PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 39

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:38 pm      Post subject: Seeking Photos / Sources about Chernihiv (Czernihów)

Hi all,

I am trying to locate any images or histories with information on the Polish population that once lived in Chernihiv (Czernihów) Ukraine.

I am especially looking for texts, old photos or maps with info on their roman catholic church, built in 1857/8 and shuttered in 1935 according to one online citation I cannot locate. I have the current address of what should be the remaining facade at 31 P'yatnyts'ka St, but need the background.

Any info about local photographers or history before 1890 might be useful too. Resources in Polish, Ukrainian or Russian are acceptable.

Thanks,
K.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:47 am      Post subject: Re: Seeking Photos / Sources about Chernihiv (Czernihów)

Kim K wrote:
Hi all,

I am trying to locate any images or histories with information on the Polish population that once lived in Chernihiv (Czernihów) Ukraine.

I am especially looking for texts, old photos or maps with info on their roman catholic church, built in 1857/8 and shuttered in 1935 according to one online citation I cannot locate. I have the current address of what should be the remaining facade at 31 P'yatnyts'ka St, but need the background.

Any info about local photographers or history before 1890 might be useful too. Resources in Polish, Ukrainian or Russian are acceptable.

Thanks,
K.

Hi,

I found a few things that may interest you, although not quite getting at exactly what you are searching for.

First, there is an entry for Czernihów in the Slownik Geograficzny:
http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_I/826
This link takes you to page 826. The entry for Czernihów begins at the very bottom of the left-hand column, and continues all the way to page 829, but not all of that is necessary for you to translate. You can page forward by clicking on "nastepna strona" and backward by clicking on "poprzednia strona." If you look at page 827, about midway down the left-hand column, there are italicized words "Gubernia Czernihowska" and it is at this point that the text switches from talking about the city of Czernihów to the gubernia (governorate, which is a broader area) of Czernihów.
Reading this type of Polish text is beyond my abilities, but I am able to see (just above that switch to the gubernia) that there is mention of a catholic church, built in 1838, N.M.P. Jana Chrzciciela. Perhaps this is a predecessor to the church you are looking for?

Here is an "historical sketch" of the Dominican order on the Dniepr River, written in 1876. Czernihów is mentioned multiple times.
https://polona.pl/item/dominikanie-za-dnieprem-szkic-historyczny-przyczynek-do-missyi-oo-dominikanow-na-rusi,NjY4NDI1Mjk/4/#info:metadata

There are a few documents in the online Polish archives from the 1915-1917 era, you need to enter Czernihów as your search term here:
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/en/wyszukiwarka
and on the left, where it allows you to Filter The Results, you can select "only photos and scans". Again, I did not read them, but I paged through and some do include lists of Polish names. Not sure if this is of use to you.

Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
Kim K

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:39 pm      Post subject: Re: Seeking Photos / Sources about Chernihiv (Czernihów)

Sophia wrote:

I found a few things that may interest you, although not quite getting at exactly what you are searching for.

First, there is an entry for Czernihów in the Slownik Geograficzny:
http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_I/826

Reading this type of Polish text is beyond my abilities, but I am able to see (just above that switch to the gubernia) that there is mention of a catholic church, built in 1838, N.M.P. Jana Chrzciciela. Perhaps this is a predecessor to the church you are looking for?

There are a few documents in the online Polish archives from the 1915-1917 era, you need to enter Czernihów as your search term here:
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/en/wyszukiwarka
and on the left, where it allows you to Filter The Results, you can select "only photos and scans". Again, I did not read them, but I paged through and some do include lists of Polish names. Not sure if this is of use to you.

Best of luck in your search,
Sophia

Dzięki! St. John the Baptist is one of two names given in the citation I couldn't source. Two different foundation dates have also been floating around. I'm beginning to think that the structure I am looking for was indeed built in 1857 but replaced an earlier church, but couldn't find any confirmation of this. I will definitely go read that page.

And thank you for reminding me of szukajwarchiwach. I should have thought of checking that!
-Kim
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:31 am      Post subject: Re: Seeking Photos / Sources about Chernihiv (Czernihów)

Kim K wrote:

Dzięki! St. John the Baptist is one of two names given in the citation I couldn't source. Two different foundation dates have also been floating around. I'm beginning to think that the structure I am looking for was indeed built in 1857 but replaced an earlier church, but couldn't find any confirmation of this. I will definitely go read that page.

And thank you for reminding me of szukajwarchiwach. I should have thought of checking that!
-Kim

Hi Kim,

You are most welcome!

If you are an intrepid researcher (and I suppose that you are), here is another resource for you, The National Digital Library of Poland.

https://katalogi.bn.org.pl/discovery/search?query=any,contains,Czernih%C3%B3w&tab=LibraryCatalog&vid=48OMNIS_NLOP:48OMNIS_NLOP&lang=en&offset=0

One nice feature is that, in the left-hand column, you can fine-tune your search. For example, you may ask just for records written in Polish. In doing that, I came across one title that may be of interest, Polacy Czernihowszczyzny: historia i wspolczesnosc:

https://katalogi.bn.org.pl/discovery/fulldisplay?docid=alma991024723669705066&context=L&vid=48OMNIS_NLOP:48OMNIS_NLOP&lang=en&search_scope=NLOP_IZ_NZ&adaptor=Local%20Search%20Engine&tab=LibraryCatalog&query=any,contains,Czernih%C3%B3w&facet=lang,include,pol&offset=0

And you can see from that, that you will need to sign in (which I did not do) in order to access it.

I would also point you here:
https://publicdomainreview.org/collections/source/national-digital-library-of-poland
for the incredible list of links to "Other Sources" from around the world. Wow! Could be useful in so many ways.

Best of luck to you in your search,
Sophia
Kim K

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:27 pm      Post subject: Re: Seeking Photos / Sources about Chernihiv (Czernihów)

Sophia wrote:

If you are an intrepid researcher (and I suppose that you are), here is another resource for you, The National Digital Library of Poland.

I came across one title that may be of interest, Polacy Czernihowszczyzny: historia i wspolczesnosc:

https://katalogi.bn.org.pl/discovery/fulldisplay?docid=alma991024723669705066&context=L&vid=48OMNIS_NLOP:48OMNIS_NLOP&lang=en&search_scope=NLOP_IZ_NZ&adaptor=Local%20Search%20Engine&tab=LibraryCatalog&query=any,contains,Czernih%C3%B3w&facet=lang,include,pol&offset=0

Best of luck to you in your search,
Sophia

This looks good. Has anyone been able to register for a library card remotely? That is where I am getting stuck, both with the National Library and UJ's Library. Although from the looks of it, the text isn't digital, so I may be looking at having to put in an overseas ILL anyway...

-Kim
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:45 am      Post subject: Re: Seeking Photos / Sources about Chernihiv (Czernihów)

Kim K wrote:

This looks good. Has anyone been able to register for a library card remotely? That is where I am getting stuck, both with the National Library and UJ's Library. Although from the looks of it, the text isn't digital, so I may be looking at having to put in an overseas ILL anyway...

-Kim

Hi Kim,
You are right, this is not a digital text. I am seeing it on WorldCat:
https://www.worldcat.org/title/polacy-czernihowszczyzny-historia-i-wspczesno/oclc/1036699610&referer=brief_results
and I wonder whether such a rare book would be allowed to circulate through Inter-Library Loan. You might need a local Warsaw-based researcher to access it for you.
On the other hand, with what appears to be a very recent publication date (2018), you might try contacting the publisher and seeing whether it is possible to purchase a copy.
Good luck,
Sophia

Tytuł: Polacy Czernihowszczyzny : historia i współczesność / Barbara Januszkiewicz.
Twórca: Januszkiewicz, Barbara (filolog) Autor. Wydawca
Opis fizyczny: 208 stron : fotografie, mapy, portrety, wykresy ; 24 cm.
Wydawca: Przemyśl ; Jarosław : Barbara Januszkiewicz
Data publikacji: 2018
Uwaga: Bibliografia, netografia na stronach 180-208.
Forma i typ: Książki
Publikacje naukowe
Temat: 1801-1900
1901-2000
2001-
Organizacje polonijne
Polacy za granicą
Czernihów (Ukraina, obw. czernihowski)
Monografia
Dziedzina i ujęcie: Historia
Socjologia i społeczeństwo
Identyfikator
ISBN : 9788395036002
OCLC : (OCoLC)1036699610
Bibliografia: UWD 2018/12680
UKD: 323.15(=162.1)
94(477)"18"
94(477)"19"
Język: polski
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: