PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 65

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:56 pm      Post subject: Livonian War in 1573: Regiment of Ukrainian Cossacks

I am hoping someone can help me navigate Polish National archives (including Krakow) for information on a registry of Ukrainian Cossacks (as mercenaries?) whose regiment was lead by a Colonel Jan Oryszkiewicz [CJO] during the later part of the Livonian War. Please note I am not fully sure of the spelling of his surname. I am also very much interested in who this man as well.

CJO lead a regiment of cossacks recruited from the Ukrainian villages of Sabadash and Buzovka (currently located in Zhashkiv Raion, Cherkasy…it might have been part of Tarachsha Raion then).

My understanding is following the war that CJO paid these men from the royal treasury and that a register containing their names exists in either archive.

It is this list which would be greatly appreciated as part of my genealogy research.
Thank you in advance
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:20 am      Post subject: Re: Livonian War in 1573: Regiment of Ukrainian Cossacks

Hello,
according to various sources, there might be more than one cossacs register over time.

I am not sure if you look for a register from particular time. I don't think all registers would be saved.

Anyway, here is information about register after Treaty of Zboriv, signed on 16 October 1649. It was published in 1874 by Osyp Bodiansky in Chteniia v Imperatorskom obshchestve istorii i drevnostei rossiiskikh.) I've never see it, so don't know if any surnames were written there.
http://www.encyclopediaofukraine.com/display.asp?linkpath=pages%5CZ%5CB%5CZborivTreatyof.htm

and
http://www.encyclopediaofukraine.com/display.asp?linkpath=pages%5CR%5CE%5CRegisteredCossacks.htm
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:40 am      Post subject:

There is also a book of Petro Sas, Zaporożci u polśko–moskowśkij wijni naprikinci Smuty 1617–1618 rr., Biła Cerkwa 2010. Author based his research on cossaks register of colonel Żdan Konsza in 1619 r. and register of Zaporożców captured in war 1617–1618 r.

Regarding Colonel Jan Oryszkiewicz, he was hetman of first know regestr of 530 Cossacs. It must be dated pre 1580.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: