PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 243, 244, 245 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:12 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Thanks for the 'Halka' translations most helpful.

I have another 2 baptisms for translations please when time permits - another Halka record in 1754 from Rychnow parish and a Krawczyk record from Wrząca Wielka parish. I've only included the cropped records and if required can provide the full page.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

Here are the two B&B records.

Józef & Franciszek (Twins):

#4 Rychnów
On the 15th day (the month would be found earlier on the page) I, the same who is above, baptized two sons, twins, of the legitimate marriage of the industrious Roch, a cottager, and of Maryanna. The name of one was Józef, whose sponsors were Marcin Chałka and Lucja Dąbowska, (and) of the other Franciszek, whose sposors were Bartłomiej, a servant of the parish priest and Agnieszka Sołtynka*, all from the village of Rychnów.

Note; *Sołtynka: the name indicates that her father was a soltys, a village adninistrator.

B&B of Marcelli (a male child)

Kiełczewo Smużme. On the 25th day of February I baptized an infant by the name of Marceli, the son of the of the legitimate marriage of the industrious Norbert and Maryanna whose sponsors were the industrious Stanisław and Rozalia, both from Kiełczewo Smużme.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:15 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

A couple of weeks ago you helped me solve my roadblock of not being able to locate my 3xGGF's death record - it should have been under Andrzej Mackowski but was recorded as Andrzej Maciaszek. While I was looking for another 3xGGF's marriage record (Ignacy Chalka) I came across the attached marriage record which appears to be possible Andrzej's brother (Kasper) marriage record - it appears that Kasper was a widower aged over 60(?) and his wife a widow over 45(?). It is the last record on the 29 January 1804 - record 2.

Hopefully it may contain some clues.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

Outside of the basic facts about the couple and the witnesses the majority of the entry deals with the legalities, showing that all the legal requirements were observes, as was typical for entries of this time and place.

The translation follows.

Dave

Left Margin: 29 January #2
Body of Entry: Rychnów. In the same year, after the three banns had been promulgated on individual Sundays and since no impediment had been detected, the same who is above ratified the marriage between Kacper Maciaszek, a widower, and Franciszka Krawczykowna, a widow, in the presence of Walenty Walaszek, Andrzej Jachimiak, Andrzej Maciaszek and their spouses and other trustworthy witnesses.

Col. 7: a widower 60 years of age; a widow 45 years of age: Checked
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:20 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

I have located the death record for Kacper Maciaszak, but I don't think it contains much valuable information and just states he was buried in the cemetery. I think it basically says he died (unable to obtain the day due to the tight binding) and he was 58yo. That would be suitable for Kacper to be Andrzej's older brother but I can't confirm with a birth record as it would be 2 years before the available records on line. It looks like he died of Dysentery (?) - last column. Hopefully the marriage record may shed some light.

Can you please translate.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

You dug out most of the info from the entry and you are correct that it does not contain much valuable information. Anyway, the translation follows.

Dave

Death of Kacper Maciaszek

Left Margin: February 2
Body of Entry: Rychnów. In the year as above after having been rightly fortified by all the Sacraments* Kacper Maciaszek, 58 years of age, died of dysentery (&) was buried towards the north (in the cemetery).

Note: *omnibus Sacramentis/by all the Sacraments: Confession, Communion, and the Anointing (Extreme Unction). Collectively these three were commonly known as the Last Rites.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:26 pm      Post subject: Re: Joseph Schaar - Death 1895

Blue wrote:
Hi Dave.
Can you please help me with the death record for Joseph Schaar?
I read it as follows:

Page: 315-316
Nus currens = Act number for the year: 23
Obitus Annus et Mensis. The year and month of death: February 1895
Dies. Day: 19
In quo loco. Place of death: Ignacowka
Nomen et Cognomen, Mortis. Name and surname of deceased: Josephus
Aetas. Age:
Anni. Years: 1
Menses. Months:
Dies. Days:
Status vel conditio mortui = status of the deceased: as above; ie infans = baby
Conditio et professio Patris. Condition and occupation of the father: operanius = work man
Nomen et Cognomen Patris. Name of father: Robertus Szaar
Nomen et Cognomen Matris. Name of mother: Elizabeth Hefanska / Stefanska [?]
Il/Legitimate pueri / puellae: Legitimately born male.
Causa Mortis / Morbus. Cause of death / disease: dip___ritis = diphtheria ?
Certitudo de morte: information about the death: a sorore Marianna = from his sister Marianna
Adnotationes. Notes: [blank]

Hi blue,

You did very well. Most of your errors involve incorrect transcriptions. Two related words which seem to cause difficulties are the noun mors, mortis, f. death and mortuus, mortui, the deceased, which is the Perfect Participle of the Deponent verb morior, mori, mortuum, to die. Deponent verbs “lay aside” their active voice forms and use passive voice forms with an active meaning. Since participles are verbal adjectives, like other adjectives, they can be used as substantives, which is the case here where mortuus des not just mean “dead” but is used as a noun, “the deceased”.

A note about the Polish Alphabet...The Polish Alphabet uses the Roman/Latin Alphabet. However, the letters q, v and x are not found in pure Polish words. Polish adds letters to the Roman/Latin Alphabet by the use of diacritical marks. Letters with diacritical marks are separate and distinct letters from the corresponding letter without a diacritical mark (e.g. o & ó, n & ń, z & ż are all separate and distinct letters which have their own pronunciation). A correct translation should include the diacritical marks. There are several ways to insert letters with diacritical marks without using a Polish keyboard. The simplest methods are to insert characters in whatever word program one is using or to use the windows character map or to open the character viewer in Mac.

The corrections follow.

Dave

Page: 315-316
N(umer)us currens = Act number for the year: 23
Obitus Annus et Mensis. The year and month of death: February 1895
Dies. Day: 19
In quo loco. Place of death (lit.:In what place): Ignacówka
Nomen et Cognomen Mortui. Name and surname of deceased: Josephus = Joseph/Józef
Aetas. Age:
Anni. Years: 1
Menses. Months:
Dies. Days:
Status vel conditio mortui = status of the deceased: as above; ie infans = infant
Conditio et professio Patris. Condition and occupation of the father: operanius = work man for a set wage
Nomen et Cognomen Patris. Name of father: Robertus Szaar = Robert Szaar
Nomen et Cognomen Matris. Name of mother: Elizabeth/Elżbieta Stefańska
Il/Legitimate pueri / puellae: Legitimately born male.
Causa Mortis / Morbus. Cause of death / disease: diphteriia = diphtheria
Certitudo de morte: certainty about the death: a sorore Marianna = from (his} sister Marianna
Adnotationes. Notes: [blank]
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:42 pm      Post subject: Re: Baptism translation

blkspdr11 wrote:
Looking to translate a Baptism record that is my grandfathers.

Hi,

In the translation given names are first translated into their Polish version followed by their English version.

If perchance you need to contact the parish here is a link to the contact info: https://wilczyska-wiz.diecezja.tarnow.pl/#adres Older parish records are housed in the Archdiocesan Archive of Tarnów.

Attached is a picture of the church where your grandfather was baptized as well as a map showing the political divisions of Poland as they were at the end of WWII.

The translation follows.

Wishing you successful researching,

Dave

Top of Certificate:
Left Side: Rzeszów Poland
Województwo/Province: Rzeszów
District/Powiat (County): Gorlice
Center: Number (of certificate issued): 48/45
Right Side: Diocese: Tarnów
Dekenat (Deanery): Bobowa
Parish: Wilczyska

Certificate of birth and of baptism

The parish office of the Church of św. Stanisława BM (St. Stanislaus Bishop & Martyr) in Wilczyska attests by thiss document to all and sundry of whom it is or may be of interest that in the baptismal registers of this church designated for the village of Chodorowa Volume II, Page 68, Number 3 is found the following:

In the year of Our Lord One Thousand Ninet Hundred Four, that is 1904 on the first day of the month of March was born on street: (Blank), and on the 6th day of of the same month was baptized by Rev. Artur(Arthur) illegible surname

Col. 1: Name of the one baptized: Józef Karol (two names)/ Joseph Charles (two names)
Col. 2: Religion: Roman Catholic
Col. 3: Sex/Gender: Masculine
Col. 4: The (marital) bed: Legitimate
Col. 5: PARENTS
Col. 5a: The Father: Józef (Joseph) Olszewski, the son of Jan (John) and of Maria née Serafin
Col. 5b: The Mother: Aniela (Angela) Serafin, the daughter of Wawrzyniec (Lawrence) and of Wiktoria (Victoria) née Szczepanek
Col 6: The Sponsors: Jan (John) Serafin; Maria Michalek, the wife of Kazimierz (Casimir)
Col. 7 Notation: No notation regarding marriage

Note: He was confirmed in 1916 (In Polish)

In testimony of which I sign this certificate with my own had and affirm it with the seal of the parish church.

By the parish office of Wilczyska on the 3rd day of March of the year 1945

Signature of the parish pastor with the parish seal and two revenue stamps.

Screenshot 2022-09-02 130505.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  208.85 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Screenshot 2022-09-02 130505.png

PRL_1968_adm.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.68 MB

PRL_1968_adm.png

Blue

Replies: 68

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:33 am      Post subject: Re: Joseph Schaar - Death 1895

dnowicki wrote:

Elizabeth/Elżbieta Stefańska

Hi Dave. Thanks for your corrections and all your advice. I really do appreciate it.

Can I please also ask you about the surname of Elżbieta Stefańska? In the other records I have about Elżbieta, her maiden surname is recorded as various versions of Oszczeda / Osczenda / Oscenda / Elstenda.

I had assumed that Oszczeda / Osczenda / Oscenda are Polish versions, and that Elstenda is possibly a German variation of her name.

Is there any chance that Stefańska does translate to Oszczeda / Osczenda / Oscenda / Elstenda?
Blue

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:01 am      Post subject: Occupation of Adalbert/ Wojciech Grzonka

Hi Dave.

Can you please help me with the occupation of Adalbert Grzonka in the birth record for his daughter Maria? I think I can read everything except Adalbert's occupation.

To me, it looks something like custos an licus ?

Maria Grzonka - occupation of father.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  565.16 KB

Maria Grzonka - occupation of father.png

blkspdr11

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:13 am      Post subject:

Hi Dave,
Thank you for the translation.
According to the baptism record the person being baptized is Jozef Karol or Joseph Charles. It shows the father as Jozef Olszewski... This baptism record should be FOR Jozef Olszewski so that is a little confusing. I will have to do more digging on baptismal records during that time period.
Thank you again for the translation.

In the year of Our Lord One Thousand Ninet Hundred Four, that is 1904 on the first day of the month of March was born on street: (Blank), and on the 6th day of of the same month was baptized by Rev. Artur(Arthur) illegible surname

Col. 1: Name of the one baptized: Józef Karol (two names)/ Joseph Charles (two names)
Col. 3: Sex/Gender: Masculine
Col. 5a: The Father: Józef (Joseph) Olszewski, the son of Jan (John) and of Maria née Serafin
Col. 5b: The Mother: Aniela (Angela) Serafin, the daughter of Wawrzyniec (Lawrence) and of Wiktoria (Victoria) née Szczepanek
Col 6: The Sponsors: Jan (John) Serafin; Maria Michalek, the wife of Kazimierz (Casimir)
Col. 7 Notation: No notation regarding marriage
TedMack

Replies: 480

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:42 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

[quote="dnowicki"]
TedMack wrote:

Hi Ted,

Outside of the basic facts about the couple and the witnesses the majority of the entry deals with the legalities, showing that all the legal requirements were observes, as was typical for entries of this time and place.

The translation follows.

Dave

Left Margin: 29 January #2
Body of Entry: Rychnów. In the same year, after the three banns had been promulgated on individual Sundays and since no impediment had been detected, the same who is above ratified the marriage between Kacper Maciaszek, a widower, and Franciszka Krawczykowna, a widow, in the presence of Walenty Walaszek, Andrzej Jachimiak, Andrzej Maciaszek and their spouses and other trustworthy witnesses.

Col. 7: a widower 60 years of age; a widow 45 years of age: Checked

Thanks Dave
blkspdr11

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:40 pm      Post subject: Baptism Record - Zofia Wojciechowska

I would like this baptismal record of my grandmother translated. Thank you very much for the work that you do.

IMG_0523.HEIC-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.3 MB

IMG_0523.HEIC-2.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:20 pm      Post subject: Re: Joseph Schaar - Death 1895

Blue wrote:
dnowicki wrote:

Elizabeth/Elżbieta Stefańska

Hi Dave. Thanks for your corrections and all your advice. I really do appreciate it.

Can I please also ask you about the surname of Elżbieta Stefańska? In the other records I have about Elżbieta, her maiden surname is recorded as various versions of Oszczeda / Osczenda / Oscenda / Elstenda.

I had assumed that Oszczeda / Osczenda / Oscenda are Polish versions, and that Elstenda is possibly a German variation of her name.

Is there any chance that Stefańska does translate to Oszczeda / Osczenda / Oscenda / Elstenda?

Hi blue,

Stefańska is not another version/translation of Oszczęda/Osczenda/Oscenda. (The Polish letter ę is close enough in sound to the letters “en” that depending on the clarity of diction one sometimes is substituted for the other.) According to William F. Hoffman’s Polish Surnames: Origins and Meanings Oszczęda is derived from the verb osczędzać (to live frugally, to save money). In 1998 there were 352 individuals living in Poland who had the surname Oszczęda. Stefański comes from the given name Stefan (Stephen) so I don’t see any connection between the two surnames. Perhaps Michael could shed light on whether or not Elstenda is a German surname with a similar meaning to Oszczęda. Another consideration regarding the surname being entered as Stefańska is the informant—the sister of the deceased child. How old was Marianna at the time. Her age may be an indication of the reliability of her knowledge of her mother’s maiden name.

Maiden names of women can be somewhat less than reliable because it was not primary source/first hand information. The mother was usually not present for the baptism of her children and her maiden name was supplied by either her husband or the sponsors aka godparents. More often than not the mother was not the informant for the death of her children. (Of the 9 death records on the page you posted the mother was the informant twice, the father six times and a sister once.

Hands down the most reliable info about a woman’s maiden name is found in the marriage record where she herself provides that information.

Hoffman’s book was published by the Polish Genealogical Society of America https://pgsa.org/ If you want to purchase a copy, it is available on Amazon but also at a lesser price in the PGSA store. Currently the print version is not in stock but the electronic version is available on CD.

All the best,

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:23 pm      Post subject: Re: Occupation of Adalbert/ Wojciech Grzonka

Blue wrote:
Hi Dave.

Can you please help me with the occupation of Adalbert Grzonka in the birth record for his daughter Maria? I think I can read everything except Adalbert's occupation.

Hi again,

Wojciech/Adalbert’s occupation is custos aulicus which means “guard/custodian of the manor. The male sponsor’s occupation is villicus in aula which means “steward/overseer in the manor”. Aulicus is an adjective from the noun aula. Aula, aulae, f. is a word which comes from the Latin of antiquity. Originally it meant the forecourt of a Greek house and later took on the meaning of an inner court and a hall and a palace. In Post Classical Latin it was used to refer to a dwelling/habitation, a hall (usually of the wealthy). In the academic world of schools and universities it was used for a lecture hall or classroom. In Post Medieval Latin its meaning varied according to the place and the time. In records such as this it was used for a manor and/or a manor house. The Polish translation is dwór. According to the Słownik geograficzny (Volume XII, pages 547-548) http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_XII/548 Trzcinica was both a village and a manorial estate. During the late 19th Century the village had 77 houses and a population of 596 (504 Catholics, 85 Protestants and 7 Jews). The manorial estate had 7 houses with 104 inhabitants (56 Catholics and 52 Protestants).

I hope the above answers your question.

Dave

To me, it looks something like custos an licus ?
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:42 pm      Post subject: Re: Baptism Record

blkspdr11 wrote:
I would like this baptismal record of my grandmother translated. Thank you very much for the work that you do.

Hi,

Damage to the certificate makes a few names difficult to read with certainty...especially surnames which, of course, are not in Latin. It appears that the way in which the certificate was stored caused some of the handwritten and the printed text to transfer as a reverse/mirror image on to the document. A deliberate change to the doc is the number 725 which is superimposed over the Latin word for nine hundredth—nongentesimus. That number is obviously not part of the original document. A bit of background info...the lines in the background were a security measure designed to prevent changes to the date and year of birth. Over the years I have been asked to translate a few certificates where rhat data had been attempted to be changed by changing the Arabic numerals. Ah, but busted and disgusted...not changing the Latin longhand made the forgery obvious. Obviously not the case here.

On a different topic...If you haven’t seen this doc, here is a link to Peter & Sophia’s civil marriage license and return https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939K-BVDG-1?i=472&cc=1614804&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AZ8MB-K1W2 This doc gives Piotr/Peter’s parents names as Wawrzyniec/Lawrence Hreben and Anna Sanko which would help to determine whether any of the Hreben individuals Monika found are his siblings.

And another topic...when you are requesting a translation it is much better to post the request in the thread for the language in which the doc is written rather than as a new topic. The only reason that I saw this request was because it ended up next to the Latin thread. The same advice would hold true for the Russian doc you posted. Marcel is more likely to see your request in the Russian thread than as a new topic which can easily get lost in the shuffle.

The translation follows.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Left Side: Republic of Poland
Województwo/Province: Kraków
District/Powiat (County): Blank
Center: Number (of certificate issued): 307
Right Side: Diocese: Tarnów
Dekenat (Deanery): Grybów
Parish: Grybów

Certificate of birth and of baptism

The parish office of the Church of św. Katarzyna (St. Catherine) attests by this document to all and sundry of whom it is or may be of interest that in the baptismal registers of this church designated for the village of Siołkowa Volume V, Page 142, Number 13 is found the following:

In the year of Our Lord One Thousand Nine Hundred Twenty-three, that is 1923 on the twenty-sixth day of the month of April was born in house number 20, and on the 28th day (of of the same month) was baptized by Rev. Jan (John) Kozioł, assistant of this place.

Col. 1: Name of the one baptized: Zofia (Sophia)
Col. 3: Sex/Gender: Female
Col. 5a: The Father: Jan (John) (?) (difficult to be sure because of fold) Wojciechiwski, the son of Bernard (same spelling both in Polish & in English) and of Maria ????owska, a gardener*
Col 6: The Sponsors: Maria Kielbasa and Jan (John) Obrzut
CCol. 5b: The Mother: Maria Obrzut, the daughter of Karol (Charles/Carl) and of Katarzyna (Catherine) Starzkowska(?)
ol. 7 Notation: Blank

Note: She was confirmed on 8 April 1947
Parish seal & 10 złoty revenue stamp

The midwife was Zofia (Sophia) illegible surname

In testimony of which I sign this certificate with my own had and affirm it with the seal of the parish church.

Given at Grybów 7 March 1949

Signed Jan (John) Solak, pastor of (this) place

Note: *hortulanus/gardener: a technical category which shows Jan/John’s status in terms of land owned. A hortulanus/gardener owned his cottage and enough land for a garden and, perhaps to keep some farm animals but not enough land for field crops.
blkspdr11

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:17 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for the translation.
I really thought I put the Hreben document in the Russian translation tab.
Blue

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:12 pm      Post subject: Re: Joseph Schaar - Death 1895

dnowicki wrote:
... Stefańska is not another version/translation of Oszczęda/Osczenda/Oscenda...

... Hoffman’s book was published by the Polish Genealogical Society of America https://pgsa.org/...

Hi Dave. Thanks for the information about Elźbieta's surname. I had a look at the informant, Marianna, and she was 19 years old and the half-sister of Joseph, so it does seem reasonable that Marianna may not have known the surname of her step-mother Elźbieta.

I also had a look at the website for Hoffman's book, and I became distracted while looking at all the resources on that website - it is fantastic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 243, 244, 245 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 244 of 274

Jump to: