PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 24

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:36 am      Post subject: German baptism translation

Requesting translation of German baptismal record

1803 baptism
Antonius Josephus Franciscus ANDERMANN
Weigelsdorf / Reichenbach / Breslau / Schlesien

Family search link for the index associated with baptism:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6ZXS-FN11

Thanks so much for your time & efforts

antoni_andermann_baptismal_190.jpeg
 Description:
Replaced PDF with JPEG
 Filesize:  1.34 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

antoni_andermann_baptismal_190.jpeg

AntoniusAndermann baptismal.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  AntoniusAndermann baptismal.pdf
 Filesize:  1.35 MB
 Downloaded:  72 Time(s)

Kmichael8

Replies: 547

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:12 am      Post subject: Re: German baptism translation

yapper wrote:
Requesting translation of German baptismal record

1803 baptism
Antonius Josephus Franciscus ANDERMANN

Family search link for the index associated with baptism:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6ZXS-FN11

Thanks so much for your time & efforts

Hello,

Please find attached the translation.

No. 4, the M. indicating a male child.

Weigelsdorff, on December 25 [1803] to the inhabitant [Inwohner] Christoph Andermann and his wife [Ehewirthin] Theresia born Mückin [The suffix “in” indicating a female person, hence the name was probably Mück or Mücke.] a young son was baptized Antonius Josephus Franciscus by P. [Pater or priest] Edmundus Adolph. Godparents were the maiden [Jungfer] Magdalena, the legitimate daughter of the master carpenter and glazier Werner Freigärtner. George Englisch and Joseph Mildner, the two of them famer and all three from Weigelsdorff.
Born the same day at 2 o’clock in the morning.

Best regards,
Michael
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:35 am      Post subject:

Hi Michael,
This translation is part of a longer thread, which Yapper has on the forum.
I looked at Meyer's Gazetteer, and I think that this Weigelsdorf is not the one in Reichenbach, Breslau, Schlesien but rather the one in Münsterberg, Breslau, Schlesien, Preussen, based on looking at the map and judging by the proximity of other towns listed on this same page of the church book (Nieder Kunzendorf and Tschammerhof).
https://s.meyersgaz.org/search?search=weigelsdorf
What do you think?
Sophia
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:15 am      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
Hi Michael,
I looked at Meyer's Gazetteer, and I think that this Weigelsdorf is not the one in Reichenbach, Breslau, Schlesien but rather the one in Münsterberg, Breslau, Schlesien, Preussen, based on looking at the map and judging by the proximity of other towns listed on this same page of the church book (Nieder Kunzendorf and Tschammerhof).
What do you think?
Sophia

Hi Sophia,

Looking at the other places mentioned in the church book I would support your assumption that this Weigelsdorf is not the one in Reichenbach but the one in Münsterberg.

According to Meyer's Gazetteer Weigelsdorf, Münsterberg had a Catholic parish church. Franz Mücke was buried by Caplan or chaplain Preuss, this being a Catholic church office and hence supporting the assumption that the church records are from Weigelsdorf, Münsterberg.

Best,
Michael
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:34 am      Post subject:

Kmichael8 wrote:
Sophia wrote:
Hi Michael,
What do you think?
Sophia

Hi Sophia,

Looking at the other places mentioned in the church book I would support your assumption that this Weigelsdorf is not the one in Reichenbach but the one in Münsterberg.

According to Meyer's Gazetteer Weigelsdorf, Münsterberg had a Catholic parish church. Franz Mücke was buried by Caplan or chaplain Preuss, this being a Catholic church office and hence supporting the assumption that the church records are from Weigelsdorf, Münsterberg.

Best,
Michael

Thanks, Michael.
It appears that the indexer who put this information into the Family Search index made an error.
Best,
Sophia
yapper

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:38 am      Post subject: Marriage translation

Michael & Sophia,

Wonderful to have more clues to solving my ancestor's puzzle - Antoine was a carpenter himself (built Catholic chapel along the German coast of southern Louisiana in 1840s) so thinking maybe he was an apprentice to Freigartner??

You have been so kind to translate the baptism that if/when time permits could you also translate the marriage record?? thanks in advance!

1803 marriage
Johann Christoph Andermann
Maria Theresia Muckin

Here is the link for the indexed record of the 1803 marriage:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6ZXS-KHXS

marriage_record_184.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.46 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

marriage_record_184.jpeg

Kmichael8

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:35 am      Post subject: Re: Marriage translation

yapper wrote:
Michael & Sophia,

Wonderful to have more clues to solving my ancestor's puzzle - Antoine was a carpenter himself (built Catholic chapel along the German coast of southern Louisiana in 1840s) so thinking maybe he was an apprentice to Freigartner??

You have been so kind to translate the baptism that if/when time permits could you also translate the marriage record?? thanks in advance!

1803 marriage
Johann Christoph Andermann
Maria Theresia Muckin

Here is the link for the indexed record of the 1803 marriage:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6ZXS-KHXS

Hello yapper,

The translation:

Weigelsdorff, on November 8 [1803], Johann Christoph Andermann, legitimate son of the deceased gardener [Freigärtner] Johann Christoph Andermann from Weigelsdorff and Maria Theresia Mücke, legitimate daughter of the inhabitant [Inwohner] Franz Mücke from Weigelsdorff were married by priest Edmundus Adolph. Witnesses were Joseph Spillmann and Christoph Gruhner, the two of them farmers from here [i.e. Weigelsdorff]. The groom old 26 the bride 18 years.

In Silesia you will find often this combination: Bauer [farmer], Gärtner [gardener, owning a house and a garden, i.e. some land], Häusler [cottager, owning a house and more or less no land], Inwohner [inhabitant, living in a rented house, flat or just a room]. The farmer earned his living from his farm, all the others had to work additionally as day laborers or craftsmen. Especially "Inwohner" are sometimes referred to as inhabitants, sometimes as craftsmen.

Rereading the baptismal record I wonder whether Edmundus Adolph – and I with him – got it wrong when he mentioned the maiden Magdalena Wernern, the legitimate daughter of the gardener [Freigärtner], master carpenter and glazier – and forgot to mention the name of Magdalena’s father. So her name is Magdalena Wernern or Werner and not Magdalena Freigärtner.

Best regards,
Michael
yapper

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:11 am      Post subject: Many many thanks

Michael you are amazing! For 20 years, I have been searching for my elusive ancestor Antoine Andermann - the nuggets that I have found along the way have finally turned to gold - my family will be ecstatic when I share this information with them Arrow Rolling Eyes Surprised Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: