PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241  Next
Author

Replies: 347

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:58 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

Some very useful information as always - saved myself some money for an ice cream as Charles E. Bennett’s New Latin Grammar (1918) is available on line at - https://www.thelatinlibrary.com/bennett.html .

Looks like you edited your original reply and dropped off some notes where you had an asterisk - these follow:
.....Agnieszka Mąkowska, the mother of the household* of the Curate of this place.
The sponsors were the worthy* Augustyn Kobusinski......

Can you please provide your comments.

Cheers
Ted
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2530

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:11 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Some very useful information as always - saved myself some money for an ice cream as Charles E. Bennett’s New Latin Grammar (1918) is available on line at - https://www.thelatinlibrary.com/bennett.html .

Looks like you edited your original reply and dropped off some notes where you had an asterisk - these follow:
.....Agnieszka Mąkowska, the mother of the household* of the Curate of this place.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

Here are the omitted notes.

Agnieszka
materfamilias/mother of household: usually used for the family matriarch. It is not clear to me that she is the mother of the curate or a servant/housekeeper since one record describes her as serving the curate which strikes me as a strange way for the priest to refer to his mother. A possible way to clear up the relationship would be to find an entry which gives the curate’s surname.

spectabilis/worthy: usually used to describe the social status of a patrician from a large town, which does not seem to fit the local organist—especially since only one entry describes him with that term. Perhaps it was used to indicate that he was a relatively well-to-do big fish in the small pond of the parish.

Glad to see that you saved enough cash for ice cream. (After all, ice cream, the elixir of life, is that which, as Ennius wrote, makes “vita vitalis”. ) I still have my hard cover copy of Bennett’s grammar but a few years ago I discovered a digital copy for Kindle which was free. I downloaded it but have not had occasion to use it but, hey, it was free. I doubt that Bennett’s grammar will turn you into a Latin scholar but checking it out will show how simple sacramental records are and why mastering Latin sacramental records—a worthy goal—does not mean that you can start reading other Latin docs.

Enjoy the ice cream.

Dave
TedMack

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:27 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

Here are the omitted notes.

Agnieszka
materfamilias/mother of household: usually used for the family matriarch. It is not clear to me that she is the mother of the curate or a servant/housekeeper since one record describes her as serving the curate which strikes me as a strange way for the priest to refer to his mother. A possible way to clear up the relationship would be to find an entry which gives the curate’s surname.

spectabilis/worthy: usually used to describe the social status of a patrician from a large town, which does not seem to fit the local organist—especially since only one entry describes him with that term. Perhaps it was used to indicate that he was a relatively well-to-do big fish in the small pond of the parish.

Glad to see that you saved enough cash for ice cream. (After all, ice cream, the elixir of life, is that which, as Ennius wrote, makes “vita vitalis”. ) I still have my hard cover copy of Bennett’s grammar but a few years ago I discovered a digital copy for Kindle which was free. I downloaded it but have not had occasion to use it but, hey, it was free. I doubt that Bennett’s grammar will turn you into a Latin scholar but checking it out will show how simple sacramental records are and why mastering Latin sacramental records—a worthy goal—does not mean that you can start reading other Latin docs.

Enjoy the ice cream.

Dave

Thanks Dave - the ice cream was enjoyable even though it is mid winter, any time is a good time for ice cream.

The unreadable place name is Skoraszewice which is also the name of the Parish. Attached is a copy of the full page of the record, the only place where it appears that the curate's name is given is midway down on page 2 although I think it may be saying that the curate has changed?? Otherwise, it's a visit to FamilySearch library to see if it is on the previous page. I note the organist is a perpetual godparent as well.

Cheers
Ted

Birth Walenty Kordylas 1820 - record 2(2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.58 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Birth Walenty Kordylas 1820 - record 2(2).jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:34 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

[quote="TedMack"][quote="dnowicki"]
TedMack wrote:

Thanks Dave - the ice cream was enjoyable even though it is mid winter, any time is a good time for ice cream.

The unreadable place name is Skoraszewice which is also the name of the Parish. Attached is a copy of the full page of the record, the only place where it appears that the curate's name is given is midway down on page 2 although I think it may be saying that the curate has changed?? Otherwise, it's a visit to FamilySearch library to see if it is on the previous page. I note the organist is a perpetual godparent as well.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

If you mean the line which begins “Productum in Congregatione…” the priest who appears in the entry is the local dean (dziekan) not the local parish curate. One of the duties of a dean was to look at the parish registers. The dean is signing off that he fulfilled that duty.

You are absolutely correct—it is never too cold for ice cream...even at the North or the South Pole.

Dave
yjurko22

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:27 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

RE POST: Hello would someone please be able to translate this document for me for Petrus Jurkowski, I can read the parent's names, but I am unable to tell what the mother's (Angella's) surname is. Thank you in advance

paull_770.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.59 MB

paull_770.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:48 pm      Post subject: Re: Teresa Burger

kalwin wrote:
Did I decipher that marriage record correctly? Could you please point out my mistakes.

12 October 1857 Majdan Huta 107/67

Adalbertus Herman (23) faber ferri, legitimanorum parentum, Antonii faberbis ferri in Bohorodczany et Elisabetha Bałoban filius.

Theresia Burger (15) filia legitima Antonii Burger, vitri faber in Majdan Huta et p.d. (post defuncta) Anastasiae Jaśniska.

Testes:
Adalbertus Burger vitrii faber ex Kolomea
Gabriel Philippowicz ferri faber ex Kolomea

Testimonium Parentus et Proclamationum sponsi uperidem im Actis No 13
Jako my, rodzicy małoletnich nowożeńców na ich małżeństwo zezwalamy, znakiem św. krzyżów stwierdzimy:
Anton Herman kowal w Bohorodczany X i
Anton Burger hutnik w Majdanie X

Benedixi Joannes Romankiewicz Administrator

Hi,

You did quite well with your transcription of the handwritten text. Here are the few necessary corrections.

1. feberbris ferri should be fabri ferri. Faber is a 2nd Declension noun and the Genitive Singular is fabri.

2. In the testes section vitrii should be vitri. Vitrum is a 2nd Declension noun and the Genitive Singular is vitri.

3. Testimonium Parentum is actually Testimonium Ortus. Ortus, ortus, m. is a 4th Declension noun. In 4th Declension masculine nouns the Genitive Singular has the same ending as the Nominative Singular. Testimonium Ortus is translated as “Testimony of Birth” or as “Certificate of Birth”.

4. Uperidem is actually written as reperitum (which is a scribal error—it should be repertum). It is the Perfect Passive Participle of the verb reperio, reperire, repperi, repertum, to find. The phrase should be translated as “...is found in Acts Number 13.

In the Polish text…

1. “...św. krzyżów stwierdzimy” is “św. krzyża (singular) twierdzimy” (There is no initial s). The usual English phrase is his/her/their mark. Since both fathers were illiterate they had to sign with their mark rather than their name.

2. Bohorodczany is Bohorodczanach—the Locative ending of this place name is
-ach.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave
TedMack

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:24 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

[quote="dnowicki"][quote="TedMack"]
dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

If you mean the line which begins “Productum in Congregatione…” the priest who appears in the entry is the local dean (dziekan) not the local parish curate. One of the duties of a dean was to look at the parish registers. The dean is signing off that he fulfilled that duty.

You are absolutely correct—it is never too cold for ice cream...even at the North or the South Pole.

Dave

G'day Dave

I was able to get the previous page - copy attached. It appears the curate signs the bottom of the first page - either that or his name is in the start of the 1820 record (?) - as my Latin is poor that is my best guess. Can you have a look and see if you can tell and provide your comments regarding the use of the term " the mother of the household of the Curate of this place".

Cheers
Ted

Walenty 1 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.41 MB

Walenty 1 (2).jpg

TedMack

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:30 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

I have another 2 records from the Rychnow Parish for translation please. They relate to possible records of my 3xGGM's although it is hard to tell, the date period is about correct. It also appears that there are no Baptism records for 1769 to 1771 - not sure if there anything noted to confirm or if they were recorded elsewhere and now no longer available.

At your leisure please.

Cheers
Ted

Possible Baptism Katarzyna Cebulka 1773 - record 3 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  170 KB

Possible Baptism Katarzyna Cebulka 1773 - record 3 (crop).jpg

Possible Baptism Katarzyna Cebulka 1773 - record 3 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  870.92 KB

Possible Baptism Katarzyna Cebulka 1773 - record 3 (2).jpg

Possible Baptism Marianna 1768 - record 6 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  143.34 KB

Possible Baptism Marianna 1768 - record 6 (crop).jpg

Possible Baptism Marianna 1768 - record 6 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.03 MB

Possible Baptism Marianna 1768 - record 6 (2).jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:39 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

yjurko22 wrote:
RE POST: Hello would someone please be able to translate this document for me for Petrus Jurkowski, I can read the parent's names, but I am unable to tell what the mother's (Angella's) surname is. Thank you in advance

Hi,

Given names have been translated into their Polish version. Surnames are in the vernacular and not in Latin so there is nothing to translate there. I cannot be certain of the spelling of the surnames since it is a question of reading the letters as written and in such a brief entry there are not enough letters from known words to use to compare to all the letters in the surnames.

Anyway, the translation follows.

Dave

Col. 1: Year (at top): 1894

Col. 1a: N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order: Missing

Col. 1b: Mensis = The Month: June
Col. 1b1: Natus = Of birth: 19
Col. 1b2: Baptisatus = Of Baptism: 24

Col. 2: Numerus domus = House Number: 213

Col. 3: Nomen Infantis = Name of the Infant: Piotr

Col. 4: Religio = Religion
Col. 4a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b: Acatholica= Non-Catholic: Blank

Col. 5: Sexus = Sex/Gender
Col. 5a: Puer = Boy: Checked
Col. 5b: Puella = Girl: Blank

Col. 6: Thori = of the (marital) bed
Col. 6a: Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 6b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank

Col. 7: PARENTES = PARENTS
Col. 7a: PATRIS ac parentum suorum nomen, cognomen et conditio ejus = The name of the father and also the first and surname of his parents (i.e. the paternal grandparents of the child) and his (i.e. the father’s) condition/status/occupation: Paweł Jurkowski, a farmer, the son of Benedykt and of Anna (née) Manatyska(?)
Col. 7b: MATRIS ac parentum suorum nomen, cognomen et conditio = The name of the mother and also the first and surnames of her parents (i.e. the maternal grandparents of the child) and their condition/status/occupation: Aniela, the daughter of Mikołaj Ba(?)nowski and of Apolonia (née) Miterowicz(?)

Col. 8: Patrini eorum nomen et conditio = The sponsors (aka godparents): their names and condition/status/occupation: Władysław Michałowski, a farmer; Zofia, the wife of Józef ????ski

Notation in Cols. 1-4a: The midwife was Ksenia Romanicki(?)
Notation in Cols. 1-3: The same as above baptized (him)
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:59 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
[quote=

G'day Dave

I was able to get the previous page - copy attached. It appears the curate signs the bottom of the first page - either that or his name is in the start of the 1820 record (?) - as my Latin is poor that is my best guess. Can you have a look and see if you can tell and provide your comments regarding the use of the term " the mother of the household of the Curate of this place".

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

There are two notations at the bottom of the left page which were entered by priests who were not the curate in 1820. The first which begins with the word “productum” is the dean signing off that he examined the register on 13 October, 1819. The second which begins with what looks like a slanted letter F refers to the out of order entry at the very top of the page made by Gołębecki, who was the curate in 1830. The entry at the bottom of the right hand page (the first B&B for 1920) gives the name of the curate at that time as Jan Nawrocki.

The materfamilias explanation was found under Agnieszka in a previous post. Here it is again.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:06 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

I have another 2 records from the Rychnow Parish for translation please. They relate to possible records of my 3xGGM's although it is hard to tell, the date period is about correct. It also appears that there are no Baptism records for 1769 to 1771 - not sure if there anything noted to confirm or if they were recorded elsewhere and now no longer available.

At your leisure please.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

Here follow the translations of the two latest record posted.

With a birthday party for a grand nephew on Friday, a wedding on Saturday, and the holiday in honor of the 246th anniversary of the independence of the USA it is right and just, fitting and proper that I declare my independence from Latin translations until after the holiday has been celebrated.

Translations will be shut down for a weekend of fun and relaxation.

Dave

Baptism of Maryanna

July
#6 Rychnow

On the 17th day of the same month I, who is above, baptized an infant by the name of Maryanna (born) of the legitimate Catholic marital union of this parish of Antoni and Zofia, tenants. The sponsors were Sebastian Jędrzejak from Piątek Wielki and Łucja Walkowska from Rychnow.

Baptism of Katarzyna

Rychnow

In the same year on the last day of May I, Anton (cut off) Nalinski(?), the curate of Rychnow, baptized an infant born on the 30th of May of the legitimate marriage of this parish industrious Marcin and Franciszka to whom the name Katarzyna of Siena was given. The sponsors were Ignacy Jerezynski and Maryanna Kozłowiczonka.
TedMack

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:26 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

At your leisure please.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

Here follow the translations of the two latest record posted.

With a birthday party for a grand nephew on Friday, a wedding on Saturday, and the holiday in honor of the 246th anniversary of the independence of the USA it is right and just, fitting and proper that I declare my independence from Latin translations until after the holiday has been celebrated.

Translations will be shut down for a weekend of fun and relaxation.

Dave

G'day Dave

Thanks for the translations - by all means you should "carpe vinum." and relax. Don't forget to have the obligatory ice cream to top off the celebrations.

Enjoy.
Ted
timfly1985

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:09 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

I would like to have the first record on the left hand page translated. It is from April 30 1837, the marriage of Paul Flajzsik and Magdalena Paradajzer. I am having trouble understanding the 3 column(the column to the right of their names) and the last column on the left hand page. Thank you in advance!

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939F-194T-B?i=146&cc=1554443&cat=1548230
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:50 am      Post subject:

timfly1985 wrote:
Hello,

I would like to have the first record on the left hand page translated. It is from April 30 1837, the marriage of Paul Flajzsik and Magdalena Paradajzer. I am having trouble understanding the 3 column(the column to the right of their names) and the last column on the left hand page. Thank you in advance!

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939F-194T-B?i=146&cc=1554443&cat=1548230

Hi,

Here is the translation of the marriage record you posted.

Dave

Col. 1: Mense die = In the month and day: April 30

Col. 2: Matrimonio junctorum = Of those joined in matrimony

Col. 2a: Cognomina Nomina et Religio = Given and surnames and Religion: Paul Flajzsik, Magda(lena) Paradajzer of the Catholic Religion

Col. 2b: Conditio, locus originis et domicilii = Condition/status/occupation, place of origin/birth et domicile: Opilio Domini e Predio Adamov = Shepherd of the lord (Polish & Czech title is Pan; Slovak is Pán ) of the estate of Adamov

Col. 3: Testium Nomen cognomen et Conditio = Given and surnames of the witnesses and their condition, status, occupation: Joseph Perger, Joseph Hofpeser, obscure nobles

Col. 4: Copulans = The one joining (them) in marriage: D. Malagyidos(?), the pastor of this place

Col. 5: Dispensatio et Dimissio* = Dispensation and Dismissal*: Cum Dimissione = With Dismissal

Note: *Dimissio/Dismissal was the formal release of an individual from the care of one parish to another.
TedMack

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:14 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

I hope you have recovered from the recent celebrations and enjoyed the festivities.

When time permits can you please translate the attached Baptism record from Rychnow parish. I see the surnames have been written in some time later (probably when he married, as is the case with his brothers) but of note to me is that the surname for Andrzej is not quite Mackowski (he is the son of Maciej) and Marianna's surname is similar to the surname in the marriage record for the eldest daughter (Justynowna - although death record correctly lists her surname as Mackowski). Hopefully a translation may assist with further research and details being located.

Cheers
Ted

Birth Wawrzyniec Mackowski - record 21 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  171.01 KB

Birth Wawrzyniec Mackowski - record 21 (crop).jpg

Birth Wawrzyniec Mackowski - record 21 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  981.69 KB

Birth Wawrzyniec Mackowski - record 21 (2).jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241  Next Page 237 of 241

Jump to: