PolishOrigins Forum

 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
Message
Trish



Joined: 23 Sep 2020
Replies: 167

Back to top
Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:04 pm      Post subject: William Hoffman’s “Polish Surnames “ book - look up request
Reply with quote

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone had the William Hoffman’s “Polish Surnames “ book? If so, could you do a surname look-up for me?

Can you please look up the surnames of Broda and Brodowski?

My g.g.grandfather was Dominik Broda. He was from the town of Peterswalde, Kreis Schlochau, Stuhm, West Prussia, Germany (Now known as: Cierznie, Debrzno, Czluchow, Pomerania, Poland).

The interesting thing is that once in the USA, Dominik used the surname of Brodowski. Was this common practice to go from Broda to Brodowski? Always wonder why he just didn't keep to the surname Broda.

Thank you for your help!
Trish
View user's profile
Send private message
BarbOslo



Joined: 19 Nov 2022
Replies: 39

Back to top
Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:03 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hi Trish,
Surnames changed over time. It is quite common that Broda has become Brodowski. It's still the same.
Example:
Kowal = Kowalski
Zdun = Zdunski
Do you need help from the area of Debrzno or Czluchow? I have access to records.
Barbara
View user's profile
Send private message
Trish



Joined: 23 Sep 2020
Replies: 167

Back to top
Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:12 am      Post subject: Re: William Hoffman’s “Polish Surnames “ book - look up requ
Reply with quote

Trish wrote:
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone had the William Hoffman’s “Polish Surnames “ book? If so, could you do a surname look-up for me?

Can you please look up the surnames of Broda and Brodowski?

My g.g.grandfather was Dominik Broda. He was from the town of Peterswalde, Kreis Schlochau, Stuhm, West Prussia, Germany (Now known as: Cierznie, Debrzno, Czluchow, Pomerania, Poland).

The interesting thing is that once in the USA, Dominik used the surname of Brodowski. Was this common practice to go from Broda to Brodowski? Always wonder why he just didn't keep to the surname Broda.

Thank you for your help!
Trish


Hi Barbara,
Thank you for the offer to look up records. I have a majority of the records from familysearch.org. Do you have access to other records or were you referring to the records from familysearch.org?

I was hoping if someone had William Hoffman’s book that they could look up what the surname Broda and Brodowski meant. I know that Pisarski means scribe. So I was curious as to what Broda and Brodowski meant.

Thank you again for the reply.
Trish
View user's profile
Send private message
BarbOslo



Joined: 19 Nov 2022
Replies: 39

Back to top
Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:15 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hello,
broda = beard
I have the records from the Pelplin Diocese Archive. Ask if you are missing something. I can check then.
Barbara
View user's profile
Send private message
BarbOslo



Joined: 19 Nov 2022
Replies: 39

Back to top
Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:22 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

I see that Debrzno has all the records on FamilySearch.
Czluchow has not posted any records. Or am I looking wrong?

Barb
View user's profile
Send private message
Trish



Joined: 23 Sep 2020
Replies: 167

Back to top
Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:58 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

BarbOslo wrote:
Hello,
broda = beard
I have the records from the Pelplin Diocese Archive. Ask if you are missing something. I can check then.
Barbara


Hi Barbara,
Thank you for the meaing of Broda.

I was able to get a majority of the records from familysearch.org for my Broda family.
Katholische Kirche Pestlin (Kr. Stuhm).
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/306326?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Can you tell me how the Pelplin Diocese Archives relates to Peterswalde?

Have a good day!
Trish
View user's profile
Send private message
BarbOslo



Joined: 19 Nov 2022
Replies: 39

Back to top
Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:44 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hi Trish,
Peterswalde (pol.Pietrzwałd) does not belong to Pelplin Diocese Archives.
Do you have an account at Myheritage? Please send me the link. Then I can see if I can contribute something.
Best regards, Barbara
View user's profile
Send private message
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Replies: 2610
Location: Michigan City, Indiana

Back to top
Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:40 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

BarbOslo wrote:
Hi Trish,
Peterswalde (pol.Pietrzwałd) does not belong to Pelplin Diocese Archives.
Do you have an account at Myheritage? Please send me the link. Then I can see if I can contribute something.
Best regards, Barbara


Hi Trish & Barb,

The village of Pietrzwald belonged to the parish of Postolin which is in the Diocese of Elbląg. Family Search has parish books online.

Wishing you successful researching,

Dave
View user's profile
Send private message
Trish



Joined: 23 Sep 2020
Replies: 167

Back to top
Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:48 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

dnowicki wrote:
BarbOslo wrote:
Hi Trish,
Peterswalde (pol.Pietrzwałd) does not belong to Pelplin Diocese Archives.
Do you have an account at Myheritage? Please send me the link. Then I can see if I can contribute something.
Best regards, Barbara


Hi Trish & Barb,

The village of Pietrzwald belonged to the parish of Postolin which is in the Diocese of Elbląg. Family Search has parish books online.

Wishing you successful researching,

Dave


Hi Barbara and Dave,
Barbara, thank you for the offer to help. Yes, I have MyHeritage.

Dave, thank you for the information. I did go through the Postolin (Pestlin) records and found records for Dominik Broda's parents and siblings. I am still missing some information on the family. I'll have to double check familysearch again for records.

Thank you both for the advice and help. Have a wonderful day!
Trish
View user's profile
Send private message
BarbOslo



Joined: 19 Nov 2022
Replies: 39

Back to top
Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:50 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Correct. Belongs to Elblag Diocese.
Barbara
View user's profile
Send private message
MikeP



Joined: 27 Apr 2020
Replies: 11
Location: Houston, Texas, USA

Back to top
Post Posted: 6 Days ago at 12:52 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hi Trish,

I have William Hoffman’s “Polish Surnames “, 3rd edition.

Page 75: Brod- roots in broda, “beard”, bród, “ford, wading place” and brodzić, “to wade across, ford”. Many Polish citizens have the surname Broda.

Page 76: Brodowski is a place name, toponym. There are several villages with the name Brodowo.

Good luck with your research!

Mike
View user's profile
Send private message
Trish



Joined: 23 Sep 2020
Replies: 167

Back to top
Post Posted: 6 Days ago at 2:19 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

MikeP wrote:
Hi Trish,

I have William Hoffman’s “Polish Surnames “, 3rd edition.

Page 75: Brod- roots in broda, “beard”, bród, “ford, wading place” and brodzić, “to wade across, ford”. Many Polish citizens have the surname Broda.

Page 76: Brodowski is a place name, toponym. There are several villages with the name Brodowo.

Good luck with your research!

Mike


Hi Mike,
Thank you so much for looking up the surname for me. I do appreciate it.

Can I ask for one more? The surname Ostrowski.

I know that Pisarski means scribe or writing.

Thank you again. Have a great day!
Trish
View user's profile
Send private message
MikeP



Joined: 27 Apr 2020
Replies: 11
Location: Houston, Texas, USA

Back to top
Post Posted: 5 Days ago at 9:17 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hi Trish,

Page 520: Ostrowski is also a place name: Ostrów, Ostrowo, Ostrowsko. Hoffman indicates that there are numerous places with these names.

Page 556: Pisarski is from the verb pisać “to write”. Pisarz is a “scribe, writer”. As an adjective pisarski means “writing”.

Mike
View user's profile
Send private message
Trish



Joined: 23 Sep 2020
Replies: 167

Back to top
Post Posted: 5 Days ago at 11:41 am      Post subject:
Reply with quote

MikeP wrote:
Hi Trish,

Page 520: Ostrowski is also a place name: Ostrów, Ostrowo, Ostrowsko. Hoffman indicates that there are numerous places with these names.

Page 556: Pisarski is from the verb pisać “to write”. Pisarz is a “scribe, writer”. As an adjective pisarski means “writing”.

Mike


Hi Mike,
Thank you for taking the time to look up my surnames and posting the information.

Have a wonderful day!
Trish
View user's profile
Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB ©

© 2009-2023 COPYRIGHTS BY THE OWNER OF POLISHORIGINS.COM