PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2022 11:20 am      Post subject: New and looking for records

I am many hours in and finally confirmed with a little help that my great-grandfather came from Nowy Targ. I'm at a full stop . I have found a possible brother via records in the United States for a draft. But his birthplace States Austria so I'm not thinking it's his brother? There are so many misspellings and incorrect information with immigrants but I'm certain I have found the correct man to be my great-grandfather the draft card has an address that was passed down on some paperwork and his birth place is listed as Nowy Targ. Born 1888
there was another gentleman by the name of Mathew Liszka the birthplace on a draft card we believe it to be Odrowaz. We do believe he had a brother Matthew and a brother Joseph.
My hope is to find some sort of record from a church for baptism and hope to determine parents by these brothers names. My great grandfather's name was Andrew but determined it to be spelled Andrzej. I don't know what Mathew would have been spelled like and I'm hoping for input. I will do my research on how to find Church records.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2783

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2022 12:04 pm      Post subject: Re: New and looking for records

LookingforLiszka wrote:
I am many hours in and finally confirmed with a little help that my great-grandfather came from Nowy Targ. I'm at a full stop . I have found a possible brother via records in the United States for a draft. But his birthplace States Austria so I'm not thinking it's his brother? There are so many misspellings and incorrect information with immigrants but I'm certain I have found the correct man to be my great-grandfather the draft card has an address that was passed down on some paperwork and his birth place is listed as Nowy Targ. Born 1888
there was another gentleman by the name of Mathew Liszka the birthplace on a draft card we believe it to be Odrowaz. We do believe he had a brother Matthew and a brother Joseph.
My hope is to find some sort of record from a church for baptism and hope to determine parents by these brothers names. My great grandfather's name was Andrew but determined it to be spelled Andrzej. I don't know what Mathew would have been spelled like and I'm hoping for input. I will do my research on how to find Church records.

Hi,

During the period of the Partitions of Poland (1772 to the end of WWI Nowy Targ was in the area under Austrian control known as Galicia. Ethnic Poles living in Galicia were citizens of the Austrian Empire so the person who is recorded as being from Austria could very well be your Great Grandfather’s brother. Andrzej is the Polish version of Andrew, Mateusz is the Polish version of Matthew and Józef is the Polish version of Joseph.

Only a very few records from Nowy Targ are available online but the years you would need are housed in the archives of the Archdiocese of Kraków. Here is a link to info about where to find records for Nowy Targ: https://parafie.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=pr&pid=5632 There are quite a few RC parishes in Nowy Targ but Saint Catherine (św.Katarzyny) would be the parish where he would have been born & baptized. There is also a link to the parish’s web site on the page.

Wishing you success,

Dave
LookingforLiszka

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2022 1:52 pm      Post subject:

Very appreciated!
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1000

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:47 pm      Post subject:

This is definitely a case of Jeja Vu! My ancestors are from Odrowaz and I visited the village on a fantastic Polish Origins tour in 2008. After my Polish Origins tour another Polish Origins member posted almost the same message as yours about her Grandmother. She only knew that her grandmother was from Nowy Targ. Together, she and I determined that her grandmother came from the village next to Odrowaz. We are now great friends and have spent hundreds of hours working on our shared family history. As for your great-grandfather - I think I can help you. There were Liszka families in that village. Can you tell me anything else about Andrzej? If you would prefer to communicate privately, please send me a private message. Kindest Regards, Shellie
Kim K

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:40 pm      Post subject: Post subject: New and looking for records

Copies of some records from Odrowąż are indeed at the Archdiocese archives in Krakow. It was its own parish, so the book name is the same. The dates that were available when I visited in 2019 were: 1786-1832 ; 1837-1850; 1886-1889.

I don't have a direct lead for you because I was searching marriages but I happened to photograph one of the birth pages from 1889 (Jan-Feb). There is a godparent Jan Liszka on that page. Sorry I don't have other pages to check!
-Kim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research Resources, Tools & Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: