PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:49 pm      Post subject:

jmajer1115 wrote:
Mark, my family also lived at 4329 S. Paulina for a while. Interestingly, one of the witnesses on my great grandfather's naturalization papers was a Frank Cyrwus who listed his occupation as tavern owner at the same address. I'd also love to see the bar pics, if it is no trouble. I'm sure they spent a lot of time there (ha).

jmajer do you know when they lived there and what was there name. The picture that Bill posted has my GGF Frank behind the bar. I am going to visit my Great Aunt on Monday and hopefully I will have a lot of picture from the tavern. I can ask her if she know them. Also do you know if they were members of the PHA. I only know of one family that my dad and grandfather always talked about that lived in the tavern.

Mark
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:33 am      Post subject:

Ute wrote:
Bill Rushin wrote:
Ute, I found 9 records for Anna, Andrew and William. I made a big text file and 2 pics of docs. Will email in 2 mins. Bill

Wow, thanks Bill!! It's great that you found the record for Andrew Bryjak! So he died 10 Mar 1923.

Ute, guess who I just found?

"Subject: Bill Rushin sent you a message from Whitepages listings:
I found your phone listing on WhitePages: Looking for Solczyk relative- are you related to Richard who died in Vietnam? Thanks Bill Rushin

Yes, He was my brother. Died Dec. 27, 1967 Bob Solczyk" <----------omg!

Ute- he confirmed Robert was really Bartlomiej Robert Chowaniec/Howaniec who was married to Bronislawa Oblazny! Thank you for helping me find her, I've only been looking for her for 39 years!
Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:06 am      Post subject:

Bill Rushin wrote:

I found your phone listing on WhitePages: Looking for Solczyk relative- are you related to Richard who died in Vietnam? Thanks Bill Rushin

Ute- he confirmed Robert was really Bartlomiej Robert Chowaniec/Howaniec who was married to Bronislawa Oblazny! Thank you for helping me find her, I've only been looking for her for 39 years!

Bill, you're so welcome. These are the moments when all the efforts and all the hours we spend at the computer pay off, when we finally find a record we've been looking for for years, and now even a contact. Wow! I'm so happy for you.
Ute
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:35 am      Post subject:

Ute wrote:
Bill Rushin wrote:

Bill, you're so welcome. These are the moments when all the efforts and all the hours we spend at the computer pay off, when we finally find a record we've been looking for for years, and now even a contact. Wow! I'm so happy for you.
Ute

This is the best start to the day we could imagine in our Forum Exclamation Thank you Ute Exclamation

Bill, if you didn't start this, so popular now, thread you will probably wait for a few year more to uncover the mystery of Bronislawa Smile .
Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:16 pm      Post subject:

Thank you Ute and Zenon for your nice compliments, I really appreciate them. Yes this has been a fantastic find for me and my family. I am so glad I started so young in my genealogy research because 39 years is a long time to wait to find someone. <Grin>

This started in 1972 when my father and I left our home in Ohio and traveled to the Dallas - Ft. Worth area of Texas to lay another gas pipeline. (We were both members of Pipeliners Union 798 and worked in multiple states) After completing the job in 3 months my father (Pete) wanted to visit his oldest brother Anthony Rusin who lived in San Antonio, Texas. They had not seen each other since 1959 when Uncle Tony visited us in Ohio. After visiting a few days I asked Uncle Tony about our family’s history since he was the oldest of the 8 Rusin sons of Bartlomiej Rusin and Antonina Paluch. (Tony was born in Gron, Poland in 1899). Uncle Tony mentioned there were 6 sons of his grandfather Ignacy Rusin and Anna Taras. John, Jozef, Andrzej, Stanley, Jakob and Bartlomiej plus there was a girl born lastly but he couldn't remember her name, he said she married a wealthy Slovenian. He did know that she had a daughter and thought her name was Chovaniec maybe or it could be Skupien? He just didn't know for certain. A day later he said he thought it was Bernice Chovanic who lived in San Antonio a few years before she died. He thought she had children living in Chicago. I wrote that down in my little note book and saved it for years.

In the “old days" of genealogy there were neither computers nor internet to find people and records. You went to the library, court house or you wrote letters to these places and waited. How exciting it was to receive a letter 2 or 5 weeks later with a reply from someone. I wrote letters to Texas, Bexar county and Cook County Chicago but nothing found on Bernice Chovanic. I tried the Skupien name also, nada nothing. The internet finally came and I posted the Chovanic name on many DOS Bulletin Boards, genealogy sites, CompuServe, AOL, Polish Gen Web and I joined the PGSA and sent my family tree to them too. When you don't have any vitals on a person it's just impossible to search the census records in Chicago, it’s just too big to search. I even tried the early Polish Texas databases since that was a port of arrival also. I didn't know her mother’s name so that was no help either, and she married a unknown Slovenian.

I have been in contact with Ute Schoenwetter for 10+ years and we have always shared info between us. She knew from old correspondence between us a few of my surnames. So a few weeks ago as we were working on the "Back of the Yards" information she mentioned she had found a record while researching her Oblazny/Penska relatives.

"Mar 12, 2012 Bill, I meant to write to you anyway, because I found a death record for a Bernice Rusin-Oblazny who passed away in San Antonio, Texas, in 1961. You have relatives in Texas, don't you? I just don't remember if they are Rusin’s. I'm going to attach the record for you. I found it when I was searching for information on the name Oblazny from Bialka (there seems to be a Penska-Oblazny connection by marriage ...).Ute”

Hmm, I'm looking for a Bernice Chovanic, her mother would be my Unknown Rusin, sister of my GF, could it possibly be her? I look at the document and it is a death certificate for Bernice Oblazny Hovaniec. Father is "unk. Oblazny" mother is "unk Rusin". Oh my, thiscould be her. It’s Hovaniec not Chovaniec! It makes sense as Slovaks use the H sound instead of the CH sound. This very well maybe her! Oh I am excited now, I tell Ute she has discovered someone I have been looking for ages! We jump with joy!

RUSIN OBLAZNY Bernices death cert. 1961.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  154.77 KB
 Viewed:  12325 Time(s)

RUSIN OBLAZNY Bernices death cert. 1961.jpg

Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:28 pm      Post subject:

(Part2) Ute replies with another record for a Victoria Oblazny who has a mother named Ruain, father Hovaniec. Could that be a typo? So I start building a temporary family tree on Ancestry and start my search. I find Victoria Oblazny married –1. Stefanik, 2. Walenda. I find all the kids and start tracing them. Five girls are very hard to track with marriages involved. Back to Bernice and I find a obit for her. Find all the kids and search again for any clues. One daughter mentioned in the obit had a son who was killed in action in Vietnam. I go to the "Wall" database and find Lt. Richard Solczyk. I read messages left on his page
and leave my own msg. to one guy. He responds that this family was still in Chicago as far as he knows; he went to school with them.

I call 6 phone numbers in Chicago from the white pages, 3 no good and 3 that ring but no answer. So I leave an email msg. that is linked to one of the phone numbers. I call again the next day-lines just ring and ring.

Meanwhile Ute finds a marriage record for Bronislawa Oblazny and Bartlomiej Chovaniec. I’m getting closer now. I find Bernice in the 1930 census, living in the BOY, working in the stockyards as a "gut stringer" wow, and discover she is divorced with 3 children.

Bronislawa Bartlomiej marr licence.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  586.06 KB

Bronislawa Bartlomiej  marr licence.jpg

Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:48 pm      Post subject:

Part 3) Then the proof arrives, Ute finds the actual marriage record for Bernice and Bartlomiej that lists Anna Rusin and John Oblazny as the parents! I'm elated! And give out a big "YES, I found her!

(I’ve done that a few times in the most quite libraries in the US before).

Then I get the email (posted above) from Bob Solczyk on Mar 27th - my 59th birthday! And last night I get another message from him:

"Bill, you’ve got the right women. Bernice (Bronislawa) Oblazny Howaniec was my mother's mother, my grandmother. Her husband, Bartlomiej Robert Howaniec (the spelling he used) did get divorced in 1930. They said they were separated as divorce was not accepted back then. They had 5 children, the first, a girl, died very young. My mother Marie (Mary) was next in 1913; then came Joseph, Michael and John, but I don't know what years. She moved to San Antonio in the mid 50's for her health, contracted "valley fever" and died in 1961 and her remains were returned to Chicago and she is buried in Resurrection cemetery next to Robert who died in 1967. Their kids said they both were rolling over in their graves because of that. Bob"

My new cousin Bob is traveling the next few weeks so I will have to wait to find out more, praying he may have more information and a photo of Anna Rusin, the only female in 2 generations of Rusin's.

The Back of the Yards Forum certainly has worked for me!

Bartlomiej -Bronislawa marriage record 1913.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.2 KB

Bartlomiej -Bronislawa marriage record 1913.jpg

Send e-mail
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:24 am      Post subject:

Bill,

I think your search story DESERVES appropriate format. I added the title to it (of course, you can change it, just tell me Smile ) and prepared pdf and Kindle versions for all.

Pdf file you can download (or open) by clicking here.

Kindle version you can download from here (After downloading to your hard drive plug in your Kindle via a USB cable. Drag the file to the Documents folder on your Kindle and you're done. You can also open it with the Kindle reader on your Mac, PC or iPad.)

Waiting for news after meeting with Bob Exclamation
Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:08 am      Post subject:

Bill Rushin wrote:
Then I get the email (posted above) from Bob Solczyk on Mar 27th - my 59th birthday! And last night I get another message from him:
"Bill, you’ve got the right women. Bernice (Bronislawa) Oblazny Howaniec was my mother's mother, my grandmother. Her husband, Bartlomiej Robert Howaniec (the spelling he used) did get divorced in 1930. They said they were separated as divorce was not accepted back then. They had 5 children, the first, a girl, died very young. My mother Marie (Mary) was next in 1913; then came Joseph, Michael and John, but I don't know what years.

Bill, I found records for three of Bartlomiej Chowaniec and Bronislawa Oblazna’s children so far: Marianna Howaniec, baptized on 27 Nov 1913, Joseph Stephanus Chowaniec, baptized on Sept 5, 1915, and a death record for a Bronislawa Chowaniec who died 17 Dec 1921 in Chicago, father Barttomey Chowaniec, mother Bronislava Oblazna (see https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NQ4C-2B4 )

I checked the Ellis Island database for Bronislawa Oblazna's immigration and found out that she emigrated to the United States on board of the steamship “The Kronprinzessin Cecilie” that left Bremen on Nov 1, 1910 and arrived at the port of New York on Nov 08, 1910. She was 22 years old at the time, her occupation was maid/servant, she was able to read and write. Her nationality is indexed as “Hungary”, race or people “Slovak”. Her place of birth was Bialka, her last residence abroad was with her father Janosz Oblazna in Jaszanosz Zpl [Zemplin??], Hungary. Her destination in the US was her brother-in-law Janosz Mrozek at 4532, Laflin St.

The brother-in-law she joined was most likely Jan Mrozek, husband of Mary Mrozek, nee Oblazna. I found Mary Mrozek’s obituary of 1949-08-22 in the Chicago Tribune Historical Archive according to which she was the wife of Jan Mrozek and the sister of Bernice Chowaniec.

Last but not least: We may have a family connection thru the Chowaniecs. One of Joseph Stephanus Chowaniec's godparents when he was baptized on Sept 5, 1915 was Sebastianus Chowaniec. A Sebastyan Chowaniec married Maryanna Rol in January 1910. Sebastyan Chowaniec was born abt. 1888 in Bialka and came to the US in Aug 1904. Apart from their marriage licence I don't have much information about the Chowaniec-Rol family yet, but wouldn't be surprised to find out that she was one of my grandfather’s cousins from Banska.

UPDATE: I finally found the marriage record for Sebastyan Howaniec and Maryanna Rol. They were married on 23 Jan 1910 at Saints Cyrill and Methodius Church at 5009 Hermitage Avenue in Chicago. Sebastyan Howaniec father was Joannes (Jan) Howaniec, his mother’s name is not given, Maryanna Rol's father was Franciszek Rol (same name as my grandfather!!)(her mother’s name is not given). Sebastyan Howaniec was from Bialka and Maryanna was indeed from Banska. Marriage witnesses were Joanne Skwarek and "Francises" Bilinski.
Ute
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:30 pm      Post subject:

Quote:
1. Bill, I found records for three of Bartlomiej Chowaniec and Bronislawa Oblazna’s children so far: Marianna Howaniec, baptized on 27 Nov 1913, Joseph Stephanus .....

2. I checked the Ellis Island database for Bronislawa Oblazna's immigration and found out that she emigrated...... Her place of birth was Bialka, her last residence abroad was with her father Janosz Oblazna in Jaszanosz Zpl [Zemplin??], Hungary. Her destination in the US was her brother-in-law Janosz Mrozek at 4532, Laflin St.

3. The brother-in-law she joined was most likely Jan Mrozek, husband of Mary Mrozek, nee Oblazna. I found Mary Mrozek’s obituary of 1949-08-22 in the Chicago Tribune Historical Archive according to which she was the wife of Jan Mrozek and the sister of Bernice Chowaniec.

4. Last but not least: We may have a family connection thru the Chowaniecs. One of Joseph Stephanus Chowaniec's godparents when he was baptized on Sept 5, 1915 was Sebastianus Chowaniec. A Sebastyan Chowaniec married Maryanna Rol in January 1910........

UPDATE: 5. I finally found the marriage record for Sebastyan Howaniec and Maryanna Rol. They were married on 23 Jan 1910 at Saints Cyrill and Methodius Church at 5009 Hermitage Avenue in Chicago. Sebastyan Howaniec father was Joannes (Jan) Howaniec, his mother’s name is not given, Maryanna Rol's father was Franciszek Rol (same name as my grandfather!!)........

Ute

Thanks Ute, in ref to #1 I have these records. #2 I have found a record that seems to be the same but it does not have the Mrozek info on it. I'll need to look at it again more closely. #3 I have this too, I knew Mary was a Oblazny as I had her mistakenly as a Rusin a while back when I was searching for the Jan Budz info. BTW Mary's brother in law Tony Mrozek was tending bar when Jan Budz got shot. It's all fitting together isn't it! #4 Oh My Gosh, that would be interesting now wouldn't it! #5 I just switched screens and just saw your update. Holy Molely! We may be related to each other! St. C&M is in the BOY! Now ain't that something Ute. No wonder we work together so well. Very Happy This is just an amazing week for sure.
Send e-mail
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:44 pm      Post subject:

Zenon wrote:
Bill, I think your search story DESERVES appropriate format. I added the title to it (of course, you can change it, just tell me Smile ) and prepared pdf and Kindle versions for all. Pdf file you can download (or open) by clicking here. Kindle version you can download from here (After downloading to your hard drive plug in your Kindle via a USB cable. Drag the file to the Documents folder on your Kindle and you're done. You can also open it with the Kindle reader on your Mac, PC or iPad.) Waiting for news after meeting with Bob Exclamation

How nice of you to do that Zenon. The title is fine with me. I was just looking to purchase a Kindle Fire possibly and now I'll have something to put on it. I'll let you know when Bob contacts me again. Dzienki Bill
Send e-mail
Gwendeanne

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:20 am      Post subject: My Family at 5338 S. Bishop & Photo

My family, the Nikielski family lived at 5338 S. Bishop Chicago in the Back of the Yards Neighborhood. They worked at the Stock Yards. They attended St. John of God and St. Joseph on Hermitage. I will try and post a photo I have on flickr. com of my grandmother's brother with a neighbor's house in the background.
And below that will be a link to a great source for historic photos. Type in your key words. I was able to find great photos of Sherman Park, and their outdoor grade school. The 1940 census values the house at $5K, Zillow now has it at $25k.

Back of the Yards Baby by BlueTahoeGirl, on Flickr

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/cdnquery.html
jbudz922

Replies: 14

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:30 am      Post subject:

Bill

Let me add my grandparents Frank (Franciszek) Budz and Louise (Ludwica) Ogarek. They were married in SS Cyril & Methodist Church in 1907 and lived at various addresses on Justine and Laflin between 49th and 50th st. as the family grew.

Namely: 1910 - 4509 Justine
1917 - 4721 Laflin
1921 - 4946 Justine

They then moved prior to 1930 to Whipple.

Jack

ps. We found my Grandfather was from Biakla not Murzasichle.

j
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:49 am      Post subject:

Posts about the neighborhood around FAY ST and St. John Cantius church has been moved to "Where did our Polish ancestors live after immigration?" forum.

Continue posting anything related to "The Back of the Yards" (BOY) here. Thanks!
Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:53 pm      Post subject: Growing up in the Back of the Yards in the 1950s

Our new member, Georgia, who grew up in the "Back of the Yards", has written a very interesting article "Growing up in the Back of the Yards in the 1950s" that just appeared in "PolishRoots", Volume XIII, No. 4, that she would like to share with us.

The link is http://www.polishroots.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=l4WwSZwnRnE%3d&tabid=60&mid=377

Georgia sent me the following message and asked me to post it for her to introduce herself to the members of PolishOrigins:
I am a new member of PolishOrigins, and a goralka from the Back of the Yards. Both of my grandfathers were butchers in the stockyards, and I lived near St. Joseph Church for many years. I still return to the neighborhood to visit my uncles. Dr. Paul Valasek's article about the Union Stockyards brought back many memories and prompted me to write this article. My Polish heritage includes the towns of Rogoznik, Nowy Targ, Gronkow, Lakta Gorna and Bledowa. I hope you enjoy my memories of growing up in the Back of the Yards.

Georgia Piech-Pander
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish Gorals - Highlanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Page 5 of 9

Jump to: