PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:51 pm      Post subject: Resmin? Suymin?

Hello!

I’ve been researching my surname line for awhile, and it remains a brick wall for me. The first of my ancestors to immigrate to the US was (I believe) Marcin Szarafiński. The attached photo is what I suspect to be him on a passenger list from Hamburg in 1863 - passenger #162. Can anyone make out the town he (and a few others) are coming from? I read it as “Resmin”, which would correspond to modern day Radzim. It is indexed as “Suymin”… no such town existed, per Kartenmeister. If my previous research is correct, he was born in Osche (modern Osie, Kuyawsko-Pomorskie). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

76DD0839-E64C-49C1-8954-A37E575C05A1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.58 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

76DD0839-E64C-49C1-8954-A37E575C05A1.jpeg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:45 am      Post subject: Re: Resmin? Suymin?

Ski_MKE wrote:
Hello!

I’ve been researching my surname line for awhile, and it remains a brick wall for me. The first of my ancestors to immigrate to the US was (I believe) Marcin Szarafiński. The attached photo is what I suspect to be him on a passenger list from Hamburg in 1863 - passenger #162. Can anyone make out the town he (and a few others) are coming from? I read it as “Resmin”, which would correspond to modern day Radzim. It is indexed as “Suymin”… no such town existed, per Kartenmeister. If my previous research is correct, he was born in Osche (modern Osie, Kuyawsko-Pomorskie). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
My initial impression is that the place name you are looking at is not related to Marcin Szarafinski, but to the person in the line beneath him. It would be helpful to see more of that page, to see for sure.
It would also be useful to see the headings of the columns. In some of the old ship manifests, the column headers are only on the first page, so perhaps in your case you have to provide two images, one of the first page and one of the full page your Marcin is on. If you could post those, then I will see if I can assist you.
Best regards,
Sophia
Ski_MKE

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:18 am      Post subject: Re: Resmin? Suymin?

Sophia wrote:
Ski_MKE wrote:
Hello!

Hi,
My initial impression is that the place name you are looking at is not related to Marcin Szarafinski, but to the person in the line beneath him. It would be helpful to see more of that page, to see for sure.
It would also be useful to see the headings of the columns. In some of the old ship manifests, the column headers are only on the first page, so perhaps in your case you have to provide two images, one of the first page and one of the full page your Marcin is on. If you could post those, then I will see if I can assist you.
Best regards,
Sophia

Thank you for the reply, Sophia. A larger image is attached.

- Mark

**EDIT: Obviously, no image is attached. The attachment function is not working for me. I struggled to add the original attachment to this thread as well. Using an iPad. Any advice?
Ski_MKE

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:25 am      Post subject:

Since the attachment function refuses to cooperate, here’s a link to the document in Ancestry Library Edition… https://www.ancestrylibrary.com/imageviewer/collections/1068/images/K_1709_080468-0038?treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Hkf1&_phstart=successSource&pId=5497383
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:14 am      Post subject:

Hi,
Well, this is unfortunate. I asked if you could post the image because I do not think that FamilySearch has the Hamburg passenger lists, and I unfortunately do not have access to Ancestry.
I expect the problem with uploading the image is because it exceeds the file size limit. Here are the limits for various types of files:
https://forum.polishorigins.com/attach_rules.php?f=28
Now the problem is, how to reduce the size of the attachment without making the image difficult to read.
Sophia
Ski_MKE

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:38 am      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
Hi,
Well, this is unfortunate. I asked if you could post the image because I do not think that FamilySearch has the Hamburg passenger lists, and I unfortunately do not have access to Ancestry.
I expect the problem with uploading the image is because it exceeds the file size limit. Here are the limits for various types of files:
https://forum.polishorigins.com/attach_rules.php?f=28
Now the problem is, how to reduce the size of the attachment without making the image difficult to read.
Sophia

Let’s see if this works (passenger #162)…

8E94F22F-DA80-440F-8905-0A6D75D66479.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  455.74 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

8E94F22F-DA80-440F-8905-0A6D75D66479.jpeg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:45 am      Post subject:

That image is just fine, thanks.
I support your reading of Resmin. One other way of reading it which I considered is that the name might begin "Ref...." based on the way the "f" looks in other places on this manifes (used in "frau" many times in the Gewerbe column) and that could lead to Refsminde, however the ending of the place name as written does not support this possibility.
I would add that I am still not convinced that Resmin refers to him. When you look at how the brackets are used, you see that the bracket includes a group of people (but not the head of household). For example, the person on line 52, while not included in the bracket, is head of the group in the bracket and you know this because of the use of the abbreviated "ditto" which indicates that his last name is theirs as well. The same applies to the two Voldin families below, where the dittos and brackets are used in that same way. The three people (lines 163, 164, 165) from Resmin don't relate in the same way to the Szarafinski entry on line 162. The way I read it on this manifest, no information was entered for him in this column. How do you interpret that?
You might try re-posting the image on the German records translation thread. Michael is very skilled in reading this handwriting.
Sophia
Ski_MKE

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:12 am      Post subject:

Thanks for your input, Sophia. I’ll post over in the German Records thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: