PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:44 pm      Post subject:

Cyrwus wrote:
Bill, I sent you an email with the pictures in it you can post them if you want Mark

Thanks Mark

IMAG0026 clipped ided.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.48 KB
 Viewed:  12253 Time(s)

IMAG0026 clipped ided.jpg

Send e-mail
Hussar

Replies: 35

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:10 pm      Post subject:

Funny how the partisans and others came up. I once talked and had a few beers with a guy from Division-Western before my time and how illigal immigrants from Poland were brought through and sheltered by a certain group. Southside had to have similar.
PaniKohani

Replies: 31

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:07 pm      Post subject:

Hi folks,

I still live a couple of neighborhoods west of the Back of the Yards neighborhood (in Archer Heights). I just want to tell you that Paul Valasek (from the informative Gen Dobry newsletter, which I suscribe to), just today posted a really interesting historical report on the StockYards). Many of you must know of Gen Dobry too, but for those who don't I will post the link here soon (-- sorry I can't switch screens on the computer to do so today-- but if anyone can in the meantime, feel free to post it ahead of me).

Paul brought back a memory... as for years I tried and tried to recall the name of the company my Dad took a 2nd job at, to keep his family going. It was called Darling (how ironic) and he would come home reeking (whatever he was hired to do there remained a mystery, but the plant itself- rendered the bones, and hair and fat, etc., from the poor slaughtered stockyard animals-- into what, don't ask. But my mother (or any of us kids for that matter) did not appreciate those days he came home and went straight into the basement to strip and shower down! Peeyeew!! Crying or Very sad

However, in retrospect (and I don't know how my hard-workind father could have stomached it), our family really owed him a debt of gratitude for this deep sacrifice he made to feed and clothe and provide a middle-class life for us). THANKS DAD! Very Happy
PaniKohani

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:48 pm      Post subject:

Growing up in a neighboring area, it always confused me about 'what was what' east of me. This added piece of information
helped clarify and put into perspective the setting for this area (the two links cover some history and current demographics and surrounding communities);

Like Russian dolls, the Stockyards was contained within the Back-of-the-Yards,
in turn contained within the Bridgeport neighborhood, in turned contained with
a designated Chicago communty known as New City:

http://www.explorechicago.org/city/en/neighborhoods/back_of_the_yards.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_City,_Chicago
PaniKohani

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:04 pm      Post subject:

"...my great uncle Jakob Gil and his bride Zofia Bafia were married at Sacred Heart Church on Feb. 14 1915. I would guess they lived in the area. The priest's name was F.J. Karabasz.

Of note too, my "Uncle Joe" Jozef Gil, who is my godfather and I think second cousin (My great uncle's son) was president of the Highlanders Association in the late 70's...."

Eric,

FYI: There is a curent GIL surname in neighboring Archer Heights. It belongs to the current owner of a longtime neighborhood grocery, known as Gilmart (I'm not sure if his first name is Joe, but his last name is definitely Gil): Here is the store contact information: 773) 585-5514 · 5050 S Archer Ave, Chicago, IL 60632 ·

We are a continuum. Just as we reach back to our ancestors for our fundamental values, so we, as guardians of that legacy, must reach ahead to our children and their children. And we do so with a sense of sacredness in that reaching.

Paul Tsongas
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:26 pm      Post subject:

Adding Ute's relatives, Lojas and Penksa to the BOY map.

BOY map updated.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  232.42 KB
 Viewed:  12266 Time(s)

BOY map updated.jpg

Send e-mail
PaniKohani

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:34 pm      Post subject:

*** Chicago Stockyards — Butcher to the World ***

by Paul S. Valasek DDS <Hallersarmy>

Recently, I had the fantastic experience of walking through the Stockyards Bank, originally known as the Livestock National Bank in Chicago, at Exchange and Halsted Streets. This extraordinary bank structure is just about all that remains of that massive Chicago industry known as the Stockyards. From 1865 through 1971, Chicago was the meat capital of the U.S. and approximations lead us to believe that at one time, Chicago produced 82% of all meat consumed in this country. Those days are gone, and what remains is just a hint of what was.

The Stockyards Bank is a City of Chicago Landmark being maintained in an “existence nature” by the city waiting for someone to come along and develop it. This building was finished in 1926 and bears a distinct resemblance to Independence Hall in Philadelphia. This was deliberate as 1926 was the 150th Anniversary of the United States of America. It has the bell tower, cupola, and east and west wings that emulated those of the founding fathers’ building in Pennsylvania. It has fallen on hard times recently as its last tenant was a flooring company that used it as a warehouse/ sales center. But what history it has seen!

As any Polish researcher knows, laborers from Eastern Europe took any and all jobs that kept their families alive. As mining coal was not an option in Chicago, butchering and steel mills provided jobs for those with strong backs. Many Poles, along with Czechs, Slovaks, Germans, Irish, Italians, Ukrainians, and Lithuanians, came to work at the stockyards and to raise their families in nearby neighborhoods. Thus was born that area of the city still known as Back of the Yards. Many Polish families settled here and recruits were quite evident for Haller’s Army in 1917-1919.

One of the largest recruitment rallies was held at Dexter Pavilion in 1917, with nearly 20,000 in attendance. This same Dexter Pavilion, less than a mile from the Stockyards Bank, burned down with most of the buildings in the Great Stockyards Fire of 1934. In its footprint rose the International Amphitheater, home to the infamous 1968 Democratic Convention, as well as entertainers Elvis Presley and the Beatles. Trade fairs, cars shows, and even rodeos and the circus played in this arena, and most of the attendance came from areas that housed those great ethnic conclaves, all related to the slaughterhouse industry.

Now, a supply company sits in the location where history was created and witnessed. Just down the street is the historical Stockyards gate, preserved in the early 70s by many groups in the area, especially the Stock Yards Area Kiwanis Club, which I served as President in the 1990s. That club was made up of many businessmen, a large percentage having Polish ethnicity, who started the club founded as the Town of Lake Kiwanis Club on December 8, 1936 and formally chartered on February 24, 1937. They met at the Stock Yards Inn, just across the street from the bank, which unfortunately burned in that fire of 1934 and was rebuilt, only to succumb to progress and the wrecking ball. The area now is destined for a parking lot for whoever develops the bank building.

If you ever had a relative living on the South-Southwest side of Chicago, chances are they had some connection to the Stockyards. Workers, butchers, bankers, drivers, truckers, waste disposal, shipping, railroad, canals, department of streets and sanitation for Chicago, just to name a few, worked to keep the Stockyards going 24/7.

If you ever get a chance, drive by this area to see where many Poles worked alongside all other groups of immigrants. It’s hard to fathom what was there, but anyone (my wife especially, who grew up six miles away from the yards) can tell that if the wind was blowing from the northeast, it passed over the yards and a company known as Darling, a tannery and processor of hides. Let us say, six miles away, you knew which way the wind was blowing. Another crazy part of the Stockyards’ history is that small inlet off the South Branch of the Chicago River that passes nearby. This inlet was commonly known as “Bubbly Creek,” but the bubbles were far from those we may envision in champagne. As animal waste was processed and disposed of down the sewers (some of which have been known to descend 90+ feet under the streets), leakage of waste would leach its way into the river and continue to decompose, thus the production of gas and the rising of bubbles in the water. Not only was it a horrible smell, but stories from the 19th and early 20th centuries tell of kids swimming in the creek, as the bubbles only added to the “fun.” I don’t think that would be happening anymore.

When I spoke with the City Director about the integrity of the bank before visiting it, (I was concerned as to the safety of the structure to walk through), I was told, “It’s built like a brick s**t house.” People, who have met me, know that I am not a small individual. Walking all the way up to the clock tower, I never heard one creak or moan from a structure built to last. It’s a shame other buildings from this great historic area have not withstood man as well.

Past Presidents of the Stock Yards Area Kiwanis Club

(As taken from the last professionally printed Membership Directory - 1994)

1937 Steven Witmanski

1938 Frank Covert

1939 William Fuka

1940 Art Butler

1941 Dr. Matthew Deplewski

1942 Charles Detrick

1943 Anthony Vosyka

1944 Dr. Edwin Lukaszewski

1945 P.J. Stransky

1946 Eugene Herder

1947 Steward W. Knarr

1948 Alfred Vlcek

1949 Dr. Frank Wojniak

1950 Dr. Walter V. Raczynski (Fellow dentist - Recruited me for membership)

1951 John Vlazny

1952 Eugene Hughes

1953 Dr. Marion Kostrubala (my great-uncle)

1954 Frank McDonough

1955 Dr. Otto Wagner

1956 Edward Zamon

1957 Roy Buell

1958 John Chudzik (possible relative)

1959 Joseph Vlack

1960 Al Schuh

1961 Stanley R. Broda (Funeral Director who buried a number of my family)

1962 Carl Klein

1963 Rowe Van Houten

1964 Carl L. Rosenbaum

1965 Thaddeus Chud

1966 Ervin Jezek

1967 Bruno Movrich

1968 Louis Ogonek

1969 Robert L. Northway

1970 Henri Grier

1971 Bill Becvar (another family member)

1972 Bob Fuka

1973 Rev. Eugene Vandoske

1974 David Moore

1975 Dr. John Poronsky (Fellow dentist)

1976 Rev. Frederick E. Ball

1977 Michael R. Fortino

1978 Rev. Robert Tremaine

1979 Edmund F. Babel

1980 Edmund F. Babel

1981 Dennis Neumann

1982 Dennis Neumann

1983 Dr. Alex Maniatis

1984 Richard T. Manak

1985 Richard T. Manak

1986 Richard T. Manak

1987 Timothy P. Grant

1988 Timothy P. Grant

1989 Helen D. Raczynski (Substantial activist in Chicago’s Polonia)

1990 Helen D. Raczynski

1991 Leonard Brettman (Resigned March 1992)

1992 Dr. Paul S. Valasek

1993 Dr. Paul S. Valasek

1994 Dr. Paul S. Valasek

<http>

<http>

<http>
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:02 am      Post subject:

jackiewisniewski wrote:
searching for Wisniewski Smile Jackie

Jackie would you have a Thaddeus Wisniewski in your tree, he was mentioned in a obit I have from 1949. Dzienki Bill
Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:18 am      Post subject: Residents of 4337, 4335, 4333, Marshfield Ave., in 1910

Bill Rushin wrote:
Wladyslaw Kmiotek and Tekla Rusin lived at 4336 Marshfield 1922 (Rusin's are from Gron)
John Mrozek and Mary Rusin lived at 4836 Marshfield 1928
Bruno J. Budz and Lillian lived at 4405 S. Marshfield 1930
Bruno J Budz lived at 5416 Honore st. 1918
Tony Mrozek lived at 5416 Honore st. 1920

See my updated list of residents of 4337, 4335, 4333, Marshfield Ave., Chicago, Ward 29, when the 1910 Census was taken on April 29, 1910 that I posted on Thu Mar 22, 2012.

Last edited by Ute on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:16 am; edited 2 times in total
jmajer1115

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:21 pm      Post subject:

Mark, my family also lived at 4329 S. Paulina for a while. Interestingly, one of the witnesses on my great grandfather's naturalization papers was a Frank Cyrwus who listed his occupation as tavern owner at the same address. I'd also love to see the bar pics, if it is no trouble. I'm sure they spent a lot of time there (ha).
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:36 pm      Post subject:

jmajer1115 wrote:
Mark, my family also lived at 4329 S. Paulina for a while. Interestingly, one of the witnesses on my great grandfather's naturalization papers was a Frank Cyrwus who listed his occupation as tavern owner at the same address. I'd also love to see the bar pics, if it is no trouble. I'm sure they spent a lot of time there (ha).

Mark sent the pics to me jmajer since we just discovered we are cousins, unfortunately the inside shots of the bar (2) have a little reflection problem. When Mark rescans them I'll post them. Here is one with Mark's GF behind the bar.

Cyrwus_Tavern 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.44 KB
 Viewed:  12261 Time(s)

Cyrwus_Tavern 2.jpg

Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:42 pm      Post subject:

Close up Cyrwus Tavern

cyrwus tavern 1959 close up.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.41 KB
 Viewed:  12261 Time(s)

cyrwus tavern 1959 close up.jpg

Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:54 am      Post subject: Re: Residents of 4337, 4335, 4333, Marshfield Ave., in 1910

Residents of 4337, 4335, 4333, Marshfield Ave., Chicago, Ward 29, when the 1910 Census was taken on April 29, 1910.

Some of the names were indexed incorrectly. I have tried to correct the most obvious spelling errors. If you see something that doesn't seem right, please let me know. Any corrections, additions, or further information on the families listed below are welcome.

Family 242
NOWOBURSKI, Joseph, 21 ys., NOWOBURSKI, Karoline, wife , 19 ys., Boarders: KALAFUT, Wojciech, 21 ys., WILCZEK, Andrew, 22 ys.

Family 243
MALKUSZAK, John, 29 ys., MALKUSZAK, Rozalia, wife, 23 ys., children Frank, 5 ys., Mary, 3 ys., Annie, 1 yr., another Annie, 1/2 yr.

Family 244
MAREK, Frank (indexed as Marck), 27 ys., MAREK, Julia, wife, 25 ys., children John, 6 ys., Anna, 3 ys., Mary, 2 ys., Boarders: REKLARCZYK, Joseph , 20 ys., KEBLESH, Ludwik , 20 ys., DUDZIK, Mary, 20 ys., DUDZIK, Anna, 15 ys.

Update: Frank Marek's wife Julia was Ludwik Keblesh's sister. Ludwik Keblesh changed his last name to Kiebles and married Karolina Tylka [see Family 246] on 15 Jan 1911 in Chicago.

Family 245
BARAN, Mike, 28 ys., BARAN, Victoria, wife, 25 ys., children Bronislawa, 4 ys., Mary, 3 ys., Joseph, 3 mo; Boarder DLUGI, George, 37 ys.

Family 246
SMIETANA, Wojciech (indexed as Smeltang, Wojcied), 21 ys., SMIETANA, Karoline, wife, 20 ys.; Boarders: TELKA (TYLKA?), Jendrzy, 21 ys., KOLTRAN or HOLTRAN, Andrew, 23 ys., TELKA, Karoline, 16 ys.
Note: The correct spelling of the name TELKA is most likely TYLKA.

Family 247
MALICINA, Szymon, 28 ys., MALICINA, John, brother, 21 ys.; Boarder: LUKASZCZEK (?), Andrew, 27 ys.

Family 248
BRYJAK, Andrew, 30 ys., BRYJAK, Anna, wife, 24 ys., children Zofie, 4 ys., Joseph, 3 ys., Walter, 11 mo; Boarder: WYDRA or NYDRA, Frank, 19 ys.

UPDATE: I'm researching the Bryjak families from the district of Nowy Targ and have information and records on the Andrew Bryjak family. Anna Bryjak's maiden name was Anna Waskiewicz. Her first husband was Andrew Bryiak from Dlugopole (b 06 Nov 1879, d 10 Mar 1923), her second husband was William Tylka. When the 1930 Census was taken, the Tylka family lived at W. 55th St., Chicago. Anna Bryjak-Tylka passed away 1972. Bryjak children (first marriage) were Zofia Bryjak [marr Andrew NykazaJ; Joseph Bryjak [marr Agnes Suski], and Walter Bryjak [marr Helen Byrdak].

Family 249
SZYMBORSKI, Mike, 31 ys., SZYMBORSKI, Julia, wife, 26 ys.; Boarders: DANOWICZ, Bazelis, 35 ys., SMUCHOWSKI, Julian, 35 ys.

Family 250
KASZPRZAK (misspelled Kaszpraak), John, 21 ys, KASZPRZAK, Mary, wife, 20 ys.

Family 451
KULKA, John, 35 ys., KULKA, Katie, wife, 24 ys., Boarder: HUNDRASYCA, Joana, sister-in-law of John Kulka, 18 ys.

Family 452
MIGAS or MIGOS, John Kanty, 37 ys., MIGAS or MIGOS, Mary, wife, 27 ys., child Stephania, 7 mo.; MIGAS or MIGOS, John, brother of MIGAS or MIGOS, John Kanty, 25 ys.

Last edited by Ute on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:44 am; edited 3 times in total
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:24 am      Post subject:

Ute, I found 9 records for Anna, Andrew and William. I made a big text file and 2 pics of docs. Will email in 2 mins. Bill
Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:54 am      Post subject:

Bill Rushin wrote:
Ute, I found 9 records for Anna, Andrew and William. I made a big text file and 2 pics of docs. Will email in 2 mins. Bill

Wow, thanks Bill!! It's great that you found the record for Andrew Bryjak! So he died 10 Mar 1923.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish Gorals - Highlanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Page 4 of 9

Jump to: