PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 21

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:19 pm      Post subject: Information

I am new to the forum, and have two documents that I would like submit for a possible translation, however they are from the registry. lubg-ens.eu, so can I just state all of the relative information to these given scans or must I post a copy of the scan?

Gabby[/i][/b]
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:28 pm      Post subject: Re: Information

gabby wrote:
I am new to the forum, and have two documents that I would like submit for a possible translation, however they are from the registry. lubg-ens.eu, so can I just state all of the relative information to these given scans or must I post a copy of the scan?

Gabby[/i][/b]

Hi Gabby,

For a translation you can post the link to the records and/or scans of the records. The more info you can provide to the translator the better.

Wishing you success,

Dave
gabby

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:52 pm      Post subject: Need Old Russian Translation

In searching for my Grandfathers death info, I have located what I believe is two possible records in Old Russian for the same name and cannot tell if one of them might be his. His name is Jan Garbula, husband of Anastazia (Romanczuk) son of Maciej & Marianna Garbula of Tomaszow Lubelski. It is a know fact to me that there are two Garbula families in Tomaszow, but they claim no relationship(?). Interesting that two Jan's died a year apart. Both records are from registry.lubegens.eu/news.phd One record is from 1912 #144 skan 27 of 125 (10493431) the other is from 1913 #135 skan 51 of 250 (10507718). Would appreciate help in learn if one is my GF.

Screenshot (55).png
 Description:
Hopefully these screenshots, and the info inclosed will work. Not that well versed in doing these. Thanks.
 Filesize:  1.06 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Screenshot (55).png

Screenshot (56).png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.3 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Screenshot (56).png

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:10 am      Post subject: Re: Need Old Russian Translation

gabby wrote:
In searching for my Grandfathers death info, I have located what I believe is two possible records in Old Russian for the same name and cannot tell if one of them might be his. His name is Jan Garbula, husband of Anastazia (Romanczuk) son of Maciej & Marianna Garbula of Tomaszow Lubelski. It is a know fact to me that there are two Garbula families in Tomaszow, but they claim no relationship(?). Interesting that two Jan's died a year apart. Both records are from registry.lubegens.eu/news.phd One record is from 1912 #144 skan 27 of 125 (10493431) the other is from 1913 #135 skan 51 of 250 (10507718). Would appreciate help in learn if one is my GF.

I am working on it.

PAYPAL: [email protected]
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:14 am      Post subject: Re: Need Old Russian Translation

marcelproust wrote:
gabby wrote:

I am working on it.

Hi Gabby & Marcel,

Marcel, Neither of these records are the death records Gabby thought they were.

Gabby, Neither of the two records you posted are death records and they don’t involve anyone with the surname Garbula. They are birth records for two boys, one named Jan and the other named Adam.

I realize that it is difficult to read docs written in Russian using Cyrillic script. Some Cyrillic letters resemble those of the Roman Alphabet but they are not the same as our Latin letters and usually the only similarity is that they look like letters we use. I’m far from any kind of expert in Cyrillic script. I did teach myself to read it but very slowly and with difficulty. However, there usually are some things in the records which can help you to recognize names. The main aid is that usually Polish given and surnames appear in the text in parentheses following the name in Cyrillic script. In your screenshot #55 the name of the father (Michał) is found in both languages in line 3; the mother’s name (Anna) is found in line 11 and the name of the child (Adam) is found in line 14.

Here is a link to some examples of Russian language records with an interlinear translation: https://www.sggee.org/research/rus_translate/nap_documents.html They come from a German research site so the docs are not exactly what you would find in Polish Catholic records but the format is very similar. They should at least provide you with a method you can use to identify who is who in records you may find. I hope you find them useful.

Wishing you success,

Dave
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:36 am      Post subject: Re: Need Old Russian Translation

gabby wrote:

Hi Gabby,
Dave is right, the scans you want are not these. It is a problem with LubGens, that sometimes the link they provide goes to exactly the scan you need, and sometimes (as in your case) the link they provide only takes you to the right book and you need to find which scan of that book has your image. Since these church books contain baptisms, then marriages, then deaths, you need to get to the deaths section before looking for the Akt number that you need. Here, I have found for you the correct scans to see the images that you need:

For the 1912 death record of Jan Garbula, you want Akt # 144:
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/skan/-/skan/57af769d45e7d66f8e8603da67810cb2f76539345da58f4a380a3ab160a38f25

For the 1913 death record of Jan Garbula, you want Akt # 135:
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/skan/-/skan/a686287f094b0212726c0e5b725baf7909ee59b66f3c2719b9c1181be82160ba

Now, using Dave's advice, are you able to see the name "Jan Garbula" in each of these?

Good luck with your search,
Sophia
gabby

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:07 pm      Post subject: Old Russian Translation-help

Hope that the link above, 1913 death record of Jan Garbula Akt#135 is the one that I am looking for as I can see his name. The screen shot (55).png is not the same record all though it has the same #135. In searching the Lubg-eus site for deaths of a Jan Garbula it returned six records from Tomazow Lub. covering 1885 through 1913.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:00 pm      Post subject: Re: Old Russian Translation-help

gabby wrote:
Hope that the link above, 1913 death record of Jan Garbula Akt#135 is the one that I am looking for as I can see his name. The screen shot (55).png is not the same record all though it has the same #135. In searching the Lubg-eus site for deaths of a Jan Garbula it returned six records from Tomazow Lub. covering 1885 through 1913.

Hi Gabby,

You are correct, both records are #135. This church book begins with baptisms numbered sequentially, and so the first time you encounter a #135 it is a baptism. Once the baptisms are complete, there are marriages where the numbers start at #1 all over again. Then there are deaths, and what you want is death #135.

In the 1912 death record, record #144, you can see the name Jan at the very end of line 10, and Garbula at the very beginning of line 11. Does that help?

Sophia

P.S. I see that the way I provided a link earlier to the scan does not allow good magnification. Try this instead:
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/jednostka/-/jednostka/10493431?_Jednostka_resetCur=false&_Jednostka_delta=229
You want scan 119 of 125.
gabby

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:49 pm      Post subject: Old Russian Translation-help

Thanks Sophia, I am now able to see the Jan info relative to #144 with your new link. It is rather interesting that there appears to be two death records for a Jan Garbula, hopefully I can get both of these looked at. Do you think Marcel might do the translations?

Gabby
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:50 pm      Post subject: Re: Old Russian Translation-help

gabby wrote:
Thanks Sophia, I am now able to see the Jan info relative to #144 with your new link. It is rather interesting that there appears to be two death records for a Jan Garbula, hopefully I can get both of these looked at. Do you think Marcel might do the translations?

Gabby

The best way to ask Marcel for help is to place the links to the two scans here on the Russian records translation thread:
https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=60024#60024
Just enter your request in the message box.
It would be helpful to give the name you're looking for (Jan Garbula), the name of the town (Tomaszow Lubelski) and the number of the Akt.
For easier magnification of the 1913 death, use this link:
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/jednostka/-/jednostka/10507718?_Jednostka_delta=20&_Jednostka_resetCur=false&_Jednostka_cur=12&_Jednostka_id_jednostki=10507718
And specify that the scan is # 226 and the Akt is # 135.
I hope the records contain info that helps you ascertain which Jan is yours. The death records are often the least informative, in my opinion. But one can hope.
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> What, Why, How...? All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: