PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 7:35 am      Post subject: Dubryniow - obligations 1755

Hello!

I am looking for help in translating the top part of this 1755 document - trying to figure out what the money was for! Thanks

Dubryniow - 1755.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.53 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Dubryniow - 1755.jpg

galicia seeker

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2023 4:33 pm      Post subject: Dubryniow - obligations 1755

Hello all!

I realize that this query deviates from the normal vital record requests, but still hoping that someone out there can help me decipher what the charges were for. I am attaching another similar record - same era - seems to say "old arrears" - to perhaps a Jewish tradesperson - maybe tavern costs, milling?

Any help would be much appreciated! If not on this site, any suggestions as to someone who might assist me with translating old Polish?

Fedun Fedko Dubryniow 1755 OLD ARREARS .jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.82 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Fedun Fedko Dubryniow 1755 OLD ARREARS .jpg

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 692

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 4:28 am      Post subject: Re: Dubryniow - obligations 1755

galicia seeker wrote:
Hello all!

I realize that this query deviates from the normal vital record requests, but still hoping that someone out there can help me decipher what the charges were for. I am attaching another similar record - same era - seems to say "old arrears" - to perhaps a Jewish tradesperson - maybe tavern costs, milling?

Any help would be much appreciated! If not on this site, any suggestions as to someone who might assist me with translating old Polish?

Hi,
As I have said before, it is very difficult to interpret from old Polish into Polish, and into English. There are some words that have not existed for a long time, and words that are typically Polish and have no substitutes in English. I will try as best I can to interpret the text and explain the meaning of certain words / terms. Writing back this evening.

-Barb
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 692

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 11:21 am      Post subject: Re: Dubryniow - obligations 1755

Hello all!

Any help would be much appreciated! If not on this site, any suggestions as to someone who might assist me with translating old Polish?[/quote]

Hi Gail,
Based on the text, I will understand the following:

Debt to Orthodox Jew Icek Abramowicz, once an administrator in Dobryniów Estate, for a little more than one year.
Debts have been acknowledged by the debtors (members of the community) and recorded in the register of debtors in Dubryniów, for the year 1755. Record to be reviewed and approved.

entry in table
on the left - debts recognized by debtors (members of the community)
on the right - same debts registered in the debtor register
Name and surname, debts in zloty, groszy and szeląg

Mostly the same amount is written in both registers. Sometimes the debtor believed he owed less than what was registered.

Starozakonny - Orthodox Jew
Bywszy – once been
Icek Abramowicz was a Jewish administrator / steward / tenant
Gromada – the community
Zloty – has the greatest value, so grosz, szelag is 1/3 of grosz
Arendarz en= ę (arędarz)- lessee

Hope that helped a little, but remember that it is my version of the text.
-Barb
galicia seeker

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 3:10 pm      Post subject: Dubryniow - obligations 1755

Brilliant, Barb Oslo - I can't thank you enough!

I have been meandering through random records on Szukajwarchiwach trying to envision, establish and write about what the neighborhood/community looked like. Establishing a family tree is one thing - but I wanted to see if I could piece together what it might have been like actually living in the 18th century in Stratin/Dubryniow.

Major players included the principal landowner (in this case the Bielski family at the time - owning 3 villages that included Stratyn/Stratin, Dubryniow and Pukiv), the Greek Catholic Church/priests that were appointed and supported financially and politically by the landowner, then the "locals" that included Ukrainians/Rutherians and Jews (who were integral to the local communities in terms of providing clerical and management support to landowners and were merchants in town as well as leasing the rights to taverns and mills from the villages). It seems that Isek Abramowicz may have entered a contract for the administration/management of Dubryniow, not unusual in those times given the massive land mass owned by the Polish lords.

It seems that old debts were never forgotten although we may never know exactly what they were for - suspect some tax or other!

Again, so many thanks for your response, Barb,

Kind regards from Canada,
Gail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: