PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 3:05 pm      Post subject: Looking for Szczepaniak relatives

Hello there,

I am a descendant of Wladislaw Szczepaniak (Czepanik or Scepanik), probably born in ±1900, who was married to Carolina Braska Szczepaniak. This is all I could get from my family and find in documents in Brazil.

I am not sure, but it seems to me that it came to Brazil on the Kaiser Wilhelm II, since I found a record (attached).

It has been quite confusing, because I have found the surname spelled in different ways and sometimes I don't understand if it is the same person or not. For example: Szozepaniak, Szczepanik, Scepaniak, Szepaniak, Szezepanik

For example, I found documents of the entry of the family Szozepaniak in Brazil in 1890, coming from the port of Bremen:
Agnes, Helene, Ian, Josepha, Stanislaus, Stanislawa, Thomas and Wladislaw

And also the Szepaniaks in 1906:
Josef, Marianna, Leokadia, Waclaw, Kazimir, Wladislaw, Bronislawa

Also a document from 1904 for Wladislaw Szezepanik only.

So, I appreciate any reference to documents of this family that can help me track down the origin of my ancestors.

Wladyslaw Szczepaniak - Nascido em 1900 - Pagina do livro de registro.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.01 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Wladyslaw Szczepaniak - Nascido em 1900 - Pagina do livro de registro.png

Send e-mail
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 709

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 4:40 am      Post subject: Re: Looking for Szczepaniak relatives

julianofagundes wrote:
Hello there,

I am a descendant of Wladislaw Szczepaniak (Czepanik or Scepanik), probably born in ±1900, who was married to Carolina Braska Szczepaniak. This is all I could get from my family and find in documents in Brazil.

I am not sure, but it seems to me that it came to Brazil on the Kaiser Wilhelm II, since I found a record (attached).

It has been quite confusing, because I have found the surname spelled in different ways and sometimes I don't understand if it is the same person or not. For example: Szozepaniak, Szczepanik, Scepaniak, Szepaniak, Szezepanik

For example, I found documents of the entry of the family Szozepaniak in Brazil in 1890, coming from the port of Bremen:

So, I appreciate any reference to documents of this family that can help me track down the origin of my ancestors.

Hi,
Szczepaniak / Szczepanik is quite a popular surname. According to Genetyka, there are almost 70,000 indexes. It's like "finding a needle in a haystack". Do you know where in Poland they lived before emigrating to Brazil?
Do you have any other documents that could help with the search?

Best regards,
-Barb
mm_88

Replies: 63

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 5:33 am      Post subject: Re: Looking for Szczepaniak relatives

BarbOslo wrote:
julianofagundes wrote:
Hello there,

Hi,
Szczepaniak / Szczepanik is quite a popular surname. According to Genetyka, there are almost 70,000 indexes. It's like "finding a needle in a haystack". Do you know where in Poland they lived before emigrating to Brazil?
Do you have any other documents that could help with the search?

Best regards,
-Barb

Hello,
I don't know if you have already seen this but here you can find Wladyslaw's family tree https://www.geni.com/people/W%C5%82adys%C5%82aw-Szczepaniak/6000000083330275725

His parents are Jan and Helena. Karolina's parents are Jan and Marianna.

julianofagundes

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 3:42 pm      Post subject: Re: Looking for Szczepaniak relatives

mm_88 wrote:

Hello,
I don't know if you have already seen this but here you can find Wladyslaw's family tree https://www.geni.com/people/W%C5%82adys%C5%82aw-Szczepaniak/6000000083330275725

Hello,

That's my current data actually.
I've updated MyHeritage and some of these family tree websites in search of any match that could help me.
But even small info like your translation of the Brazilian name "João" to the original "Jan" is a great help at this point.

I feel like I'm missing some pieces of this puzzle here, especially from Carolina's side and her origins.
I was told she was Polish as well, but I couldn't find any Braska family there, only in USA and Italy.
So I've thought that Wladyslaw maybe went to New York first, spent some time there, then met Carolina before departing together to Brazil.
At this point, who knows even if Carolina's name was her original name in USA or Poland. Laughing

Last edited by julianofagundes on Fri May 19, 2023 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
mm_88

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 3:36 am      Post subject: Re: Looking for Szczepaniak relatives

julianofagundes wrote:
mm_88 wrote:

Hello,

Hi Barb,

That's my current data actually.
I've updated MyHeritage and some of these family tree websites in search of any match that could help me.
But even small info like your translation of the Brazilian name "João" to the original "Jan" is a great help at this point.

I feel like I'm missing some pieces of this puzzle here, especially from Carolina's side and her origins.
I was told she was Polish as well, but I couldn't find any Braska family there, only in USA and Italy.
So I've thought that Wladyslaw maybe went to New York first, spent some time there, then met Carolina before departing together to Brazil.
At this point, who knows even if Carolina's name was her original name in USA or Poland. Laughing

I don't have full access to MyHeritage but I can see that one of Carolina's sons was Casemiro. Was he married to Ruth Scepaniuk? Where did Scepaniuk family live in Brazil?

I might have found Carolina's death certificate and her full family tree but I need some details to confirm it (her surname in Poland could be Braszka, not Braska).

julianofagundes

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:37 am      Post subject:

Hi,

They are my family. Casemiro was my grandfather's brother and we lived together for many years. He was born in Erechim, Brazil. He lived in Rio de Janeiro and Porto Alegre, where he passed away in 2016. Ruth passed away in March 2023.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by julianofagundes on Fri May 19, 2023 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
mm_88

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 5:07 am      Post subject:

Here you can find an article about Casemiro and some info about his parents living in Rio Grande de Sul https://issuu.com/espm-sul/docs/blogdepapel/5 It seems that you should try to find some records for this area.

I think this is Carolina's death record under the name Braszka (after separation/divorce with Władysław?) https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6XWF-HVZ2

That COULD be Carolina's family https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/G4H4-7ZX You can see Maria Carolina born in 1902.
This family came from Buczacz, Ukraine https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=eng&bdm=B&w=21uk&rid=B&search_lastname=braszka&search_name=&search_lastname2=szewczuk&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=

There is also Jan Braszka's death record from Curitiba https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9396-7B2D-L?view=index&personArk=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3A6XHM-6KSF&action=view&groupId=M94C-5LR

I'm not 100% sure these are your ancestors and I don't know what is written in these records but I hope it will be helpful for your further research.

Good luck,
Monika

julianofagundes

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:34 am      Post subject:

Yes, you just found them all.
They were originally from Curitiba / PR and then migrated to Erechim / RS. That's the place Wladyslaw and Carolina met each other.
I got their marriage certificate so I can confirm that those dates match.
I was so close. Thank you for your hints. Very Happy
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: