PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Trying to locate Kunew
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author

Replies: 20

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:58 pm      Post subject: Trying to locate Kunew

I am trying to locate the town/village that my grandfather, Jacob Kaminski, immigrated from in 1910. His passenger record states that he immigrated aboard the S.S. Main from Bremen on May 3, 1910. The record further states that he was from Kunew Russia. This town/village was located in Zakrenicy Wolinsk. I can find no information on either the town or it's location, so I don't know if it was in Poland, Ukraine, or Russia. Any help would be appreciated.
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:59 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

Welcome to the forum!

It would be most helpful if you can post the passenger list so we can see how the village name is written.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:53 pm      Post subject:

Hello again,

I think the village you are seeking is Kuniv which is 5.6 km from Zakrynchne situated in what is currently the Iziaslav Raion, Khmelnytsky Oblast, Ukraine. From what I pieced together, this area used to be part of the southern region of Volhynia (Wolyn in Polish). That is why the passenger list of 1910 uses the Polish versions of the locations, I.e. Wolinsk.

Here it is on Google maps

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Zakrynychne,+Khmelnytskyi+Oblast,+Ukraine/Kuniv,+Khmelnytskyi+Oblast,+Ukraine,+30310/@50.2202213,26.3832277,13z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m2!1m1!1s0x472faccec4cc6d13:0xa92d8a3d11a9be9c!1m2!1m1!1s0x472fac7e6d191de5:0x578234d9fdd228f0!3e0

Here is link to history of Volhynia region.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Volhynia

I will let other forum members review this to confirm or correct.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:48 am      Post subject:

Hi KaminskiJL and Cynthia,
Here is the index card for his arrival at the port of Philadelphia:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:2:77TH-WYQZ-N?i=3915&cc=1921483&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AKFDZ-XCS
Cynthia, I agree with the town you found but I'm sure you'd like to look at the actual manifest, so I will add that link when I find it.
Sophia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:52 am      Post subject:

OK, here he is, on the first line:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GP1H-S27Q?i=44&cc=1921481&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3A23Q5-GXK
He is travelling with two others, Pawel and Iwan Kolodziakny, and going to their uncle's (Stepan Kolik) in Philly. Page forward to see the second page.
-Sophia
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:31 pm      Post subject:

Sophia,

Thanks so much for the passenger list links. Yes, I am fairly certain the village he is looking for is the one I indicated previously. Of course the passenger lists seldom spell them correctly as you know.

I will look to see if I can find records anywhere online.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
KaminskiJL

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:42 pm      Post subject:

Thanks to both of you! I'm sorry for not replying to your request for his passenger manifest and record card, but by the time I checked back you had everything you needed and more. I really appreciate your work on this!
KaminskiJL

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:06 pm      Post subject:

So; now that you have most likely identified the village that he came from, is there a forum or service that you know of that I can use to find a record of his birth? I am very interested in finding his parents names (I was told that his father was Francis Peter Kaminski, and his mother was Eva Wotsoska, but I have no documentation to prove this). I would also like to see if he had any siblings. I did find a reference to a brother (Anani) on his passenger record, but again I cannot verify this.
Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

passenger record for Jacob Kaminski.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  147.08 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

passenger record for Jacob Kaminski.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:56 pm      Post subject:

KaminskiJL wrote:
So; now that you have most likely identified the village that he came from, is there a forum or service that you know of that I can use to find a record of his birth? I am very interested in finding his parents names (I was told that his father was Francis Peter Kaminski, and his mother was Eva Wotsoska, but I have no documentation to prove this). I would also like to see if he had any siblings. I did find a reference to a brother (Anani) on his passenger record, but again I cannot verify this.

Hi,
I do not see records online for this village. It would be worth your while to ask the Polish Origins genealogists for their professional help. This link will get you to a description of their services, where you will find a Genealogy Research Request form:
https://polishorigins.com/genealogy/
In my opinion, "Anani" is not a name, but rather the attempt of an indexer to record on the card what they could decipher from the manifest. The brother could be Antoni, hard to tell. Francis will be Franciszek, Peter will be Piotr, Eva will be Ewa. As for Wotsoska, that could be a phonetic approximation of the name or again could be someone's interpretation of a handwritten name.
I wish you luck in your search,
Sophia
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 295

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:31 am      Post subject:

KaminskiJL wrote:
I am very interested in finding his parents names (I was told that his father was Francis Peter Kaminski, and his mother was Eva Wotsoska, but I have no documentation to prove this). I would also like to see if he had any siblings. I did find a reference to a brother (Anani) on his passenger record, but again I cannot verify this.

Hi KamiskiJL and everyone,
Did Jakub stay in Philly? Do you have a copy of his marriage application? Or do you have a copy of his death record? Maybe you can find a document that can verify his parents names.

Trish
KaminskiJL

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:24 am      Post subject:

Hello Trish,

No, Jacob did not stay in Philly. After his arrival he migrated to the coal mining districts of pennsylvania, and settled in Northumberland and Scuylkill counties. I have him living in Coal, PA and also in Shenandoah, PA. During this time he was married 3 times. I only have a copy of his 3rd marriage license application (to my grandmother, Ewa Esa, then Ewa Mroga). This is the document that I got his father's and mother's names from. So far I have found a few documents that verify his father's name, but nothing for his mother. Jacob moved his family to Meriden, CT in 1941 and he died there in 1958. I have a copy of his death certificate which states his father's name as Peter Kaminski and his mother's name as "Unknown".

Jacob Kaminski Death Certificate.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.25 MB

Jacob Kaminski Death Certificate.jpeg

Kaminski-Esa marriage application.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.31 MB

KaminskiJL

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:41 am      Post subject:

Having a problem with my internet. Here is Jacob's death certificate.

Jacob Kaminski Death Certificate 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.25 MB

Jacob Kaminski Death Certificate 1.jpg

Trish
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:39 am      Post subject:

Trish wrote:
KaminskiJL wrote:
I am very interested in finding his parents names (I was told that his father was Francis Peter Kaminski, and his mother was Eva Wotsoska, but I have no documentation to prove this). I would also like to see if he had any siblings. I did find a reference to a brother (Anani) on his passenger record, but again I cannot verify this.

Did Jakub stay in Philly? Do you have a copy of his marriage application? Or do you have a copy of his death record? Maybe you can find a document that can verify his parents names.

Trish

Hi!

I asked about the Kaminski for there were Kaminski in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. They knew my ancestors - Brodowski, Ostrowski, Pisarski families.

I found a possible death for Jakub Kaminski's 2nd spouse. Jakub Kaminski is listed as the informant. Josephine Golombrewska died giving birth in 1927.

Attched are the death certificates for Josphine and for the baby .

I'm trying to find the marriage record.
Trish

Josphine Golombrewska Death 1927 spouse of Jakub Kaminski.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  917.42 KB

Josphine Golombrewska Death 1927 spouse of Jakub Kaminski.jpg

Baby Kaminski Death 1927.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  919.73 KB

Baby Kaminski Death 1927.jpg

Trish
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:02 am      Post subject:

Trish wrote:
KaminskiJL wrote:

Trish

Hi!
I believe this is the death record for the first wife of Jakub Kaminski. Her name was Adela Kulikowski. Adela died in 1919. Jakub and Adela had a daughter named Helen Kaminski that died in 1915.

Helen Kaminski is listed as in the Pennsylvania Birth Indexes as: Helen Kamenskie - born May 10, 1914 in Coal Township, Pennsylvania.

I am still trying to find a marriage record for either marriage of Jakub. Jakub had to have some relatives in Pennsylvania for him to be in Northumberland or Schuylkill Counties.

Trish

Helen Kaminiski Death child of Jakub.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  752.61 KB

Helen Kaminiski Death child of Jakub.jpg

Adela Kulikowska Death 1919 spouse of Jakub.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  791.1 KB

Adela Kulikowska  Death 1919 spouse of Jakub.jpg

KaminskiJL

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:30 am      Post subject:

Hello Trish, So here is what I know about Jacob's first two marriages. His first wife was Adella Krulikowski. I have her death certificate. I also have their child Helen's death certificate. When I was younger I heard a rumor that they also had another child, Ludwiga, but I have not found any documentation of her birth, life, or death, so I am considering this to be a rumor until proven true. According to her death certificate Adella died in 1919. Sometime between 1919 and 1927 Jacob married Josephina Golembewski. Josephina died giving birth in 1927. I have her death certificate as well as her baby's birth/death certificate. In 1930 Jacob was in Shenandoah, Schuylkill county, PA and applied for a license to marry my grandmother, Ewa Esa who was a widow from her previous marriage to Dominik Mroga. On the application Jacob states that he was previously married and widowed twice. I know nothing else about him. He passed when I was 2. My parents really never spoke about him. I have some family pictures but that is about it. Now, my father was the youngest of Ewa's children, and the only child that she had with Jacob. Most of my cousins were around my father's age. I have heard from two of them that my father had 2 half brothers (names unknown although 1 went by the nickname "Banjo"). I don't know which previous wife was their mother, but I suspect that it would have been Josephina because the story I was told put them as a teenager and a young adult when they visited Jacob in Meriden in 1941.

I have also found another Jacob Kaminski married to a Adela Kulikowski living in Buffalo, NY. I do not believe that these are my grandfather and his first wife, but they sure do make for confusion. They had a daughter named Sophia who was born in 1918. Again, I do not believe that these people are my relatives.

Description:
 Filesize:  1.31 MB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: