PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 84

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:42 pm      Post subject: Looking for Slomian or Grynia

I am looking for sources who can give provide information on the dates of death (and locations) for my great great grandparents, Valentin and Antonina (nee Grynia) Slomian. Slomians are common in the Winna Gora area. Valentin was born in 1833 in Winna Gora. Antonina was born in 1839 (I do not know where). They were married in 1858 in the Nietrzanowo parish. They lived in a couple of different locations, but their last three children were born in Chwalkowo (in 1875, 1877, and 1880). Two children died very young, but the last child, Josepha, married Josef Jozwiak in 1897 in the Maczniki parish. Thanks you. wuness
Fantom
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 172

Post Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:04 am      Post subject: Re: Looking for Slomian or Grynia

wuness wrote:
I am looking for sources who can give provide information on the dates of death (and locations) for my great great grandparents, Valentin and Antonina (nee Grynia) Slomian. Slomians are common in the Winna Gora area. Valentin was born in 1833 in Winna Gora. Antonina was born in 1839 (I do not know where). They were married in 1858 in the Nietrzanowo parish. They lived in a couple of different locations, but their last three children were born in Chwalkowo (in 1875, 1877, and 1880). Two children died very young, but the last child, Josepha, married Josef Jozwiak in 1897 in the Maczniki parish. Thanks you. wuness

Apparently the marriage index entry no. 19 dated 1858 is available here:

https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/skan/-/skan/b9a0048c745c18959fe7bcf4660f617e75d76554a2037f297d06d54747a01715

It contains a lot of details pertaining to Valentin and Antonina.

Also, you may try to search the below, which is the parochial book for Winnagora.
There seem to be some entries for the year 1833, relating to births which were
registered in Winnagora. Perhaps you will manage to find the entry pertaining to Valentin.

https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/zespol/-/zespol/19071?_Zespol_javax.portlet.action=zmienWidok&_Zespol_nameofjsp=jednostki&_Zespol_delta=20&_Zespol_resetCur=false&_Zespol_cur=9
wuness

Post Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:07 pm      Post subject:

Fantom: Thank you for the information. I will try to get translations.

I have a related question that you, as a citizen of Poland, might be able to answer. Valentin and Antonina Slomian's youngest daughter, Josepha, was married to Joseph Jozwiak in 1897 in the Church of St. Lawrence. On the marriage document, Valentin and Antonina are listed as living in nearby Ulejno. I also have Valentin as a witness on the death notice for the brother of Antonina, Jacob, in 1900. It also lists Valentin as living in Ulejno. At that time, Valentin would have been 67 years old. If I were to assume Valentin and Antonina lived in Ulejno until their death, where would I likely find a death notice for him (or her)? Would it be with authorities in Ulejno or in a larger administrative site nearby? Or would it be in the town where he was born, Winna Gora? To find church records relating to his death, would St. Lawrence's Church be the place to go? Thank you for your help. wuness
Fantom
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:21 am      Post subject:

wuness wrote:

I have a related question that you, as a citizen of Poland, might be able to answer. Valentin and Antonina Slomian's youngest daughter, Josepha, was married to Joseph Jozwiak in 1897 in the Church of St. Lawrence. On the marriage document, Valentin and Antonina are listed as living in nearby Ulejno. I also have Valentin as a witness on the death notice for the brother of Antonina, Jacob, in 1900. It also lists Valentin as living in Ulejno. At that time, Valentin would have been 67 years old. If I were to assume Valentin and Antonina lived in Ulejno until their death, where would I likely find a death notice for him (or her)? Would it be with authorities in Ulejno or in a larger administrative site nearby? Or would it be in the town where he was born, Winna Gora? To find church records relating to his death, would St. Lawrence's Church be the place to go? Thank you for your help. wuness

If Valentin's place of residence was Ulejno and you are pretty sure that this is where he actually
died, then the relevant "Standesamt" (register office) would be Michalowo. Some "Sterbe-Registers"
for Michalowo from 1900 onwards are available online. You can access them by clicking the link below:

https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/zespol/-/zespol/16999?_Zespol_javax.portlet.action=zmienWidok&_Zespol_nameofjsp=jednostki&_Zespol_delta=20&_Zespol_resetCur=false&_Zespol_cur=11

Actually more scans are available online for the register office in Michalowo, including birth certificates and
marriage certificates. This is where you can check what has been made available so far:

https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/zespol?p_p_id=Zespol&p_p_lifecycle=1&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&_Zespol_javax.portlet.action=zmienWidok&_Zespol_nameofjsp=serie&_Zespol_id_zespolu=16999
wuness

Post Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:03 pm      Post subject:

Fantom: I looked at all the available scans of the death notices and found nothing. They must be "buried" somewhere in the numerous unavailable scans. They are proving to be a very elusive couple. Thanks. wuness
Fantom
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:31 am      Post subject:

wuness wrote:
Fantom: I looked at all the available scans of the death notices and found nothing. They must be "buried" somewhere in the numerous unavailable scans. They are proving to be a very elusive couple. Thanks. wuness

This is what is available:

53/1893/0/4/159 Sterbe-Haupt-Register 1900-1901, no. of scans: 117
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/jednostka/-/jednostka/1403480

53/1893/0/4/171 Sterbe-Haupt-Register 1902 - 1903, no. of scans: 119
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/jednostka/-/jednostka/1403484

53/1893/0/4/174 Sterbe-Haupt-Register 1904 - 1905, no. of scans: 106
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/jednostka/-/jednostka/1403485

53/1893/0/4/186 Sterbe-Haupt-Register 1906 - 1907, no. of scans: 120
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/jednostka/-/jednostka/1403489

53/1893/0/4/203 Sterbe-Haupt-Register 1908 - 1909, no. of scans: 110
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/jednostka/-/jednostka/2200702

53/1893/0/4/217 Sterbe-Neben-Register 1910, no. of scans: 51
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/jednostka/-/jednostka/2277678

Starting from 1900, there seem to be 623 scans (death certificates) available in total for Michalowo.
Please make sure you have read all of them.

Also, there are more death registers for Michalowo. They cover the years 1911-1920.
They have not been scanned yet.
Unless you manage to find the certificate(s) in the registers which have already
been scanned, you may try to contact the archives in Poznan.
Perhaps they will undertake to check the rest for you.
wuness

Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:50 pm      Post subject:

Fantom: I looked at all 623 scans. I found the scan where he was a witness on his brother-in-law's death notice in 1900, but that's the only mention of him in the scans. (I also found the death notice of Albertus Olsztynski, a great great grandfather, from 1906, but I already had that information from BaSIA.) My guess is that they're in the 1911-1920 registers somewhere. In 1920, he would have been 83.

I'll consider contacting Poznan, although that sounds like a long shot. The fact that I don't know Polish won't help. Thanks again.

wuness
wuness

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:55 pm      Post subject:

Fantom: You posted the response attached below to a question of mine on Dec 17. It contained links to collections of scans from the Ulejno area where my great great grandparents presumably passed away. (Many other relatives are also from this area.) I revisited these links recently (more than 4 months after your post) and found that no scans had been added. A large number of scans of death notices are missing for the years 1900-1920 on the site for which you sent the link. Is this an inactive site with no scans being added, or is there a more current extension of this site available with additional scans having been added, particularly the later years?

Also, would you know if there is an "equivalent" site available that would have scans for the area around Garby, Gmina Krzykosy, Środa Wielkopolska County, Greater Poland Voivodeship?

Thank you. wuness

wuness wrote:

[i]If Valentin's place of residence was Ulejno and you are pretty sure that this is where he actually
died, then the relevant "Standesamt" (register office) would be Michalowo. Some "Sterbe-Registers"
for Michalowo from 1900 onwards are available online. You can access them by clicking the link below:

https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/zespol/-/zespol/16999?_Zespol_javax.portlet.action=zmienWidok&_Zespol_nameofjsp=jednostki&_Zespol_delta=20&_Zespol_resetCur=false&_Zespol_cur=11
[/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: