PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:15 pm      Post subject: Goral Area Map

The 11 colored area's represent the different ethnic groups of the Góral via folk music.

Babiogócy
Górale Czadeccy
Górale Pienińcy
Górale Sądeccy
Górale Śląscy
Zywieccy
Kliszczacy
Orawiacy
Podhalanie
Spiszacy
Zagózanie

Goral Polska Map.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.74 KB
 Viewed:  15760 Time(s)

Goral Polska Map.jpg

Last edited by Bill Rushin on Mon May 16, 2011 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
zamagurie

Replies: 32

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:19 am      Post subject: Re: Goral Area Map

Bill Rushin wrote:
The 11 colored area's represent the different ethnic groups of the Góral.

Babiogócy
Górale Czadeccy
Górale Pienińcy
Górale Sądeccy
Górale Śląscy
Zywieccy
Kliszczacy
Orawiacy
Podhalanie
Spiszacy
Zagózanie
Quote:

Can you cite the source for this map? Thanks

Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
dancinchantilly

Replies: 23

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:06 pm      Post subject:

Explain please - eleven ethnic groups of goral.

Define: Ethinic Group, your parameters.
Define: Goral
Define: Lemko
Define: Hutsul
Define: Boyko

Are these all Slavic? What about DNA, y and mitochondrial?

Is there mutual intelligibility between your 11 groups? What about Ukrainian, Slovak, Rusyn, Polish speakers, that is, the neighboring groups?

Thanks for any clarification.
Carolyn
Bill Rushin
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:28 am      Post subject:

You are confusing this map with something altogether different. This is a new forum, since it started several
persons asked if they were considered a Goral by using the location of their home town or village. I don't have time to look up each members town.(I tried that) I only used this map to give them an idea of where the Polish Goral are located by this nice color coded chart-via their music. The map reads: "obszary góralszczyzna etnograficznych" which is the "ethnographic areas of folk music".
Send e-mail
wojtek m

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:23 am      Post subject:

Colors represent different groups of ethnically polish górale, like podhalanie, spiszacy, orawianie or babiogórcy. Those groups have a lot in common, but there are also some differencies between them.groups like Łemko, Bojko, Huculi or Rusini are of ruthenian origin & their language would be Rusin.walach or Voloch ate people of romanian and karpathian origin, as nomads traveling along karpathian hills and valleys north and later west mixing with local communities.there are lots of names,especially of rivers and peaks, that derive from wallachian/romanian language.they also brougt a lot of customs and traditions including type of economy based on sheep and forest cutting. All polish górale have wallachian substrat in their blood, since 16th century they are inflenced by those nomads(its a mix of malopolska/lesser poland and romanian ethnicity with some silesian substrate in case of silesian gorale) I could give some more explanation if anybody is interested. Btw karpathian rusyns also do have wallachian substrate,even grater than górale.
Greetings from Poland, wojciech
wojtek m

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:26 am      Post subject:

Btw góralszczyzna refers to not only folk music, this is state of mind and body, dialect, lots of traditions and customs.the map is created by polish podhalan union.
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:25 am      Post subject:

wojtek m wrote:
Colors represent different groups of ethnically polish górale, like podhalanie, spiszacy, orawianie or babiogórcy. Those groups have a lot in common, but there are also some differencies between them.groups like Łemko, Bojko, Huculi or Rusini are of ruthenian origin & their language would be Rusin.walach or Voloch ate people of romanian and karpathian origin, as nomads traveling along karpathian hills and valleys north and later west mixing with local communities.there are lots of names,especially of rivers and peaks, that derive from wallachian/romanian language.they also brougt a lot of customs and traditions including type of economy based on sheep and forest cutting. All polish górale have wallachian substrat in their blood, since 16th century they are inflenced by those nomads(its a mix of malopolska/lesser poland and romanian ethnicity with some silesian substrate in case of silesian gorale) I could give some more explanation if anybody is interested. Btw karpathian rusyns also do have wallachian substrate,even grater than górale.
Greetings from Poland, wojciech

Wojciech,
Thank you for this information. Yes, I am very interested in hearing more about this topic, especially Podhalanie. I believe that my family from Odrowaz and Zaluczne are considered Podhaline, yes? I am also curious about the Highlander dialect and what other languages influence this dialect. It is distinct enough that Polish natives from other regions of Poland have difficulty interpreting.
Greetings from USA!
wojtek m

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:17 pm      Post subject:

Thanks Shellie.

Highlanders dialect is a mix of polish dialects and walach words with some substrate of slovakian, but that is only later interference. Those dialects are all similar, except for silesian gorale, who use some vocabulary of silesian dialect instead of lesser polish.they all understand each other.people from krakow do understand quite easilly too, but the ones from north/west Poland have a lot of problems getting even the topic Smile

You have definitely skalni(rocky) podhalanie ingridient but Odrowaz and Zaluczne are both very close to Orawiacy too, so they are influenced by them also. Shellie,should be proud of it, they are just perfect-connected to nature, hot blooded and warm, when guest arrives, very tough people, as their life was tough enough normally.this area is also one ofthe few that are not hit hardly by contemporary modern society rules and customs, although it changes dramatically..

Typical karpathian/walach influenced words/names would be: bryndza-cheese, mountain names like kiczora( hairy,full of trees in walach) magura(tomb) or przyslop, those words are spread all along carpathian mountains and there are many,many more of them. I will try to find one site collecting voices of real people speaking and telling stories in local dialects in lesser poland.cheers to podhalanie in Usa Smile
wojtek m

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:22 pm      Post subject:

This is the site:
http://www.gwarypolskie.uw.edu.pl/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=8&Itemid=18

On the left there are dialects by areas, then click play to listen or choose text, if there are morse than one. You may find Polish dialects also from other regions.
mie121

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:31 am      Post subject:

Bill Rushin wrote:
You are confusing this map with something altogether different. This is a new forum, since it started several
persons asked if they were considered a Goral by using the location of their home town or village. I don't have time to look up each members town.(I tried that) I only used this map to give them an idea of where the Polish Goral are located by this nice color coded chart-via their music. The Best Wooden lake maps reads: "obszary góralszczyzna etnograficznych" which is the "ethnographic areas of folk music".

hi
I am confused in the bar notation of this map.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish Gorals - Highlanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: