PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 232, 233, 234 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2022 11:36 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
Thanks Dave,

That Gilly Map has already come in handy as it explains the term "Hollendry" which I've seen when searching for Walenty's birth record in Burocin.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

A good blurb about Holendry in general can be found in the Słownik geograficzny http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_III/99

Dave
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 295

Post Posted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:34 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dave,

Can you please help me with a few translations please? Some of the words I cannot make out. I appreciate you all your help.

In the record for Anton Brodda's birth, what is the wording under his father's name? Is that an occupation?

In the record for Franziska Brodda's birth, what is the wording in the first section where the baptismal information would be? There is no baptismal date listed. Does this mean she was baptized the same day she was born? Or does it mean she died at birth? I cannot make out the wording.

In the record for Stanislaw Ostrowski's marriage, is that the maiden name of Margaretha Marianna Wozniak?

Thank you so much for your help.
Trish

Stanislaw Ostrowski Marriage #1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.85 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Franciszeka Brodda Birth 1860,.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  100.32 KB

Franciszeka Brodda Birth 1860,.jpg

Anton Brodda Birth 1867, #41,.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.91 KB

Anton Brodda Birth 1867, #41,.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:40 am      Post subject:

Trish wrote:
Hi Dave,

Can you please help me with a few translations please? Some of the words I cannot make out. I appreciate you all your help.

In the record for Anton Brodda's birth, what is the wording under his father's name? Is that an occupation?

In the record for Franziska Brodda's birth, what is the wording in the first section where the baptismal information would be? There is no baptismal date listed. Does this mean she was baptized the same day she was born? Or does it mean she died at birth? I cannot make out the wording.

In the record for Stanislaw Ostrowski's marriage, is that the maiden name of Margaretha Marianna Wozniak?

Trish

Hi Trish,

The 2 Brodda records are in German. If you post them in the German Records thread I’m sure that Michael will help you.

Would you please post the link for the marriage record? The handwriting makes it too difficult for me to read the letters on the image as posted.

Thanks,

Dave
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 2:53 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
Trish wrote:
Hi Dave,

Trish

Hi Trish,

The 2 Brodda records are in German. If you post them in the German Records thread I’m sure that Michael will help you.

Would you please post the link for the marriage record? The handwriting makes it too difficult for me to read the letters on the image as posted.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,
Sorry about the Brodda baptismal records. I thought they were Latin.

Here is the linformation for the Stanislaw Ostrowski Marriage.

Stanislaw Ostrowski married Margaretha Marianna Wozniak on 25 October 1838 in Trezemesno. Family Search Library film #2004406 - Image #844.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSXN-69KT-Y?cat=186258

Was Margaretha Marianna Wozniak married before? Or is this a name of town? Please know that on the birth records of her children, she is listed as Marianna Wozniak.

I hope this is a better copy. Thank you so much for your time.
Trish

Description:
 Filesize:  1.32 MB

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu May 05, 2022 6:10 pm      Post subject:

Trish wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
Trish wrote:
Hi Dave,

Trish

Hi Trish,

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,
Sorry about the Brodda baptismal records. I thought they were Latin.

Here is the linformation for the Stanislaw Ostrowski Marriage.

Stanislaw Ostrowski married Margaretha Marianna Wozniak on 25 October 1838 in Trezemesno. Family Search Library film #2004406 - Image #844.

Was Margaretha Marianna Wozniak married before? Or is this a name of town? Please know that on the birth records of her children, she is listed as Marianna Wozniak.

Trish

Hi Trish,

Thanks for the image of the entire two pages of the record and for the link.

A correction to the info you provided...The date of the wedding was November 25 rather than October 25. The last wedding which took place in October was #13 which took place on October 31. The remaining weddings beginning with #14 all took place in November.

Neither the bride nor the groom had been married previously—Column 7 states that the groom was a bachelor and the bride was a maiden.

I realize that the Poznan Project index gives the age of the bride as 20 but when you compare the age of the bride in entry #11 (20) and the age of the bride in entry #12 (23) with Małgorzata Maria’s age her age looks much closer to the age in entry 12 than it does to the age in entry 11. Thus I would opt for her age being 23.

When I am not sure of a letter or letters in an entry I compare the unknown letters to known letters in other entries on the page. This method did not work for the place of birth of the bride since I found no letter which resembles the initial letter in the place name so her place of birth remains unidentified. Sorry that I can’t help with the identification of her place of birth.

The translation follows.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave

Translation:

Col.1: No = Number (for the year): 19

Col. 2: Copulationis = Of the Marriage
Col. 2a: Mensis = Month: November
Col. 2b: Dies = Day: 25

Col. 3: Locus Nupturientium = Place (of residence) of those about to be wed: Trzemeszno

Col. 4: Nomen Sacerdotis copulantis =Name of the priest joining them together in marriage: J. Manski

Col. 5: Nomen et Cognomen Nupturientium = Given and Surname of those being married: Stanisław Ostrowski with Małgorzata Maria Woźniak, born in illegible place

Col. 6: Aetas = Age
Col. 6a: Sponsi = of the Groom: 24
Col. 6b: Sponsae = of the Bride: 23

Col. 7: Conditio = Status/Condition: ditto = juvenis cum virgine = bachelor with a maiden

Col. 8: Quali cum consensu vel licentia: With what type of consent or permission: For the groom with judicial consent; for the bride permission from (her) father (literally: parent)

Col. 9: Nomen et Cognomen Testium = Given and Surname of the Witnesses: Stanisław Błacheski(?) and Tomasz Patrykowski

Col. 10: Adnotationes = Notations: Blank
TedMack

Replies: 479

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 6:49 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

Can you please translate the attached 2 birth records for the Solarczyk sisters - they were born in Wierzchosław (now Żychlin) near Karsy, Sobotka Parish, Grand Duchy of Posen.

Cheers
Ted

Birth Maryanna Solarczyk 1826 - record2pg1 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.64 KB

Birth Maryanna Solarczyk 1826 - record2pg1 (crop).jpg

Birth Maryanna Solarczyk 1826 - record2pg1 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.13 MB

Birth Maryanna Solarczyk 1826 - record2pg1 (2).jpg

Birth Katarzyna Solarczyk 1825 - record1 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.46 KB

Birth Katarzyna Solarczyk 1825 - record1 (crop).jpg

Birth Katarzyna Solarczyk 1825 - record1 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.19 MB

Birth Katarzyna Solarczyk 1825 - record1 (2).jpg

Trish
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:50 am      Post subject:

Quote:
Here is the information for the Stanislaw Ostrowski Marriage.

Trish

Hi Trish,

Thanks for the image of the entire two pages of the record and for the link.

A correction to the info you provided...The date of the wedding was November 25 rather than October 25. The last wedding which took place in October was #13 which took place on October 31. The remaining weddings beginning with #14 all took place in November.

Neither the bride nor the groom had been married previously—Column 7 states that the groom was a bachelor and the bride was a maiden.

I realize that the Poznan Project index gives the age of the bride as 20 but when you compare the age of the bride in entry #11 (20) and the age of the bride in entry #12 (23) with Małgorzata Maria’s age her age looks much closer to the age in entry 12 than it does to the age in entry 11. Thus I would opt for her age being 23.

When I am not sure of a letter or letters in an entry I compare the unknown letters to known letters in other entries on the page. This method did not work for the place of birth of the bride since I found no letter which resembles the initial letter in the place name so her place of birth remains unidentified. Sorry that I can’t help with the identification of her place of birth.

The translation follows.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave

Translation:
Col.1: No = Number (for the year): 19
Col. 2: Copulationis = Of the Marriage
Col. 2a: Mensis = Month: November
Col. 2b: Dies = Day: 25
Col. 3: Locus Nupturientium = Place (of residence) of those about to be wed: Trzemeszno
Col. 4: Nomen Sacerdotis copulantis =Name of the priest joining them together in marriage: J. Manski
Col. 5: Nomen et Cognomen Nupturientium = Given and Surname of those being married: Stanisław Ostrowski with Małgorzata Maria Woźniak, born in illegible place
Col. 6: Aetas = Age
Col. 6a: Sponsi = of the Groom: 24
Col. 6b: Sponsae = of the Bride: 23
Col. 7: Conditio = Status/Condition: ditto = juvenis cum virgine = bachelor with a maiden
Col. 8: Quali cum consensu vel licentia: With what type of consent or permission: For the groom with judicial consent; for the bride permission from (her) father (literally: parent)

Col. 9: Nomen et Cognomen Testium = Given and Surname of the Witnesses: Stanisław Błacheski(?) and Tomasz Patrykowski
Col. 10: Adnotationes = Notations: Blank

Hi Dave,

Thank you so very much for the translation. Thank you for informing me of the error in the marriage date. It always helps to have another set of eyes looking at your research. Very Happy

I was wondering if the name of the town for Margaretha Wozniak was Janowiec (Janowiec Wielkopolski). This town isn't too far away from Trzemeszno. Just a thought.

I just found a possible birth record for Margaretha Wozniak. The birth is 12 July 1813 in Wybranowo, gmina Janowiec Wielkopolski. Do think this is a possibility?

Thank you again for you help. Have a wonderful day!
Trish

Margaretha Wozniak Birth 1813,.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.06 KB

Margaretha Wozniak Birth 1813,.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 3:35 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Can you please translate the attached 2 birth records for the Solarczyk sisters - they were born in Wierzchosław (now Żychlin) near Karsy, Sobotka Parish, Grand Duchy of Posen.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

Here are the translations of the two short and sweet baptismal records.

Dave

B&B of Maryanna
Left Margin: Wierzchosław The 10th day of September Maryanna Solarczyk
Body of Entry: I, as above, baptized an infant by the name of Maryanna, born on the 8th day of this (month) at 3 in the morning, the daughter of the legitimate marriage of the industrious Szczepan/Stefan Solarczyk and Franciszka born Zielnikowna. The sponsors were Michał Tomalak, a bachelor, and the industrious Franciszka Spolna.

B&B of Katarzyna
Left Margin: The year 1825 begins. Wierzchosław The 6th day of January Katarzyna Solarczyk
Body of Entry: I, as above, baptized an infant by the name of Katarzyna, born on the 5th day of this (month) at the hour of 10 in the morning, the daughter of the legitimate Catholic marital union of the industrious Szczepan/Stefan Solarczyk and Franciszka born Zielnikowna. The sponsors were the industrious Paweł Maciejeski and the industrious Maryanna Antczakowa.

Last edited by dnowicki on Mon May 09, 2022 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri May 06, 2022 3:42 pm      Post subject:

[quote="Trish"]
Quote:

Thank you so very much for the translation. Thank you for informing me of the error in the marriage date. It always helps to have another set of eyes looking at your research. Very Happy

I was wondering if the name of the town for Margaretha Wozniak was Janowiec (Janowiec Wielkopolski). This town isn't too far away from Trzemeszno. Just a thought.

I just found a possible birth record for Margaretha Wozniak. The birth is 12 July 1813 in Wybranowo, gmina Janowiec Wielkopolski. Do think this is a possibility?

Trish

Hi Trish,

It is tough to say. Most of the letters in the place name in the marriage record could fit for Janowice (the parish to which Wybranowo belonged) except that if the first letter is an upper case J it doesn’t resemble the upper case J in known names like Joannes, Julianna, Josephus, and Jacobus on the two pages of the marriage record, but the scribe is not super consistent in the way he forms letters. I suppose the initial letter could be an uppercase I, although there is no known example on the pages. The letter I is a possibility since the Classical Latin alphabet did not distinguish between I as a vowel and I as a consonant (J in our version of the Roman/Latin Alphabet). In 19th Century Latin the letters I and J were sometimes used interchangeably so it is possible that the scribe wrote Janowiec as Ianowiec.

I suppose another bit of circumstantial evidence in support of the birth & baptism record you found would be that Jan Wozniak would have to be alive at the time of the wedding in 1838.

I suppose that at this point the 1813 B&B is a possibility but far from a certainty.

Wishing you luck,

Dave
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2022 10:09 am      Post subject:

[quote="dnowicki"]
Trish wrote:
Quote:

Trish

Hi Trish,

It is tough to say. Most of the letters in the place name in the marriage record could fit for Janowice (the parish to which Wybranowo belonged) except that if the first letter is an upper case J it doesn’t resemble the upper case J in known names like Joannes, Julianna, Josephus, and Jacobus on the two pages of the marriage record, but the scribe is not super consistent in the way he forms letters. I suppose the initial letter could be an uppercase I, although there is no known example on the pages. The letter I is a possibility since the Classical Latin alphabet did not distinguish between I as a vowel and I as a consonant (J in our version of the Roman/Latin Alphabet). In 19th Century Latin the letters I and J were sometimes used interchangeably so it is possible that the scribe wrote Janowiec as Ianowiec.

I suppose another bit of circumstantial evidence in support of the birth & baptism record you found would be that Jan Wozniak would have to be alive at the time of the wedding in 1838.

I suppose that at this point the 1813 B&B is a possibility but far from a certainty.

Wishing you luck,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you again for the translation. Thank you also for the advice and input. I'll keep searching.
Trish
TedMack

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2022 6:51 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

Here are the translations of the two short and sweet baptismal records.

Dave

B&B of Maryanna
Left Margin: Wierzchosław The 10th day of September Maryanna Solarczyk
Body of Entry: I, as above, baptized an infant by the name of Maryanna, born on the 8th day of this (month) at 3 in the morning, the daughter of the legitimate marriage of the industrious Jacenty Solarczyk and Franciszka born Zielnikowna. The sponsors were Michał Tomalak, a bachelor, and the industrious Franciszka Spolna.

B&B of Katarzyna
Left Margin: The year 1825 begins. Wierzchosław The 6th day of January Katarzyna Solarczyk
Body of Entry: I, as above, baptized an infant by the name of Katarzyna, born on the 5th day of this (month) at the hour of 10 in the morning, the daughter of the legitimate Catholic marital union of the industrious Jacenty Solarczyk and Franciszka born Zielnikowna. The sponsors were the industrious Paweł Maciejeski and the industrious Maryanna Antczakowa.

Thanks Dave.

I have the Father as Szczepan not Jacenty - could it be that in these 2 records it is written as Stephani?

Ted
dkocur

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:40 am      Post subject: Baptismal Record Translation

Hope someone can help me determine the places in the top right corner of a baptismal record.

Specifically
Palatinatus:
Districtus:

I believe they may be Lwow, Lviv and Lesko written in latin.

Baptismal Record.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Baptismal Record.pdf
 Filesize:  137.78 KB
 Downloaded:  84 Time(s)

Baptismal Record.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Baptismal Record.pdf
 Filesize:  137.78 KB
 Downloaded:  131 Time(s)

Last edited by dkocur on Fri May 13, 2022 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 1:34 pm      Post subject: Re: Baptismal Record Translation

dkocur wrote:
Hope someone can help me determine the places in the top right corner of a baptismal record.

Specifically
Palatinatus:
Districtus:

I believe they may be Lwow, Lviv and Lesko written in latin.

Hi,

Please post an image of the record.

Dave
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:47 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dave,
This is not a Latin translation question, but I knew that you would find it if I placed it here. I am hoping that your map-finding skills could be brought to bear on a question of mine. My question is, where is the village of Kulanka?
The reason that I ask is that I can see it on an index but I cannot find it on a map, neither a current-day map nor an historical map. Let’s start with the index. If you go to this link:
http://regestry.lubgens.eu/news.php
Use the following search criteria:
For Parafia, Potok Górny
For Nazwisko, Borek
For the range of years, 1870-1890.
In the resulting table of records, you can see in the birth/baptism section that the indexer has included the name of the village as well as the names of the parents. Some of the villages are simple to find, such as Dąbrówka and Lipiny Dolny, but I cannot find Kulanka. What I do see on both old and current maps is Wola Kulońska but I am unsure whether this is the same place.
Are you able to find a map that shows Kulanka, or a reference to it being synonymous with Wola Kulońska?
Thanks!
Sophia
TedMack

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 7:59 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

Can you please provide a translation of the attached 2 records - 1 baptism and 1 death. After searching for some time and then putting it aside for a while I have revisited my search for records for the village of Lubinia Mała circa 1800 and finally located them in Sławoszew Parish.

The Baptism is for my 3xGGF and his 2 marriage records indicate that his parents were alive when he married in the 1830's and living in Lubinia Mała, however, when searching for his parents Marriage and Death records I could only find the attached death record which is only 4 years later and it doesn't appear to provide sufficient information. With any luck the translations may assist further searching.

The birth record is on the second page about half way down, and the death record on the first page near the top.

Cheers

Ted

Birth Józef Paprzycki 1807 - pg 2 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.41 KB

Birth Józef Paprzycki 1807 - pg 2 (crop).jpg

Birth Józef Paprzycki 1807 - pg 2 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.32 MB

Birth Józef Paprzycki 1807 - pg 2 (2).jpg

Death Grzegorz Paprzycki 1810 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  62.35 KB

Death Grzegorz Paprzycki 1810 (crop).jpg

Death Grzegorz Paprzycki 1810 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.16 MB

Death Grzegorz Paprzycki 1810 (2).jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 232, 233, 234 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 233 of 274

Jump to: