PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:34 pm      Post subject: Surname Dzianik

When my grandfather iimgrated to the US, his last name was spelled Janik. His father also came here under the name janik. When my grandfather learned to read and write english, he applied for citiznship. On his papers he spelled his name Dzianik. Could it be the right spelling of janik in Poland or is it just a pronunciation issue?
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:24 pm      Post subject: Re: Surname Dzianik

Tarryl wrote:
When my grandfather iimgrated to the US, his last name was spelled Janik. His father also came here under the name janik. When my grandfather learned to read and write english, he applied for citiznship. On his papers he spelled his name Dzianik. Could it be the right spelling of janik in Poland or is it just a pronunciation issue?

Tarryl, the combination Dzie is pronounced gen or jen in Polish. As the word Dziękuję (jen-coo-ja) meaning "thank you".
Send e-mail
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:28 pm      Post subject: Re: Surname Dzianik

Tarryl wrote:

Tarryl,
Hmm, that's interesting. With my limited knowledge of Polish pronunciation, I would say that Dzianik could sound like the English pronounced name of Janik (as long as the 'a' was NOT pronounced like the 'a' in at or ate). However, in Poland the J is pronounced like a Y, so Janik would not be pronounced as Dzianik in Poland. It looks like there are many with the surname of Janik in Poland if you search here: https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/
When I searched for Dzianik, nothing showed up. If you Google Dzianik, you will find some people with that surname, and also some discussions of it on message boards. I assume you must already know where your grandfather came from in Poland since you have his citizenship papers. I too am curious why he would have spelled his name differently on them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: