PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
German records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 93, 94, 95  Next
Author

Replies: 543

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:01 am      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello Michael,

Here are some additional pages of some sort of tax records for my Radzyminski family. These pages are for their estate in Pentzken, Neidenburg. No need for word by word translation, just give me general idea.

First, if you can look at the title pages and give me some idea as to what we are looking at, that would be helpful.

Second, please look at column headers on the entry page and give me some idea what we are looking at with particular interest in the line item for Pentzken - what looks like Mart: Radzyminski in one column followed by a Thom: Radzyminski in another column in same line. Wondering why two columns have 2 different Radzyminski names? Did ownership pass from Martin to Thomas? What is this line item recording? Is there any significant information on this line that may provide some clues abut the family, i.e., ownership, size of estate, etc.

Thank you!!
Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,

This list is about real estates from the Kreis or county Neidenburg whose ownership changed in 1786.

The entry page (only the left side is relevant, the right side continues with other entries) has six columns:

N[ume]ro des Catastri: 17
Namen der Güter, Ämter und vorigen Eigentümer: Pentzken, Mart[in] v[on] Radziminsky
Huben Zahl (Huben, Morgen, Ruten): 20
Vor- und Zunamen auch Charakter des Acquisenten: Thom[as] v[on] Radziminsky
Wegen der Veränderung ist der Consens erfolget: ja [see first entry on this page]
Sub Dato: d[en] 22ten May 1786

On May 22, 1786 Martin von Radziminsky and Thomas von Radziminsky agreed upon to pass the real estate Pentzken (no. 17 of the land register) with 20 Huben or around 153 Hektar from Martin to Thomas.

Best
Michael
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:07 am      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello again, Michael,

Here is yet another tax entry of some sort for another estate of the Radzyminski family - Sagsau.

First, some idea of the title pages, especially the first title page. The second one simply reads "Adel" which I believe means "noble".

Second, some general idea of the column headers on the entry page with special attention to the entry for Sagsau. There are two Radzyminski names under Sagsau - Thomas Radzyminski and Casimir Radzyminski. Any clues that may help me to understand the family better is appreciated, i.e., estate or land size, owner, etc.

What is interesting, is that I have the estates of Pentzken (a previous request I posted for translation) and Sagsau cross-referenced with another source. It is a very old book entitled "Dead Prussian Nobles". This book has a paragraph on the Radzyminski family noting that the Neidenburg line of the family was centered in two estates: Sagsau and Pentzken. It also mentions that 2 brothers were living at the time of the book was written- both living at Pentzken - a Thomas and Gregor Radzyminski. My previous tax post for Pentzken shows a Thomas Radzyminski as of 1786. Now I see a Thomas here in Sagsau in 1717. More puzzle pieces!!

Thank you very much!!
Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,

This list is a land register that was introduced in December 1717. In a nutshell:

Sagsau had a total of 40 Huben. In lines 50 and 51 Thomas Radziminsky and Casimir Radziminsky are mentioned. According to column 7 Thomas had an estate of 3 contributable “Huben” and additional 15 Morgen forest [see the remark “als Wald” in column 6]. According to column 8 there was contribution per “Hube” for the first 3 years, the next 3 years and the permanent contribution, followed in column 9 by the total amount of 6.5, 9 and 9 “Thaler” for all "Huben", Thomas had to contribute annually. Casimir had 1 “Hube”, 10 “Morgen” and additional 5 “Morgen” forest.

A short overview that might help you with the real estate of the Radziminsky family is provided in Leopold von Ledebur: Adelslexicon der preussischen Monarchie. Three volumes, published in Berlin 1855–1858. What makes this book special compared to other historical aristocratic lexicons, information is given on real estate in Prussia, and in some cases beyond.The book is available online, here is the link to the second volume, where the Radziminsky family is mentioned:

https://www.digitale-sammlungen.de/de/view/bsb10428749?page=258,259

You will find a long list of estates, among them Sasgau, first confirmed source from 1631.

Best
Michael
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:34 pm      Post subject:

Hello Michael,

Once again, I so value and appreciate your help! Without your assistance, I would not be able to make headway.

I am busy organizing all the translations, tidbits of information, resources, and puzzle pieces. Now that I know what I am looking at in these records, I can review some of the other estates in Neidenburg listed in the lexicon. Thank you for the link to the lexicon. I had discovered that very same resource (although on Google books) a couple of years ago. That is what I use as my overall "map" for the Radzyminski estates, owners, etc. Using the puzzle analogy, it is the outer edges of the puzzle frame. I see several estates and locations in Neidenburg directly related to my family: Frankenau (the home of the my ancestors which I was able to visit with Polish Origins in 2018); Wiersbau (the home of another direct ancestor); Pentzken; Sagsau, Sachen, and others. I have birth, marriage, and death records showing these locations, also land tax records and fire insurance records.

Can you recommend a good, high resolution map from late 1800s to early 1900 for Kreis Neidenburg that shows villages? I am looking for something digital that I can send to a printer to make a large wall map. I plan to use it as a means to map my puzzle pieces with push pins, strings, notes, etc. I am a visual person - need to see the big picture in front of me.

Thank you again. There will be more to come...
All the best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:26 am      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello Michael,

Once again, I so value and appreciate your help! Without your assistance, I would not be able to make headway.

I am busy organizing all the translations, tidbits of information, resources, and puzzle pieces. Now that I know what I am looking at in these records, I can review some of the other estates in Neidenburg listed in the lexicon. Thank you for the link to the lexicon. I had discovered that very same resource (although on Google books) a couple of years ago. That is what I use as my overall "map" for the Radzyminski estates, owners, etc. Using the puzzle analogy, it is the outer edges of the puzzle frame. I see several estates and locations in Neidenburg directly related to my family: Frankenau (the home of the my ancestors which I was able to visit with Polish Origins in 2018); Wiersbau (the home of another direct ancestor); Pentzken; Sagsau, Sachen, and others. I have birth, marriage, and death records showing these locations, also land tax records and fire insurance records.

Can you recommend a good, high resolution map from late 1800s to early 1900 for Kreis Neidenburg that shows villages? I am looking for something digital that I can send to a printer to make a large wall map. I plan to use it as a means to map my puzzle pieces with push pins, strings, notes, etc. I am a visual person - need to see the big picture in front of me.

Thank you again. There will be more to come...
All the best,
Cynthia

Hello Cynthia,

To understand spatial relationships of a wider area I would look for a topographical map with a scale of around 1:100 000. It’s detailed but not too, so you don’t get lost. To find a good map you might have a look at: http://igrek.amzp.pl/

A starting point could be the “Karte des Deutschen Reiches 1:100 000”. Scroll to “German Maps” or use directly the link to go to the index sheet where you can select the map you would like to see: Karte des Deutschen Reiches 1:100 000 - Generalstabskarte, ark. poj. /1870 - 1944/

http://igrek.amzp.pl/mapindex.php?cat=KDR100&listtype=standard&listsort=sortoption1

There are “Kreiskarten” and “Umgebungskarten” available too, but I have not found one for Neidenburg. So you might have to assemble your own “Kreiskarte” by choosing the maps from Neidenburg and the surrounding areas.

If you would like to dive deeper into the details, compare for example: Topographische Karte 1:25 000 (Meßtischblatt) cz. wsch. (Ostdeutschland) /1870 - 1945/

http://igrek.amzp.pl/mapindex.php?cat=TK25&listtype=standard&listsort=sortoption1

Select “2688 Neidenburg” and have a look at “Gut Sagsau”.

A more general view offers: Reymann's topographische Special-Karte von Central Europa 1:200 000

http://igrek.amzp.pl/mapindex.php?cat=REYMANN200&listtype=standard&listsort=sortoption1

These maps were produced in the first half of the 19th century. Select “201 Soldau“.

Best,
Michael
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:28 pm      Post subject:

Thanks for the map links and explanations! Very useful. I will look at the different maps to see what works best for my intentions. I think you are right- I will have to piece several maps together to get the wider area.

All the best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
rkowalski

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:30 pm      Post subject: Andreas Kowalski - civil registration of death record

To whom it may concern,

I wish to obtain an actual transcript of the German text and related translation into English of Andreas Kowalski’s (my 2nd great grandfather) civil registration of death record (please see the attached image).

I believe the informant is Justine Turk, born Buczewski, a resident of Zelgniewo and the sister-in-law to the deceased, Andreas Kowalski.

According to the church records I reviewed recently along with other research, Andreas Kowalski was born on 5 December 1819 in Zelgniewo (Selgenau), baptised on 11 December 1819 in Smilowo (Schmilau), died on 23 July 1886 in Zelgniewo (Selgenau), and buried on 27 July 1886 in Smilowo (Schmilau) His parents were Joseph Kowalski (1780-1859) and Catharina Wielmowski (1777/1782 – 1842). Andreas was married to Eva Rosina Buczewski (1826-1908).

Any assistance or suggestions are much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Rick Kowalski

55_550_0_3_38_19239756_01.jpg
 Description:
Civil registration of death record - Andreas Kowalski
 Filesize:  786.03 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

55_550_0_3_38_19239756_01.jpg

Kmichael8

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:49 am      Post subject: Re: Andreas Kowalski - civil registration of death record

rkowalski wrote:
To whom it may concern,

I wish to obtain an actual transcript of the German text and related translation into English of Andreas Kowalski’s (my 2nd great grandfather) civil registration of death record (please see the attached image).

I believe the informant is Justine Turk, born Buczewski, a resident of Zelgniewo and the sister-in-law to the deceased, Andreas Kowalski.

According to the church records I reviewed recently along with other research, Andreas Kowalski was born on 5 December 1819 in Zelgniewo (Selgenau), baptised on 11 December 1819 in Smilowo (Schmilau), died on 23 July 1886 in Zelgniewo (Selgenau), and buried on 27 July 1886 in Smilowo (Schmilau) His parents were Joseph Kowalski (1780-1859) and Catharina Wielmowski (1777/1782 – 1842). Andreas was married to Eva Rosina Buczewski (1826-1908).

Any assistance or suggestions are much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Rick Kowalski

Hello Rick,

Please find attached a transcription with the line break according to the original, followed by the translation of your record.

Best
Michael

C. Nr. 50
Selgenau am 24. Juli 1886
Vor dem unterzeichneten Standesbeamten erschien heute, der
Persönlichkeit nach
bekannt
die Häuslerwittwe Justine Türk geborene
Buczewski
wohnhaft zu Zelgniewo
und zeigte an, daß ihr Schwager, der Nachtwächter
Andreas Kowalski
sieben und sechzig
Jahre alt katholischer Religion,
wohnhaft zu Zelgniewo
geboren zu Zelgniewo, Sohn des Ackerwirthes
Joseph Kowalski und dessen Ehefrau
Anna geborene Wilmowski, verheirathet
mit der Eva geborene Buczewski
zu Zelgniewo, in seiner Wohnung
am dreiundzwanzigsten Juli des Jahres
tausend acht hundert achtzig und sechs
Nachmittags um fünf Uhr
verstorben sei. Die g[enannte] Türk versichert, die Angaben
auf Grund eigener Anschauung zu machen.
Vorgelesen, genehmigt und wegen Schreibens-
unkunde unterkreuzt
+++
Der Standesbeamte.
[Signature]

On the right margin there is a ”?“, the word “Schlaganfall” or stroke might indicate the cause of death and what I would read as “1. Minorenn” might mean that he left behind one child under age.

C. Nr. 50
Selgenau, on Juli 24, 1886.

Before the undersigned registrar appeared today, of known identity, the cottager’s widow Justine Türk, born Buczewski, residing in Zelgniewo, and gave notice that

her brother-in-law, the night watchman Andreas Kowalski, 67 years old, of Catholic religion, residing in Zelgniewo, born in Zelgniewo, son of the farmer Joseph Kowalski and his wife Anna, born Wilmowski, married with Eva, born Buczewski, died in Zelgniewo in his flat on July 23, 1886 at 5 o’clock p.m. The above mentioned Türk declares to provide the information on the basis of her own experience.

Read aloud in Polish, approved, and because the notice giver cannot write, marked with her sign.
+++
The registrar.
[Signature].
rkowalski

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:10 pm      Post subject:

Michael,
Thank you so much for your assistance with my request. I spent a few hours of my own attempting to translate the same record without much success, so to see what you provided is a real treat!

Again my sincere thanks to you and to this forum.

Sincerely,
Rick Kowalski
davidckane

Replies: 44

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:24 pm      Post subject: Niebojewski Record 1875

If you could please translate this document for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!

1875.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  782.03 KB

1875.gif

Kmichael8

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:32 am      Post subject: Re: Niebojewski Record 1875

davidckane wrote:
If you could please translate this document for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!

David,

Please find attached the translation.

Michael

A. No. 42.
Inowrazlaw, on February 24, 1875.

Before the undersigned registrar appeared today, of known identity, the night watchman [Nachtwächter] Joseph Niebojewski, residing in Soykowo [Polish: Sójkowo], of Catholic religion, and gave notice that

Victoria Niebojewska, born Olozewska, his wife, of Catholic religion, residing with him in Soykowo in his flat, on February 17, 1875 gave birth to a child of female gender and that the child was given the name Josepha.

Read aloud, approved, and because the notice giver cannot write, marked with his sign.
+++ Joseph Niebojewski
The registrar.
[Signature].
davidckane

Replies: 44

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:23 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much! As always, I am extremely grateful.
peplinskil

Replies: 40

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:10 am      Post subject: Marriage of Antoni Kaliszewski & Julia Twaragowska

Hello,
Can you please translate line number 10 involving the marriage of Antoni Kaliszewski & Julia Twaragowska?

Also, I'm curious if the dates on these documents use the Gregorian calendar or Julian calendar. If I am reading the date correctly for this marriage - Feb 6, 1882 - that would be a Monday on the Gregorian calendar or a Saturday on the Julian calendar.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Lee

1882-Antoni Kaliszewski & Julia Twaragowska-marriage certificate (0).png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.01 MB

1882-Antoni Kaliszewski & Julia Twaragowska-marriage certificate (0).png

Kmichael8

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:26 am      Post subject: Re: Marriage of Antoni Kaliszewski & Julia Twaragowska

peplinskil wrote:
Hello,
Can you please translate line number 10 involving the marriage of Antoni Kaliszewski & Julia Twaragowska?

Also, I'm curious if the dates on these documents use the Gregorian calendar or Julian calendar. If I am reading the date correctly for this marriage - Feb 6, 1882 - that would be a Monday on the Gregorian calendar or a Saturday on the Julian calendar.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Lee

Hello Lee,

Please find attached the translation of your record.

Best regards
Michael

No. of marriages performed in this parish: 10

Day and place of the marriage (the former in figures and letters): 6th of February [1882]

Of the groom
    Name, status and residence: Ant[on] Kaliszewski, farmer, Gorzno
    Previous relationship to marriage: bachelor
    Age (years): 24
    Confession: Cath[olic]

Of the bride
    Name and residence: Julia Twarogowska, Gorzno
    Previous relationship to marriage: maiden
    Age (years): 18
    Confession: Cath[olic]

The permission/consent of the parents and guardians:
    On the part of the groom: of age
    On the part of the: judicial permission

Date and place of the proclamation of the bans:
    On the part of the groom / On the part of the bride: unsure about this, might mean the 3rd Sunday after Epiphany (January 29, 1882) and Septuagesima (February 5, 1882), hence they married on Monday, February 6, 1882 as the dates on these documents use the Gregorian calendar

Name of the priest who performed the marriage: [name], Pfarrer

Remarks: none
Kurt1322

Replies: 66

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:17 pm      Post subject: Help with Census Record

I would very much appreciate any help translating info from this Census record.

Thank you,

Kurt

Stanislaus Kostecki_Polish Census.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  713.2 KB

Stanislaus Kostecki_Polish Census.jpg

Kmichael8

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:17 pm      Post subject: Re: Help with Census Record

Kurt1322 wrote:
I would very much appreciate any help translating info from this Census record.

Thank you,

Kurt

Hello Kurt,

Germany had and still has a so called “Meldewesen”, a system of registration for every resident. If you move into a flat or leave it to live elsewhere, you have to register at the registration office (“Meldeamt”). The data are processed on a household level (you might know it from the U.S. Census), so you will find a card (“Meldekarte”) for every household. This document is an example of such a card. I would assume it’s from the city of Posen.

You will find the members of the household:

1. Stanislaus Kostecki, a laborer [Arbeiter], born on April 30, 1874, of Catholic religion, born in Prochnowo, county Kolmar. His parents are Albert [Kostecki] and Agnes Szafranska.

2. Appolonia [Kostecki], born Przewozno, the wife, born on February 21, 1884, of Catholic religion, born in [the city of] Posen.

The couple married on December 28, 1901 in Posen. There is a reference, I think to the civil register, and you might find that the marriage was filed on record no. 898 of this year.

Beginning in the lower right corner of the first page and continued on the second page you will find the history of Stanislaus in this city: he arrived on October 28, 1901 from Tankow, county Rügen and moved into Wiesenstraße “bei Przewozny” – it looks as if Stanislaus moved into the flat of his future in-laws. On December 12, 1901 he moved into a flat of his own [“eigene Wohnung”]. I am unsure about the name of the street. After the marriage Appolonia’s name was added, you can recognize the different handwriting. On January 2, 1902 the couple left and moved to Glowno.

Best regards
Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 93, 94, 95  Next Page 60 of 95

Jump to: