PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 248, 249, 250 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:40 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

I have these 2 B&B records from Wrząca Wielka parish - still delving into the Klimczak and Krawczyk (Belkowski) families. If you can translate when time permits please. Both on the same page.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

Here are two preliminary observations regarding the B&B records. #37, the 1789 record titled as B&B of Adrian Klimczak is actually the B&B of Roch Klimczak. The priest was a member of the Carmelite religious order who was living the convent of St. Adrian. In record #39 the child is Mateusz (Matthew) rather than Maciej (Mathias). Both given names are of biblical origin and their Latin forms are similar but not interchangeable. In Latin Mateusz/Matthew is a Second Declension noun and Maciej/Mathias is a First Declension noun. Latin dictionaries (and the list of Latin given names I compiled) give the Nominative Singular followed by the Genitive Singular and the gender, which allows the noun to be properly identified. Mateusz/Matthew in Latin is Mathaeus, Mathaei, m. (In the record the diphthong appears as æ to make it clear that the vowels form only one syllable.). In Latin Maciej/Mathias is Mathias, Mathiae, m. In the record the name appears in the Accusative Case since it is the direct object of the verb baptisavi (I baptized) in apposition with infantem (an infant).

Here follow the translations.

Dave

39. Kiełczewo Smużne: In the year as above on the 20th day of September, I, who is above, baptized an infant by the name of Mateusz, a son the legitimate marriage of the industrious Norbert Rukoski and Maryanna. The sponsors were the upright Bartłomiej Raczkoski from Kiełczewo Smużne and the noble Scholastyka Rzeszotarska, a stewardess from Wrząca Wielka.

37. Kiełczewo Smużne: In the year 1789 on the 13th day of August I, brother Eustachy, a member of the convent of Saint Adrian of the Carmelite Order in Kłodawa, baptized an infant by the name of Roch, the son of the legitimate marital union of the industrious Kazimierz Klymczak and Ewa. The sponsors were the upright Tomasz Sampolski with Rozalia Nawiezczonka(?), a maiden, both from the same village.
TedMack

Replies: 479

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:12 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

I can now see where I went wrong with the Christian names now that you point it out. Hopefully I have the next lot correct although I have the sneaking suspicion that the one I have as Lucjusz may be Lucja and the one where I can't determine the Christian name may be Kunegunda/Kinga?

Anyway, these will be the last ones for this year as the FamilySearch library is now closed until late January.

I have continued my search in Wrząca Wielka parish and have a few records and will send them in 2 requests. Part of this research is still dealing with Krawczyk - Bełkowski and trying to unravel if they could be one and the same family. Still need to go through death and marriage records for Wrząca Wielka, Mąkoszyn and possibly Osiek Wielki parishes to work it out. I note that there was a change of village from previous records, and possibly a new surname used?

So the usual deal - I have attached the cropped records but have the full pages if required and when time permits if you could provide a translation that would be great.

I'll start with the Krawczyk's.

Cheers
Ted

B&B C Krawczyk 1791 - r32 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  235.32 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

B&B C Krawczyk 1791 - r32 (crop).jpg

B&B Katarzyna Krawczyk 1805 - R674 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  213.85 KB

B&B  Katarzyna Krawczyk 1805 - R674 (crop).jpg

B&B Marianna Krawczyk 1803 - R506 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  163.06 KB

B&B Marianna Krawczyk 1803 - R506 (crop).jpg

Last edited by TedMack on Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
TedMack

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:16 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

This is the next and final lot.

Cheers
Ted

B&B Lucian Klimczak 1784 - record 56 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  194.41 KB

B&B Lucian Klimczak 1784 - record 56 (crop).jpg

B&B Lucjusz Antczak 1802 - R428 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  198.83 KB

B&B Lucjusz Antczak 1802 - R428 (crop).jpg

B&B Gabryel Antczak 1805 - R643 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  149.67 KB

B&B Gabryel Antczak 1805 - R643 (crop).jpg

elitra

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:57 am      Post subject: Latin translation to Polish or English

I would greatly appreciate your help in translating old letter written in 1501 from the castellan of Chełm, Jędrzej Susza aka Jędrzej (Wołczek) ze Świerż.
I am looking for:
• Name-Stanislaus de Zolkyew aka Żółkiew and
• Village-Dorohusk aka Dorohowsk aka Drohiczyn Chelmski.
• Document is from Biblioteka Ordynacji Zamoyskich ze Zwierzyńca.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J7jpGKuDiNwA6H643UtVDsRPwuCHA3Z1/view?usp=sharing

Thank you for your time!

59-b.Dzieje Dorohuska,pergamin Stanislaus-Stanislaw z Zolkwi str.322.jpg
 Description:
Letter written in 1501
 Filesize:  162.09 KB

59-b.Dzieje Dorohuska,pergamin Stanislaus-Stanislaw z Zolkwi str.322.jpg

yjurko22

Replies: 13

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:08 pm      Post subject:

Hello,
would anyone be able to translate the family of Joannes Jurkowski born 31.12.1900? I am specifically interested in the names of his maternal grandparent's names after Julianna Bilinska. Thank you in advance!

Joannes.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  845.01 KB

Joannes.jpeg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:06 am      Post subject:

yjurko22 wrote:
Hello,
would anyone be able to translate the family of Joannes Jurkowski born 31.12.1900? I am specifically interested in the names of his maternal grandparent's names after Julianna Bilinska. Thank you in advance!

Hi Yjurko22,
To my eye, what is written is that Julia Bilinska is "fil. Dimetrii et Irenae Bystrzykowska."
That would make the maternal grandfather Demetrius (Latin) / Demetrius or Dmitri (English) / Dymitr (Polish).
The maternal grandmother would be Irenae (Latin) / Irene (English) / Irena (Polish) and her maiden name is Bystrzykowska.
Best of luck in your research,
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:30 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

I can now see where I went wrong with the Christian names now that you point it out. Hopefully I have the next lot correct although I have the sneaking suspicion that the one I have as Lucjusz may be Lucja and the one where I can't determine the Christian name may be Kunegunda/Kinga?

Anyway, these will be the last ones for this year as the FamilySearch library is now closed until late January.

I have continued my search in Wrząca Wielka parish and have a few records and will send them in 2 requests. Part of this research is still dealing with Krawczyk - Bełkowski and trying to unravel if they could be one and the same family. Still need to go through death and marriage records for Wrząca Wielka, Mąkoszyn and possibly Osiek Wielki parishes to work it out. I note that there was a change of village from previous records, and possibly a new surname used?

So the usual deal - I have attached the cropped records but have the full pages if required and when time permits if you could provide a translation that would be great.

Ted,

Here are three translations.

Merry Xmas & Happy New Year or as is said in lingua Latina, Felicia Christi natalitia et annum faustum.

Dave

32 Kielczewo Smużne. On the 31st day of July I, the same who is above, baptized an infant girl by the name of Kunegunda of the legal marriage of the industrious Norbert and Maryanna, serfs, whose sponsors (lit. those lifting her from the Sacred Font) were the well-born Wawrzyniec Komorowski (word cut off by tight binding) Kiełe(?) with the industrious Maryanna ?armienowa from (cut off due to tight binding),

74. Jokołowo. On the 3rd day of November I baptized an infant by the name of Katarzyna of the legal marriage of the industrious Norbert and Maryanna Bełkowski. The sponsors were the industrious Piątkiewicz, a bachelor, with Urszula ???barzewska, both from Sokołowo.

506. Sokołowo. On the 30th of December I, the same who is above, baptized an infant by the name of Maryanna of the legitimate marriage of Norbert and Maryanna Susztaczewski. The sponsors were Jakub, a servant, with Rozalia Klimczakowa from Sokołowo.

I'll start with the Krawczyk's.

Cheers
Ted
treich

Replies: 167

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:30 am      Post subject: Transcription Help

I am asking for a review of my transcription of the attached birth record from the Michalki church books. I think that I am seeing Latin.

Grzemby

Helena Golkin nat. den 5ten Januarius renat. den 6ten eodem

Peter Christoph Golke
Mater Helena Zabebin

Testes
1. Andreas Goerke
2. Christian Grampetin
3. Helena Dobrzkin

Screenshot 2022-12-26 102313.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  192.93 KB

Screenshot 2022-12-26 102313.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:13 pm      Post subject: Re: Transcription Help

treich wrote:
I am asking for a review of my transcription of the attached birth record from the Michalki church books. I think that I am seeing Latin.

Grzemby

Helena Golkin nat. den 5ten Januarius renat. den 6ten eodem

Peter Christoph Golke
Mater Helena Zabebin

Testes
1. Andreas Goerke
2. Christian Grampetin
3. Helena Dobrzkin

Hi,

There are Latin words in the record with German mixed in or vice versa. I would suggest that you run this by Michael.

I’ve made a few modifications to what appear to be pure Latin words (usually by adding the correct case ending to truncated words. I also added English punctuation marks (colons) to the names of the parents fpr clarity. Some of the given names could be either German or Latin.

Grzemby

Helena Golkin nat(a) den 5ten Januarius* renat(a) den 6ten eodem**

Pater: Christoph Golke
Mater: Helena Zabebin

Testes
1. Andreas Goerke
2. Christian Grampetin
3. Helena Dobrzkin

Notes: *Januarius: The correct Latin form would be Januarii (Genitive Singular) but Januarius may be the way such records named the first month.
**eodem is the Ablative Singular Masculine of the Demonstrative Pronoun idem, eadem, idem (the same). The Ablative would mean ‘in the same (month)” but the pronoun would usually appear in the Genitive Singular (eiusdem/ejusdem) and would mean “of the same (month)".

Wishing you success,

Dave
treich

Replies: 167

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:25 pm      Post subject:

Thank you Dave.

I guessed with eodem. ejusdem looks closer on review.

Would I be correct that the translation could be

Helene Golke born 5 January baptized 6 of the same month?

Does Testes=witnesses?
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:18 pm      Post subject:

treich wrote:
Thank you Dave.

I guessed with eodem. ejusdem looks closer on review.

Would I be correct that the translation could be

Helene Golke born 5 January baptized 6 of the same month?

Does Testes=witnesses?

Hi,

That would be a correct translation. A slightly smoother translation would be "Helene Golke was born on 5 January (and) was baptized on the 6th of the same month".

Testes does mean witnesses. The usual term in RC baptisms is "patrini" which means "sponsors" who are commonly known as "godparents" and only 2 patrini are allowed per the individual being baptized. Anyone else present is usually said to be assisting at the baptism. Of the three individuals named Helena would be the female sponsor aka the godmother. Since don't know whether this is an ecclesiastical record or a civil transcript it is not possible to be more definite about the use of the term testes/witnesses.

Dave
TedMack

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:29 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

dnowicki wrote:

Ted,

Here are three translations.

Merry Xmas & Happy New Year or as is said in lingua Latina, Felicia Christi natalitia et annum faustum.

Dave

32 Kielczewo Smużne. On the 31st day of July I, the same who is above, baptized an infant girl by the name of Kunegunda of the legal marriage of the industrious Norbert and Maryanna, serfs, whose sponsors (lit. those lifting her from the Sacred Font) were the well-born Wawrzyniec Komorowski (word cut off by tight binding) Kiełe(?) with the industrious Maryanna ?armienowa from (cut off due to tight binding),

74. Jokołowo. On the 3rd day of November I baptized an infant by the name of Katarzyna of the legal marriage of the industrious Norbert and Maryanna Bełkowski. The sponsors were the industrious Piątkiewicz, a bachelor, with Urszula ???barzewska, both from Sokołowo.

506. Sokołowo. On the 30th of December I, the same who is above, baptized an infant by the name of Maryanna of the legitimate marriage of Norbert and Maryanna Susztaczewski. The sponsors were Jakub, a servant, with Rozalia Klimczakowa from Sokołowo.

Thanks Dave

Looks like I need quite some more work on this family. Have you had a chance to look at the other 3 records I sent with these?

Hope the weather has not been bad in your neck of the woods as reported in the local media and you have kept warm.

Wesołych Świąt i Szczęśliwego Nowego Roku.

Cheers

Ted
who

Replies: 86

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:42 pm      Post subject:

Hi,

I have a transcription of a record written in latin. I don't have access to the photo. In general I understand that is a baptism of a adult woman from judaism to catholic faith, but what I dont understand why this record indicates that the town is Liw, but the baptism happened in the church of Grębkow, no far from Liw, Masovian Voivodeship. Grębków has its own vital records book, so why they decided to record the baptism in the church of Liw instead lf Grębków.

Thanks!!! Hapoy New Year!

LATIN:
Liw. Anno 1771. dies 5 September. Ego Theodor Jezierski Prapositus Infulatus Livensis baptisavi in Eclesia Parcochia Grębkoviensis femina ex judaismo conversam cum imposus nomem Rosa dato cognomine Wrzeszynska. Patrini fuerunt illustres Andreas Kraszewski Regimentarias Confereatonis Terd Varsaviensis cum Bogumila Zaborowska judicias terrestris ceroens custantes Josephus Zaborowski Judicida Terrestris cerncrum, Generosa Anna Szanowska terrestris prefectura confederatina et Rosalia Szanowska virgine.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:15 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:

Thanks Dave

Looks like I need quite some more work on this family. Have you had a chance to look at the other 3 records I sent with these?

Hope the weather has not been bad in your neck of the woods as reported in the local media and you have kept warm.

Wesołych Świąt i Szczęśliwego Nowego Roku.

Cheers

Ted[/quote]

Hi Ted,

Weather prognosticators make a big deal of every storm and cold snap. This one over Xmas was no big deal. The temp was a couple of degrees below zero Fahrenheit and the snow accumulation was 3 to 4 inches—again no big deal. In Chicago record cold temps at Xmas were set at minus 25 degrees on Xmas Eve of 1983. Interestingly the warmest Xmas was the previous year when the temp on Christmas Day was 64 degrees Fahrenheit. Michigan City is prone to lake effect snow and a lake effect snow in 1958 totaled five feet.

I would recommend that you pay attention to the endings on the names of the children being baptized. They are always in the Accusative Singular and are am, um, and em depending on the Declension to which the name belongs. The ending am is almost always for females (with the exception of some masculine Biblical names). Names ending in um are masculine and nouns ending in em can be either masculine or feminine.

Yes, I looked at the last three records. The time involved in reading the pedestrian entries is minimal but it must coincide with the willingness to spend the time typing the translation—something which is in short supply as of late.

Here follow the final 3 translations.

Happy 11th Day of Xmas.

Dave

Kielczewo Smużne: On the 12th day of December, the same who is above baptized the infant daughter of the legal marriage of the industrious Kazimierz and Ewa Kazmierzczak by the name of Lucja. Her sponsors were the industrious Kazimierz Swider from the estate of the Beliwskis with Barbara Miszczakowa(?) from Kielczewo Smużne.

428. Kielczewo Smużne: On the 15th day of December I, the same who is above, conditionally baptized* an infant by the name of Lucja (born) of the legal marriage of the industrious Ludwik and Rosina** Antczak. The sponsors were the renowned Józef Piotrowski with Małgorzata Klimczakowa, both from Kielczewo Smużne.

Notes: *baptisavi sub conditione/I conditionally baptized: Evidently the child had been baptized at home due to danger of death. The priest conditionally baptized the child in case the home baptism had not been done properly.
**Rosina: an obscure saint who may or may not have existed. She is venerated in Bavaria as St. Rosina of Wenglingen.

43. Kielczewo Smużne: On the 24th day of March I, the same who is above, baptized an infant by the name of Gabriel (born) of the legal marriage of the industrious Ludwik and Rosina Antczak. The sponsors were Ewa Anna Kolska with Jakub Urbaniak, both from Kielczewo Smużne.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:23 am      Post subject:

who wrote:
Hi,

I have a transcription of a record written in latin. I don't have access to the photo. In general I understand that is a baptism of a adult woman from judaism to catholic faith, but what I dont understand why this record indicates that the town is Liw, but the baptism happened in the church of Grębkow, no far from Liw, Masovian Voivodeship. Grębków has its own vital records book, so why they decided to record the baptism in the church of Liw instead lf Grębków.

Thanks!!! Hapoy New Year!

LATIN:
Liw. Anno 1771. dies 5 September. Ego Theodor Jezierski Prapositus Infulatus Livensis baptisavi in Eclesia Parcochia Grębkoviensis femina ex judaismo conversam cum imposus nomem Rosa dato cognomine Wrzeszynska. Patrini fuerunt illustres Andreas Kraszewski Regimentarias Confereatonis Terd Varsaviensis cum Bogumila Zaborowska judicias terrestris ceroens custantes Josephus Zaborowski Judicida Terrestris cerncrum, Generosa Anna Szanowska terrestris prefectura confederatina et Rosalia Szanowska virgine.

Hi,

It seems to me that the baptism was recorded in Liw due to ecclesiastical politics. The sponsors and the baptizing priest were upper crust individuals. The sponsors held political offices (with the exception of the maiden Rozalia Szanowska). One can surmise that the new convert also was a person of some renown or influence in the Jewish community. The priest is described as “praepositus infulatus Livensis/the mitered superior/prior of Liw”. “Infulatus/mitered means that the priest, although he was not a bishop, was entitled to use the regalia of a bishop, including wearing a miter, as symbols of his status. I don’t know the ins and outs of the ecclesiastical politics involved with being a “mitered” prior or abbot but obviously he was considered to be a cut above an ordinary parish priest. (Keep in mind that at the time priests came almost exclusively from the szlachta but that there was a pecking order among the clergy.) The priest likely decided that in keeping with his actual or perceived status within the pecking order he would record the baptism in the place where he held sway.

I hope this helps.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 248, 249, 250 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 249 of 274

Jump to: