PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:10 pm      Post subject: Information on my Great-Grandparents from Poland

I am looking for more information on my Great-Grandparents, who were both born in Poland. I have searched Ancestry, Geneteka and Familysearch but can only find information from when they moved to England. They were not listed on the UK census in 1911, but were married in London in 1913, so I assume they emigrated from Poland between 1911 and 1913.

My Great-Grandfather was Władysław Zubowicz. I believe his date of birth was 25 March 1885, but some documents in the UK say 1888. I have the UK 1921 census page which he completed. I can't work out if he says he was born in Warsaw? Or maybe Ostroleka? I have attached a copy.
His UK marriage certificate lists his father's name as Heinrich.

My Great-Grandmother was Anna Zubowicz (born Jaszkiewicz). The UK 1921 census lists her birthplace as Suwałki. I believe her date of birth was 8 Oct 1894. The marriage certificate lists her father's name as Anthony. (Antoni?)

I have all the UK information I can find, but would really like to find records from Poland. I have contacted the state archive in Suwałki and they are conducting a search but I'm not sure where else I can look.

1921 Census.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  207.43 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1921 Census.JPG

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:00 pm      Post subject: Re: Information on my Great-Grandparents from Poland

gwm81 wrote:
I am looking for more information on my Great-Grandparents, who were both born in Poland. I have searched Ancestry, Geneteka and Familysearch but can only find information from when they moved to England. They were not listed on the UK census in 1911, but were married in London in 1913, so I assume they emigrated from Poland between 1911 and 1913.

My Great-Grandfather was Władysław Zubowicz. I believe his date of birth was 25 March 1885, but some documents in the UK say 1888. I have the UK 1921 census page which he completed. I can't work out if he says he was born in Warsaw? Or maybe Ostroleka? I have attached a copy.
His UK marriage certificate lists his father's name as Heinrich.

My Great-Grandmother was Anna Zubowicz (born Jaszkiewicz). The UK 1921 census lists her birthplace as Suwałki. I believe her date of birth was 8 Oct 1894. The marriage certificate lists her father's name as Anthony. (Antoni?)

I have all the UK information I can find, but would really like to find records from Poland. I have contacted the state archive in Suwałki and they are conducting a search but I'm not sure where else I can look.

Hi,
In answer to one of your questions, the UK 1921 census page says both Warsaw and Ostrołęka. That is somewhat confusing, although there is a possibility that he did not mean the city of Ostrołęka which is some 80 miles north-northeast of Warsaw, but rather the village of Ostrołęka which is in the Gmina of Warka, in the Powiat (county) of Grójec, which is about 30 miles south of Warszawa (Warsaw).
What do you think?
Sophia
gwm81

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:27 pm      Post subject: Re: Information on my Great-Grandparents from Poland

Sophia wrote:

Hi,
In answer to one of your questions, the UK 1921 census page says both Warsaw and Ostrołęka. That is somewhat confusing, although there is a possibility that he did not mean the city of Ostrołęka which is some 80 miles north-northeast of Warsaw, but rather the village of Ostrołęka which is in the Gmina of Warka, in the Powiat (county) of Grójec, which is about 30 miles south of Warszawa (Warsaw).
What do you think?
Sophia

Hi,
Unfortunately, I don’t have any other documents which might give me further clues.
As the city of Ostrołęka is quite far from Warszawa, I guess the village may be more likely.
If I wanted to search further, would it be best to contact the Parish or the State Archives?
The only other information I know is that both my Great-Grandparents were Roman Catholic. He listed his occupation as a Bootmaker.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:55 pm      Post subject: Re: Information on my Great-Grandparents from Poland

gwm81 wrote:
Sophia wrote:

Hi,
What do you think?
Sophia

Hi,
Unfortunately, I don’t have any other documents which might give me further clues.
As the city of Ostrołęka is quite far from Warszawa, I guess the village may be more likely.
If I wanted to search further, would it be best to contact the Parish or the State Archives?
The only other information I know is that both my Great-Grandparents were Roman Catholic. He listed his occupation as a Bootmaker.

Hi,
I don't think you are quite ready to approach a parish. It would be better if we could get a better grip on the locale first. I did some additional thinking about the Warsaw and Ostroleka notation. It reminded me a bit of the way in which inhabitants of Warsaw refer to where they live by hyphenating Warsaw with the name of their district. See here a list of districts of Warsaw. and scroll down to the "history" section to see what I mean:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Districts_of_Warsaw

Now, there is no Warsaw-Ostroleka district. Whether there was, at one time (and specifically, around the time of his birth OR around the time he was writing the 1921 census) I do not know.

Something about you saying that he had the occupation of boot maker made me think he might not be from the tiny village of Ostroleka but maybe from Warsaw itself. Just a feeling, really.

Geneteka has some indexed records from Warsaw but much that is not indexed.

Sophia
gwm81

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:46 am      Post subject: Re: Information on my Great-Grandparents from Poland

Sophia wrote:

Hi,
I don't think you are quite ready to approach a parish. It would be better if we could get a better grip on the locale first. I did some additional thinking about the Warsaw and Ostroleka notation. It reminded me a bit of the way in which inhabitants of Warsaw refer to where they live by hyphenating Warsaw with the name of their district. See here a list of districts of Warsaw. and scroll down to the "history" section to see what I mean:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Districts_of_Warsaw

Now, there is no Warsaw-Ostroleka district. Whether there was, at one time (and specifically, around the time of his birth OR around the time he was writing the 1921 census) I do not know.

Something about you saying that he had the occupation of boot maker made me think he might not be from the tiny village of Ostroleka but maybe from Warsaw itself. Just a feeling, really.

Geneteka has some indexed records from Warsaw but much that is not indexed.

Sophia

Thanks Sophia,

I have been searching and can't find anything referring to a Ostroleka district in Warsaw at the time of his birth or at the time of the 1921 census. I wonder whether the UK 1921 census definitely says Ostroleka and not a similar word?
Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:54 pm      Post subject:

Geneteka has online scans for parish Ostrołęka /Grójecki:
1866-1870 https://metryki.genealodzy.pl/ar2-zs1307d
1875-1918 https://metryki.genealodzy.pl/ar4-zs0464d
Look first at the indexes SK at the end of a set.
gwm81

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:24 pm      Post subject:

Henryk wrote:
Geneteka has online scans for parish Ostrołęka /Grójecki:
1866-1870 https://metryki.genealodzy.pl/ar2-zs1307d
1875-1918 https://metryki.genealodzy.pl/ar4-zs0464d
Look first at the indexes SK at the end of a set.

Thanks Henryk

I have looked through the indexes SK scans 1885-1889. I couldn't find any Zubowicz. I will look further tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: