PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 14

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:49 pm      Post subject: Decades search: Skarupski/Budnych(Budney) in Łążyn

My aunt and I searched for years to try to find more than the 1 document we have. She died young with no answers. I have tried to find them on every database (several times a year), no success.

This is the translated (8 seperate times, so know it's correct) text of the birth baptismal certificate of my great-aunt:

Republic of Poland
Diocese of Włocławek
Roman Catholic Parish in Łążyn
Powiat: Lipno
Poczta: Dobrzejewice

Birth and baptismal certificate from the record made in year 1887 no 12 Weronika Skarupska, daughter of Piotr and his wife Marianna, born Budnych, was born in Łążyn on the 30th of January 1887 and baptized on the 31st of January 1887.

This certificate was issued in Łążyn on the 7th of March 1939.

Parish priest and civil registrar Rev. Joseph Rośniak (that was the best guess from the scribble signature)
----

What I do know, that they at least lived in Łążyn when their 1st child was born. I know their 2nd child was born in Prussia/Pomerania/Poland as well. They emigrated to the US and settled in the Pittsburgh, PA area.

I was told, by 5 of the 8 translators that this village of Łążyn is located approx 19km east of Torun.
On Google maps it is Łążyn 87-123
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:39 am      Post subject: Re: Decades search: Skarupski/Budnych(Budney) in Łążyn

meowsrus wrote:
My aunt and I searched for years to try to find more than the 1 document we have. She died young with no answers. I have tried to find them on every database (several times a year), no success.

This is the translated (8 seperate times, so know it's correct) text of the birth baptismal certificate of my great-aunt:

Republic of Poland
Diocese of Włocławek

Birth and baptismal certificate from the record made in year 1887 no 12 Weronika Skarupska, daughter of Piotr and his wife Marianna, born Budnych, was born in Łążyn on the 30th of January 1887 and baptized on the 31st of January 1887.

Parish priest and civil registrar Rev. Joseph Rośniak (that was the best guess from the scribble signature)
----

What I do know, that they at least lived in Łążyn when their 1st child was born. I know their 2nd child was born in Prussia/Pomerania/Poland as well. They emigrated to the US and settled in the Pittsburgh, PA area.

I was told, by 5 of the 8 translators that this village of Łążyn is located approx 19km east of Torun.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum!
I'm hoping that we can help move your search along a bit.
It's good that you posted such complete information about the location of Łążyn, because it is not the first Łążyn that googlemaps wants to show you when you type that into the search box. It is exactly as you say, east of Toruń. The number 87-123 is the Polish postal code.
Just to clarify, are you saying this is the only document you have on Weronika from Poland, or the only document you have on her at all? I am guessing you also have census records for her, possibly a death certificate? How about a ship's manifest?
It might be useful to post images of these (or links to them) here.
This may not be the most important detail for you, the name of the parish priest who signed your document in 1939, but he is in fact Father Józef Rosiński, as you can see from the history of the parish here:
http://lazyn.diecezja.wloclawek.pl/?page_id=9

Best regards,
Sophia
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 295

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:20 pm      Post subject: Re: Decades search: Skarupski/Budnych(Budney) in Łążyn

Sophia wrote:
meowsrus wrote:

Republic of Poland
Diocese of Włocławek

----

Hi,
Welcome to the forum!
I'm hoping that we can help move your search along a bit.
It's good that you posted such complete information about the location of Łążyn, because it is not the first Łążyn that googlemaps wants to show you when you type that into the search box. It is exactly as you say, east of Toruń. The number 87-123 is the Polish postal code.
Just to clarify, are you saying this is the only document you have on Weronika from Poland, or the only document you have on her at all? I am guessing you also have census records for her, possibly a death certificate? How about a ship's manifest?
It might be useful to post images of these (or links to them) here.
This may not be the most important detail for you, the name of the parish priest who signed your document in 1939, but he is in fact Father Józef Rosiński, as you can see from the history of the parish here:
http://lazyn.diecezja.wloclawek.pl/?page_id=9

Best regards,
Sophia

Hi Sophia,

This might help some. It is the 1900 Census.

Name: Weronika Skarupski
[Weronika Skorupski]
[Veronika Skarupski]
Birth Date: Jun 1887
Birthplace: Poland, Russia
[Poland;Russia]
Home in 1900: Pittsburgh Ward 13, Allegheny, Pennsylvania
Ward of City: 13th
Street: North Preble Street
House Number: 3023
Sheet Number: 7
Institution: Convent Holy Family Of Nazareth (Liner 1-11 Ine)
Number of Dwelling in Order of Visitation: 46
Family Number: 122
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1889
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Marital Status: Single
Father's Name: Pete Skarupski
Father's Birthplace: Poland, Russia
Mother's Name: Mary Skarupski
Mother's Birthplace: Poland, Russia
Years in US: 11
Naturalization: Naturalized
Attended School: 11
Can Read: Yes
Can Write: Yes
Can Speak English: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members Age Relationship
Pete Skarupski 30 Head
Mary Skarupski 30 Wife
Weronika Skarupski 13 Daughter
Julian Skarupski 11 Son
Stanirlous Skarupski 10 Son
Leonarda Skarupski 8 Daughter
Onton Skarupski 6 Son
John Skarupski 3 Son
Peter Skarupski 5/12 Son
Mary Skarupski 3/12 Daughter
Onton Budney 28 Brother in Law (Brother-in-law)

Trish

1900 Census Piotr Skarupski.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.84 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1900 Census Piotr Skarupski.jpg

Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 295

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:45 pm      Post subject: Re: Decades search: Skarupski/Budnych(Budney) in Łążyn

meowsrus wrote:

Republic of Poland
Diocese of Włocławek

----

Hi,
I did find the manifest for Weronika coming to the USA with her mother and brother.

Name: Maryanna Skorupska
Race: Prussian (German)
Birth Date: 1867
Port of Departure: Hamburg, Germany
Arrival Date: 11 Dec 1889
Port of Arrival: New York City, New York
Arrival Quarter: Dec
Ship Name: Gothia
Page number: 2

Trish

Weronika Skarupska Ship Manifest.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  498.34 KB

Weronika Skarupska Ship Manifest.jpg

meowsrus

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:36 pm      Post subject: Re: Decades search: Skarupski/Budnych(Budney) in Łążyn

Trish wrote:
meowsrus wrote:

Republic of Poland
Diocese of Włocławek

----

Hi,
I did find the manifest for Weronika coming to the USA with her mother and brother.

Trish

You found the manifest! ????????

I was just about to post images from the 1900 and 1910 census records.

As you see it changes from Poland to Germany to Russia on everything. But we know both Weronika and my g-grandfather were both born in Łążyn. He was an infant when she came over, but was still born there.

The baptismal/ birth certificate for Weronika is the only document from anywhere in Poland that we've been able to find.

Poitr "Peter" and Marianna "Mary Ann" show up on a bunch over here after they crossed the ocean.

They had 11 children, 9 in the states (1 only lived a little over 4 months).

From the census records they were married in 1885, when only 16. Marianne was 19 when she crossed with the 2 kids. He came ahead of her, but haven't found that one.

Her brother Onton "Anthony" lived with them for a bit, then became a priest and resided in Ohio.

She had a sister Anna and another brother Lawrence (from what I can determine). I do know she, and youngest Frank, lived with Fr Anthony after Poitr died. But cut off from Anna after Anthony died because he left everything to Anna (what, or how much, no idea- info from distant cousin)

I have found a good bit about my g-grandfather and his wife (but not her family, too common a name apparently).

Screenshot_20220710-171058_Family Tree.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  177.77 KB

Screenshot_20220710-171058_Family Tree.jpg

Screenshot_20220710-171557_Family Tree.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  221.91 KB

Screenshot_20220710-171557_Family Tree.jpg

meowsrus

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:38 pm      Post subject: Re: Decades search: Skarupski/Budnych(Budney) in Łążyn

meowsrus wrote:
Trish wrote:
meowsrus wrote:

Republic of Poland
Diocese of Włocławek

----

Hi,

Trish

As you see it changes from Poland to Germany to Russia on everything. But we know both Weronika and my g-grandfather were both born in Łążyn. He was an infant when she came over, but was still born there.

The baptismal/ birth certificate for Weronika is the only document from anywhere in Poland that we've been able to find.

Poitr "Peter" and Marianna "Mary Ann" show up on a bunch over here after they crossed the ocean.

From the census records they were married in 1885, when only 16. Marianne was 19 when she crossed with the 2 kids. He came ahead of her, but haven't found that one.

Her brother Onton "Anthony" lived with them for a bit, then became a priest and resided in Ohio.

She had a sister Anna and another brother Lawrence (from what I can determine). I do know she, and youngest Frank, lived with Fr Anthony after Poitr died. But cut off from Anna after Anthony died because he left everything to Anna (what, or how much, no idea- info from distant cousin)

I have found a good bit about my g-grandfather and his wife (but not her family, too common a name apparently).

Sorry, 2nd image shows kids from 1910 census. Weronika was already gone from household.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:10 pm      Post subject: Re: Decades search: Skarupski/Budnych(Budney) in Łążyn

meowsrus wrote:
meowsrus wrote:
Trish wrote:
meowsrus wrote:

Republic of Poland
Diocese of Włocławek

----

Hi,

Trish

Sorry, 2nd image shows kids from 1910 census. Weronika was already gone from household.

Hi meowsrus, Sophia, & Trish,

Neither Weronika nor Julian Skorupski can be found in a database because the birth records for the parish of Łążyn have only ben indexed on Geneteka until the year 1808. However, the parish metrical books have been scaned and can be found on https://www.genealogiawarchiwach.pl/ Here are the links to the birth records of Weronika & of her brother Julian:

1887 #12 B&B Weronika Skorupska
https://www.genealogiawarchiwach.pl/#query.type=ALL&query.facetQuery.date=1887&query.city=%25C5%2581%25C4%2585%25C5%25BCyn&query.suggestion=false&query.thumbnails=false&query.facet=true&query.asc=false&query.sortMode=PUBLICATION&modal=255460852&personTree=false&goComments=false&searcher=big&query.query

1888 #39 B&B Julian Skorupski
https://www.genealogiawarchiwach.pl/#query.type=ALL&query.facetQuery.date=1888&query.city=%25C5%2581%25C4%2585%25C5%25BCyn&query.suggestion=false&query.thumbnails=false&query.facet=true&query.asc=false&query.sortMode=PUBLICATION&modal=254618646&personTree=false&goComments=false&searcher=big&query.query

Here is the link to the marriage record from the same parish for their parents Piotr & Maryanna:

1885 #8 Marriage Piotr Skorupski & Maryanna Budna
https://www.genealogiawarchiwach.pl/#query.type=ALL&query.facetQuery.date=1885&query.city=%25C5%2581%25C4%2585%25C5%25BCyn&query.suggestion=false&query.thumbnails=false&query.facet=true&query.asc=false&query.sortMode=PUBLICATION&modal=309318414&personTree=false&goComments=false&searcher=big&query.query

Also, attached are downloads of the three records as well as a 1907 map of powiat Lipnowski of the Kingdom of Poland (Królestwo Polskie) aka Russian Poland.

The records are in Russian written with the Cyrillic Alphabet but I assure you that they are the correct records.

I hope that you find the above useful.

Dave

58.Lipnowski.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.57 KB

58.Lipnowski.jpg

69_1276_0_121.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  472.25 KB

69_1276_0_121.jpg

69_1276_0_123.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  410.36 KB

69_1276_0_123.jpg

69_1276_0_124.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  373.55 KB

69_1276_0_124.jpg

meowsrus

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:13 pm      Post subject: Re: Decades search: Skarupski/Budnych(Budney) in Łążyn

dnowicki wrote:
meowsrus wrote:
meowsrus wrote:
Trish wrote:
meowsrus wrote:

Republic of Poland
Diocese of Włocławek

----

Hi,

Trish

Neither Weronika nor Julian Skorupski can be found in a database because the birth records for the parish of Łążyn have only ben indexed on Geneteka until the year 1808. However, the parish metrical books have been scaned and can be found on https://www.genealogiawarchiwach.pl/ Here are the links to the birth records of Weronika & of her brother Julian:

https://www.genealogiawarchiwach.pl/#query.type=ALL&query.facetQuery.date=1887&query.city=%25C5%2581%25C4%2585%25C5%25BCyn&query.suggestion=false&query.thumbnails=false&query.facet=true&query.asc=false&query.sortMode=PUBLICATION&modal=255460852&personTree=false&goComments=false&searcher=big&query.query

https://www.genealogiawarchiwach.pl/#query.type=ALL&query.facetQuery.date=1888&query.city=%25C5%2581%25C4%2585%25C5%25BCyn&query.suggestion=false&query.thumbnails=false&query.facet=true&query.asc=false&query.sortMode=PUBLICATION&modal=254618646&personTree=false&goComments=false&searcher=big&query.query

Here is the link to the marriage record from the same parish for their parents Piotr & Maryanna:

https://www.genealogiawarchiwach.pl/#query.type=ALL&query.facetQuery.date=1885&query.city=%25C5%2581%25C4%2585%25C5%25BCyn&query.suggestion=false&query.thumbnails=false&query.facet=true&query.asc=false&query.sortMode=PUBLICATION&modal=309318414&personTree=false&goComments=false&searcher=big&query.query

Also, attached are downloads of the three records as well as a 1907 map of powiat Lipnowski of the Kingdom of Poland (Królestwo Polskie) aka Russian Poland.

The records are in Russian written with the Cyrillic Alphabet but I assure you that they are the correct records.

Dave

Dave, I want to hug you right now!!!

I have tried that site's database every 3 months (every area, yes takes a while) and am so grateful to you!

Thank you also for the screen grabs of them because the one attached is how it's showing up on my phone (laptop out of commission).

Why are they in Russian? I thought was Prussian area when they were married and kids born.

Screenshot_20220710-200824_Chrome.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  131.46 KB

Screenshot_20220710-200824_Chrome.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:43 pm      Post subject: Re: Decades search: Skarupski/Budnych(Budney) in Łążyn

meowsrus wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
meowsrus wrote:
meowsrus wrote:
Trish wrote:
meowsrus wrote:

Republic of Poland
Diocese of Włocławek

----

Hi,

Trish

Dave

I have tried that site's database every 3 months (every area, yes takes a while) and am so grateful to you!

Thank you also for the screen grabs of them because the one attached is how it's showing up on my phone (laptop out of commission).

Why are they in Russian? I thought was Prussian area when they were married and kids born.

Hi,

Like with so many genealogical sites staffed by volunteers only a relatively small portion of metrical records have been indexed thus far. The way I located the three records was by going through the internal indexes within the records of births and marriages for the years 1885, 1887, and 1888. Those indexes, of course, are also in Russian. So, why Russian? The short answer is the knee jerk reaction of an autocrat and his government. The switch from Polish to Russian within the Kingdom of Poland was a reaction to and punishment for the January uprising of 1864.

During the Partitions what is now województwo Kujawsko-Pomorskie fell under Prussian control as what was known as South Prussia. In 1806 Napoleon, as a result of his victories and the treaties of Tilsit, removed the region from Prussian control and formed from it the Duchy of Warsaw, a French allied state. The Duchy came to an end following the defeat of Napoleon and the Congress of Vienna in 1815. The Congress returned a portion of the Duchy to Prussia and created the Russian ruled Kingdom of Poland from the largest part of the territory of the Duchy. In the late 19th Century the border between Russian ruled Poland and German ruled Poland ran just to the west of Łążyn between Łążyn and Toruń.

I hope the above helps to clarify the lay of the land.

Dave

P.S. I would recommend that you post the records for translation. The marriage record in particular contains quite a bit of info which should help further your research.
meowsrus

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:54 am      Post subject: Re: Decades search: Skarupski/Budnych(Budney) in Łążyn

dnowicki wrote:
meowsrus wrote:
dnowicki wrote:

Dave

Hi,

Like with so many genealogical sites staffed by volunteers only a relatively small portion of metrical records have been indexed thus far. The way I located the three records was by going through the internal indexes within the records of births and marriages for the years 1885, 1887, and 1888. Those indexes, of course, are also in Russian. So, why Russian? The short answer is the knee jerk reaction of an autocrat and his government. The switch from Polish to Russian within the Kingdom of Poland was a reaction to and punishment for the January uprising of 1864.

During the Partitions what is now województwo Kujawsko-Pomorskie fell under Prussian control as what was known as South Prussia. In 1806 Napoleon, as a result of his victories and the treaties of Tilsit, removed the region from Prussian control and formed from it the Duchy of Warsaw, a French allied state. The Duchy came to an end following the defeat of Napoleon and the Congress of Vienna in 1815. The Congress returned a portion of the Duchy to Prussia and created the Russian ruled Kingdom of Poland from the largest part of the territory of the Duchy. In the late 19th Century the border between Russian ruled Poland and German ruled Poland ran just to the west of Łążyn between Łążyn and Toruń.

I hope the above helps to clarify the lay of the land.

Dave

P.S. I would recommend that you post the records for translation. The marriage record in particular contains quite a bit of info which should help further your research.

That helps a great deal! Not sure how much was passed along to Julius by his parents, but he died when my mother was little and my aunt, who I was doing research with, a baby. Julius' wife was, um, well, let's just say I knew her and had many a nightmare as a child and use tales of her to let my kids know how good they have it. (All others I have found that knew her all had similar stories (sadly- and yet somewhat humorously). So no hopes of any information from her.

But my aunt was under impression it was Prussian held area, not sure why/how but seeing just how close the border is- she wasn't far off (to North, what? 4 miles? If that?)

I have to ask, hopefully someone knows answer, any idea why Łążyn was such a common village name? Is there a translation for it?

And thank you so very much for the map. I tried a few times for one from time period they lived or at least left there, though had no luck . Were all just general, multi-country ones with no villages. So any hard borders were vague.

Everyone, I am blown away, eyes literally flowing, that in a span of a DAY I have more information than my aunt and I could find since 1998!!! Thanks to all of you. I hope you all understand that for me it's not just genealogy, it's a promise to her that I wouldn't give up, could have the information to give to our kids one day.

Thank you all so, so much.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:36 am      Post subject:

Hi Collette, Trish and Dave,

Wow! Tons of good information here. I will add a few additional bits.

First, here are two maps that you may enjoy. The first one shows the place names all labelled in Polish, as you would find them on a map today:
https://polona.pl/item/torun,MzY0Nzg4ODM/0/#info:metadata
You can orient yourself best by finding Torun, and heading eastward. You will find your Łążyn just off the bottom edge of the map. Do you see how it is marked as a circle with a + in it? The key tells you that this is a village with a church.

This one, which is at a greater magnification, has towns labelled with their German names as they were when the area was Prussia. In this case, Torun is "Thorn" and it is not at the bottom of this map but much more in the center; your Łążyn is "Łonżyn." Because of the scale of the map, you see actual individual buildings. Here, the church in Łonżyn is shown as a circle with a cross above it.
https://polona.pl/item/thorn-gollub-dobrzyn-argenau-sluzewo-lipno,MTAwMDA4Mzgz/0/#info:metadata

A quick comment about a surname - - you have the masculine form which is Budny and the feminine form which is Budna. "Budney" is not a correct Polish spelling. "Budnych" is an example of how Polish grammar changes the endings of words (and names!) within sentences. For the purpose of your family tree, go with Budna for Marianna and Budny for her brother Antoni.

Did Weronika marry? Do you have a death certificate for her? Since she requested her baptism extract in 1939, you ought to be able to find her in several more censuses.

Best regards,
Sophia
meowsrus

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:41 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:

First, here are two maps that you may enjoy. The first one shows the place names all labelled in Polish, as you would find them on a map today:
You can orient yourself best by finding Torun, and heading eastward. You will find your Łążyn just off the bottom edge of the map. Do you see how it is marked as a circle with a + in it? The key tells you that this is a village with a church.

This one, which is at a greater magnification, has towns labelled with their German names as they were when the area was Prussia. In this case, Torun is "Thorn" and it is not at the bottom of this map but much more in the center; your Łążyn is "Łonżyn." Because of the scale of the map, you see actual individual buildings. Here, the church in Łonżyn is shown as a circle with a cross above it.
https://polona.pl/item/thorn-gollub-dobrzyn-argenau-sluzewo-lipno,MTAwMDA4Mzgz/0/#info:metadata

A quick comment about a surname - - you have the masculine form which is Budny and the feminine form which is Budna. "Budney" is not a correct Polish spelling. "Budnych" is an example of how Polish grammar changes the endings of words (and names!) within sentences. For the purpose of your family tree, go with Budna for Marianna and Budny for her brother Antoni.

Did Weronika marry? Do you have a death certificate for her? Since she requested her baptism extract in 1939, you ought to be able to find her in several more censuses.

Best regards,
Sophia

Hi Sophia Smile

With Weronika things were, well, complicated. She was expected to become a nun- which she did for a short while. She left and married. After he passed she later remarried. She had moved out to the Midwest, near where one of her sibs had. She never had any children.

With Skarupski (there is an o to a shift in the name, but is also on the reissue of her Polish birth/ Baptism certificate from 1939 with a) it was easier than most to trace, not very common.

My Aunt and I found majority of the descendants of Poitr and Marianna, once we found a few key cousins who had tons of info to get us started. When Julius died they all pretty much broke contact due to the, ahem, brusque personality of Agnes, (Agnieszka Zielińska- they were married in Pittsburgh, Julius was barely 4 months old when arrived in states). And she liked things that way apparently, I knew her, she lived with my grandparents for years until my grandfather died unexpectedly when I was 8.

Some of the sibs changed what they went by Sharpski, Sharpsky, Sharpske, Sharp (only my pappap and 1 of his uncles did this- all in Pgh).

Only children of Poitr and Marianna did the Sharpsky/ Sharpski change from Ska(o)rupski. Any listed today are all cousins. Though after my aunt died unexpectedly I lagged in updating new arrivals/marriages for quite a few years, sadly.

Oh I wrote the various forms of Marianna 's maiden name because it's written all those ways on documents in Pgh. So it was easy to assume, but never be certain. Couldn't verify she was originally from Łążyn and not an entirely different country and just happened to be in area on the way through to Germany to boat out to America. (On 23and me a cousin -trying to figure out where/how- has issues tracing because her grandmother came into the world this way). Since my aunt and I tried to trace Poitr and Marianna for decades with no hits at all, was worried that was the case.

Now that there is the marriage certificate, it's known for sure! Very Happy I have her in my records as Budna, but she had the others so, so many times as well.

Ooh I can't wait to dig into the maps and see the differences. Thank you!

This is such a trove of help and information, wish Suzie was still around to see it all, she'd be squee-ing with glee!!!

Collette
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:19 pm      Post subject:

meowsrus wrote:
Sophia wrote:

Best regards,
Sophia

Hi Sophia :)

With Weronika things were, well, complicated. She was expected to become a nun- which she did for a short while. She left and married. After he passed she later remarried. She had moved out to the Midwest, near where one of her sibs had. She never had any children.

With Skarupski (there is an o to a shift in the name, but is also on the reissue of her Polish birth/ Baptism certificate from 1939 with a) it was easier than most to trace, not very common.

My Aunt and I found majority of the descendants of Poitr and Marianna, once we found a few key cousins who had tons of info to get us started. When Julius died they all pretty much broke contact due to the, ahem, brusque personality of Agnes, (Agnieszka Zielińska- they were married in Pittsburgh, Julius was barely 4 months old when arrived in states). And she liked things that way apparently, I knew her, she lived with my grandparents for years until my grandfather died unexpectedly when I was 8.

Some of the sibs changed what they went by Sharpski, Sharpsky, Sharpske, Sharp (only my pappap and 1 of his uncles did this- all in Pgh).

Only children of Poitr and Marianna did the Sharpsky/ Sharpski change from Ska(o)rupski. Any listed today are all cousins. Though after my aunt died unexpectedly I lagged in updating new arrivals/marriages for quite a few years, sadly.

Oh I wrote the various forms of Marianna 's maiden name because it's written all those ways on documents in Pgh. So it was easy to assume, but never be certain. Couldn't verify she was originally from Łążyn and not an entirely different country and just happened to be in area on the way through to Germany to boat out to America. (On 23and me a cousin -trying to figure out where/how- has issues tracing because her grandmother came into the world this way). Since my aunt and I tried to trace Poitr and Marianna for decades with no hits at all, was worried that was the case.

Now that there is the marriage certificate, it's known for sure! :D I have her in my records as Budna, but she had the others so, so many times as well.

This is such a trove of help and information, wish Suzie was still around to see it all, she'd be squee-ing with glee!!!

Collette

Hi Collette,

Here is a little something to keep you occupied and out of trouble—the birth & baptism records of Piotr and of Maryanna. Piotr’s is from 1867, the last year they were in Polish. These records always follow a standard format with set formulae. To save you from asking Marcel for a translation here are the facts without the excess verbiage:

Name of child: Piotr
Date & Place of registration of birth & the baptism: 29 June 1867 at 11:00 a.m. in Łążyn
Parents: Mateusz Skorupski, age 42, a hired hand (wyrobnik) from Łążyn
Maryanna Rysiewska, age 27
Witnesses: Maciej Rygieski, age 42, & Jan Rygielski, age 35, both hired hands (wyrobnicy) from Łążyn
Place & Date of Birth: Łążyn , yesterday (June 28) at 11:00 p.m.
Godparents: Maciej Rygieski & Katarzyna Grzegorzewska

The downloaded images are attached.

Dave

1867 #28 ur. Piotr Skorupski.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  422.88 KB

1867 #28 ur. Piotr Skorupski.jpg

1868 #35 ur. Marianna Budna.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  457.76 KB

1868 #35 ur. Marianna Budna.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:53 am      Post subject:

meowsrus wrote:

Collette

Hi Collette,
I'm glad that you came to this forum. I enjoyed the conversation.
One last resource for you, although you may already be familiar with it since you've been researching in Pittsburgh for so long, is the digital collection from the University of Pittsburgh:
https://digital.library.pitt.edu/
You can search on your ancestors' names and get images of fun things like Pittsburgh city directories, church jubilee books, and so on.
Best of luck to you,
Sophia
meowsrus

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:41 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
meowsrus wrote:
Sophia wrote:

Best regards,
Sophia

Hi Sophia Smile

Now that there is the marriage certificate, it's known for sure! Very Happy I have her in my records as Budna, but she had the others so, so many times as well.

Collette

Hi Collette,

Here is a little something to keep you occupied and out of trouble—the birth & baptism records of Piotr and of Maryanna. Piotr’s is from 1867, the last year they were in Polish. These records always follow a standard format with set formulae. To save you from asking Marcel for a translation here are the facts without the excess verbiage:

Name of child: Piotr
Date & Place of registration of birth & the baptism: 29 June 1867 at 11:00 a.m. in Łążyn
Parents: Mateusz Skorupski, age 42, a hired hand (wyrobnik) from Łążyn
Maryanna Rysiewska, age 27
Witnesses: Maciej Rygieski, age 42, & Jan Rygielski, age 35, both hired hands (wyrobnicy) from Łążyn
Place & Date of Birth: Łążyn , yesterday (June 2Cool at 11:00 p.m.
Godparents: Maciej Rygieski & Katarzyna Grzegorzewska

The downloaded images are attached.

Dave

Whoa, you read my mind! I had just said to my daughter how I need to see if I can find those and when I check back in, surprise!! Thank you! Smile
Thank you! Because of Mateusz and Maryanna's ages, wondering if Poitr had older siblings.

But a question/thought that came to me- Dave you said 1808 was the point of change to search the records vs what was put in database? So when I was putting in Skarupski/ Skarupska/ Skorupski/ Skorupska in and was having 0 results,more than likely they moved to area from elsewhere after 1808?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: