PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 240, 241, 242 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 479

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:13 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

Can you please translate the attached Baptism record please. I am revisiting the Oleynik (Klimczak) records and have been looking for the son Kacper who was notifier at the deaths of his brothers with no luck for now. I keep coming across other siblings which I didn't know about - this appears to be Franciszek born to Kazimierz and Ewa in 1781 in Kiełczew Smużny, par. Wrząca Wielka.

Cheers
Ted

Birth Franciszek Klimczak 1781 - record 40 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  255.05 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Birth Franciszek Klimczak 1781 - record 40 (crop).jpg

Birth Franciszek Klimczak 1781 - record 40(full).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.12 MB

Birth Franciszek Klimczak 1781 - record 40(full).jpg

Blue

Replies: 68

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:26 am      Post subject: Barthomew Adamek

Hi Dave

Can I please have some more help with a death record. I have tried to transcribe and translate what I can as follows...

Pomiany
Bartholom. Adamek
Anno 1819 die 26 Aprilis hora 4 mane Millesina _____ gentesimo, derimo none, die vigessina sexta Aprilis hora quorta Matutina mortuus ess Bartholomuos ob inoccu latas varioloas, novem mensium filius Bernardi Adamek hortulani et Maria Napieralonka ______notus et vigesina septima ____ sepultus, Trzcinica, 83

In English: Bartholomew Adamek died on 26 April 1819 at 4am from smallpox. Not sure if someone reported the death on the same day? Bartholomew was 9 months old, and the son of gardener Bernard Adamek and Maria Napieralonka. He was buried on the 27th April.

I would appreciate it if you can please fill in the gaps and correct my mistakes, and do you know what the number 83 relates to? Is 83 the Act number for the Trzcinica parish records?

Bartholomeus Adamek - death 1819.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  430.89 KB

Bartholomeus Adamek - death 1819.png

Blue

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:10 am      Post subject: Stanislaus Adamek

Hi Dave

Can I also have a bit of help with this death record extract?

I can't read the word underneath Morbus (looks like Obvandar)?, and I also can't understand the information about the certifier of death (looks like Antonius Napierała, Ca_____ in Pomiany testis de morte = Antonius Napierała, ___, from Pomiany, who witnessed the death)?

Also, I keep seeing an occupation that looks like it is written as "Semicme to " Can you please let me know what this word means? Does it relate to old age or something?

And another occupation I recently came across was "miles" - does miles translate to soldier?

Many thanks

Stanislaus Adamek - death 1822.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  406.7 KB

Stanislaus Adamek - death 1822.png

Blue

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:36 am      Post subject: Thomas Kołodziej - death 1831

Hi Dave

Can you please also help me with the death record for Thomas Kołodziej?

I can transcribe and translate as follows:

Page: 15-16
Act Number: 23
Obitus Annus et Mensis. The year and month of death: March 1831
Dies. Day: 25
Locus mortis. Place of death: Laski
Nomen et Cognomen, Mortis. Name and surname of deceased: Thomas Kolodziej
Aetas. Age:
Anni. Years: 53
Menses. Months: 3
Dies. Days: 3
Conditio. Condition: widow of Antonia Sowinska, cassarius [?]
Conditio et professio Patris. Condition and occupation of the father: cassarius [?]
Nomen et Cognomen Patris. Name of father: Petrus Kolodziej
Nomen et Cognomen Matris. Name of mother: Catharina Wieznicnka
Il/Legitimi pueri / puellae: Legitimately born male.
Causa Mortis / Morbus. Cause of death / disease: ob conssemptionem [?] 89
Certitudo de morte: information about the death: Adalbertus Parzonka hortulanis in Laski = Adalbertus Parzonka gardener in Laski
Annotationes. Notes:

Thomas Kolodziej - death 1831.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  270.22 KB

Thomas Kolodziej - death 1831.png

Blue

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:14 am      Post subject: Franciscus Chalupka - death 1856

Hi Dave
Can you please help me out with a few words for the last row of text?
I read it as follows:

Morbus: Dolor pe toris [?] = pain in the leg [?]
Certitudo de morte: information about the death: ab uxore Cunegunda = from his wife Cunegunda
Annotations: Pereliquit 4 minoremmes liberus [?] = he left behind four children [?]

Franciscus Chalupka - death 1856.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  252.34 KB

Franciscus Chalupka - death 1856.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:32 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Can you please translate the attached Baptism record please. I am revisiting the Oleynik (Klimczak) records and have been looking for the son Kacper who was notifier at the deaths of his brothers with no luck for now. I keep coming across other siblings which I didn't know about - this appears to be Franciszek born to Kazimierz and Ewa in 1781 in Kiełczew Smużny, par. Wrząca Wielka.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

The second half of the entry is nigh unto impossible to read due to the tight binding of the regiater which cuts off letters and the quality of the script. Fortunately the data of the parents and the child is legible.

Dave

Here is what can be read;

Cut off letters Kiełczewo Smuzne on the 30th day of September I baptized an infant by the name of Franciszek (born) of the legitimate marriage of the industrious* Kazimierz and Ewa, serfs from Kiełczewo Smuzne. His sponsors were the industrious* Benedykt, a servant (illegible) with Maryanna (illegible) both from ????lęca ???.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:39 pm      Post subject: Re: Barthomew Adamek

Blue wrote:
Hi Dave

Can I please have some more help with a death record. I have tried to transcribe and translate what I can as follows...

Pomiany
Bartholom. Adamek
Anno 1819 die 26 Aprilis hora 4 mane Millesina _____ gentesimo, derimo none, die vigessina sexta Aprilis hora quorta Matutina mortuus ess Bartholomuos ob inoccu latas varioloas, novem mensium filius Bernardi Adamek hortulani et Maria Napieralonka ______notus et vigesina septima ____ sepultus, Trzcinica, 83

In English: Bartholomew Adamek died on 26 April 1819 at 4am from smallpox. Not sure if someone reported the death on the same day? Bartholomew was 9 months old, and the son of gardener Bernard Adamek and Maria Napieralonka. He was buried on the 27th April.

I would appreciate it if you can please fill in the gaps and correct my mistakes, and do you know what the number 83 relates to? Is 83 the Act number for the Trzcinica parish records?

Hi blue,

Here are the death records of Tomasz/Thomas Kołodzie and of Bartłomiej/Bartholomew Adamek. The other records and answers to your questions will follow tomorrow.

Dave

1819 Death Record of Bartłomiej/Bartholomew Adamek
This record is unusual...not difficult...just strange. The data at the beginning of the entry is repeated twice, once using Arabic numerals and the second time using words written in longhand. In order to have a sensible translation the data should only appear once in English, as you did and I have done as long as you keep in mind the differences between the Latin and the English translation. It seems to be a safe guess that the number 83 refers to entry number 83 for the parish for the year 1819. It is probably not the 83rd death but the 83rd of births, marriages, and deaths for the year. The years from 1808 to about 1820 were years of disturbance and change due to the Napoleonic Wars, the defeat of Napoleon, the Congress of Vienna in 1815 and readjustments during the years immediately following the Congress. The instability of the period is reflected in the way vital records were kept during that period. You got most of the data in the record but I changed quite a bit in the translation in order to make the English more faithfully follow the Latin.

Pomiany
Bartholomæus Adamek
Anno 1819 die 26 Aprilis hora 4 mane Millesimo octingentesimo, decimo nono, die vigessina sexta Aprilis hora quarta Matutina mortuus est Bartholomæus ob inocculatas varioloas*, novem mensium filius Bernardi Adamek hortulani et Maria Napieralonka ** Mathæo Bzik aedituo notus et vigesina septima hujus*** sepultus, Trzcinica, 83

In English: Bartłomiej/Bartholomew Adamek
In the year 1819 on the 26th day of April at 4am Bartłomiej/Bartholomew, nine months old, the son of Bernard Adamek, a gardener, and of Maria Napieralonka** known to Mateusz/Matthew Bzik, the sacristan/sexton, died because of smallpox inoculation* and was buried on the 27th of this*** (month). Trzcinica, 83

Note: *ob inocculatas varioloas/on account of smallpox inoculation: In the early inoculation for smallpox a person was exposed to the actual virus in a process known as variolation. Patients usually developed the symptoms of smallpox but usually without deadly results, although there were risks associated with inoculation and sometimes a person did die. In 1801 a British physician published a paper on substituting the cowpox virus for the more deadly smallpox virus.

**The old feminine suffix -lonka was used to identify a woman as “the daughter of…” The surname of her father was Napiera. Trzcinica 83

***hujus/of this: The Genitive Singular of the Demonstrative Pronoun hic, haec, hoc (this). The spelling hujus was commonly used during the 19th Century and into the early 20th Century. The original Latin alphabet used the same symbol (I) for both the vowel (I) and for the consonant (J) Latin grammars of the 19th Century and the early 20th Century distinguished the vowel and the consonant by using I for the vowel and J for the consonant. By the middle of the 20th century Latin grammars reverted to the earlier practice of using the letter I for both the vowel and the consonant. Hujus was frequently used in metrical records and requires an understood noun which it modifies supplied from the context. Here that noun is mensis/month.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:44 pm      Post subject: Re: Thomas Kołodziej - death 1831

Blue wrote:
Hi Dave

Can you please also help me with the death record for Thomas Kołodziej?

I can transcribe and translate as follows:

Nomen et Cognomen, Mortis. Name and surname of deceased: Thomas Kolodziej
Aetas. Age:
Conditio. Condition: widow of Antonia Sowinska, cassarius [?]
Conditio et professio Patris. Condition and occupation of the father: cassarius [?]
Nomen et Cognomen Patris. Name of father: Petrus Kolodziej
Nomen et Cognomen Matris. Name of mother: Catharina Wieznicnka
Causa Mortis / Morbus. Cause of death / disease: ob conssemptionem [?] 89
Certitudo de morte: information about the death: Adalbertus Parzonka hortulanis in Laski = Adalbertus Parzonka gardener in Laski
Annotationes. Notes:

Death Record of Tomasz/Thomas Kołodziej:

Nomen et Cognomen, Mortis. Name and surname of deceased: Tomasz/Thomas Kołodziej
Aetas. Age:
Conditio. Condition: husband (vir) of Antonia Sowinska, cottager (cassariæ)
Conditio et professio Patris. Condition and occupation of the father: cassarius = cottager
Nomen et Cognomen Patris. Name of father: Piotr/Peter Kołodziej
Nomen et Cognomen Matris. Name of mother: Katarzyna/Catharine Więznianka*
Causa Mortis / Morbus. Cause of death / disease: ob consumptionem = on account of Consumption** 89
Certitudo de morte: information about the death: Adalbertus Parzonka hortulanus in Laski =Wojciech/Adalbert Parzonka, gardener in Laski
Annotationes. Notes:

Notes: *The suffix -ianka was an old feminine suffix which was added to a surname to describe an unmarried female as “the daughter of...”

** ob consumptionem/because of consumption: an old name for tuberculosis of the lungs.
TedMack

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:48 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

The second half of the entry is nigh unto impossible to read due to the tight binding of the regiater which cuts off letters and the quality of the script. Fortunately the data of the parents and the child is legible.

Dave

Here is what can be read;

Cut off letters Kiełczewo Smuzne on the 30th day of September I baptized an infant by the name of Franciszek (born) of the legitimate marriage of the industrious* Kazimierz and Ewa, serfs from Kiełczewo Smuzne. His sponsors were the industrious* Benedykt, a servant (illegible) with Maryanna (illegible) both from ????lęca ???.

Thanks Dave - the search continues!

Ted
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:27 am      Post subject: Re: Stanislaus Adamek

Blue wrote:
Hi Dave

Can I also have a bit of help with this death record extract?

I can't read the word underneath Morbus (looks like Obvandar)?, and I also can't understand the information about the certifier of death (looks like Antonius Napierała, Ca_____ in Pomiany testis de morte = Antonius Napierała, ___, from Pomiany, who witnessed the death)?

Also, I keep seeing an occupation that looks like it is written as "Semicme to " Can you please let me know what this word means? Does it relate to old age or something?

And another occupation I recently came across was "miles" - does miles translate to soldier?

Many thanks

Hi blue,

Re: Death of Stanisław Adamek

The handwriting is more than usually difficult to read because of the style of letter formation and especially due to the faded ink. I see the entry in the Morbus column as two words, Ob and variolas which translates as “due to smallpox”.

The entry in the next column is: “Antonius Napierała, Casarius in Pomiany testis de morte”. The translation is “Antoni Napierała, a cottager in Pomiany, witness regarding the death”. That he is named as a witness regarding the death does not necessarily mean that he was present at the time of the death. It simply means that he knew of it and thus informed the priest of the death.

The first word about which you asked is semicmeto (also spelled semicmetho). It is part of the vocabulary used from the Middle Ages into the 19th Century to describe a social/economic class to which a peasant belonged which was based on the amount of land the peasant held. At the top of the hierarchy of peasantry was a Cmeto/Cmetho (In Polish: kmieć), a peasant who held enough land to be self-sufficient or self-sustaining. He was able to support himself and his family by working his land, often had other peasants work for him. A semicmeto was one rung below a cmeto and thus did some outside work in order to support himself and his family but he sometimes employed other peasant to help him work the land. I would translate the term as “a semi-self sustaining peasant farmer” or as “a semi-self sufficient peasant farmer. The attached PDF contains a list of the various classes in the hierarchy of peasantry and the Latin vocabulary used for those classes. These terms were not universal Latin words but were pretty much found only in Poland and its neighbors, including Germany. One would not expect to see that terminology used outside of Central and Eastern Europe nor would one find them in ordinary Latin dictionaries.

Miles, militis, m. is a soldier. Being a soldier was generally not a lifetime career for a peasant. Peasants were usually conscripted and served in active duty for a specific term and then became reserve soldiers.

On a related topic...I would recommend that you complete your translation of records by translating Latin given names into the vernacular, which for those who did not emigrate from Poland would be Polish. No one was ever known in daily life by the Latin form of their given name. Latin was the language of the Roman Catholic Church and was used in sacramental records world wide until about 1968 (post-Vatican II). It really makes no sense to refer to someone by the Latin form of their given name—especially since that person probably was not aware of what their given name was in Latin. Let us take as examples two prominent political figures from US history who were Catholics and were born and baptized prior to 1968—President John Kennedy and his brother Robert. Who would even consider referring to them as Joannes Kennedy and Robertus Kennedy? So what is the point to using the Latin form of given names to identify ancestors from Partitioned Poland? The only justification I can see is to do so in databases to facilitate identification of names in the corresponding records. Once the person has been identified in a record it is more appropriate to refer to them by the vernacular form of their name which they actually used.

Time for me to get off that soapbox.

Dave

Vocabulary Distinguishing Classes of Peasants, Nobles & Clergy 2022, 1 June.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Vocabulary Distinguishing Classes of Peasants, Nobles & Clergy 2022, 1 June.pdf
 Filesize:  99.22 KB
 Downloaded:  134 Time(s)

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:29 am      Post subject: Re: Franciscus Chalupka - death 1856

Blue wrote:
Hi Dave
Can you please help me out with a few words for the last row of text?
I read it as follows:

Morbus: Dolor pe toris [?] = pain in the leg [?]
Certitudo de morte: information about the death: ab uxore Cunegunda = from his wife Cunegunda
Annotations: Pereliquit 4 minoremmes liberus [?] = he left behind four children [?]

Hi blue,

Re: Death of Franciszek Chałupka:

Morbus: dolor pectoris = a pain of the chest

Certitudo de Morte: ab uxore Cunegunda = by (his) wife Kunegunda/Kinga (Polish commonly used one of two forms of her given name. In Latin the name appears as a First Declension name, Cunegunda or as a Third Declension name, Cunegundis.)

Annotations: Dereliquit 4 minorennes liberos = he left behind (i.e. was survived by) 4 children not of legal age.
The verb to leave behind is derelinquo, derelinquere, dereliqui, derelictum. The form in the record is the 3rd Person Singular Perfect Indicative Active. The Perfect is the tense used for the historical past and is the tense found in vital record entries. The Perfect is formed from the 3rd Principal Part of a verb which n this case is dereliqui.

I hope this helps you.

Dave
Blue

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:27 pm      Post subject: Re: Franciscus Chalupka - death 1856

dnowicki wrote:
I hope this helps you. Dave

Thanks Dave. I appreciate all the information and the list of classes of people etc. I will try to use the Polish names for people from now on.
TedMack

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:47 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

I'll start with an apology for attaching so many at once, it's just that they were in the same parish and for the same family. If you could translate these at your leisure or as time permits that would be appreciated.

They are from Rychnow Parish for the Halka family (aka. Chalka or Chalcynski). Parents are Marcin and Jadwiga for the 1770's and his son Ignacy and Katarzyna (nee Cebulska) for those in the early 1800's.

Norbert & Jakob appear to be records for twins (second pair in 3 years) these records are hard to read due to the poor quality of the scans and folded page.

For Jan I think I may have the wrong one noted as record 8 - while I was cropping this I noticed that maybe I should be doing record 6, can you have a look and only translate the record for the Halka birth.

I've only sent the cropped records - if you require the full page let me know.

There are 3 more that I'll leave until you finish with these.

Cheers
Ted

Birth Tekla Halka 1803 - record 27 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.98 KB

Birth Tekla Halka 1803 - record 27 (crop).jpg

Birth Jan Halka 1777 - record 8 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  378.72 KB

Birth Jan Halka 1777 - record 8 (crop).jpg

Birth Norbert & Jakob Halka 1774 - record 3 & 4 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  227.49 KB

Birth Norbert & Jakob Halka 1774 - record 3 & 4 (crop).jpg

Blue

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:32 am      Post subject: Gottlieb Schaar and Elisabeth Zimoch - marriage 1871

Hi Dave.
Can you please help me to transcribe and translate the Latin marriage record for Gottlieb and Elisabeth? I read it as follows:

Col. 1: Nu currens = Number (for the year): 21

Col. 2: Annus Mensis et Dies = The Year, Month & Day [of the Marriage]: 16 Oct 1871

Col. 3: Nomen et Cognomen Copulantis = Given and Surname of the One Joining (them in Marriage): idem qui supra = same as above; ie Joannes Korylkowski ___, curatus

Col. 4: Nomen, Cognomen et conditio = The Given and Surnames, place of residence and status of the newlyweds:

Col. 4a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: Deogratus [???] (Gottlieb) Schaar, filius Friedirici et Agathae Schaar, ____, hortulanorium = gardener, de Trzcinica, juvenis

Col. 4b: Sponsæ = Of the Bride: Elisabeth Zimoch, filia Josephi et Joannae Zimoch ___, hortulanorium, de Laski, virgi

Col. 5: Utrum liberi out vider [?] = Widow & Widower or Single: both single

Col. 6: Aetas = Age
Col. 6a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: 29
Col. 6b: Sponsæ = Of the Bride: 28

Col. 7: Religio = Religion
Col. 7a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: Cath[olic]
Col. 7b: Sponsæ = Of the Bride: Cath[olic]

Col. 8: Dies Proclamationus Bannorum = Day of the Announcement of the Banns: D___ XXII, XXIII, is XIX ____ = 22nd, 23rd, 19th

Col. 9: Utrum Dispensatio erat = Whether a Dispensation May Have Been (Granted): Nulli = no

Col. 10: Nomen, Cognomen et Condiito Testium = The Given and Surname of the Witnesses: Michael Olynik, hortulan., de Snurclzy [?]; Simon Zimoch, hortulan., de Laski

Col. 11: Consensius parentum Vel Tutorum = On the part of the parents (who were) present gave consent: ____ consensus ____ = parents gave consent [?]

Gottlieb Schaar and Elisabeth Zimoch - marriage 1871.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  230.57 KB

Gottlieb Schaar and Elisabeth Zimoch - marriage 1871.png

td85

Replies: 20

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:57 am      Post subject:

Hello, I hope everyone here's doing well! I could use a little help reading this death document for one of my great-grandmothers. I think the cause of death is something to do with freezing? Thank you!

e8bb9588-82c9-46ab-a28e-c2f97ca0486a (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.87 KB

e8bb9588-82c9-46ab-a28e-c2f97ca0486a (1).jpg

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 240, 241, 242 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 241 of 274

Jump to: