PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 7
Location: Countryside illinois grew up Bridgeport Chicago illinois

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:54 pm      Post subject: Surname Speck

Trying to locate my grandfather hometown last name Speck Several ways spelling Spieck Szpek Spak Spiega and even alot more . Andrew Speck moved to cook county Chgo il born Dec 20 1883 approx Krakow Poland we think . Had relatives Stanleyand Edward .Death of Andrew March 21 1933 . Married Mary Slaga in cook county Chgo il .trying to find out more of him and his parents. He died when my father Michael Speck 3 yrs old. I know he was in Michigan Illinois possibly Pennsylvania. My grandfather worked in the Chicago Union Stockyards as a cowboy .Stanley Speck his brother born 1889 died Sept 20 1957. Not sure if Andrews father was a Paul Spiega/Speck possibly married a Katozyna Wajbaniz have those name but no other info any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Joan Speck
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:01 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

You may already have this information but here goes….

Family Search has the indexed record for Andrew’s marriage to Mary Slaga. Here is the information from the indexed record:

Name Henry Spech Or Andro Spaick
Event Place Cook, Illinois, United States
Residence Place Cook, Illinois, United States
Age 24
Age 24y
Additional Relatives X
Birth Date 1883
Birth Year (Estimated) 1883
Marriage Date 28 Jul 1907
Marriage Date 28 Jul 1907
Marriage Place Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Spouse's Name Mary Slaga
Spouse's Age 19
Spouse's Age 19y
Spouse's Birth Date 1888
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated) 1888
License Type Marriage
Record Number 107

And here is the link to the above record:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N7HC-PYS

Because you now have the index record, you can send a record lookup request to FamilySearch, by just following the instructions using the link below. They will need the link I provided you for the indexed record.

https://www.familysearch.org/en/family-history-library/record-lookup-service

They should be able to locate the marriage license for you and send you the image via email. Once you have an image of the civil marriage license, it may provide you with more information. It may also give you the name of the priest who performed the marriage. You can then look up the name of the priest online and find the church in which they married. Once you know the church in Cook County, you can contact them and request a copy of information contained in the parish sacramental marriage record. Often, the priest included village of baptism and names of parents. That would be the best way to find his place of birth and confirm his parents.

I will allow other forum members add to or correct my suggestions.

Good luck!
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 295

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:59 am      Post subject: Re: Surname Speck

Speck wrote:
Trying to locate my grandfather hometown last name Speck Several ways spelling Spieck Szpek Spak Spiega and even alot more . Andrew Speck moved to cook county Chgo il born Dec 20 1883 approx Krakow Poland we think . Had relatives Stanleyand Edward .Death of Andrew March 21 1933 . Married Mary Slaga in cook county Chgo il .trying to find out more of him and his parents. He died when my father Michael Speck 3 yrs old. I know he was in Michigan Illinois possibly Pennsylvania. My grandfather worked in the Chicago Union Stockyards as a cowboy .Stanley Speck his brother born 1889 died Sept 20 1957. Not sure if Andrews father was a Paul Spiega/Speck possibly married a Katozyna Wajbaniz have those name but no other info any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Joan Speck

Hi Joan,
Found this death information for Andrew Speck in the Illinois Death Index. It listed his parents' names. There is no image for the record.
Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths Index, 1916-1947

Name Andrew Spick
Birth Date 20 Dec 1882
Birth Place Osakuw, Poland
Death Date 21 Mar 1933
Death Place Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Burial Date 25 Mar 1933
Burial Place Justice, Cook, Ill.
Cemetery Name Ressurection
Death Age 50
Occupation Swift Packing
Race White
Marital Status M
Gender Male
Residence Chicago, Cook, Ill.
Father Name Paul Spick
Father Birth Place Osakuw, Poland
Mother Name Kataryna Wajbaniz
Mother Birth Place Osakuw, Poland
Spouse Name Maryanna
FHL Film Number 1893719

There are some clues on the death record index such as parents names.

Trish
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:08 pm      Post subject: Re: Surname Speck

Speck wrote:
Joan Speck

Hi Joan,

Just found a naturalization record for Mary Slaga Speck. It lists a town for her as Novaturk, Poland. Maybe someone in the group knows where this town is located.

Trish

May Slaga Speck Naturalization.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  557.52 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

May Slaga Speck Naturalization.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:54 pm      Post subject:

Hi Speck, Cynthia and Trish,
"Novaturk" is likely Nowy Targ.
However, Andrew (Andzrej) and Mary (maybe Maria, or maybe Maryanna) may not have come from the same place.
Sophia

Last edited by Sophia on Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:56 pm      Post subject:

Both Szpak and Szpek are names in use, in Poland.
See the distribution of people with the name Szpak here:
https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Szpak
And again, for Szpek:
https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Szpek
Szpek would seem the more logical choice, but if you are looking around Krakow, then Szpak is more common. For the moment, you should keep both in mind.
Your "Katozyna Wajbaniz" is a bit more difficult. Her first name is spelled Katarzyna. Her surname may begin with "Waj...." but then I think the remaining letters do not make sense. Have you any document showing this name?
Sophia
mm_88

Replies: 63

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:03 pm      Post subject:

Hi Joan,
according to the 1920 census, Andrew lived with his family in Grant Township, Mason, Michigan, United States. There is a record for his daughter Martha - she died in 1921 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KFQW-5LG The surname you can find there is SPIECHA.
You also mentioned Andrew's brother, Stanley. Do you have any information about his family? I found some records for Stanley Spiech born 1889 in Hłudno, married to Anna Jachim, but his death date is 24 Feb 1961, Michigan so I'm not sure if it's the right person
https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&q.anyDate.from=1889&q.birthLikeDate.from=1889&q.deathLikeDate.from=1957&q.givenName=stanley&q.spouseGivenName=anna&q.spouseSurname=jachim&q.surname=spiech

Trish
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:55 am      Post subject: Re: Surname Speck

Speck wrote:
Joan Speck

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to find some clues on Baptismal records of Andrzej Speck's children. I downloaded three of them to show the vaious spellings of the surname.

Hope this helps shed some light on the correct spelling of the surname.
Trish
(ps-I got the records from Find My Past website.)

Adalbert Speck Birth & Baptismal.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  167.2 KB

Adalbert Speck Birth & Baptismal.jpg

John Spieck Birth & Baptismal.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  439.64 KB

John Spieck Birth & Baptismal.jpg

Catherine Szpieg Birth and Baptismal.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  159.49 KB

Catherine Szpieg Birth and Baptismal.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:19 pm      Post subject: Re: Surname Speck

Trish wrote:
Speck wrote:
Joan Speck

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to find some clues on Baptismal records of Andrzej Speck's children. I downloaded three of them to show the vaious spellings of the surname.

Hope this helps shed some light on the correct spelling of the surname.
Trish
(ps-I got the records from Find My Past website.)

Hi Trish et al,

Attached is the ecclesiastical marriage record for Andrew aka Henry & Mary from Family Search. They married in St. Michael the Archangel parish, which has now merged with several other Back of the Yards parishes.. The church was in the 4800 block of South Damen Ave. and the rectory was on Hermitage Avenue. The parish was founded as a Slovak Catholic parish. Although both the Polish and Slovak languages are part of the Western Slav family of languages and in spoken form are mutually understandable they differ considerably in their written form so the marriage record will not be helpful in determining the Polish spelling of surnames.

It would seem that the search om this side of the pond for the original spelling of the surname is pretty much exhausted.

Dave

record-image_(3).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.52 MB

record-image_(3).jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: