PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:07 pm      Post subject: Inventory of obligations 1778 Stratyn Galicia

Hello!

I am hoping that someone can help me decipher the records attached. The peasant list includes some of my relatives and I think that the columns represent obligations to the landowner/estate? What are the headings? Chickens, oats? As well any help on the page of accounting would be wonderful,

Thanks,
Gail

Dubryniow 1785 tributes.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.6 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Dubryniow 1785 tributes.jpg

Dubryniow 1778.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.47 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Dubryniow 1778.jpg

galicia seeker

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:30 pm      Post subject: Inventory of obligations 1778 Stratyn Galicia

I was hoping that someone could start me on the road to understanding the peasant obligations in these headings.
OlaEm

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:24 am      Post subject:

Hello Gail,
As far as I can read, on the first page there is (from left to right):
- Dziesięcina - it was a tax for the church. Its name comes from the word "dziesięć", which means number 10. So every farmer had to give to the church 10% of his crops.
- Oczkowe - this tax was paid by those who maintained bees. It was paid from every beehive they owned. Here we can assume that in this village there were a lot of beehives and probably peasants earned money from selling honey and other things produced by bees.
- The last one is simply money (Pieniądze), divided below for złoty and grosze (It's like dollars and cents). There is no information about what it was paid for, whether it was some kind of tax or maybe instead of working for the landlord, peasants preferred to pay him and use all the time needed to work on their own farm.
I hope it was helpful.
galicia seeker

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:14 pm      Post subject: Inventory of obligations 1778 Stratyn Galicia

Ola, thank you so much!

I tried to do some research on the internet - figured someone somewhere would have come across this type of tax document, but alas, no luck. I am pretty handy with Google Translation but could not for the life of me decipher the headings!

Thank you again!

Gail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: