PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 234, 235, 236 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:37 pm      Post subject: Meaning of document, not full translation

Hi,
I was referred here by the Polish Genealogy group on Facebook. I posted this record there and in the Genealogical Translations group and no one could get a handle on it.
It starts at the bottom of page 830 and continues through page 834. The people discussed, Bogumila Zoltowska and Kazimierz Malanowski, are my 5th great-grandparents. I never had their parents names until finding this document. However, I still don't know what it means. Is it a heredity document? An adoption? The next record seems to refer to adoption.
I am not looking for a full translation, just what kind of a document it is and what it tells me (key information). If I need to hire a professional translator, I am happy to do it but thought I might start here. Hopefully someone will understand what it tells me.
Thank you in advance for any help,
Carolyn

Link to 1st page: http://agadd2.home.net.pl/metrykalia/24/1/sygn.%20206/pages/1_24_0_1_206_0844.htm
Starts 2 lines from bottom of page.

Kazimierz Malanowski Bogumila Zoltowska 830 p1 of 5 1770.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  732.62 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Kazimierz Malanowski Bogumila Zoltowska 830 p1 of 5 1770.jpg

Kazimierz Malanowski Bogumila Zoltowska 831 p2 of 5 1770.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  663.53 KB

Kazimierz Malanowski Bogumila Zoltowska 831 p2 of 5 1770.jpg

Kazimierz Malanowski Bogumila Zoltowska 832 p3 of 5 1770.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  760.92 KB

Kazimierz Malanowski Bogumila Zoltowska 832 p3 of 5 1770.jpg

Kazimierz Malanowski Bogumila Zoltowska 833 p4 of 5 1770.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  687.15 KB

Kazimierz Malanowski Bogumila Zoltowska 833 p4 of 5 1770.jpg

Kazimierz Malanowski Bogumila Zoltowska 834 p5 of 5 1770.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  737.66 KB

Kazimierz Malanowski Bogumila Zoltowska 834 p5 of 5 1770.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:43 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
TedMack wrote:
Hi Ted,

Thanks Dave - interesting, I've just looked at the Baptism records and Grzegorz & Rozalia appear in nearly every third Baptism record for their village as Godparents, I've found a few of their own children but need to do it again as all I could see was there names in so many records. I'll try and make sure I have the records correct before I ask for translations.

Cheers
Ted

G'day Dave

Hope the weather has improved and you've been able to get the seedlings planted. Wish our weather was the same here - been raining all year so far and the ground is too wet to dig over - we have exceeded the annual rainfall by Easter - 1.5 metres of rain so far. Makes for poor gardening and heavy weed growth.

Anyway, I 've found that as Grzegorz was always the groomsman and never the groom that the same can not be said for Baptisms - Grzegorz was Godfather to no less than 28 & Rozalia no less than 21. They were also very productive in their own right with at least 12 children (from 1785 to 1807) and possibly a 13th for Grzegorz with a later wife(?).

I'll send through the first 3 children that I've found for translation please when you have time. I'll only send the cropped records as they are usually short 2 or 3 lines.

Cheers

Ted

Hi Ted,

The weather is not really better. It rains just about every second day. Our topsoil is sandy loam so it is workable the day following rain. Much of Michigan City is situated on ancient dunes from previous levels of Lake Michigan when the ancient lake was larger so the subsoil is basically beach sand and drains very well. The downside is that the soil requires regular irrigation during dry spells. (There is a layer of clay about 12 meters below the surface.) The parts of Mich. City with poorly draining soil are the parts which once were interdunal ponds & wetlands. This wet spring has produced a bumper crop of weeds. My problem with the rain is that I don’t want to be in the garden when it is raining. The other difficulty is that the garden is too large. One reason for the large size is that besides growing vegetables for us I grow super hot peppers (Trinidad Scorpion, Carolina Reaper, Ghost, and Habaneros—about 50 plants) which I trade with a local butcher for meat. He uses them for some of the sausages he makes, such as venison sausages. He makes good kielbasa for which he does not use hot peppers and which I get in return for the peppers.

Gardening will take up considerable time for the foreseeable future even after all the seeds and seedlings have been planted.

Anyway, enough of that. On to the B&B records…

Dave

1789 Katarzyna:

Lubinia Mała: In the year 1789 on the 15th day of November I, Jan Nepomucyn Przybylski, pastor of Sławoszew, baptized an infant by the name of Katarzyna, (daughter) of the legitimate marital union of Grzegorz Paprzyca, a miller, and Rozalia, his consort. The sponsors were Jan Paprzyca and Anna Waletoska, all from Mała Lubinia.

1786 Zuzanna

Lubinia Mała: In the year as above on the 10th (or 20th—I’m not sure of how the numeral is written) day of August, I, Józef Krzcziwski(?), curate of Sławoszew, baptized an infant by the name of Zuzanna (born) of the legitimate marital union of the father Grzegorz and of Rozalia Młszierzow*. Those lifting her up from the Holy Font** were Jan Paprzyczak from Lubinia Mała and Agnieszka Malunska from Jella Kostliro(?).

Notes: *Not so much a surname as an occupation—“millers”
**a circumlocution for sponsors aka godparents

1785 Jan (listed by you as Jerasz)

Lubinia Mała: In the year as above on the 28th day of August I, the curate of Sławoszew, baptized (lit. washed in (waters) of regeneration/rebirth*) an infant by the name of Jan** of (illegible) (born) of the legitimate marital union of the father Grzegorz and of Rozalia (spouses) Paprzycki. The sponsors were Kazimierz Baranski and Maryanna Paprzyczyna.

*The water of Baptism sometimes was called the water of regeneration/rebirth. An individual who had been baptized was said to have been born and then reborn in baptism.

**The name of the child is Jan (Joannes). The priest had a strange way of writing the lower case letter “n” but if you look at the two words preceding the name, infantem and nomine the way he writes a lower case “n”is the same as the lower case n (repeated) in Joannes. I cannot read the word following “de” but it is giving the name of his patron saint and thus indicates the child’s name day.
TedMack

Replies: 479

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:52 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

Thanks for those translations. Luckily you are able to decipher some of these unique writing styles.

Attached is the next lot of Paprzycki children for translation when you have time.

Cheers

Ted

Death Walenty Paprzycki 1809 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.03 KB

Death Walenty Paprzycki 1809 (crop).jpg

Birth Walenty Paprzycki 1795 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.28 KB

Birth Walenty Paprzycki 1795 (crop).jpg

Birth Faustinum Paprzycki 1794 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.65 KB

Birth Faustinum Paprzycki 1794 (crop).jpg

Birth Francis Paprzycki 1792 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.01 KB

Birth Francis Paprzycki 1792 (crop).jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 6:00 am      Post subject: Re: Meaning of document, not full translation

challinan wrote:
Hi,
I was referred here by the Polish Genealogy group on Facebook. I posted this record there and in the Genealogical Translations group and no one could get a handle on it.
It starts at the bottom of page 830 and continues through page 834. The people discussed, Bogumila Zoltowska and Kazimierz Malanowski, are my 5th great-grandparents. I never had their parents names until finding this document. However, I still don't know what it means. Is it a heredity document? An adoption? The next record seems to refer to adoption.
I am not looking for a full translation, just what kind of a document it is and what it tells me (key information). If I need to hire a professional translator, I am happy to do it but thought I might start here. Hopefully someone will understand what it tells me.
Carolyn

Link to 1st page: http://agadd2.home.net.pl/metrykalia/24/1/sygn.%20206/pages/1_24_0_1_206_0844.htm

Carolyn,

The document is not at all difficult to understand. A cursory reading shows that pages 1, 2, 3, and approximately ½ of page 4 are in Latin. The remainder of page 4 and most of page 5 are in Polish. To use contemporary terminology the document is basically a probate record. The Act was composed in the court in Płock and was dated on the 4th day after the Feast of St. Luke the Evangelist (24 October 1770). The doc identifies Bogumiła and Kazimierz in terms of their parents. You stated that you learned the names of their parents from the doc so there is no need to repeat that info. The doc speaks of a bequest of money specified by Walenty before his death, i.e. made on 28 June, 1765. (In the Polish section Michał Czarnecki attests to this bequest.) Bogumiła, as daughter of Walenty, and Kazimierz, as her husband, acknowledge their obligation as heirs to honor and to fulfill the bequest made by her father and will fulfill the obligation from the goods they inherited.

It is somewhat interesting that the financial bequest is described in terms of Polish Florins. During the final decades of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (Rzeczpostpolita Obojga Narodów) a reform of coinage took place intended to strengthen Polish coinage. The use of Polish Florins was one part of the attempt to strengthen the coinage of the realm.

I presume that you know that during the 18th Century prior to the Partitions your ancestors lived in the District (powiat) of Lipno in the województwo of Inowrocław. The doc describes the location in terms of one of the ancient ethnographic regions of Poland, Ziemia Dobrzyńska (Dobrzyń Land). The attached maps show the ethnographic regions of Poland in general and those of Kujawy, Dobrzyn, and Pałuki, etc. in particular. These regions are part of what has been described as “the cradle of the Polish State”.

To satisfy my curiosity...I have not and do not do the Facebook thing so how is it that Facebookers suggested that you post the doc here?

I hope the summary of the doc provides what you wanted to know.

Dave

regiony 2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.17 KB

regiony 2.png

Ethnic Regions.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.02 KB

Ethnic Regions.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 6:06 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Thanks for those translations. Luckily you are able to decipher some of these unique writing styles.

Attached is the next lot of Paprzycki children for translation when you have time.

Cheers

Ted

Hi Ted,

Some comments on the record of the child you identify as Faustinum...His given name in Latin is Faustinus (English: Faustin; Polish: Faustyn). It appears in the record with the “um” ending because it is the direct object of the transitive verb “baptizavi/I baptized”. Latin shows how a noun is being used in a sentence by the case ending. The cases which appear in baptismal records are the Nominative (Subject), the Genitive (possession), and the Accusative (direct object). Nouns which use the same sets of ending are grouped together in what is known as a Declension. Latin has 5 Declensions but given names only are found in the First, the Second, or the Third Declension. If we were to play with the sentence a bit to show the 3 cases we could have a sentence like “Ego, Faustinus Kowalski, baptizavi Faustinum filium Faustini Paprzycki”/”I, Faustyn Kowalski, baptized Faustyn, the son of Faustyn Paprzycki.” Faustinus is the Nominative, Faustinum is the Accusative, and Faustini is the Genitive.

The child was given two names (a first and a middle name)—Faustyn and Jowita—names which certainly are far removed the top ten most popular male names in 18th Century Poland. Sometimes when parents had not decided on a name for their child they asked for suggestions from the priest. My guess is that is what happened to this child and the priest decided on Faustyn and Jowita based on the proximity of the Feast Day of those two saints—a stroke of bad luck for the baby.

The name of the female sponsor is not a misspelling of Maryanna (spelling prior to the 20th Cent. Polish spelling reform) or Marianna (Contemporary Polish spelling). It is a distinct name, the female version of the male name Martin/Marcin, which is spelled Marcyanna (19th Cent. Spelling) Marcianna (Contemporary spelling)

Here follow the translations.

Dave

Death Walenty: Right Margin: Lubinia Mała
Body of Entry: In the same year on the 10th day of March an adolescent by the name of Walenty Paprzycki, about 15 years of age, the son of the upright Grzegorz Paprzycki, a miller, died after having been disposed (for death) and fortified by all the sacraments* and was buried in the cemetery towards the East.

Note: *all the sacraments, i.e. Confession, Communion and Extreme Unction, together commonly known as the Last Rites.

B & B Walenty: RightMargin: Młyn Radowski (Mill Radowski)
Body of Entry: In this same (year) on the 20th of the same (month) I, who is above, baptized an infant by the name of Walenty (born) of the legitimate marital union of the upright Grzegorz Paprzyca, a miller, and Rozalia his consort. The sponsors were the upright Roch Litecki from Mała Lubinia and Marcyanna (19th Cent. Spelling) Marcianna (Contemporary spelling) Malanowska, a maiden, the daughter of the inkeeper of Kotlin.

B&B Faustyn Jowita: Top: Sławaszew
Body of Entry: In the year 1794 on the 17th day of February I, who is above, baptized an infant with two names, Faustyn and Jowita*, (born) of the legitimate marital union of the upright Grzegorz Paprzycki and his consort Rozalia. The sponsors were the upright Marcin Blasczyk, a brewer from Kotlino and the upright Marcyanna (19th Cent. spelling) Marcianna (Contemporary spelling) Malanowska, a maiden also from Kotlino.

Note: *According to tradition, Faustyn (English: Faustin) and Jowita (English: Jovita) were two brothers who were martyred in 120 AD. Their Feast Day is February 15.

B&B Franciszek: Right Margin: Mała Lubinia
Body of Entry: In the year 1792 on the 16th day opf April I, who is above, baptized an infant by the name of Franciszek de Paola, (born) of the legitimate marital unionn of Grzegorz Paprzyca, a miller, and of Rozalia his consort. The sponsors were Łukasz Prze???? drom Lubinia Wielka and Zofia Ovilionissa* from the village of Podlesie.

Note: *Ovilionissa is not a surname. The noun can mean either a shepherdess or the wife of a shepherd.
TedMack

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 7:53 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

Thanks for the translations - some interesting stuff and I agree about poor Faustyn. I also found it interesting that one location is listed as Młyn Radowski, I presume that would be the name of the Mill owner and located within Lubinia Mała rather than a separate village in it's own right.

Attached is the balance of the Baptism records for translation when you have time please. I presume that Rozalia died sometime after 1807 when Jozef was born (you have provided this translation earlier) and Grzegorz remarried and had the next Antoni in 1816 as the previous Antoni died in 1810.

I can't locate any other Deaths in this Parish or marriages (except for the 2 youngest daughters) so I presume that Grzegorz lived with them in later life up until his death - something else to search for.

Cheers

Ted

Birth Antoni Paprzycki 1816 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.02 KB

Birth Antoni Paprzycki 1816 (crop).jpg

Birth Antoni Paprzycki 1804 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.78 KB

Birth Antoni Paprzycki 1804 (crop).jpg

Birth Wojciech Paprzycki 1801 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  72.48 KB

Birth Wojciech Paprzycki 1801 (crop).jpg

Birth Simon Paprzycki 1799 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.5 KB

Birth Simon Paprzycki 1799 (crop).jpg

Birth Maryanna Paprzycki 1797 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.55 KB

Birth Maryanna Paprzycki 1797 (crop).jpg

challinan

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2022 8:55 am      Post subject: Re: Meaning of document, not full translation

dnowicki wrote:
challinan wrote:
Hi,
Carolyn

Carolyn,

The document is not at all difficult to understand. A cursory reading shows that pages 1, 2, 3, and approximately ½ of page 4 are in Latin. The remainder of page 4 and most of page 5 are in Polish. To use contemporary terminology the document is basically a probate record. The Act was composed in the court in Płock and was dated on the 4th day after the Feast of St. Luke the Evangelist (24 October 1770). The doc identifies Bogumiła and Kazimierz in terms of their parents. You stated that you learned the names of their parents from the doc so there is no need to repeat that info. The doc speaks of a bequest of money specified by Walenty before his death, i.e. made on 28 June, 1765. (In the Polish section Michał Czarnecki attests to this bequest.) Bogumiła, as daughter of Walenty, and Kazimierz, as her husband, acknowledge their obligation as heirs to honor and to fulfill the bequest made by her father and will fulfill the obligation from the goods they inherited.

It is somewhat interesting that the financial bequest is described in terms of Polish Florins. During the final decades of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (Rzeczpostpolita Obojga Narodów) a reform of coinage took place intended to strengthen Polish coinage. The use of Polish Florins was one part of the attempt to strengthen the coinage of the realm.

I presume that you know that during the 18th Century prior to the Partitions your ancestors lived in the District (powiat) of Lipno in the województwo of Inowrocław. The doc describes the location in terms of one of the ancient ethnographic regions of Poland, Ziemia Dobrzyńska (Dobrzyń Land). The attached maps show the ethnographic regions of Poland in general and those of Kujawy, Dobrzyn, and Pałuki, etc. in particular. These regions are part of what has been described as “the cradle of the Polish State”.

To satisfy my curiosity...I have not and do not do the Facebook thing so how is it that Facebookers suggested that you post the doc here?

I hope the summary of the doc provides what you wanted to know.

Dave

Wow, Dave, this is wonderful! Yes, it definitely provides what I wanted to know. I will send the docs to a professional translator/genealogist in Poland for more specifics. Thank you very much.

FYI - Walenty lived in Zabiki, Kurowo parish in Mazowieckie. I have his birth & marriage records there but I thought he died in 1802. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is probate, it indicates he died in 1770? I've looked at the parish records and there are few deaths in 1770 recorded. Walenty must have been wealthy! Does this indicate how much land or money he had?? Also, your maps are excellent. I had not seen those before.

One of the administrators in the Genealogical Translations FB group told me you do terrific translations and gave me a link. I didn't know about this part of the website, so it was a great referral!

Again, thank you so very much!
Carolyn
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:31 pm      Post subject: Re: Meaning of document, not full translation

challinan wrote:

Wow, Dave, this is wonderful! Yes, it definitely provides what I wanted to know. I will send the docs to a professional translator/genealogist in Poland for more specifics. Thank you very much.

FYI - Walenty lived in Zabiki, Kurowo parish in Mazowieckie. I have his birth & marriage records there but I thought he died in 1802. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is probate, it indicates he died in 1770? I've looked at the parish records and there are few deaths in 1770 recorded. Walenty must have been wealthy! Does this indicate how much land or money he had?? Also, your maps are excellent. I had not seen those before.

One of the administrators in the Genealogical Translations FB group told me you do terrific translations and gave me a link. I didn't know about this part of the website, so it was a great referral!

Again, thank you so very much!
Carolyn

Carolyn,

When I compared the doc to probate I was not referring to it as the probate of a will. Various types of docs other than wills can be and are probated. Some examples are revocable trusts, tax returns, deeds, etc.

The doc makes it clear that both Walenty and his wife were alive in 1770 when the bequest was probated. The individuals who were deceased were the father of Walenty, the father of Anna and the parents of Kazimierz. When a doc gives the name of a person with the phrase “Olim filius…” or “Olim filia…” (Once the son...Once the daughter) the meaning is that the person’s parent is deceased. English words like probate, probation, probe, etc. all come from the Latin First Conjugation verb probo, which means to try, test, examine, examine, find out, etc. This is the sense in which I referred to the doc in terms of probate.

Yes, it is very possible that Walenty died in 1802 since the doc shows that he was alive in 1770. Here is the link to the 1802 death record https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSL5-1DQ2?i=437&cat=434894 If the info in this record squares with other docs you have then he is your man.

As far as how wealthy Walenty was...I don’t know. The financial bequest was sizable and the title under which he was recorded was “Generosus” (English: well-born; Polish: urodzony) a term which during the days of the Commonwealth indicated a member of the szlachta who was the owner of at least one village. One village is the minimum but on the other end no maximum is specified. So from this doc no certain conclusion can be drawn regarding the amount of his wealth. In the 1802 death record Walenty is titled as “nobilis”which was like an entry level member of the gentry since it was used for someone who was either the owner or leaseholder of a parcel of land.

Sorry for the confusion regarding the use of the term probate.

Good luck in your quest.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:35 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Thanks for the translations - some interesting stuff and I agree about poor Faustyn. I also found it interesting that one location is listed as Młyn Radowski, I presume that would be the name of the Mill owner and located within Lubinia Mała rather than a separate village in it's own right.

Attached is the balance of the Baptism records for translation when you have time please. I presume that Rozalia died sometime after 1807 when Jozef was born (you have provided this translation earlier) and Grzegorz remarried and had the next Antoni in 1816 as the previous Antoni died in 1810.

I can't locate any other Deaths in this Parish or marriages (except for the 2 youngest daughters) so I presume that Grzegorz lived with them in later life up until his death - something else to search for.

Cheers

Ted

Hi Ted,

The mill name does indicate the owner of the mill, which may have been in the village or just outside the village depending on where the source of water to operate the mill was located.

The alleged 1816 Antoni is actually a girl named Antonina.

Here follows the final installment of translations.

Dave

1816 B&B of Antonina (who is a girl, not a boy)
Left Margin: Lubinia Mała
Body of Entry: On the 17th day of June Rev. Tomasz Baranowski, curate in Twardowo, baptized an infant from Lubinia Mała, Antonina, born on the 12th day of the same month, the daughter of the legitimate marital union of the industrious Grzegorz and Zofia Paprzycki, millers. The sponsors were the industrious Walenty Piasczynski, an innkeeper, and Łucia Koscielanka from Rusinow.

1804 B&B of Antoni
Right Margin: Lubinia Mała
Body of entry: In the same year on the 5th day of June I, who is above, baptized an infant by the name of Antoni, born at 2 in the night of the legitimate marital union of the industrious Grzegorz, a miller, and of Rozalia, his consort. The sponsors were illegible Falkiewicz, a blacksmith, and Katarzyna Załowska from Lubinia Wielka.

1801 B&B Wojciech
Body of entry: In the same year on the 28th day of April I, who is above, baptized an infant by the name of Wojciech, born on the 26th at Noon of the legitimate marital union of the industrious Grzegorz Paprzyca, a miller, and of Rozalia, his consort. The sponsors were the upright Maciej Kantorski, a brewer in Lubinia Mała, and the upright Marcyanna Szafranska, wife of the cook from the village of Wola.

1799 B&B Szymon
Body of entry: In the same year on the 27th day of October I, who is above, baptized an infant by the name of Szymon, born on the 26th in the afternoon of the legitimate marital union of the industrious Grzegorz Paprzyca, a miller, and of Rozalia, his consort. The sponsors were the upright Szymon Fabanski from Wola and Teresa Gorzalana from Lubinia Mała.

1797 B&B Maryanna
Body of Entry: In the same year on the same day I, who is above, baptized an infant by the name of Maryanna, born on the 14th of the current (month) before noon of the legitimate marital union of the industrious Grzegorz Paprzyca, a miller, and of Rozalia. The sponsors were the well born* Wojciech
Tarantowski and the upright Helena, wife of the blacksmith from the village of Brzyzie.

Note: Generosus/well-born: the title described a member of the szlachta who was the owner of at least one village.
TedMack

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:36 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

[quote="dnowicki"]
TedMack wrote:

Hi Ted,

The mill name does indicate the owner of the mill, which may have been in the village or just outside the village depending on where the source of water to operate the mill was located.

The alleged 1816 Antoni is actually a girl named Antonina.

Here follows the final installment of translations.

Dave

G'day Dave

Thanks for the prompt reply.

There is a creek (is that what we call them in Poland?) that runs 50 meters parallel to the main township, but looking at Google maps the mill was probably on an offshoot of the creek which had been dammed about 200m out of the village.

Again it looks like Rozalia died between 1807 and 1815 and again there is no record of her death or of Grzegorz marriage to Sophia - probably in neighbouring parish. I presume that as Rozalia would have been approaching 50 at the time of her death she may have been looked after by her married daughter, so on that basis the last of the records I can find in this parish are the 2 marriage records for the daughters. Hopefully they may give a clue as to where to look next otherwise it will be a record chase for another day and I'll move on to the next branch.

I've attached the 2 marriage records - if you can translate at your leisure that would be great.

Cheers

Ted

Marriage Zuzanna Paprzycki 1805 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.88 KB

Marriage Zuzanna Paprzycki 1805 (crop).jpg

Marriage Katarzyna Paprzycki 1810 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  133.52 KB

Marriage Katarzyna Paprzycki 1810 (crop).jpg

Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 295

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:29 pm      Post subject: Latin Marriage Translation

Hi Dave,
Can you please help me with the following records?

Helena Gaczkowska died September 28, 1826 in Barcin. She was married to Ignacy Golubski. Am I spelling her surname correctly? Can you please tell me what it states under her father's name?

Their marriage record is from Rogozno. Ignacy Golubski and Helena Gaczkowska were married on October 27, 1792. I have seen Golubski spelled that way in other records (such as p for b). I do know she was married before as well as she was older than Ignacy. I cannot make out the surname for Helena. Can you figure it out?

Thank you so much for your time and help.
Trish

Helena Gaczkowska Death 1826, #115.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.78 KB

Helena Gaczkowska Death 1826, #115.jpg

Ignacy Golubski Marriage October 27 1792 in Rogozno.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  118 KB

Ignacy Golubski Marriage October 27 1792 in Rogozno.jpg

challinan

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:30 pm      Post subject: Full translation?

Hello again Dave,
I have emailed 2 sources and they have both sent me back to you! Would you be willing to do a full (not certified) translation of the document? I am happy to hire you based on the wonderful referrals! Please let me know!
Best,
Carolyn

Last edited by challinan on Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:29 pm      Post subject: Re: Full translation?

challinan wrote:
Hello again Dave,
I have emailed 2 sources and they have both sent me back to you! Would you be willing to do a full (not certified) translation of the document? I am happy to hire you based on the wonderful referrals! My email for genealogy is [email protected]. Please let me know!
Best,
Carolyn

Carolyn,

I replied via a private message. My brief response—I’m not for hire.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:58 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack"[quote="TedMack wrote:

G'day Dave

Thanks for the prompt reply.

There is a creek (is that what we call them in Poland?) that runs 50 meters parallel to the main township, but looking at Google maps the mill was probably on an offshoot of the creek which had been dammed about 200m out of the village.

Again it looks like Rozalia died between 1807 and 1815 and again there is no record of her death or of Grzegorz marriage to Sophia - probably in neighbouring parish. I presume that as Rozalia would have been approaching 50 at the time of her death she may have been looked after by her married daughter, so on that basis the last of the records I can find in this parish are the 2 marriage records for the daughters. Hopefully they may give a clue as to where to look next otherwise it will be a record chase for another day and I'll move on to the next branch.

I've attached the 2 marriage records - if you can translate at your leisure that would be great.

Cheers

Ted

Hi Ted,

Here are the two marriage translations. As you can see, the records are heavy on the legalities expressed in stock form, but light on genealogical details.

Two terms for a creek in Polish are odnoga rzeki and zatoczka. Is it possible that in the days of water powered mills it could have been what in English is known as a mill race? Perhaps it would be worth while to look at David Gilly’s 1803 map of South Prussia since it shows many topographical features of the region https://www.sggee.org/research/gilly_maps/south_prussia_map.html

Here follow the translations.

Dave

Zuzanna

Body of Entry: In the same year on the 18th day of November I, who is above, blessed the marriage contracted between the upright Benedykt Falkiewicz, a blacksmith, a bachelor from the village of Biskupce, and Zuzanna Paprzycka, a maiden, in the presence of the Congregation after all the three banns had been proclaimed on three consecutive Sundays in the presence of the people gathered for the Divine Rites* and since no Canonical impediment stood in the way. The witnesses were the upright Jan Komorkiewicz, a blacksmith from Marszewo, the upright Łukasz Zakoski from Wielka Lubinia, the upright Mateusz Kantorski from Lubinia Mała, and others in addition, worthy of trust, gathered together for it (i.e. the wedding).

Note: *ad Divina/for the Divine Rites: i.e. for Sunday Mass

Katarzyna

Body of Entry: In the same year on the 25th day of November I, who is above, blessed the marriage contracted between the upright Felicjan Zybura, a bachelor, a miller from Pieruszyce, and the upright Katarzyna Paprzycka, a maiden, from Lubinia Mała, in the presence of the Congregation after all the three banns had been proclaimed on three consecutive Sundays in the presence of the people gathered for the Divine Rites* and since no Canonical impediment stood in the way. The witnesses were the upright Benedykt Falkiewicz, a blacksmith from Sławowzewo, Pan Antoni Charopentier from Lubinia Mała, the buprightn Józef Błażeiewicz, a blacksmith from Strzydzewo, and others in addition, worthy of trust, gathered together for it (i.e. the wedding).

Note: *ad Divina/for the Divine Rites: i.e. for Sunday Mass
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:02 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Marriage Translation

Trish wrote:
Hi Dave,
Can you please help me with the following records?

Helena Gaczkowska died September 28, 1826 in Barcin. She was married to Ignacy Golubski. Am I spelling her surname correctly? Can you please tell me what it states under her father's name?

Their marriage record is from Rogozno. Ignacy Golubski and Helena Gaczkowska were married on October 27, 1792. I have seen Golubski spelled that way in other records (such as p for b). I do know she was married before as well as she was older than Ignacy. I cannot make out the surname for Helena. Can you figure it out?

Thank you so much for your time and help.
Trish

Hi Trish,

You are spelling her maiden name (and the name of her father) correctly as it was entered in the record. Under her father’s name the entry reads: “Status civilis Plaustrarius” which is translated as “Civil status/occupation wheelwright/Cartwright”—just probably not the Cartwrights of Bonanza fame. Too bad since Ben, Adam, Hoss, and Little Joe are all deceased. Otherwise you might consider putting in a claim for the ranch. In today’s hot real estate market the Ponderosa should bring really big bucks. (Ha, Ha). Also, the funeral & burial took place on 1 October in the cemetery outside Barcin.

Helena’s surname from her first marriage is entered as Musiałowiczowa. The suffix -owa was used for married women and means “wife of...”. A single daughter would use the suffix -owna, which means “daughter of...”. Her husband’s surname was Musiałowicz.

I hope this answers your questions.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 234, 235, 236 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 235 of 274

Jump to: