PolishOrigins Forum

 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
German records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65
Author
Message
Kmichael8



Joined: 28 Dec 2016
Replies: 375

Back to top
Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:58 am      Post subject: Re: German Translation help please!
Reply with quote

Trish wrote:
Hi,
Can someone please translate the these two death documents for me?

Barbara Beyer Brodda was married to Jacob Brodda. I know they had 12 children.

What does Barrbara Beyer Brodda's death record state? Does her document state she was a widow? Does the document state 9 surviving children in the last column?

What does Jacob Brodda's death record state? I am hoping this is the death record of Jacob Brodda, the spouse of Barbara Beyer. It is the only death record I found for a Jacob Brodda.

Thank you so much for your help and your time. Have a wonderful day!
Trish


Hi Trish,

Barbara Beyer Brodda was the widow of a retired farmer [“Altsitzerfrau”] and died with 67 years of old age [“Altersschwäche”] on July 19 [the year is not provided]. She was survived by 9 children of age [“9 majorenne Kinder”].

Jacob Brodda was a retired farmer [“Altsitzer”] who died with 64 years of consumption [“Schwindsucht”] on August 17 and was buried on August 20 [the year is not provided]. He was survived by his wife and 9 children, 2 sons under age, 2 sons of age, and 5 daughters of age.

There were several places called “Peterswalde” but I would assume it was a place in Prussia. Hence being “of age” meant being 21 years or older since 1870 and being 24 years or older before 1870.

Hope that helps,
Michael
View user's profile
Send private message
Trish



Joined: 23 Sep 2020
Replies: 47

Back to top
Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:07 pm      Post subject: Re: German Translation help please!
Reply with quote

Kmichael8 wrote:
Trish wrote:
Hi,
Can someone please translate the these two death documents for me?
Barbara Beyer Brodda was married to Jacob Brodda. I know they had 12 children.
What does Barrbara Beyer Brodda's death record state? Does her document state she was a widow? Does the document state 9 surviving children in the last column?
What does Jacob Brodda's death record state? I am hoping this is the death record of Jacob Brodda, the spouse of Barbara Beyer. It is the only death record I found for a Jacob Brodda.
Thank you so much for your help and your time. Have a wonderful day!
Trish


Hi Trish,

Barbara Beyer Brodda was the widow of a retired farmer [“Altsitzerfrau”] and died with 67 years of old age [“Altersschwäche”] on July 19 [the year is not provided]. She was survived by 9 children of age [“9 majorenne Kinder”].

Jacob Brodda was a retired farmer [“Altsitzer”] who died with 64 years of consumption [“Schwindsucht”] on August 17 and was buried on August 20 [the year is not provided]. He was survived by his wife and 9 children, 2 sons under age, 2 sons of age, and 5 daughters of age.

There were several places called “Peterswalde” but I would assume it was a place in Prussia. Hence being “of age” meant being 21 years or older since 1870 and being 24 years or older before 1870.

Hope that helps,
Michael


Hi Michael,
Thank you so much for the translation. Your help and kindness is much appreciated.

The town of Peterswalde was in Kreis Schlochau, West Prussia. The records come from Pelstin, Kreis Stuhm, West Prussia.

Jacob Brodda died in 1851. Barbara Beyer Brodda died in 1861. I have all 5 daughters listed. Out of the 7 sons, I know that one son died in 1818. My g.g.g.father is still alive in 1868 for he was married and having children. I have to find death records for 2 sons who died before 1851.

Question:
On a Baptismal record would there be a notation that a child died besides just marking it with a cross?

I am attaching another record for a Michael Brodda. Michael Brodda was born 25 September 1821. He was Baptized on 2 October 1821. His parents are Jacob Brodda and Barbara Beyer. It shows Michael as the 26 male being born. However, it shows (unknown word 40) whereas he should have been the 57th child born. The child above him is #56, and the child below him is #57 whereas Michael has this unknown word and the #40. Does this mean Michael died? I hope I explained this correctly.

Thanks again for all your help.
Trish



Michael Brodda Birth 1821.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  280.72 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Michael Brodda Birth 1821.jpg


View user's profile
Send private message
Kmichael8



Joined: 28 Dec 2016
Replies: 375

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:48 am      Post subject: Re: German Translation help please!
Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi Michael,
Thank you so much for the translation. Your help and kindness is much appreciated.

The town of Peterswalde was in Kreis Schlochau, West Prussia. The records come from Pelstin, Kreis Stuhm, West Prussia.

Jacob Brodda died in 1851. Barbara Beyer Brodda died in 1861. I have all 5 daughters listed. Out of the 7 sons, I know that one son died in 1818. My g.g.g.father is still alive in 1868 for he was married and having children. I have to find death records for 2 sons who died before 1851.

Question:
On a Baptismal record would there be a notation that a child died besides just marking it with a cross?

I am attaching another record for a Michael Brodda. Michael Brodda was born 25 September 1821. He was Baptized on 2 October 1821. His parents are Jacob Brodda and Barbara Beyer. It shows Michael as the 26 male being born. However, it shows (unknown word 40) whereas he should have been the 57th child born. The child above him is #56, and the child below him is #57 whereas Michael has this unknown word and the #40. Does this mean Michael died? I hope I explained this correctly.

Thanks again for all your help.
Trish


Hi Trish,

Regarding the cross on a Baptismal record: Well, it depends. Sometimes you will find a complete reference including the date of the death. Sometimes you will find just a cross – often meaning a child died early, in some cases just meaning someone died, regardless of his or her age. Sometimes you will find no reference at all. Hence it might be best to check the death records directly.

Regarding the record for Michael Brodda: Although I’m not sure what this counting intended to show, I’m quite sure it does not mean Michael died. I wonder whether it’s related to the remark below “Pietrzwald” indicating he was from another parish.

Best
Michael
View user's profile
Send private message
Trish



Joined: 23 Sep 2020
Replies: 47

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 10:42 am      Post subject: Re: German Translation help please!
Reply with quote

Kmichael8 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Michael,
Thank you so much for the translation. Your help and kindness is much appreciated.

The town of Peterswalde was in Kreis Schlochau, West Prussia. The records come from Pelstin, Kreis Stuhm, West Prussia.

Jacob Brodda died in 1851. Barbara Beyer Brodda died in 1861. I have all 5 daughters listed. Out of the 7 sons, I know that one son died in 1818. My g.g.g.father is still alive in 1868 for he was married and having children. I have to find death records for 2 sons who died before 1851.

Question:
On a Baptismal record would there be a notation that a child died besides just marking it with a cross?

I am attaching another record for a Michael Brodda. Michael Brodda was born 25 September 1821. He was Baptized on 2 October 1821. His parents are Jacob Brodda and Barbara Beyer. It shows Michael as the 26 male being born. However, it shows (unknown word 40) whereas he should have been the 57th child born. The child above him is #56, and the child below him is #57 whereas Michael has this unknown word and the #40. Does this mean Michael died? I hope I explained this correctly.

Thanks again for all your help.
Trish


Hi Trish,

Regarding the cross on a Baptismal record: Well, it depends. Sometimes you will find a complete reference including the date of the death. Sometimes you will find just a cross – often meaning a child died early, in some cases just meaning someone died, regardless of his or her age. Sometimes you will find no reference at all. Hence it might be best to check the death records directly.

Regarding the record for Michael Brodda: Although I’m not sure what this counting intended to show, I’m quite sure it does not mean Michael died. I wonder whether it’s related to the remark below “Pietrzwald” indicating he was from another parish.

Best
Michael


Hi Michael,
Thank you again for all your help.
Trish
View user's profile
Send private message
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Replies: 2486
Location: Michigan City, Indiana

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 12:58 pm      Post subject: Re: German Translation help please!
Reply with quote

Trish wrote:
Kmichael8 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Michael,
Thank you so much for the translation. Your help and kindness is much appreciated.

The town of Peterswalde was in Kreis Schlochau, West Prussia. The records come from Pelstin, Kreis Stuhm, West Prussia.

Jacob Brodda died in 1851. Barbara Beyer Brodda died in 1861. I have all 5 daughters listed. Out of the 7 sons, I know that one son died in 1818. My g.g.g.father is still alive in 1868 for he was married and having children. I have to find death records for 2 sons who died before 1851.

Question:
On a Baptismal record would there be a notation that a child died besides just marking it with a cross?

I am attaching another record for a Michael Brodda. Michael Brodda was born 25 September 1821. He was Baptized on 2 October 1821. His parents are Jacob Brodda and Barbara Beyer. It shows Michael as the 26 male being born. However, it shows (unknown word 40) whereas he should have been the 57th child born. The child above him is #56, and the child below him is #57 whereas Michael has this unknown word and the #40. Does this mean Michael died? I hope I explained this correctly.

Thanks again for all your help.
Trish


Hi Trish,

Regarding the cross on a Baptismal record: Well, it depends. Sometimes you will find a complete reference including the date of the death. Sometimes you will find just a cross – often meaning a child died early, in some cases just meaning someone died, regardless of his or her age. Sometimes you will find no reference at all. Hence it might be best to check the death records directly.

Regarding the record for Michael Brodda: Although I’m not sure what this counting intended to show, I’m quite sure it does not mean Michael died. I wonder whether it’s related to the remark below “Pietrzwald” indicating he was from another parish.

Best
Michael


Hi Michael,
Thank you again for all your help.
Trish


Hi Trish & Michael,

The word Trish does not recognize is the 1st Person Singular Perfect Indicative Active of the verb video, videre, vidi, visum, to see. It means “I saw (it)”. Think of the famous quote of Julius Caesar, Veni, Vidi, Vici—I came, I saw, I conquered. It is frequently found in metrical books when the dean looked at the parish registers during the obligatory pastoral visitation.

Michael, the three columns are a running tally of the baptisms of males, females, and all baptisms. You are correct that it has to do with the fact that Pietrzwald belonged to another parish. The vicar who baptized him entered the number 40 to indicate that it was the 40th baptism in the parish where the baptism took place.

Trish & Michael, To me the much more significant and interesting entry is that of the baptismal sponsors. Usually the sponsors were chosen because of a relationship they had with the parents. It is not so in this record. It appears that Jakub Mankowski and Teresa Chlebowska were sponsors simply because they were available and sponsors were needed and they were handy to recruit for the position. They were both paupers who were residing in a xenedocium, which was a hospice or a hostel for travelers. Not every parish had a xenedocium but often enough one was connected to the parish. Often it served not only as a hostel for travelers, but also as a sort of old age home for the poor who had no family to take them in.

Trish, you wrote that the Kreis where Pietrzwald is located and the Kreis where the record originated are not the same. If Michał Brodda were my ancestor I would want to know more about the circumstances of his birth, especially did the baptism take place in the hostel (xenedocium) because his parents were traveling and did they wait a week for the baptism because they wanted the vicar from their parish to celebrate the baptism.

Anyway, just some thoughts for your consideration.

Dave
View user's profile
Send private message
Trish



Joined: 23 Sep 2020
Replies: 47

Back to top
Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 12:33 pm      Post subject: Re: German Translation help please!
Reply with quote

dnowicki wrote:
Trish wrote:
Kmichael8 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Michael,
Thank you so much for the translation. Your help and kindness is much appreciated.

The town of Peterswalde was in Kreis Schlochau, West Prussia. The records come from Pelstin, Kreis Stuhm, West Prussia.

Jacob Brodda died in 1851. Barbara Beyer Brodda died in 1861. I have all 5 daughters listed. Out of the 7 sons, I know that one son died in 1818. My g.g.g.father is still alive in 1868 for he was married and having children. I have to find death records for 2 sons who died before 1851.

Question:
On a Baptismal record would there be a notation that a child died besides just marking it with a cross?

I am attaching another record for a Michael Brodda. Michael Brodda was born 25 September 1821. He was Baptized on 2 October 1821. His parents are Jacob Brodda and Barbara Beyer. It shows Michael as the 26 male being born. However, it shows (unknown word 40) whereas he should have been the 57th child born. The child above him is #56, and the child below him is #57 whereas Michael has this unknown word and the #40. Does this mean Michael died? I hope I explained this correctly.

Thanks again for all your help.
Trish


Hi Trish,

Regarding the cross on a Baptismal record: Well, it depends. Sometimes you will find a complete reference including the date of the death. Sometimes you will find just a cross – often meaning a child died early, in some cases just meaning someone died, regardless of his or her age. Sometimes you will find no reference at all. Hence it might be best to check the death records directly.

Regarding the record for Michael Brodda: Although I’m not sure what this counting intended to show, I’m quite sure it does not mean Michael died. I wonder whether it’s related to the remark below “Pietrzwald” indicating he was from another parish.

Best
Michael


Hi Michael,
Thank you again for all your help.
Trish


Hi Trish & Michael,

The word Trish does not recognize is the 1st Person Singular Perfect Indicative Active of the verb video, videre, vidi, visum, to see. It means “I saw (it)”. Think of the famous quote of Julius Caesar, Veni, Vidi, Vici—I came, I saw, I conquered. It is frequently found in metrical books when the dean looked at the parish registers during the obligatory pastoral visitation.

Michael, the three columns are a running tally of the baptisms of males, females, and all baptisms. You are correct that it has to do with the fact that Pietrzwald belonged to another parish. The vicar who baptized him entered the number 40 to indicate that it was the 40th baptism in the parish where the baptism took place.

Trish & Michael, To me the much more significant and interesting entry is that of the baptismal sponsors. Usually the sponsors were chosen because of a relationship they had with the parents. It is not so in this record. It appears that Jakub Mankowski and Teresa Chlebowska were sponsors simply because they were available and sponsors were needed and they were handy to recruit for the position. They were both paupers who were residing in a xenedocium, which was a hospice or a hostel for travelers. Not every parish had a xenedocium but often enough one was connected to the parish. Often it served not only as a hostel for travelers, but also as a sort of old age home for the poor who had no family to take them in.

Trish, you wrote that the Kreis where Pietrzwald is located and the Kreis where the record originated are not the same. If Michał Brodda were my ancestor I would want to know more about the circumstances of his birth, especially did the baptism take place in the hostel (xenedocium) because his parents were traveling and did they wait a week for the baptism because they wanted the vicar from their parish to celebrate the baptism.

Anyway, just some thoughts for your consideration.

Dave


Hi Dave,

Just to let you know that I have the B&B of Michael Brodda in Peterswalde (Cierznie), Schlochau, West Prussia. However, the record was a very bad copy. I then found the second B&B record for Michael Brodda that I posted. The record I posted was from Kalwe (Kalwa), Stuhm, West Prussia.

I don't understand why there were two records for Michael Brodda in two different towns. Was Michael Brodda born in one town and Baptized in another town? Maybe this is the reason why his birth is listed in two different towns?

Thanks for all the advice and help!
Trish
View user's profile
Send private message
TedMack



Joined: 12 Jun 2020
Replies: 309
Location: Sydney, Australia

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:46 am      Post subject: German Records Translation
Reply with quote

G'day Michael

Can you please translate the attached marriage and death records.

Ted



Marriage 2 Walenty Kordylas 1896 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  501.26 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Marriage 2 Walenty Kordylas 1896 (2).jpg



Death Jozefa Kordylas - record 47 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  271.95 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Death Jozefa Kordylas - record 47 (2).jpg


View user's profile
Send private message
Kmichael8



Joined: 28 Dec 2016
Replies: 375

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:25 pm      Post subject: Re: German Records Translation
Reply with quote

TedMack wrote:
G'day Michael

Can you please translate the attached marriage and death records.

Ted


Hello Ted
Please find attached the translations.
Best
Michael

Marriage 2 Walenty Kordylas 1896
B. No. 25.
Sobotka, on August 22, 1896. [Obviously the registrar misspelled the date first and corrected it then as you can see from the note on the right margin.]
Before the undersigned registrar appeared today for the purpose of marriage:

1. The laborer [Arbeiter] Valentin Kordylasinski, of know identity, of Catholic religion, born on February 9, 1820 in Skoraszewice, residing in Bismarcks-Dorf, son of the deceased smith [Schmied] Thomas Kordylasinski and his wife [The mother’s name was Louisa as you can see from the note on the right margin.], born Zachmoc, residing in Wierzchoslaw.

2. The laborer and widow [Arbeiterin, Witwe] Josepha Bogasczyk, born Szostak, of known identity, of Catholic religion, born on February 25, 1823 in [unsure about this place], residing in Bismarcks-Dorf, daughter of the deceased shepherd [Schäfer] Adam Szostak and his wife Elisabeth, born Solacz, residing in Goluchow.

As witnesses:

3. The laborer [Arbeiter] Simon Kuchta, of known identity, 56 years old, residing in Karsy.

4. The gardener [Gartenbesitzer, i.e. the owner of a small piece of land] Anton Zdzielkowski, of known identity, 60 years old, residing in Bismarcks-Dorf.

In the presence of the witnesses the registrar put to each of the betrothed in turn the question: whether they were willing to enter into marriage with one another. The betrothed answered this question in the affirmative, whereupon the registrar pronounced that by virtue of the Civil Code they were henceforth legally joined in marriage.

Read aloud, approved, and because they cannot write from the spouses and from the witness Kuchta marked with their signs, signed by the witness Zdzielkowski.
[Signatures].
The registrar.
[Signature].

Death Jozefa Kordylas
C. No. 47.
Sobotka, on May 11, 1900.
Before the undersigned registrar appeared today, of known identity, the gardener [Gartenbesitzer, i.e. the owner of a small piece of land] Anton Zdzielkowski, residing in Bismarksdorf, and gave notice that

Josepha Kordylas, born Adamska, 70 years old, of Catholic religion, residing in Bismarksdorf, born in Goluchow, wife of the laborer [Arbeiter] Walentin Kordylas, the names of the parents of the deceased are unknown, died in Bismarksdorf in the flat of her husband on May 10, 1900 at 9 o’clock p.m. The notice giver declares that he knows about the death from own science.

Read aloud, approved, and signed.
Antoni Zdzielkoski [The way he wrote his name is different from what the registrar wrote.]
The registrar.
[Signature].
View user's profile
Send private message
C J Schmidt



Joined: 27 Mar 2022
Replies: 6
Location: Retired

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:56 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Please could you translate this German written death record for me? It is a Wisconsin USA death record. Hoping to find some clues as to where Friedrich was born. His wife was born in Krosino near Swidwin in West Pomeranian.


Friedrich Bauer death notice 1904 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  317.36 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Friedrich Bauer death notice 1904 2.jpg


View user's profile
Send private message
Kmichael8



Joined: 28 Dec 2016
Replies: 375

Back to top
Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:48 am      Post subject:
Reply with quote

C J Schmidt wrote:
Please could you translate this German written death record for me? It is a Wisconsin USA death record. Hoping to find some clues as to where Friedrich was born. His wife was born in Krosino near Swidwin in West Pomeranian.


Friedrich Bauer deceased on April 22, 1904, 83 years, 5 months and 11 days old. He is survived by his widow, 4 children and 20 grandchildren. He died of old age [Altersschwäche]. Buried on April 25, 1904.
His reconciliation with the parish took place shortly before his death through pastoral mediation at his desire and request.
View user's profile
Send private message
TedMack



Joined: 12 Jun 2020
Replies: 309
Location: Sydney, Australia

Back to top
Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:24 am      Post subject: Re: German Records Translation
Reply with quote

Kmichael8 wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Michael

Can you please translate the attached marriage and death records.

Ted


Hello Ted
Please find attached the translations.
Best
Michael

Marriage 2 Walenty Kordylas 1896
B. No. 25.
Sobotka, on August 22, 1896. [Obviously the registrar misspelled the date first and corrected it then as you can see from the note on the right margin.]
Before the undersigned registrar appeared today for the purpose of marriage:

1. The laborer [Arbeiter] Valentin Kordylasinski, of know identity, of Catholic religion, born on February 9, 1820 in Skoraszewice, residing in Bismarcks-Dorf, son of the deceased smith [Schmied] Thomas Kordylasinski and his wife [The mother’s name was Louisa as you can see from the note on the right margin.], born Zachmoc, residing in Wierzchoslaw.

2. The laborer and widow [Arbeiterin, Witwe] Josepha Bogasczyk, born Szostak, of known identity, of Catholic religion, born on February 25, 1823 in [unsure about this place], residing in Bismarcks-Dorf, daughter of the deceased shepherd [Schäfer] Adam Szostak and his wife Elisabeth, born Solacz, residing in Goluchow.

As witnesses:

3. The laborer [Arbeiter] Simon Kuchta, of known identity, 56 years old, residing in Karsy.

4. The gardener [Gartenbesitzer, i.e. the owner of a small piece of land] Anton Zdzielkowski, of known identity, 60 years old, residing in Bismarcks-Dorf.

In the presence of the witnesses the registrar put to each of the betrothed in turn the question: whether they were willing to enter into marriage with one another. The betrothed answered this question in the affirmative, whereupon the registrar pronounced that by virtue of the Civil Code they were henceforth legally joined in marriage.

Read aloud, approved, and because they cannot write from the spouses and from the witness Kuchta marked with their signs, signed by the witness Zdzielkowski.
[Signatures].
The registrar.
[Signature].

Death Jozefa Kordylas
C. No. 47.
Sobotka, on May 11, 1900.
Before the undersigned registrar appeared today, of known identity, the gardener [Gartenbesitzer, i.e. the owner of a small piece of land] Anton Zdzielkowski, residing in Bismarksdorf, and gave notice that

Josepha Kordylas, born Adamska, 70 years old, of Catholic religion, residing in Bismarksdorf, born in Goluchow, wife of the laborer [Arbeiter] Walentin Kordylas, the names of the parents of the deceased are unknown, died in Bismarksdorf in the flat of her husband on May 10, 1900 at 9 o’clock p.m. The notice giver declares that he knows about the death from own science.

Read aloud, approved, and signed.
Antoni Zdzielkoski [The way he wrote his name is different from what the registrar wrote.]
The registrar.
[Signature].


Thank you very much Michael some interesting information which will help with further searching. I know that Wierzchoslaw is now Zychlin but am unable to locate anything for Zachmoc? I'll keep looking and see if I can locate.

Cheers
Ted
View user's profile
Send private message
C J Schmidt



Joined: 27 Mar 2022
Replies: 6
Location: Retired

Back to top
Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:49 am      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Thank you Michael for the quick reply and translation of the Friedrich Bauer death record. Smile
View user's profile
Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 Page 65 of 65

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB ©

© 2009-2022 COPYRIGHTS BY THE OWNER OF POLISHORIGINS.COM