PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 2:23 am      Post subject: Tuseli/ Suseli Russia? Help understanding document

Hello,

After many years I finally found a document writing my Polish relatives birthplace other than "Poland". However, I'm struggling to decipher where this actually is. Searching the transribed town as Tuseli, or Suseli doesn't seem to get any hints, and I haven't had much luck altering spelling without more knowledge.

He was born in 1893, and his immigration record in the US states he is Polish, born in Russia. With this I'm assuming the town would be around eastern Poland today?

Any help would be much appreciated.

stan.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.52 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

stan.jpg

TedMack

Replies: 480

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 6:01 am      Post subject: Re: Tuseli/ Suseli Russia? Help understanding document

yansandp wrote:
Hello,

After many years I finally found a document writing my Polish relatives birthplace other than "Poland". However, I'm struggling to decipher where this actually is. Searching the transribed town as Tuseli, or Suseli doesn't seem to get any hints, and I haven't had much luck altering spelling without more knowledge.

He was born in 1893, and his immigration record in the US states he is Polish, born in Russia. With this I'm assuming the town would be around eastern Poland today?

Any help would be much appreciated.

G'day

As a guess, based on the location of his father on this document could it be "Truszki is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Piątnica, within Łomża County, Podlaskie Voivodeship, in north-eastern Poland." See map below.

It's only a guess based on what is written in the document.

Cheers

Truszki.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.67 KB

Truszki.jpg

mm_88

Replies: 63

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 11:13 am      Post subject:

Hello,

Just a guess, but "Suseli" could be also Zuzela, about 60 km from Łomża https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuzela

I think that father's name is Jan Kędzierski (Kendzersky). Here you can find some records for this surname in Zuzela https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=eng&bdm=B&w=07mz&rid=3613&search_lastname=k%C4%99dzierski&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=

yansandp

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2023 4:33 pm      Post subject:

Thanks for the suggestions! Very helpful, thanks. I was curious about the Fathers "address" on the document which did look like it could be referencing Łomża.

It appears Zuzela could be a match. His name was Stanley and according to another record I have his Parents were John (Jan) and Frances (Franciszka) Simanski (Szymańska). This matches a record there except is says Stanisława Kędzierska 1890, which is female and 3 years younger than my records say? I can't read the scanned document well enough to compare or find a birthdate though.

stanbirth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.2 MB

stanbirth.jpg

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 691

Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 4:10 am      Post subject:

yansandp wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions! Very helpful, thanks. I was curious about the Fathers "address" on the document which did look like it could be referencing Łomża.

It appears Zuzela could be a match. His name was Stanley and according to another record I have his Parents were John (Jan) and Frances (Franciszka) Simanski (Szymańska). This matches a record there except is says Stanisława Kędzierska 1890, which is female and 3 years younger than my records say? I can't read the scanned document well enough to compare or find a birthdate though.

Hello,
Stanisława could be the older sister of your relative Stanley (Polish Stanisław). She was born in Zuzela on May 15, 1890 at 11 o'clock in the evening.
Parents:
-father - Jan Kendzierski* 27 years old (estimated year of birth 1863)
-mother - Franciszka Szymańska 23 years old (estimated year of birth 1867)

One more person named Kendzierski is mentioned in this document:
- godmother: Franciszka Kendzierska

The most likely that Stanisław (Stanley) was not born in Zuzela, but that family moved there later, and only his sister Stanisława was born there. The parish of Zuzela is indexed (1657-1922), and it appears that no more children of the Kendzierski- Szymańska couple were born there.

*Surname Kendzierski can also be written Kędzierski.

I hope this helps,
-Barb
yansandp

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:40 am      Post subject:

Thanks Barb for the help!

In this particular instance Stanley in US records was born 1892-1894 so would have been born after this woman. The US arrival record seems to state his father still lives where he was born.

Is there information of how complete/ accurate these indexes are? I'm used to US records being a bit inaccurate because of translation errors and time from events. I did try to go through that linked database more through different regions and didn't see anything else witch these parents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: