PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Surname Bala
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:21 am      Post subject: Re: Surname Bala

MBBuffalo wrote:

Hey Dave,

I apologize for being so needy, but apparently the Bala line prefers to go incognito. I've tried googling and searching all sorts of Penn databases for either the marriage of Jozef/Lucy or birth of John and am coming up short. That Geneteka site you linked way up in the chat has come in hand big time. I've managed to take Jadwiga Jasinska and go back a few generations following the birth and marriage trails as they list parents on their marriage info thankfully. Tried all sorts of combinations of Bala too and tried different provinces around to double check.

As, I think Trish mentioned, I was also perplexed as to why Jozef put father in law even though he may have technically been unmarried. Perhaps its as simple as he intended to marry her and just notated him as FIL? Same with Jadwiga. Can't find a marriage record state side or Polish side (yet) for Jan Bala to either Jadwiga Szuba or Jasinska. Is it possible she just took his name or was the duty to honor your family in the church too strong for that to be the scenario. There i a find a grave with Jan and Jadwiga Bala from here in Buffalo, New York.

Thanks again all for your help.

Your grateful amateur genealogist,

Matt

Hi Matt,
You mention that you have been googling and searching databases, and coming up short. Did you follow through on Dave's suggestion to look on Family Search at the Buffalo church records? You mentioned that you know the family belonged to St. Adalbert's. Did you look at their records? Family Search does have a good search engine, but many of the records that they have microfilmed have not been indexed and thus do not show up in the results of a search there. You have to open the records and go page by page through them (happily, many church books include a few pages of hand-written indices to make the hunt easier.) Once you've got that, you will have a primary record (see earlier in this thread for Dave's excellent advice regarding primary vs. secondary sources). Then your next task will be going from Geneteka results (which are also secondary sources) to finding the actual records behind them. Lots of work! But very satisfying.
I agree with your hypothesis that the reason Jozef listed Stanislaw Konieczny as his father-in-law on his ship manifest is that he was engaged to be married and this term was the most accurate way of describing his relationship to the person he was going to.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 299

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:52 pm      Post subject: Re: Surname Bala

MBBuffalo wrote:
Hey Dave,

I apologize for being so needy, but apparently the Bala line prefers to go incognito. I've tried googling and searching all sorts of Penn databases for either the marriage of Jozef/Lucy or birth of John and am coming up short. That Geneteka site you linked way up in the chat has come in hand big time. I've managed to take Jadwiga Jasinska and go back a few generations following the birth and marriage trails as they list parents on their marriage info thankfully. Tried all sorts of combinations of Bala too and tried different provinces around to double check.

As, I think Trish mentioned, I was also perplexed as to why Jozef put father in law even though he may have technically been unmarried. Perhaps its as simple as he intended to marry her and just notated him as FIL? Same with Jadwiga. Can't find a marriage record state side or Polish side (yet) for Jan Bala to either Jadwiga Szuba or Jasinska. Is it possible she just took his name or was the duty to honor your family in the church too strong for that to be the scenario. There i a find a grave with Jan and Jadwiga Bala from here in Buffalo, New York.

Matt

Hi Matt, Sophia, and Dave,

I found two of Jozef Bala's children in St. Adalbert's Church in Buffalo. (I'm look for my Pisarski relative and found Matt's family. Very Happy )

Franciszek Bala was born on 2 July 1907 in Buffalo, NY and Baptized in St. Adalbert's. His B&B is Entry #152, Image #892 on film #1292862. The towns are listed for Jozef and Lucja.

Zofia Bala was born on in Buffalo, NY and Baptized in St. Adalbert's. Her B&B is Entry #88, Image #177, Film #1292862.

I also found the following on Family Search. It could be the father of Jan Bala born 1849. The film # 2as 1959913 Item 7. It was only a transcription. There is no image available.

Name Joannes Bala
Sex Male
Baptism Date 27 May 1849
Baptism Place Żyraków, Żyraków, Rzeszów, Poland
Father's Name Mathias Bala
Mother's Name Teresia Kurek
Event Type Baptism
House Number 13
Volume Beginning Year 1846
Volume Ending Year 1886

Joannes Bala's Parents
Mathias Bala - Father
Teresia Kurek - Mother

Hope this is helpful.
Trish

Zofia Bala b. 29 March 1910, #88, Image 877.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  868.38 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Zofia Bala b. 29 March 1910, #88, Image 877.jpg

Franciszek Bala b. 2 July 1907, $152, Image 892.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  853.83 KB

Franciszek Bala b. 2 July 1907, $152, Image 892.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:59 pm      Post subject: Re: Surname Bala

Trish wrote:
MBBuffalo wrote:
Hey Dave,

Matt

I found two of Jozef Bala's children in St. Adalbert's Church in Buffalo. (I'm look for my Pisarski relative and found Matt's family. Very Happy )

Franciszek Bala was born on 2 July 1907 in Buffalo, NY and Baptized in St. Adalbert's. His B&B is Entry #152, Image #892 on film #1292862. The towns are listed for Jozef and Lucja.

Zofia Bala was born on in Buffalo, NY and Baptized in St. Adalbert's. Her B&B is Entry #88, Image #177, Film #1292862.

I also found the following on Family Search. It could be the father of Jan Bala born 1849. The film # 2as 1959913 Item 7. It was only a transcription. There is no image available.

Name Joannes Bala
Sex Male
Baptism Date 27 May 1849
Event Type Baptism
House Number 13
Volume Ending Year 1886

Joannes Bala's Parents
Mathias Bala - Father
Teresia Kurek - Mother

Hope this is helpful.
Trish

Hi Matt, Trish & Sophia,

Matt, You’ll not find the Bial-Jasinska marriage indexed on Geneteka or another database. Marriages for the parish of Straszęcin have not been indexed post 1870. The same is true of births and deaths. If you look at the attached screenshot of the Geneteka index you can see the years that have been indexed. Probably the best option in going forward would be to write to the parish and ask for copies of the records you need. Sine the last Szuba child was born in 1873 and the first Bala child was born in 1876 Marcin Szuba must have died in or after 1873 and the Bala-Jasinska marriage must have taken place after 1873 and before 1876. The letter should be written in Polish. Family Search has a guide for writing letters in Polish which should work for you. https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Poland_Letter_Writing_Guide
After you’ve put together a mix and match request you can post a draft of your letter and I or someone else can offer suggestions and/or corrections.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Screenshot 2022-07-10 121454.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.87 KB

Screenshot 2022-07-10 121454.png

MBBuffalo

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:36 pm      Post subject: Re: Surname Bala

dnowicki wrote:
Trish wrote:
MBBuffalo wrote:
Hey Dave,

Matt

Name Joannes Bala
Sex Male
Baptism Date 27 May 1849
Event Type Baptism
House Number 13
Volume Ending Year 1886

Joannes Bala's Parents
Mathias Bala - Father
Teresia Kurek - Mother

Hope this is helpful.
Trish

Hi Matt, Trish & Sophia,

Matt, You’ll not find the Bial-Jasinska marriage indexed on Geneteka or another database. Marriages for the parish of Straszęcin have not been indexed post 1870. The same is true of births and deaths. If you look at the attached screenshot of the Geneteka index you can see the years that have been indexed. Probably the best option in going forward would be to write to the parish and ask for copies of the records you need. Sine the last Szuba child was born in 1873 and the first Bala child was born in 1876 Marcin Szuba must have died in or after 1873 and the Bala-Jasinska marriage must have taken place after 1873 and before 1876. The letter should be written in Polish. Family Search has a guide for writing letters in Polish which should work for you. https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Poland_Letter_Writing_Guide
After you’ve put together a mix and match request you can post a draft of your letter and I or someone else can offer suggestions and/or corrections.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Thank you all dearly for the suggestions. I will certainly follow-up on them and let you know the results (or post a draft as you mentioned.

Sincerely,

Matt
MBBuffalo

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:26 am      Post subject: Re: Surname Bala

MBBuffalo wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
Trish wrote:
MBBuffalo wrote:
Hey Dave,

Matt

Name Joannes Bala
Sex Male
Baptism Date 27 May 1849
Event Type Baptism
House Number 13
Volume Ending Year 1886

Joannes Bala's Parents
Mathias Bala - Father
Teresia Kurek - Mother

Hope this is helpful.
Trish

Hi Matt, Trish & Sophia,

Wishing you success,

Dave

Thank you all dearly for the suggestions. I will certainly follow-up on them and let you know the results (or post a draft as you mentioned.

Sincerely,

Matt

Hello again!

I finally finished the letter to the Parish of Jan and Jadwiga Bala. Would someone mind proof reading it to make sure it is respectful and appropriate for what's trying to be accomplished?

Thank you,

Matt

2 Sierpnia 2022

Drogi Księże,

Mieszkam w Stanach Zjednoczonych, ale moi przodkowie są polskiego pochodzenia. Chcę dowiedzieć się więcej o moich przodkach. Następujące osoby są moimi przodkami, którzy urodzili się w Polsce. Podaję wszystkie dane jakie mam o nich.

Imię i nazwisko: Jan Bala
Data zgonu: 1902
Miejsce zgonu: Buffalo, New York, United States
Imię i nazwisko panieńskie żony: Jadwiga Jasinska
Syn: Josef Bala (12 Jul 1879 Żyraków, Żyraków, Rzeszow, Poland - 27 December 1927 Buffalo, NY, USA)
Córka: Katarzyna Bala (1876)
Siostra: Marianna Bala (1858 – 1870)

Chiciałbym dowiedzieć się więcej o rodzinie tej osoby. Byłbym wdzięczny za podanie nazwisk i dat urodzenia braci i sióstr oraz kopię świadectwa ślubu rodziców. Proszę o przesłnani mi pełnego odpisu świadectwa ślubu tej osoby. Proszę o przesłnani mi pełnego odpisu świadectwa ślubu rodziców tej osoby. Proszę o przesłanie mi pełnego odpisu lub kserokopii świadectwa urodzenia albo chrztu tej osoby.

Imię i nazwisko: Jadwiga Jasinska
Imię i nazwisko ojca: Andrzej Jasinski
Imię nazwisko panieńskie matki: Apolonia Wiśniowska
Data urodzenia (w przybliżeniu): 1840
Miejsce urodzenia: Straszecin, Podkarpackie, Poland
Data zgonu: 1893
Miejsce zgonu: Buffalo, New York, United States
Imię i nazwisko męża: Martin Szuba
Imię i nazwisko męża: Jan Bala (Data ślubu: 1873 – 1876)

Chiciałbym dowiedzieć się więcej o rodzinie tej osoby. Byłbym wdzięczny za podanie nazwisk i dat urodzenia braci i sióstr oraz kopię świadectwa ślubu rodziców. Proszę o przesłnani mi pełnego odpisu świadectwa ślubu tej osoby. Proszę o przesłnani mi pełnego odpisu świadectwa ślubu rodziców tej osoby. Proszę o przesłanie mi pełnego odpisu lub kserokopii świadectwa urodzenia albo chrztu tej osoby.

Jeśli Pan Ksiądz, nie dysponuje informacjami, których potrzebuję, chicałbym dowiedzieć się gdzie mogę je znaleźć. Czy można otrzymać kserokopie dokumentów i za jaką opłatą? Proszę o informację w jaki sposób mogę w ramach wdzięczności za okazaną pomoc złożyć ofiarę na kościół?

Z góry dziękuję za pomoc.

Z szacunkiem,
Matthew Bala
j_lex

Replies: 50

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:01 pm      Post subject:

For anyone not aware (I didn't see it mentioned), for some searches of Catholic parishes in Buffalo, you can use: https://pgsnys.online/databases-2/

I've had a lot of success searching various permutations of relatives. Some of the indexed entries show helpful info as well. And then of course you have to go back to the FamilySearch catalog and find the right page and entry.

I'm sure you've already come across these records (Trish referenced earlier):

j bala.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.64 KB

j bala.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: