PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 251, 252, 253 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:32 am      Post subject:

Dave -

Thanks for the very quick response - it is greatly appreciated!

Regarding the village name in the 1819 marriage record, Aleksander's team had indicated the record was from Nowa Cerkiew parish, in the village of Nowa Cerkiew (German: Neukirch) - does make sense to you?

In translating the 1788 record, although I agree that the ecclesiastical legalities are not critical to the genealogical research, I do find it interesting and would therefore appreciate the inclusion of "understood part of the “etc.” in your translation.

Thanks again for your timely help.

Ken
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 691

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:58 am      Post subject:

shecallsmemister wrote:
Dave -

Regarding the village name in the 1819 marriage record, Aleksander's team had indicated the record was from Nowa Cerkiew parish, in the village of Nowa Cerkiew (German: Neukirch) - does make sense to you?

In translating the 1788 record, although I agree that the ecclesiastical legalities are not critical to the genealogical research, I do find it interesting and would therefore appreciate the inclusion of "understood part of the “etc.” in your translation.

Ken

Hi Ken,
Is it Nowa Cerkiew (Pomorskie)? If you need some records from there? Contact me.
Best regards, Barbara
shecallsmemister

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:55 pm      Post subject: Pomorskie, Poland - Villages of Nowa Cerkiew and Rzeżęcin

Barbara -

Thank you so much for your offer - I have provided a brief recap of my family from this area below for your assistance.

Although I would appreciate records you may have for any of these family members, I am specifically interested in obtaining documentation on Simon Manuszewski (abt 1748-1813) and Anna Paradowska (abt 1748-1813) birth/baptismal records, and any records of Simon or Anna's parents.

Simon Manuszewski (abt 1748-1813) and Anna Paradowska (abt 1748-1813) were married in Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland, Village of Rzeżęcin and had the following children:
• Carolus Martinus born October 31, 1788 in Rzeżęcin (Nowa Cerkiew Parish)
• Simon Joannes, born October 20, 1790 in Rzeżęcin (Nowa Cerkiew Parish)
• Ambrozy (Ambrosius) born April 3, 1794 in Rzeżęcin (Nowa Cerkiew Parish)

Children of Ambrosius Manuszewski and Julianna Zyglara include:
• Kajetan (Latin: Cajetanus), born August 5, 1820 in Nowa Cerkiew
• Franciszek (Latin: Franciscus), born December 39, 1821 in Nowa Cerkiew
• Joannes, born July 28, 1824 in Bielawki (Peplin Parish)
• Catharina, born December 31, 1826 in Borkowo (Nowa Cerkiew Parish)
• Michael, born October 1, 1830 in Borkowo (Nowa Cerkiew Parish)
• Joseph (Josef), born August 26, 1833 in Nowa Cerkiew
• Barbara, born August 1, 1837 in Borkowo (Nowa Cerkiew Parish)
• Peter, born January 20, 1841 in Małe Wyręby (Piaseczno Parish)
• Marianna, born September 16, 1844 in Małe Wyręby (Piaseczno Parish)

Joseph (Jozef) Manuszewski (1833-1919) and Anna Badzimiera (1831-1919) had seven children:
• Jan, born December 23, 1856 in Nowa Cerkiew
• Joseph, born December 11, 1859 in Nowa Cerkiew
• Franciszek (Frank) born January 17, 1864 in Nowa Cerkiew
• Leon, born October 26, 1866 in Nowa Cerkiew
• Anna, born March 10, 1869 in Nowa Cerkiew
• Peter born June 18, 1871 in Nowa Cerkiew
• Joanna, born September, 1873 in Nowa Cerkiew

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Ken
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:00 am      Post subject: Re: Pomorskie, Poland - Villages of Nowa Cerkiew and Rzeżęci

shecallsmemister wrote:
Barbara -

Thank you so much for your offer - I have provided a brief recap of my family from this area below for your assistance.

Although I would appreciate records you may have for any of these family members, I am specifically interested in obtaining documentation on Simon Manuszewski (abt 1748-1813) and Anna Paradowska (abt 1748-1813) birth/baptismal records, and any records of Simon or Anna's parents.

Simon Manuszewski (abt 1748-1813) and Anna Paradowska (abt 1748-1813) were married in Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland, Village of Rzeżęcin and had the following children:

Joseph (Jozef) Manuszewski (1833-1919) and Anna Badzimiera (1831-1919) had seven children:

Ken
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:37 pm      Post subject: Re: Pomorskie, Poland - Villages of Nowa Cerkiew and Rzeżęci

BarbOslo wrote:
shecallsmemister wrote:
Barbara -

Ken

check PM,
Barbara
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:07 pm      Post subject:

shecallsmemister wrote:
Dave -

Ken

Hi Ken,

Since Nowa Cerkiew was the parish where Alexander told you the records were found that is how the village should be identified. It saves time when translating a record to have that sort of info beforehand. The PO guidelines for translation requests https://polishorigins.com/records-translations-guidelines/ provide advice on what to do when posting a request for the translation of a record.

The page following your record contains as list titled “Communicantes in 1788”, which is actually an Easter Duty list. Records from parishes where my ancestors who lived in the areas taken by Prussia in the First Partition of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, officially known as The Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania (Polish: Królestwo Polskie i Wielkie Księstwo Litewskie, Latin: Regnum Poloniae Magnusque Ducatus Lithuaniae) and commonly was known as The Commonwealth of the Two Nations (Polish: Rzeczpospolita Obojga Narodów, Latin: Res Publica Utriusque Nationis) include Easter Duty Lists which include the names of those who had made their First Communion (at between the ages of 12 & 14). The lists are found for many of the years of the 3rd quarter of the 18th Century and act like a census of adults for those years. They usually include the status/occupation of the individuals and are arranged by family groups. The list in your record is a summary of the number of male and of female Communicants residing in each village of the parish. If the detailed lists for the parish of Nowa Cerkiew are extant in an archive you may find them helpful. If there are lists earlier than 1788 they may provide a way to determine the parents of Szymon and of Anna.

The translation does not flow like a literary gem but that is due to the way the original was composed. The record was not really meant to be translated as a literary masterpiece but was intended only to record the marriage. All the etc.s make the translation more stilted. Keep in mind that what is good Latin style does not translate into good English if one tries to keep the translation as literal as possible.

The translation follows.

All the best,

Dave

Left Margin: (Village of) Rzeżęcin; A soldier

Body of Entry: September
A bachelor; soldier, 40 years of Age with a former virgin*, 32 years of age.
I, Fabian Ustarbowski, (abbreviation of the religious order of which he was a member), pastor of Nowa Cerkiew , dekenat/deanery of Morzeszczyn, in the Year of Our Lord 1788, actually on the 21st day of the month of September and the 19th Sunday after Pentecost**, (after the three) announcements (of the banns) had been proclaimed beforehand (and since no impediment had been detected) joined in marriage in the presence of the congregation of the parish of Nowa Cerkiew the upright***Szymon/Simon Manuszewski, a bachelor from the village of Rzeżęcin, and Anna Paradowska, already beforehand impregnated by the same (i. e. the groom), from the same village, (whom in the) Sacred (Rite) after I questioned (them according to the rite of matrimony) and after having received (their mutual consent and (since) no (civil or ecclesiastical impediment stood in the way). The witnesses (were) the upright*** Jakub/Jacob Maz(?)orski, a leaseholder (&) soltys**** of Rzeżęcin, and Józef/Joseph Odryon(?), a colonist***** in Nowa Cerkiew, (both) worthy of trust. Afterwords I blessed (the marriage) according to the Rite (of Holy Mother Church)******.

Notes: *virgo/virgin: Usually in ecclesiastical records the word is used to describe a female who had not been married (a maiden/maid). Here, however, the word is used to describe a physical virgin. The reason why she is described as a former virgin are made clear later in the text.

**the 19th Sunday after Pentecost: In the R. C. liturgical calendar which was in use until after the Second Vatican Council the Sundays during the period from the Feast of Pentecost until the First Sunday of Advent Sundays were counted as “Sunday after Pentecost”. Now they are known as Sundays in Ordinary Time.

***honestus/upright: an adjective used to describe a peasant (usually a farmer) from a village or small town. The adjective is plural and thus refers to both the bride and the groom and to both witnesses.

****scultetus/sołtys: a village administrator

*****colonus/colonist: originally a settler in a new settlement. The term was used with various meanings in various places and times.

******ritu/Rite:The marriage ceremony as found in what was known as “Rituale Romanum” (The Roman Ritual), a book which contained the text of rituals used for the Sacraments, blessings, ceremonies, etc.
shecallsmemister

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:54 pm      Post subject:

Dave -

I apologize for my incomplete request submission to you - I believe I understand the frustration you experience when this occurs.

That said, I feel you did a great job with my translation requests - you communicated well, provided a clear explanation of the translation options, the translations were excellent and your surprising quick responses were greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your assistance!!

Ken
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:04 am      Post subject:

shecallsmemister wrote:
Dave -

I apologize for my incomplete request submission to you - I believe I understand the frustration you experience when this occurs.

That said, I feel you did a great job with my translation requests - you communicated well, provided a clear explanation of the translation options, the translations were excellent and your surprising quick responses were greatly appreciated.

Ken

Ken,

The column headings are standard for the German Partition in 1871. From 1820 until 1874 civil transcripts were copies of parish registers (Catholic & Evangelical aka Lutheran). Several minor changes to the exact exact wording of the headings were made during those 50+ years. From 1874 until the end of WWI civil records were no longer transcripts of parish registers but were produced by civil registry offices which had no religious connection. Those records were kept in German. Post 1874 the majority of Catholic parishes continued to use the columnar format with the same headings for ecclesiastical records.

It has always been my goal not to act as a translating machine but rather to provide tools and help to enable members of this form to become more self-sufficient in dealing with Latin records. (The old adage of giving a person a fish vs. teaching that person how to fish.) Attached are a list of given names with their Latin, Polish, & English versions and a list of Latin occupations with their English translation. Taken together with resources like those on Family Search they can be a useful part of the contents of toolbox for reading Latin records. I hope that you find them useful.

The translation follows.

Dave

Col. 1: Numerus = Number (for the year): 10

Col. 2: Annus et Dies Copulationis = The Year and Day of the Marriage: 1871 May 29

Col. 3: Nomen Sacerdotis Copulantis = The Name of the Officiating Priest (lit. of the marrying priest): Ditto (same as 1st entry on the page)

Col. 4: Nomen et Cognomen Copulatorum, locus habitationis, conditio et professio, et utrum copulatio in ecclesia vel in aedibus privatis subsecuta = The First Name and Surname of those marrying, (their) place of residence, condition and profession, and whether the marriage followed in a church or in a private building: Walenty Nowakowski, a craftsman, with Józefa Lewandowska, a female servant, both from Go.*

Col. 5: Utrum in matrimonio jam vixere nec non utrum sub tutela parentum vel tutorum adhuc existant? Whether they already have lived in the state of matrimony or, if not, whether they remained to this time under the tutelage of (their) parents or guardians? A bachelor (&) a maiden

Col. 6: Aetas = Age
Col. 6a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: 30
Col. 6b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: 25

Col. 7: Religio = Religion
Col. 7a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: Catholic
Col. 7b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: Catholic

Col. 8: Consensus Parentum vel Tutorum = The Consent of the Parents or of the Guardians: Blank

Col. 9: Proclamatio Bannorum = The Proclamation of the Banns: The 4th, 5th and 6th Sundays after Easter**

Col. 10: Dispensatio a proclamatione = Dispensation from the proclamation (of the banns): Blank

Col. 11: Testes = Witnesses: Ignacy Lewandowski, a miller from (illegible); Jan Lewandowski (from) Go.*; Józef Skororoński (?) (from) Go.*

Col. 12: Adnotationes = Notations: Entries from previous column spilled over into this column. Otherwise the column is blank.

Notes: *Go.: If this record is from the parish of Gniezno, the abbreviation stands for the name of the city.

** The dates are given according to the liturgical calendar in use at the time. Should you wish to convert the dates to the civil calendar simply Google the date of Easter in 1871 and count the Sundays after Easter that year.

2022 September 16 Latin-English Occupations.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  2022 September 16 Latin-English Occupations.pdf
 Filesize:  84.76 KB
 Downloaded:  95 Time(s)

GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH 8 January 2023.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH 8 January 2023.pdf
 Filesize:  75.28 KB
 Downloaded:  57 Time(s)

shecallsmemister

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:15 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
shecallsmemister wrote:
Dave -

Ken

Ken,

The column headings are standard for the German Partition in 1871. From 1820 until 1874 civil transcripts were copies of parish registers (Catholic & Evangelical aka Lutheran). Several minor changes to the exact exact wording of the headings were made during those 50+ years. From 1874 until the end of WWI civil records were no longer transcripts of parish registers but were produced by civil registry offices which had no religious connection. Those records were kept in German. Post 1874 the majority of Catholic parishes continued to use the columnar format with the same headings for ecclesiastical records.

It has always been my goal not to act as a translating machine but rather to provide tools and help to enable members of this form to become more self-sufficient in dealing with Latin records. (The old adage of giving a person a fish vs. teaching that person how to fish.) Attached are a list of given names with their Latin, Polish, & English versions and a list of Latin occupations with their English translation. Taken together with resources like those on Family Search they can be a useful part of the contents of toolbox for reading Latin records. I hope that you find them useful.

The translation follows.

Dave

Col. 2: Annus et Dies Copulationis = The Year and Day of the Marriage: 1871 May 29

Col. 3: Nomen Sacerdotis Copulantis = The Name of the Officiating Priest (lit. of the marrying priest): Ditto (same as 1st entry on the page)

Col. 4: Nomen et Cognomen Copulatorum, locus habitationis, conditio et professio, et utrum copulatio in ecclesia vel in aedibus privatis subsecuta = The First Name and Surname of those marrying, (their) place of residence, condition and profession, and whether the marriage followed in a church or in a private building: Walenty Nowakowski, a craftsman, with Józefa Lewandowska, a female servant, both from Go.*

Col. 5: Utrum in matrimonio jam vixere nec non utrum sub tutela parentum vel tutorum adhuc existant? Whether they already have lived in the state of matrimony or, if not, whether they remained to this time under the tutelage of (their) parents or guardians? A bachelor (&) a maiden

Col. 8: Consensus Parentum vel Tutorum = The Consent of the Parents or of the Guardians: Blank

Col. 9: Proclamatio Bannorum = The Proclamation of the Banns: The 4th, 5th and 6th Sundays after Easter**

Col. 10: Dispensatio a proclamatione = Dispensation from the proclamation (of the banns): Blank

Col. 11: Testes = Witnesses: Ignacy Lewandowski, a miller from (illegible); Jan Lewandowski (from) Go.*; Józef Skororoński (?) (from) Go.*

Col. 12: Adnotationes = Notations: Entries from previous column spilled over into this column. Otherwise the column is blank.

Notes: *Go.: If this record is from the parish of Gniezno, the abbreviation stands for the name of the city.

** The dates are given according to the liturgical calendar in use at the time. Should you wish to convert the dates to the civil calendar simply Google the date of Easter in 1871 and count the Sundays after Easter that year.

Manuszewski, Ambrozy Birth Record (1794).jpg
 Description:
Dave -

Thank you for the translation, and the exhortation and tools to help me "fish for myself" - it is appreciated.

Somehow an earlier request for assistance was lost in the transmission (likely my fault). The attached baptismal record for
 Filesize:  1.69 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Manuszewski, Ambrozy Birth Record (1794).jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:51 am      Post subject:

[quote="shecallsmemister"]
dnowicki wrote:
shecallsmemister wrote:
Dave -

Ken

Ken,

The translation follows.

Dave

Ken,

Here follows the baptismal record. The maiden name of the mother is not entered as Paradowska. The priest did not seem to be very careful when entering the data for this record and for the following record. In the following entry the maiden name of the mother is omitted with only a blank space where her maiden name would have appeared. Errare humanum est.

Dave

Left Margin: village of Rzeżęcin; male; (born) of a soldier
Next Col.: The 8th hour in the early morning (time of the baptism)
Body of Entry: I, Jacenty Greil (letters of the religious order to which he belonged), in 1794 on the 3rd day of April baptized in the parish church of Nowa Cerkiew the infant Ambrozy, born on the same day of the legitimate marriage of the father Szymon Manuszeski and of the mother Anna (maiden name of mother is not legible to me, but it does not appear to be Paradowska). The sponsors lifting him up from the Sacred Font* were Michał Paradowski and Maryanna Cicieroka from the same village.

Note: *sponsors lifting him up from the Sacred Font: Commonly known as the godparents.
bigmakusa

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:07 pm      Post subject: Translation Request - Latin Marriage record

Could you please translate the following 1820 marriage record for Wawrzyniec Wasliewski - Krystyna Swistun in Karpowicze

Below is the link to the original record:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9BC-X9JR-7?cat=2572900
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:24 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation Request - Latin Marriage record

bigmakusa wrote:
Could you please translate the following 1820 marriage record for Wawrzyniec Wasliewski - Krystyna Swistun in Karpowicze

Below is the link to the original record:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9BC-X9JR-7?cat=2572900

Hi,

The link is to Image 242 of the film which is the marriage of (badly faded given name) Szumkowski & Ewa Michalska. Please provide the image number of the Wawrzyniec Wasliewski - Krystyna Swistun marriage.

Thanks.

Dave
TifaStrife

Replies: 18

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:32 pm      Post subject: Help with a translation

Hello, I have the first and second marriage record for Stanislaus Krycinski. Both marriages were in Drohobycz in Wojtowska Gora. I think I was able to translate both, but I had a few questions and wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. I have been trying to figure out what Stanislaus' occupation was or clues as to who he was. The family story says he was in the military, but I haven't found any evidence of that yet. I included the three birth records of his children as well, you don't have to translate them, but if you could take a second look for me and see if you see any occupation listed I would greatly appreciate it - I haven't gotten very good at the latin occupation names yet. Smile

Just in case it is easier to address my questions in advance here they are:
For the first entry -
What would sntor mean after Stanislaus Krycinski's name?

For the second entry-
After Carolinam Pankiewicz it says visier what does that mean?

For the first, which is marriage to Carolina Pankiewicz, I believe it says:
Date Feb 13 (1876, on top of the page)
Stanislaus Krycinski sntor son of Joannis Krycinski, farmer and Mariae Weglinska of Bieliny in Drohobycz.
Roman Catholic
Natural born May 10, 1850
Carolina Pankiewicz daughter of Michaelis Pankiewicz, witness, and Magdalene Dabrowska of ?tansque? Drohobycia. Roman Catholic. Natural Born Feb 24 1851.

Witnesses Tomaz Dabrowski and Karol ?

For the second, which is marriage to Marianna Stryjozak, I believe it says:
November 7 1882
Stanislaus Krycinski widow of Carolinam Pankiewicz, visier ???
son of Joannis Krycinski and Mariae Weglinska of Bieliny Drohobycz. Date of birth May 10 1850.

Marianna Stryjozak daughter of Antonius Stryjozak and Catharine of G? Drohobycz

Thank you for any help you can provide and thank you for the years of guidance in translating latin records over the years. It is through reading your translations for others and through the few translations you have helped me with over the years that I have learned so much - I definitely am not close to your level of expertise, but I am sure to learn every time you help so that I never have to ask the same question twice. Smile Thank you for all that you do!

Marriage 2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  606.52 KB

Marriage 2.png

Marriage 1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  636.85 KB

Marriage 1.png

Birth Record 1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  342.39 KB

Birth Record 1.png

Birth Record 2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  343.22 KB

Birth Record 2.png

Birth Record 3.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  310.15 KB

Birth Record 3.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:52 pm      Post subject: Re: Help with a translation

TifaStrife wrote:
Hello, I have the first and second marriage record for Stanislaus Krycinski. Both marriages were in Drohobycz in Wojtowska Gora. I think I was able to translate both, but I had a few questions and wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. I have been trying to figure out what Stanislaus' occupation was or clues as to who he was. The family story says he was in the military, but I haven't found any evidence of that yet. I included the three birth records of his children as well, you don't have to translate them, but if you could take a second look for me and see if you see any occupation listed I would greatly appreciate it - I haven't gotten very good at the latin occupation names yet. Smile

Just in case it is easier to address my questions in advance here they are:
For the first entry -
What would sntor mean after Stanislaus Krycinski's name?

For the second entry-
After Carolinam Pankiewicz it says visier what does that mean?

Stanislaus Krycinski sntor son of Joannis Krycinski, farmer and Mariae Weglinska of Bieliny in Drohobycz.
Roman Catholic
Natural born May 10, 1850
Carolina Pankiewicz daughter of Michaelis Pankiewicz, witness, and Magdalene Dabrowska of ?tansque? Drohobycia. Roman Catholic. Natural Born Feb 24 1851.

Witnesses Tomaz Dabrowski and Karol ?

November 7 1882
Stanislaus Krycinski widow of Carolinam Pankiewicz, visier ???
son of Joannis Krycinski and Mariae Weglinska of Bieliny Drohobycz. Date of birth May 10 1850.

Marianna Stryjozak daughter of Antonius Stryjozak and Catharine of G? Drohobycz

Thank you for any help you can provide and thank you for the years of guidance in translating latin records over the years. It is through reading your translations for others and through the few translations you have helped me with over the years that I have learned so much - I definitely am not close to your level of expertise, but I am sure to learn every time you help so that I never have to ask the same question twice. Smile Thank you for all that you do!

Hi,

You did quite well with an entry which would have been difficult for someone who has 4 years of high school Latin or even undergrad Latin courses.

Some difficult/unusual words & constructions which need to be explained:

1. The vowels “ae” written as “æ” form a diphthong which is when two adjacent vowels are pronounced as one syllable as opposed to each vowel being a separate syllable. Sincere you are not trying to speak the words of the Latin text pronunciation is not the important element. Recognizing that the vowels “ae” and the diphthong written as “æ” are the same set of vowels.

2. The ending “ae” on a place name is actually the ending of the vestiges of the Latin Locative Case, an old case which later was subsumed into the Latin Ablative Case.

3. The word “visier”, which does not appear in Classical, Medieval, Renaissance, or Ecclesiastical Latin dictionaries. It is the “Latinization” of an Arabic word (vizier) used in the Ottoman Empire. One of the more well known viziers was the Grand Vizier Kara Mustafa Pasha, commander of the Ottoman army besieging Vienna which was defeated by the troops led by Jan III Sobieski, the king of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (or more accurately, King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania from 1674 until 1696.

4. The need to understand the meaning of abbreviations found in the entries.

5. The need to use the marriage records in tandem with the birth & baptism records in order understand and document portions of the text.

Corrections, additions, and clarifications are entered in upper case letters in your reading of the marriage records.

Congrats on a job well done with difficult entries.

Corrections, additions, etc. follow. Notes for both marriage records follow record #2.

Dave

Stanislaus (Stanisław) Krycinski SUTOR (=SHOEMAKER/COBBLER), son of P.D.* (= the late)Joannis (Jan) Krycinski, farmer and Mariae Weglinska NATUS IN (= born in) Bieliny HABITANS (= residing) in Drohobycz.
Roman Catholic
Born May 10, 1850
Carolina (Karolina) Pankiewicz daughter of Michaelis (Michał) Pankiewicz, TEXTOR (= weaver/cloth maker), and Magdalenæ** (Magdalena) Dabrowska NATA HABITansque (= born and residing in) Drohobycia. Roman Catholic. Born Feb 24 1851.

Witnesses Tomaz Dabrowski and Karol Wrublewski

THE NOTATION AT THE BOTTOM STATES THAT THE GROOM WAS BAPTIZED IN BIELINY AND A BAPTISMAL CERTIFICATE WAS ISSUED ON 28 JANUARY 1876 AS PART OF PRENUPTIAL PAPERWORK

November 7 1882
Stanislaus (Stanisław) Krycinski (VIDUUS P.D.*) = widowER AFTER THE LATE Carolinam (Karolina) Pankiewicz, visier*** = civil officer (PAE**NES-[SHOULD BE PENES] VIAM FERREAM. The text reads in English “a civil officer/ supervisor of the railroad. Here is where the occupational description in the B&B records helps to clarify and verify the meaning of “visier”, son of Joannis (Jan) Krycinski and Mariae (Marya) Węglinska of Bieliny Drohobycz. Date of birth May 10 1850.

Marianna Stryjozak daughter of Antonii (Antoni) Stryjozak and Catherine (Katarzyna) NÉE GRABANDA or GRABANIA,**** NATA DROHOBYCIAE***** IBIQUE HABITANS = BORN AND RESIDING IN Drohobycz

Notes: * P.D. (Post Defunctum = after the deceased/after the late

**“æ”: the way diphthongs are sometimes written in the text of records. The “ae” in paenes is a scribal error. It has a very similar sound to the correct spelling “penes”

***He worker for the C.R. railway (abbreviation for Caesarius Regius = The Imperial Royal railroad [of Austria]. The attached map shows (in solid lines) the lines of the state railroad in late 19th Century Galicia. Notice that one rail line passes through Drohobycz.

****The spelling of Catherine/Katarzyna’s maiden name varies within the 5 records.

*****Drohobyciae: The Locative Case = “in Drohobycz”.

Galicia 1897.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  952.1 KB

Galicia 1897.jpg

TifaStrife

Replies: 18

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:06 pm      Post subject: Thank you!

Thank you so very much! I am so happy that my study has paid off and that I did well in translating Smile Also, such a win that his occupation was revealed to us. Thank you kindly for your time and help as it is always immensely appreciated. Now it is time to find the Metrical book for Bieliny - I am assuming they are referring to Bieliny close to Ulanow and Bieliniec. A new location of research for me. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 251, 252, 253 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 252 of 274

Jump to: