PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:57 am      Post subject: Jvaboska?

Hello,

I found a marriage record (#764) for two of my relatives. It looks the surname of the wife's mother is "Jvaboska", but I haven't had any luck searching for that spelling. Is it possible that it could have been Żabowska?

Thank you for any assistance!

Jvaboska.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.19 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Jvaboska.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:52 am      Post subject: Re: Jvaboska?

EmmaZ wrote:
Hello,

I found a marriage record (#764) for two of my relatives. It looks the surname of the wife's mother is "Jvaboska", but I haven't had any luck searching for that spelling. Is it possible that it could have been Żabowska?

Hi EmmaZ,
Your suggestion of Żabowska is perfectly reasonable.
It appears to me that this typewritten record is based on someone reading handwritten records. You can spot the "giveaway" in the name in the surname of the bride, "Biatobrzeska." The fourth letter is not a T, it is an Ł which to someone unfamiliar with the Polish alphabet, or perhaps unfamiliar with Polish handwriting, would easily misinterpret as a T.
I would change the spelling of many of the names that I see there (Aleksander, Franciszka, etc).
Is Żabowska a name you were expecting? Or are you completely unsure what the name might be? If you can obtain the underlying document (a handwritten marriage certificate) then we can help decipher the writing.
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:32 pm      Post subject: Re: Jvaboska?

Sophia wrote:
EmmaZ wrote:
Hello,

Hi EmmaZ,
It appears to me that this typewritten record is based on someone reading handwritten records. You can spot the "giveaway" in the name in the surname of the bride, "Biatobrzeska." The fourth letter is not a T, it is an Ł which to someone unfamiliar with the Polish alphabet, or perhaps unfamiliar with Polish handwriting, would easily misinterpret as a T.
I would change the spelling of many of the names that I see there (Aleksander, Franciszka, etc).
Is Żabowska a name you were expecting? Or are you completely unsure what the name might be? If you can obtain the underlying document (a handwritten marriage certificate) then we can help decipher the writing.

Hi Sophia & Emma Z,

My suggestion would be to obtain a copy of the record as found in the ecclesiastical marriage register of the parish. Fr. Dylla was pastor of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in New Bedford, MA at the time of the wedding. The parish closed at the end of January of this year. However, the parish registers are housed either in a neighboring parish or in the Archives of the Diocese of Fall River. Here is a link to the diocese: https://www.fallriverdiocese.org/dfr-today/ The contact info for the diocese includes an email address as well as a phone number so I would recommend contacting the diocese to learn where the records are housed and then move on to your request. Fr. Dylla was pastor of the parish, which was a Polish ethnic parish, and he obviously spoke Polish so the info in the register would contain correct spellings even if the civil license does not.

Wishing you success,

Dave
Sophia
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 295

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:34 pm      Post subject: Re: Jvaboska?

dnowicki wrote:
Sophia wrote:
EmmaZ wrote:
Hello,

Hi EmmaZ,

Hi Sophia & Emma Z,

My suggestion would be to obtain a copy of the record as found in the ecclesiastical marriage register of the parish. Fr. Dylla was pastor of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in New Bedford, MA at the time of the wedding. The parish closed at the end of January of this year. However, the parish registers are housed either in a neighboring parish or in the Archives of the Diocese of Fall River. Here is a link to the diocese: https://www.fallriverdiocese.org/dfr-today/ The contact info for the diocese includes an email address as well as a phone number so I would recommend contacting the diocese to learn where the records are housed and then move on to your request. Fr. Dylla was pastor of the parish, which was a Polish ethnic parish, and he obviously spoke Polish so the info in the register would contain correct spellings even if the civil license does not.

Wishing you success,

Dave
Sophia

Hi EmmaZ, Sophia, and Dave,

I believe this is the original handwritten record for the marriage record. Maybe it might help with figuring out the correct surname.

Hope this helps!
Trish

Marriage Record.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.8 MB

Marriage Record.jpg

EmmaZ

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:53 pm      Post subject: Re: Jvaboska?

Thank you all very much for your help! I don't have any information on Franciszka's side of the family currently, so I've been trying to search Ancestry and Genealodzy with some spelling variations.
I've contacted the Diocese about the parish registers.
EmmaZ

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:42 am      Post subject: Re: Jvaboska?

Update: Someone at the church was able to find the record, and I think the surname is actually Grabowski.

AlexFrances.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  280.16 KB

AlexFrances.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:28 pm      Post subject: Re: Jvaboska?

EmmaZ wrote:
Update: Someone at the church was able to find the record, and I think the surname is actually Grabowski.

Hi EmmaZ.

Her mother’s maiden name was definitely Grabowska. Frances/Franciszka’s parents were Francis/Franciszek Białobrzeski and Ewa/Eve Grabowska. The church record also contains a valuable piece of info for further research. She was from the parish of Rzekuń in powiat (county) Ostrolecki (cf. attached map). Unfortunately, not many records from that parish have been indexed on Geneteka. I was not able to find her B&B record in the internal indexes for the years 1893 & 1894 of the parish books which are available on Family Search. However, the marriage record of her younger sister Genowefa/Genevieve to Antoni Józef Władysławski on 4 February 1925 was indexed on Geneteka and I downloaded and attached it (Akt 5). According to that record her father, Franciszek, was deceased but her mother was still living when she married. I did the math and located her birth record.
Here is the link to that record. B&B Genowefa Białobrzeska (Akt 51) https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9Y7-1SG8-Y?i=209&cat=2789111

Wishing you continued success,

Dave

_026_1925.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.03 MB

_026_1925.jpg

record-image_.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  960 KB

record-image_.jpg

45.Ostrolecki.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.45 KB

45.Ostrolecki.jpg

EmmaZ

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:00 pm      Post subject: Re: Jvaboska?

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for the information!

Emma
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: