PolishOrigins Forum

 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
Message
TFarr



Joined: 16 May 2022
Replies: 4

Back to top
Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:00 pm      Post subject: Paluch, Bochenek, Danielowski
Reply with quote

I am hoping to travel to Poland soon and I am wondering if I have any distant relatives still alive.

My great grandmother is Honorata Bochenek, born 22 Feb 1895 in Ropezyce, Poland

I have a couple other relatives written down, don't have it written down how they are related to me- Francis P. Danielowski, 1872 born in Poland (My Grandmother's maiden name is Danielowski).

Simeon Paluch, Oct 1818 Krakow, Poland

I am also interested in finding information about my Grandmother's (half/step?) siblings? I remember her telling me that she thinks they died in the concentration camps-

Any information is helpful. Thank you.
View user's profile
Send private message
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron


Joined: 27 May 2012
Replies: 928

Back to top
Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:08 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hello,

Welcome to the forum. You may already have this information, but here is a link to the Geneteka database that lists not only Honorata’s birth record, but also her siblings. And, if you select the tab for marriages, you will see the marriage record for her parents.

https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=eng&bdm=B&w=09pk&rid=B&search_lastname=Bochenek&search_name=Antoni&search_lastname2=Baran+&search_name2=Wiktoria&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable=

If you click the “skan” at end of the line, it take you to the record. Most of it is easy to read, but if you need help you can request a translation of the records in the Latin translation forum.

Best,
Cynthia
View user's profile
Send private message
Send e-mail
TFarr



Joined: 16 May 2022
Replies: 4

Back to top
Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:29 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

thank you Cynthia. No. I was not aware of this. I will check it out! Thank you!!! I am interested in this kind of thing, but- my goal right now is to find more recent information. I have played around a bit on ancestry.com but, it doesn't list any info for people who are living.
View user's profile
Send private message
Sophia
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 05 Oct 2014
Replies: 765

Back to top
Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:30 am      Post subject:
Reply with quote

TFarr wrote:
thank you Cynthia. No. I was not aware of this. I will check it out! Thank you!!! I am interested in this kind of thing, but- my goal right now is to find more recent information. I have played around a bit on ancestry.com but, it doesn't list any info for people who are living.


Hi,
Actually, I think Cynthia is getting you started in the right direction. The key to finding living relatives is to have a clear map of your ancestors, so that you can definitively link to living people.
So, how to go about it? Once you have a general diagram, or at least a list of the names of your great-grandmother's siblings and at least some of their birth/marriage/death dates, you can go to sources like Ancestry and FamilySearch and search for those people. Then, see who else is researching them. Both of those websites allow people to post family trees, and you may get lucky and find a second cousin who is also into genealogy.
Another approach is to look at sources like FindAGrave because more and more people are posting images of grave markers. Some cemeteries have their own searchable lists of burials. If you happen to find a burial of someone who is in your tree, and the date of death is within the last decade or so, then you will have a sense that you have living family members in the same vicinity. You can try to contact the cemetery and see if they can put you in touch with whoever owns that grave. Poles are very devoted to their cemeteries!
Also, you may try to make contact through the church. It helps if you have a reasonably rare surname.
I wish you good luck in your search,
Sophia
View user's profile
Send private message
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Replies: 2486
Location: Michigan City, Indiana

Back to top
Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 10:39 am      Post subject: Re: Paluch, Bochenek, Danielowski
Reply with quote

TFarr wrote:
I am hoping to travel to Poland soon and I am wondering if I have any distant relatives still alive.

My great grandmother is Honorata Bochenek, born 22 Feb 1895 in Ropezyce, Poland

I have a couple other relatives written down, don't have it written down how they are related to me- Francis P. Danielowski, 1872 born in Poland (My Grandmother's maiden name is Danielowski).

Simeon Paluch, Oct 1818 Krakow, Poland

I am also interested in finding information about my Grandmother's (half/step?) siblings? I remember her telling me that she thinks they died in the concentration camps-

Any information is helpful. Thank you.


Hi TFarr, Cynthia, & Sophia,

There is a very good site where one can search for those who suffered oppression during WWII (and after) from the Institute of National Remembrance in Poland. One can search the database by surname. Of course for married women the search needs to be by a woman’s married name. Here is the link to the site: https://straty.pl/szukaj-osoby.php Those who can be found on the site, of course, include persons who were imprisoned and/or died in concentration camps. However, the database also includes others such as captured soldiers who were confined to POW camps, those conscripted by the Nazis for forced labor, etc.

Searching online for living individuals whose names are not specifically known is like beginning a garden by picking the most difficult row to hoe due to privacy restrictions. (Sophia, do you like the seasonally appropriate gardening metaphor?) Cynthia & Sophia’s research strategy is, in my opinion, the way to go. Privacy laws in Poland are more strict than those in the USA—e.g. birth records in Poland are private for 100 years whereas in the USA it is generally 75 years.

Wishing you success,

Dave
View user's profile
Send private message
TFarr



Joined: 16 May 2022
Replies: 4

Back to top
Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:38 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Thank you Dave and Sophia. It's all so overwhelming. I thank you for your input.
View user's profile
Send private message
jwaldo11



Joined: 28 Jul 2021
Replies: 26
Location: USA

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:25 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hello TFarr,
If you are looking for living relatives, have you done a DNA test? You mentioned Ancestry.com so perhaps try a DNA test through that site. While waiting for your results you can use the helpful tips here to fill out your tree with accurate information that will help your DNA matches find you. Good luck and enjoy your travels!
Jessica

P.S. Hi Cynthia!! Smile
View user's profile
Send private message
TFarr



Joined: 16 May 2022
Replies: 4

Back to top
Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 5:53 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

jwaldo11 wrote:
Hello TFarr,
If you are looking for living relatives, have you done a DNA test? You mentioned Ancestry.com so perhaps try a DNA test through that site. While waiting for your results you can use the helpful tips here to fill out your tree with accurate information that will help your DNA matches find you. Good luck and enjoy your travels!
Jessica

P.S. Hi Cynthia!! Smile


No, I haven't. Not sure I want to go that far- though it would be sure way to find out Smile
View user's profile
Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB ©

© 2009-2022 COPYRIGHTS BY THE OWNER OF POLISHORIGINS.COM