PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 244, 245, 246 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 68

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:22 pm      Post subject: Thomas Oscenda - birth 1818

Hi Dave
I have found so much information on the pgsa.org website - thanks again for all the advice you provide.

I have another birth record, which I am struggling to read. It is the first entry. The best I can do is as follows:

Jacobus Mucha, Parochus

Skrobek Wiatrak Mielenuis / Milencin [?]
Anno Dni 1818 Die 12 Novembris ___ Joannes Kia__anke Parochus et Archpnuesbiter Bralin___ ne Thomarn, filium legitime ____ Thomie Oszerzdia moleioris ___ 38 an et Catharince Gronzanka ___ 28 ann ____

Thomas Oscenda - birth 1818.jpg.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.53 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Thomas Oscenda - birth 1818.jpg.png

TedMack

Replies: 479

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:27 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

Some more translations from the Rychnow parish when you have time. Now that I know that a different surname was used prior to about 1820 I have now found more siblings which I think may now complete the family - still have one to research from Tursko parish which maybe the first born.

Also I have the birth record from Zbyszyce parish for Juliana Szablowski the Rychnow Curates sister who married into the family - I can read most of it just need assistance with the "Conditio".

Cheers
Ted

Birth Antoni Maciaszek 1809 - record 7 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.63 KB

Birth Antoni Maciaszek 1809 - record 7 (crop).jpg

Birth Katarzyna Maciaszek 1811 - record 5 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  142.26 KB

Birth Katarzyna Maciaszek 1811 - record 5 (crop).jpg

Death Katarzyna Maciaszek 1813 - record 18 pg2 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.91 KB

Death Katarzyna Maciaszek 1813 - record 18 pg2 (crop).jpg

Birth Julianna Szablowski 1802 - record 41 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  260.53 KB

Birth Julianna Szablowski 1802 - record 41 (2).jpg

tubson

Replies: 15

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:31 am      Post subject:

Could someone help me understand what the Masculi Legitimi column means in this death record? Does it refer to the number of siblings of the deceased or does it refer to the number of children they had? Or is it something else entirely?

record-image_.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.27 MB

record-image_.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:18 pm      Post subject:

tubson wrote:
Could someone help me understand what the Masculi Legitimi column means in this death record? Does it refer to the number of siblings of the deceased or does it refer to the number of children they had? Or is it something else entirely?

Hi tubson,

Those columns contain information which is completely different from what you suggest. They deal with the status of the deceased in terms of legitimacy broken down into the categories of male and female. Sometimes the priest simply checked the appropriate column but sometimes (as is the case here) the priest entered a number which was a running tally of the number of deaths in the parish for the year in the pertinent category. If you look at the entire page the numbers in the columns for legitimate males and legitimate females increase with each entry for the particular category.

Here follows the translation of the column headings from a template I created to eliminate repetitive typing when I translate such records.

German Partition Death Template 1

Col. 1: Numerus = Number (in order for the year):
Col. 2a: Annus et Mensis = Year and Month:
Col. 2b: Dies Obitus: Day of Death
Col. 3: In quo loco = In which place (place of death):
Col. 4: Nomen et Cognomen = First and Surname the deceased):
Col. 5: Aetas = Age
Col. 5a: Annus = Year(s):
Col. 5b: Mensis = Month(s):
Col. 5c: Dies = Day(s):
Col. 6: Conditio = Condition/Status/Occupation (of the deceased):
Col. 7: Conditio et Professio Patris = Condition/Status and Profession of the Father:
Col. 8: Nomen et Cognomen = Given and Surname
Col. 8a: Patris = of the Father:
Col. 8b: Matris = of the Mother:
Col. 9: Masculi = Males
Col. 9a: Legitimi = Legitimate:
Col. 9b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate:
Col. 10: Feminae = Females
Col. 10a: Legitimae = Legitimate:
Col. 10b: Illegitimae = Illegitimate:
Col. 11: Morbus = Disease:
Col. 12 Unde putet curato personam defunctam esse eandem sicut ipse relatum = Whence/from whom/how was it clear to the curate that the deceased person is the same as is reported:

I hope that you find this helpful.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:21 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Some more translations from the Rychnow parish when you have time. Now that I know that a different surname was used prior to about 1820 I have now found more siblings which I think may now complete the family - still have one to research from Tursko parish which maybe the first born.

Also I have the birth record from Zbyszyce parish for Juliana Szablowski the Rychnow Curates sister who married into the family - I can read most of it just need assistance with the "Conditio".

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

Here are the translations.

Dave

1802 Julianna

Col. 1 N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order: 41
Col. 2: 1802 Dies et Mensis = Day and Month:
Col. 2a: Nat(ivitatis) = of birth:n 18 May
Col. 2b: Bapt(ismi) = of baptism: 18 May
Col. 3: N(ume)ro Domus = at house number: 20
Col. 4: Nomen Baptisati = Name of person baptized: Julianna
Col. 5: Religio = Religion
Col. 5a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 5b: Acatholica= Non-Catholic: Blank
MartaCol. 6: Sexus = Sex/Gender
Col. 6a: Puer = Boy: Blank
Col. 6b: Puella = Girl: Checked
Col. 7: Thori = of the (marital) bed
Col. 7a: Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 7b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank
Col. 8: PARENTES = PARENTS
Col. 8a: PATRIS ac parentum nomen, cognomen et conditio ejus = The name of the father and the first and surname of his parents (i.e. the paternal grandparents of the child) and his condition/status/occupation: Paweł Szabla, the father
Col. 8b: MATRIS ac parentum nomen, cognomen et conditio = The name of the mother and also the first and surnames of her parents (i.e. the maternal grandparents of the child) and their condition/status/occupation: Marta, born of the father Podolski, the mother
Col. 9: PATRINI = Sponsors EORUM = Their
Col. 9a: Nomen et Cognomen = First and Surname(s): Franciszka Janowska; Teresa Zarębigka(?), a maiden
Col. 9b: Conditio = Condition/Occupation/ Status: Nobles

1809 B & B Antoni

Left Col.: 14 June
Body of Entry: Rychnów. In the same year I, the same who is above, baptized an infant by the name of Antoni, the son of the legal marriage of the industrious Andrzej Macaszczyk and of Maryanna. The sponsors were Maciej Michalak, a single young man with Agnieszka, the consort of Stefan.

1811 B & B of Katarzyna

Left Col: 30 April
Body of Entry: Rychnów. In the same year I, the same who is above, baptized an infant to whom the name Katarzyna was given, born the same day at about the 3rd hour in the morning, the daughter of the legal marriage of the industrious Andrzej and Maryanna Macaszczyk. The sponsors were Marcin Szurmińsk(?), the organist of Rychnów, with Agnieszka, the consort of Stefan, a tenant.

1813 D & B of Katarzyna

Col. 1: Date cut off due to tight binding
Col. 2: 5
Col. 3: Rychnów. An infant by the name of Katarzyna, two years of age, the daughter of the Maciaszyks, died due to the pox and was buried on the 6th dayof the same month towards the south in the Cemetery.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:46 am      Post subject: Re: Thomas Oscenda - birth 1818

Blue wrote:
Hi Dave
I have found so much information on the pgsa.org website - thanks again for all the advice you provide.

I have another birth record, which I am struggling to read. It is the first entry. The best I can do is as follows:

Jacobus Mucha, Parochus

Skrobek Wiatrak Mielenuis / Milencin [?]
Anno Dni 1818 Die 12 Novembris ___ Joannes Kia__anke Parochus et Archpnuesbiter Bralin___ ne Thomarn, filium legitime ____ Thomie Oszerzdia moleioris ___ 38 an et Catharince Gronzanka ___ 28 ann ____

Hi blue,

The likely reason that you had difficulty reading the record is that many of the words in the entry are abbreviated and/or truncated. The standard signs that a word has been truncated are the semicircle above a word and the squiggle at the end of a word. The ending -ensis attached to a vernacular place name transforms the vernacular place name into a Latin 3rd Declension adjective. In the transcription I added the missing letters in parenthesis.

Attached are a picture of a typical windmill (wiatrak) from Wielkopolskie and an example of a Dutch style windmill found in Poland. Wielkopolskie had a considerable population of immigrants from the Low Countries who sought refuge in Poland during the religious wars in their native land. Those immigrants brought with them the technology to reclaim wetlands as well as a breed of Dutch cattle which came to be raised extensively in Wielkopolskie.

The transcription and the translation follow.

Dave

Jacobus Mucha, Parochus = Jakub Mucha, pastor

Skrobek Wiatrak* Mielencin = Skrobek, the windmill* of Mielęcin

Anno D(omi)ni 1818 Die 12 Novembris Adm(odum) R(everen)d(us) D(omi)nus** Joannes Kassanke Parochus et Archipresbiter Bralinensis baptisavit infantem n(omin)e Thomam, filium legitime natum die 10 c(urrentis) m(ensis) hora 5 mane Lab(oriosorum)*** Parentum Thomae Oszeręda(?) molitoris aetat(is) 38 an(norum) et Catharincae Gronczanka**** aetatis 28 ann(orum) Conj(ugum) leg(itimorum). Patrini (fuerunt) Susanna Gronczanka**** et Franciscus Rogosk(?)

Translation of body of entry: In the year of Our Lord 1818 on the 12th day of November the Very Reverend Pan** Jan Kassanke, pastor and Archpriest of Bralin, baptized an infant by the name of Tomasz, the son legitimately born on the 10th day of the current month at the hour of 5 in the morning of the industrious*** parents, the legitimately married spouses Tomasz Oszeręda(?), a miller, 38 years of age, and Katarzyna Gronczanka****, 28 years of age. The sponsors (were) Zuzanna Gronczanka**** and Franciszek Rogosk(?).

Notes: *wiatrak/windmill, a Polish word. During the 19th Century windmills were used as sources power. Here the windmill powered mill where Tomasz plied his trade as a miller.
**Dominus/Pan: In the early 19th Century almost all priests were szlachta/nobles. Dominus can be translated into English as “Sir” or “Lord” but the Polish version of the title is “Pan”.
***Laboriosus/Industrious: an adjective used to designate an individual as a peasant.
****The suffix -anka was used for unmarried females (and hence for a mother’s maiden name. It is likely that the “cz” was added for euphonic reasons. The surname of the father of the ladies likely was Gron or Groń.

Wiatrak holenderski.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.64 KB

Wiatrak holenderski.jpg

Polski Wiatrak.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  180.37 KB

Polski Wiatrak.jpg

Blue

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:27 pm      Post subject: Fryderyk Schar and Susanna Kalfa - marriage 1875

Thanks Dave. I will look out for the semi circles and squiggles. Thanks also for the pictures of the windmills and I had no idea that so many Dutch people had moved to Poland. It is all very interesting.

My next record is a part German and part Latin record. I have only transcribed the Latin part as follows:

die XVIII Aprila perimo ortevo

Capellanus Kokott copulavid in filia M. Butschkau juvenum Friederikum Schar, inquilinus ex Miga Butschau, filium Friederici Schar, roloni, ex Trzcinica,
et virginem Susannem Sarnorka, filiam Mathaei Sarnoska, inquilini ex My. Butschkau die XVIII Aprilis
Testes: Thomas Wolny juvenis ex My Balorka; Carolus Wieizores [ditto]
Act: 3
Sponsi: 24
Sponsae: 26

This record is unusual to me, as I think the filia and filium are round the wrong way; usually it refers to Gross or Klein Butschkau (for this family); and there is another German marriage record for this couple, which possibly records a different father (or two?) for Susanna. I will also attach that record on the German part of the forum.

Fryderyk Schar and Susanna Kalfa - marriage 1875 Latin.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  458.56 KB

Fryderyk Schar and Susanna Kalfa - marriage 1875 Latin.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:31 pm      Post subject: Re: Fryderyk Schar and Susanna Kalfa - marriage 1875

Blue wrote:
Thanks Dave. I will look out for the semi circles and squiggles. Thanks also for the pictures of the windmills and I had no idea that so many Dutch people had moved to Poland. It is all very interesting.

My next record is a part German and part Latin record. I have only transcribed the Latin part as follows:

die XVIII Aprila perimo ortevo

Capellanus Kokott copulavid in filia M. Butschkau juvenum Friederikum Schar, inquilinus ex Miga Butschau, filium Friederici Schar, roloni, ex Trzcinica,
et virginem Susannem Sarnorka, filiam Mathaei Sarnoska, inquilini ex My. Butschkau die XVIII Aprilis
Testes: Thomas Wolny juvenis ex My Balorka; Carolus Wieizores [ditto]

This record is unusual to me, as I think the filia and filium are round the wrong way; usually it refers to Gross or Klein Butschkau (for this family); and there is another German marriage record for this couple, which possibly records a different father (or two?) for Susanna. I will also attach that record on the German part of the forum.

Hi blue,

Immigrants from the Low Countries were only one of several groups who immigrated to Poland during the era of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth which ended with the Third Partition of Poland in 1795. One reason immigrants from other European countries was the long standing guarantee of religious freedom which was a hallmark of the Commonwealth. Poland, as a multi-ethnic and multi-religious society, had a long tradition of religious freedom. The right to worship freely was a basic right given to all inhabitants of the Commonwealth throughout the 15th and early 16th century. Complete freedom of religion was officially recognized in Poland in 1573 during the Warsaw Confederation and was made a constitutional right in the Henrician Articles which were adopted prior to the coronation of the first elected monarch, Henry of Valois. Poland kept religious freedom laws during an era when religious persecution was an everyday occurrence in the rest of Europe. It is difficult to think of any European country from which immigrants did not come to the Commonwealth to take advantage of the freedoms offered by the Commonwealth of the Two Nations (Rzeczpostpolita Obojga Narodów).

Back to the current record...There are a few elements of the record which distinguish it from the more familiar marriage entries. The priest is referred to as Capellanus and the phrase “in filia” can be confusing. The explanation is found in “Notes”.

Corrections to the transcription follow.

Dave

Transcription:

die XVIII Aprilis /decimo octavo/*

Capellanus Kokot copulavit in filia** M(agno) Butschkau juvenum Friederikum*** Schar, inquilinus ex Magno Butschkau, filium Friederici Schar, coloni, ex Trzcinica,
et virginem Susannam Sarnorska, filiam Mathaei Sarnoske, inquilini ex Mag(no). Butschkau die XVIII Aprilis
Testes: Thomas Wolny juvenis ex Mag(no) Butsch(au)****; Carolus Wieizorek [ditto]

Notes: */decimo octavo/: the date is first given in Roman Numerals (XVIII = 18th) and then in long hand in parentheses (decimo octavo = 18th).

**in filia: does not refer to a person but refers to a “filial” (daughter) church of the parish of Rychtal. Although the church in Wielki Buczek served the religious needs of the Catholics in that area it was not a separate and distinct parish and the priest who served that church was not the pastor but served under the pastor of Rychtal, and thus his title of capellanus/chaplain. The church in Wielki Buczek was under the patronage of St. John Nepomucene (św. Jana Nepomucyna) and did not become an independent parish until the year 2000. Here is a link to the history of the church which includes a picture of the church building where the wedding took place: https://zabytek.pl/en/obiekty/wielki-buczek-kosciol-pw-sw-jana-nepomucena

***Friederikum: should be spelled Friedericum. Although the letter k was part of the Latin alphabet during the Classical period it was replaced by the letter c in most words with the exception of Kalendae (the Kalends) and Karthago (Carthage).

****Another truncation.
Blue

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:36 pm      Post subject: Friedericum Schar and Susanna Kalfa - marriage 1875

Thanks Dave.

Now that I read the Latin record again - I can recognise that Magno Butschkau (Latin) = Gross Butschkau (German) = Wielki Buczek (Polish). I had seen a picture of the Wielki Buczek church from Wikimedia a few years ago, but your website link has much better photos and information. When I previously found the address of the church, it referred to it as being located in Rychtal, which never made sense to me, but now I understand.

I also had no idea about Poland being so open to different religions - I had always thought of it as being primarily Catholic. I really appreciate all the extra information you give to me.

Back to the marriage record, do you think is it unusual that Susanna's father is recorded as Mathaei Sarnoske and there is no mention that he may not be her biological father?

Two days earlier, Susanna and Fryderyk had gone to the civil registry, and Susanna had reported that Mathaeus Sarnowski was the second husband of her mother Franciska Kalfa. I guess it is also possible that Maciej was actually Susanna's biological father? I have put the civil marriage record on the German part of this forum and Michael has helped me to transcribe it. I would very much appreciate it if you can please have a look and let me know what you think.
TedMack

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:05 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

I have 3 more B&B translations from the Rychnow parish when you have time.

I think I've found all I can from this parish for now.

Cheers
Ted

Birth Tomasz Maciaszek 1781 - record 4 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  196.08 KB

Birth Tomasz Maciaszek 1781 - record 4 (crop).jpg

Birth Rozalia Maciaszek 1782 - record 5 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.35 KB

Birth Rozalia Maciaszek 1782 - record 5 (crop).jpg

Birth Magdalena Maciaszek 1784 - record 7 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  154.16 KB

Birth Magdalena Maciaszek 1784 - record 7 (crop).jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:30 pm      Post subject: Re: Friedericum Schar and Susanna Kalfa - marriage 1875

Blue wrote:
Thanks Dave.

Now that I read the Latin record again - I can recognise that Magno Butschkau (Latin) = Gross Butschkau (German) = Wielki Buczek (Polish). I had seen a picture of the Wielki Buczek church from Wikimedia a few years ago, but your website link has much better photos and information. When I previously found the address of the church, it referred to it as being located in Rychtal, which never made sense to me, but now I understand.

I also had no idea about Poland being so open to different religions - I had always thought of it as being primarily Catholic. I really appreciate all the extra information you give to me.

Back to the marriage record, do you think is it unusual that Susanna's father is recorded as Mathaei Sarnoske and there is no mention that he may not be her biological father?

Two days earlier, Susanna and Fryderyk had gone to the civil registry, and Susanna had reported that Mathaeus Sarnowski was the second husband of her mother Franciska Kalfa. I guess it is also possible that Maciej was actually Susanna's biological father? I have put the civil marriage record on the German part of this forum and Michael has helped me to transcribe it. I would very much appreciate it if you can please have a look and let me know what you think.

Hi blue,

In my opinion all that can be determined with certainty about the relationship between Susanna Kalska & Matthew Sarnowski is that Matthew married Susanna’s mother (Frances Kalfa in 1862 and thus Susanna would have been under the care of her mother and her stepfather Matthew from the time she was about 13 years old until her marriage in 1875 when she was 26 years of age. Was Matthew Susanna’s biological father? Possible but highly unlikely. Here is what I see as the timeline based on data from the Poznań Project index: Matthew was born c. 1818; Frances was born c. 1825; Susanna was born c. 1849. Matthew married Marianna Gawlik in 1839 at age 21, was widowed and married Angela Supianek in 1847. He was widowed for a second time and married Frances Staschiok nėe Kalfa, a widow, in 1862. At the time Susanna was born Matthew most likely was still married to Angela. Frances Kalfa married John Staschiok in 1852. They had a son Ignatius who was born c. 1853 and married in 1879.

In Catholic B & B records the only way a father was entered if he and the mother of the child were not married would be form him to show up before the parish priest and declare that he was the father. Later adoption was a most unlikely option for those who were not nobles or owners of substantial property. It is my opinion that Matthew appeared in the Latin marriage record simply because he had cared for Susanna for about half of her life—in particular the years when she grew from a young teen to a woman of 26 years of age. I do not find it unusual for Matthew to be named as Susanna’s father at the time of her marriage with no reference to biological paternity, a relationship which I do not believe to have existed. If the chaplain at the filial church had been there less than 13 years—which was very likely since being at a filial church was probably viewed as a temporary situation until the priest became pastor of his own parish—he may very well have been operating under the assumption that Matthew & Frances and children were a family unit and that Matthew was Susanna’s actual father. Combined with knowing the names of the family members and not needing to ask Susanna the name of her father, the priest entered what he believed to be accurate.

BaSIA has links to scans of quite a few records for him Matthew
during his life prior to his marriage to Frances.

I hope this provides you with some food for thought.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:09 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

I have 3 more B&B translations from the Rychnow parish when you have time.

I think I've found all I can from this parish for now.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

The names of the children baptized in these records all refer to the saint after whom each child was named, which thus provides each child’s Name Day. The record for Róża/Rose does not name the saint but the saint after whom she was named was Rose of Lima whose feast day was 30 August.

Anyway the translations follow.

Dave

Tomasz:
4. Rychnów
In the same year on the 6th day of March the same who is above baptized an infant by the name of Tomasz z Akwino (Thomas Aquinas) born of the legitimately married industrious Kacper and Maryanna Maciaszek. The sponsors were Paweł Przybełek, a single young man and Katarzyna Przybełka, both from Rychnów.

Róża:
5. Rychnów
In the same year on the 30th day of August the same who is above baptized an infant by the name of Róża* born of the legitimately married Kacper and Maryanna Maciaszek. The sponsors were Wojciech Janeczak and Kunegunda/Kinga Tabernatiska, both from Rychnów.

Note: *Rosa (Róża/Rose) is not the same name as Rosalia (Rozalia/Rosalie). They are two distinct names.

Magdalena:
7. Rychnów

In the same year on the 30th day of May the same who is above baptized an infant by the name of Magdalena from Pazzi born of the legally married industrious Kacper and Maryanna Maciaszek. The sponsors were Wojciech Ktolak and Katarzyna, a maiden, both from Rychnów.
Blue

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:11 pm      Post subject: Krystian Kowalski and Maryanna Kempa - Marriage 1845

Hi Dave

Thanks again for all your help.

I have another marriage record, which I read as follows, and would appreciate your corrections:

Col. 1: Numerus ___ = Act number [for the year]: 26

Col. 2: Annus et Dies Copulationis = The Year, Month & Day of the Marriage: 18 November 1845

Col. 3: Nomen et Cognomen Copulantis = Given and Surname of the One Joining (them in Marriage): Ignatius
Schubert

Col. 4: Nomen, Cognomen, et conditio sponsi et utrum in facie Ecclesiae = The Given and Surnames, and status of the groom and whether married in the presence of the Congregation:
Christian Kowalski, famulus de Trzcinica, filius Joannis, Sutoris, et Rosina Falienska, in face ecclesiae Trzcinicii = Krystian Kowalski, servant, living in Trzcinica, son of Jan Kowalski, a tailor, and Rosinae Falienska, married in the presence of the congregation.

Col. 5: Nomen, Cognomen, et conditio sponse et utrum in facie Ecclesiae = The Given and Surnames, and status of the bride and whether married in the presence of the Congregation:
Maria, viduata Baberoska, filia Mathia Kempa quondam Custodis Sylvae Trzcinnicensius, et Maria Katusianka = Maria, the widow of Baberoska, daughter of Maciej Kempa, formerly the Custodian of the Forest Trzcinnicensius [?], and Maria Katusianka

Col. 6: Utrum vidui vel liberi = Widow & Widower or Single: liber cum vidua = ____ [how is a liber different to a juvenis]? and widow

Col. 7: Aetas = Age
Col. 7a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: 25 viginti quinque
Col. 7b: Sponse = Of the Bride: 36 triginta sex

Col. 8: Religio = Religion
Col. 8a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: Catholicus
Col. 8b: Sponse = Of the Bride: Catholica

Col. 9: Dies et Mensis Promulgations = Day and Month of the Announcement (of the Banns):
I. 26 October
II. 2 November
III. 9 November 1845

Col. 10: Utrum Dispensatio fuerit = Whether a Dispensation May Have Been (Granted): non erat necesse = not necessary

Col. 11: Nomen, Cognomen et Conditio Testium = The given name, surname and status of the witnesses: Paulus
Walilza, hortulanus, et Jacobus Maka _____ am. ____ de Trzcinica.

Col. 12: Consensus Parentum Vel Tutorum = Consent of the parents: ê parte sponsa judiciian Kempna ____ = On the part of the Bride the parents (who were) present gave consent:

Col. 13: Annotatio = Notation:

Krystian Kowalski and Maryanna Kempa - Marriage 1845.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.27 MB

Krystian Kowalski and Maryanna Kempa - Marriage 1845.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:53 pm      Post subject: Re: Krystian Kowalski and Maryanna Kempa - Marriage 1845

Blue wrote:
Hi Dave

Thanks again for all your help.

I have another marriage record, which I read as follows, and would appreciate your corrections:

Col. 1: Numerus ___ = Act number [for the year]: 26

Col. 2: Annus et Dies Copulationis = The Year, Month & Day of the Marriage: 18 November 1845

Col. 3: Nomen et Cognomen Copulantis = Given and Surname of the One Joining (them in Marriage): Ignatius
Schubert

Col. 4: Nomen, Cognomen, et conditio sponsi et utrum in facie Ecclesiae = The Given and Surnames, and status of the groom and whether married in the presence of the Congregation:
Christian Kowalski, famulus de Trzcinica, filius Joannis, Sutoris, et Rosina Falienska, in face ecclesiae Trzcinicii = Krystian Kowalski, servant, living in Trzcinica, son of Jan Kowalski, a tailor, and Rosinae Falienska, married in the presence of the congregation.

Col. 5: Nomen, Cognomen, et conditio sponse et utrum in facie Ecclesiae = The Given and Surnames, and status of the bride and whether married in the presence of the Congregation:
Maria, viduata Baberoska, filia Mathia Kempa quondam Custodis Sylvae Trzcinnicensius, et Maria Katusianka = Maria, the widow of Baberoska, daughter of Maciej Kempa, formerly the Custodian of the Forest Trzcinnicensius [?], and Maria Katusianka

Col. 6: Utrum vidui vel liberi = Widow & Widower or Single: liber cum vidua = ____ [how is a liber different to a juvenis]? and widow

Col. 8a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: Catholicus
Col. 8b: Sponse = Of the Bride: Catholica

Col. 9: Dies et Mensis Promulgations = Day and Month of the Announcement (of the Banns):
I. 26 October
II. 2 November
III. 9 November 1845

Col. 10: Utrum Dispensatio fuerit = Whether a Dispensation May Have Been (Granted): non erat necesse = not necessary

Col. 11: Nomen, Cognomen et Conditio Testium = The given name, surname and status of the witnesses: Paulus
Walilza, hortulanus, et Jacobus Maka _____ am. ____ de Trzcinica.

Col. 12: Consensus Parentum Vel Tutorum = Consent of the parents: ê parte sponsa judiciian Kempna ____ = On the part of the Bride the parents (who were) present gave consent:

Col. 13: Annotatio = Notation:

Hi blue,

The corrections/additions follow.

Back to your earlier observation about Poland being a predominately Catholic country...That is certainly true of Poland from the middle of the 20th Century on. However, Poland during the days of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (Rzeczpostpolita Obojga Narodów) was a far different place. The commonwealth was much larger in terms of territory and was much more diverse in terms of ethnic and religious makeup. Here are some stats which you may find interesting.

At its greatest extent in 1618 the Commonwealth encompassed approximately 1,000,000 square kilometers (c. 387,000 square miles) with a population of about 12 million people, which was composed roughly of 4.5 million Poles, 3.5 million Ukrainians, 1.5 million Belarusians, 0.75 million Lithuanians, 0.75 million Old Prussians 0.5 million Jews, and 0.5 million Livonians.

The religious affiliation breakdown of the Commonwealth was approximately 40% Catholic, 40% Orthodox, and 20% Jewish, Protestant and Muslim.

Attached are two maps which show the size of the Commonwealth at its greatest extent. The 3rd map shows where Roman Catholics, Greek Catholics (unici), Protestants, and Orthodox resided in the Commonwealth in 1750. Jews were scattered throughout the Commonwealth and Muslims resided mainly in the north east.

Dave

Transcription:

Col. 1: Numerus currens* = Number [for the year] (currens is the present participle active of the verb curro, currere, cucurri, cursum, to run and the heading may be translated as “running tally” or as “sequential number”): 26

Col. 3: Nomen et Cognomen Copulantis = Given and Surname of the One Joining (them in Marriage): Ignatius Schubert

Christian Kowalski, famulus de Trzcinica, filius Joannis, Sutoris, et Rosina Falienska, in facie ecclesiae Trzcinicii = Krystian Kowalski, servant, living in Trzcinica, son of Jan Kowalski, a tailor, and Rosina/Rosine Falienska, married in the presence of the congregation of Trzcinica .

Maria, viduata Baberoska, filia Mathiæ Kempa quondam Custodis Sylvæ (the usual spelling is Silvæ) Trzcinnicensis, et Maria Kałusianka** = Maria, the widowed Baberoska, daughter of Maciej Kempa, formerly the Custodian of the Forest of Trzcinica, and Maria Kałusianka**

Col. 6: Utrum vidui vel liberi = Widow & Widower or Single: liber cum vidua =a single young man [how is a liber different to a juvenis***]? With a widow

Col. 8a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: Catholicus = Catholic (“us” is the masculine ending)
Col. 8b: Sponse = Of the Bride: Catholica = Catholic (“a” is the feminine ending)

I. 26 October
II. 2 November
III. 9 November 1845

Col. 10: Utrum Dispensatio fuerit = Whether a Dispensation May Have Been (Granted): non erat necesse = it was not necessary

Col. 11: Nomen, Cognomen et Conditio Testium = The given name, surname and status of the witnesses: Paulus Walisza, hortulanus****, et Jacobus Mąka ædituus ambo de Trzcinica = Paweł Walisza, a gardener****, and Jakub Mąka, a sexton, both from Trzcinica.

Col. 12: Consensus Parentum Vel Tutorum = Consent of the parents or Guardians: e***** parte sponsa judicium Kempnæ****** dato 7/11/45 N. (illegible & illegible) 5(?)678 = On the part of the Bride the court of Kępno****** given on 7 November 1845 Number (illegible & illegible) 5(?)678.

Col. 13: Annotatio = Notation: Blank

Notes: *currens is the present participle active of the verb curro, currere, cucurri, cursum, to run and the heading may be translated as “running tally” or as “sequential number”

** Kałusianka: Sometimes it is difficult to distinguish the letter ł from the letter t. When the letter is crossed high it is usually the letter ł and the letter t is crossed lower. Here the letter is ł. If you compare the letter in the surname with known letters (t) in words like Ignatius and Cristian and Catholicus it is clear the letter in the maiden name of her mother is crossed much higher. The suffix -ianka is an old feminine suffix which describes her as “the daughter of…” The surname of her father most likely was Kałuża.

***How is a liber different to a juvenis? There is no substantial difference—they are synonyms. Another synonym is adolescens.

****hortulanus/gardener: the term distinguished an individual in terms of the amount of land he had. A hortulanus/gardener had his own cottage and enough land for a garden but had no farm fields.

*****e is a form of the preposition ex. “e” was usually used before a word which begins with a consonant. “ex” was always used before a word which begins with a vowel. Why the scribe added a mark above the letter is a total mystery. I say scribe rather than priest because priests often hired someone to produce the copies of the registers which were to be submitted to the civil authorities as transcripts of the parish registers.

******Kempno/Kępno was the town where the local court was located. It is doubtful that the permission/license survives

1132px-Religie_w_I_Rz-plitej_1750.svg.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  483.06 KB

1132px-Religie_w_I_Rz-plitej_1750.svg.png

Commonwealth in 17th Century.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.41 MB

Commonwealth in 17th Century.jpg

Polish-Lithuanian_Commonwealth_at_its_maximum_extent.svg.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  292.49 KB

Polish-Lithuanian_Commonwealth_at_its_maximum_extent.svg.JPG

TedMack

Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:54 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

I was able to locate a couple of more birth records in Rychnow parish and a possible Death record. The death record is only a possibility due to the lack of info contained within, it is possible as it is just before Kacper remarries but the age is out. As I've found with most death records there is some creative license given to the ages of the deceased - on this page there are a couple of centenarians. Most probably Marianna died not long after the birth of Helena but the available death records are only from 1797 so not much chance of confirming.

Anyway, I've also included the Header row for the death records as I'm interested in the last column - does that indicate possibly widow (if so I can discount the record)?

If you can translate when time permits please.

Cheers
Ted

Birth Helena Maciaszek 1792 - record 3 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.85 KB

Birth Helena Maciaszek 1792 - record 3 (crop).jpg

Birth Katarzyna Maciaszek 1789 - record 21 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  126.21 KB

Birth Katarzyna Maciaszek 1789 - record 21 (crop).jpg

Possible Death Marianna Maciaszek 1803 - record 2 (Header).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  123.24 KB

Possible Death Marianna Maciaszek 1803 - record 2 (Header).jpg

Possible Death Marianna Maciaszek 1803 - record 2 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.8 KB

Possible Death Marianna Maciaszek 1803 - record 2 (crop).jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 244, 245, 246 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 245 of 274

Jump to: