitled to a coat of arms, but most of what I find on the internet appears to be advertisements for me to purchase a coat of arms and explanation of the surname. These seem generic and, frankly of questionable veracity.

Can someone point me to a reputable resource for researching and linking family coats of arms to individuals?

Thanks!
Jeff
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:06 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

You can try requesting a search from the Polish Nobility Association Foundation. I used them to search the heraldry and history for one of my family lines. Here is the page for membership. Click on the application link and you will get a pdf form to fill out for a heraldic search.

http://pnaf.us/membership.html

All the best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
zolkie

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:36 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello,

You can try requesting a search from the Polish Nobility Association Foundation. I used them to search the heraldry and history for one of my family lines. Here is the page for membership. Click on the application link and you will get a pdf form to fill out for a heraldic search.

http://pnaf.us/membership.html

All the best,
Cynthia

Thank you! I will give this a try.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:04 pm      Post subject: Re: Coats of Arms Research

zolkie wrote:
In my research I've found two lines of ancestors that appear to have belonged to the noble class.
The first is listed as 'Thomas de Cybulski' (for Thomas Wszleczynski) and the second referred to as 'Nobilis de Rogal' (for Alexander Lewicki).
I
'm very interested in researching whether these individuals are entitled to a coat of arms, but most of what I find on the internet appears to be advertisements for me to purchase a coat of arms and explanation of the surname. These seem generic and, frankly of questionable veracity.

Can someone point me to a reputable resource for researching and linking family coats of arms to individuals?

Thanks!
Jeff

Jeff,

Just as there were various social/economic classes/grades of peasants there were also various classes/grades of nobles (szlachta). Some nobles were no better off economically than well to do peasants. Kind of the entry level noble was classed as “nobilis”, which meant that the individual either owned a parcel of land or held it by a lease. You may find the attached classes of peasants, nobles, and clergy helpful in your research.

BTW the coats of arms for sale on the internet are just a way to fleece the public.

Wishing you good luck,

Dave

Vocabulary Distinguishing Classes of Peasants, Nobles & Clergy 2021 Dec. 1.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Vocabulary Distinguishing Classes of Peasants, Nobles & Clergy 2021 Dec. 1.pdf
 Filesize:  94.15 KB
 Downloaded:  173 Time(s)

zolkie

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:25 pm      Post subject:

Thank you Dave. This list is very helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: