PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 257, 258, 259 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2023 5:18 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Hopefully I'm learning a lot from these translations. I think my biggest issue is not being able to make out some of the writing or being able to detect what word to expect when I can't make it out.

This is my latest attempt - can you please run your eyes over it and advise any corrections. There were a few words I just can't make out.

Begins the year of the Lord
January

Left Margin: Tłokinia #1
Body of entry: In the year ??? (could this be previous year) on the 31st December died a child named Marianna, daughter of the industrious (peasants) Antonio and Elżbieta Gralow. The young girl’s ? body was buried on the 1st January in the church cemetery of Tłokinia to the east.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

This translation was better that the one of the previous record. The words following “in the year” are an example of a time when it is not really necessary to be able to read the exact words. Their meaning is clear from the context. There is no other choice but for them to refer to the previous year, 1793. The girl died on December 31 1793 and was buried the following day which was January 1 1794.The lack of clarity in the handwriting is most likely due to the technology of the times. The record was written using the dip pen method whereby ink was placed on the pen (quill or stylus). The pen most likely was a quill and quills were not easy to write with. They required regular maintenance or sharpening and only lasted for about 2 weeks before they needed to be replaced. They were prone to dripping ink on the document and forming letters which were far from crisp and clear when sharpening was needed due to the point becoming dull. The more regular use of metal tipped (nibbed) dip pens certainly decreased the need for high tip maintenance and thus made for sharper letter formation. The ink used for handwritten documents was a sulfate based compound which had not changed much since it was used by the ancient Romans. Sulfate based ink has a drawback in that it takes time for the ink to dry in order that it be kept from smearing. Even though the concept of fountain pens began to be developed in the early 19th century the first truly functional fountain pen was not patented until 1884. Fountain pens provided a more even flow of ink which made it possible to write a longer text with one fill of ink but they suffered from the same ink problem in that it took a while for the ink to dry in order that it not smear. The 20th century technological answer to keeping ink from smearing was to use a blotter. In earlier times either the writer had to wait until the ink dried or to speed the process the writer would sprinkle dry sand on the page which would help the ink to dry more quickly. In my opinion the above technological problems are what caused the two words to be very difficult and the second word nigh unto impossible to read. However, in my opinion is really not necessary to see the words clearly because their meaning is obvious. It would be a different story if this were a chemical formula. In that case guessing at the exact words could literally make the formula blow up in your face but not so here. I am able to read the first of the two words, immediante, an adverb meaning “immediately”. I find the next word impossible to read but it must be a word meaning prior or previous or something in that vein and it really doesn’t matter. One can translate the line “in the year immediately prior on the 31st day of December…” because that is the clear sense of the words. The Polish version of the father’s name is Antoni or Anton. The words “unius anni puella” should be translated “a girl of one year”. Puella/girl stands in apposition to Marianna. The Cardinal number one (unus) is one of nine irregular Latin adjectives. Unius is the Genitive Singular of unus and it modifies anni. The next problematic word is cujus (as it was spelled during the 19th Century and which is spelled cuius in Classical Latin and in contemporary Latin grammars and literary works). Cujus/cuius is the Genitive Singular of the relative pronoun qui, quae, quod and means “whose”. That portion of the text should be translated “...a girl of one year whose body on the first day of the month of January…” (The added words in the text—Die 1ma Men(with the truncation/abbreviation sign) = Die prima Mensis (On the first day of the month) is far from a critical element for translation. I mention it only as a learning tool to increase your knowledge of what is found in the text. To translate the text as you did is perfectly acceptable.

Good job with everything else.

Dave
TedMack

Replies: 479

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2023 8:34 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

Thanks for the explanations they help a lot.

The next one I have attempted to translate has a few new words (at least to me, unless I am reading them incorrectly). Can you please review. The record starts bottom of the first page and finishes on the second.

Tłokinia, 1799
Number 21 February
Left Margin: Wygoda , Female, Vomiting (cause of death), #6 (not sure of the numbering although it is the 6th entry for the year)
Body of entry: On the 9th day of the month of February in the year as above was buried in the church cemetery at Tłokinia Agnieszka ? a girl of 3 years daughter of the industrious (peasants) Jozef and Elżbieta Wochlikow ?? (is that childrens crypt? or something about a shop) from Wygoda, rests ? after vomiting on the 7th of this month, she died at 7 in the evening.

Cheers

Death Agnieszka Wochlik 1799 - record 6(2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  680.91 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Death Agnieszka Wochlik 1799 - record 6(2).jpg

Dryber

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2023 10:35 pm      Post subject: Birth Record Translation

Hey Dave,

I've discovered another birth document I need some help translating. It's been really interesting to learn and better understand the format of these records. I really appreciate all the help translating these documents.

Thank you,

Ignatius Tofil Birth Document 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  159.44 KB

Ignatius Tofil Birth Document 2.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:44 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Thanks for the explanations they help a lot.

The next one I have attempted to translate has a few new words (at least to me, unless I am reading them incorrectly). Can you please review. The record starts bottom of the first page and finishes on the second.

Tłokinia, 1799
Number 21 February
Left Margin: Wygoda , Female, Vomiting (cause of death), #6 (not sure of the numbering although it is the 6th entry for the year)
Body of entry: On the 9th day of the month of February in the year as above was buried in the church cemetery at Tłokinia Agnieszka ? a girl of 3 years daughter of the industrious (peasants) Jozef and Elżbieta Wochlikow ?? (is that childrens crypt? or something about a shop) from Wygoda, rests ? after vomiting on the 7th of this month, she died at 7 in the evening.

Cheers

Hi Ted,

I believe that you are correct in your interpretation of the number in the left hand margin being the number of death for the year. It appears that the original numbers were out of order and so the original was crossed out and another number entered. There is an added word in the part that describes where the burial took place and that word is parochialis which means parish so that part of the entry should read in full “in the cemetery of the Parish Church”.The word following the name of the girl Agnieszka is ætatis, which is written in such a way to show that the first two letters “a” and “e” are a diphthong or in other words are pronounced as one syllable rather than two. In standard print form the word would be aetatis, Which is the genitive singular of aetas, aetatis, f. age. That part of the entry is best translated as “a girl 3 years of age”. Initially the priest omitted the word Puella but then added it to the text as kind of after the fact correction to make this entry consistent with the other death & burial records of infants/children on the two pages. There are a variety of ways in which the entries could have been phrased in Latin and what usually happened was that a priest picked one format/textual structure and then used that phrasing as a template, as it were, for all similar entries—just human nature to use what works to make it easier to enter the facts in similar records. He included the Polish ending ów attached to the surname of the parents which is plural and shows that the surname refers to both parents. That form often is translated as “the spouses Wochlik”. The following word which gave you problems begins on one line and continues on the following line. High school and college writing handbooks in the USA prior to the advent of computers directed that words beginning in one line and continuing on the next line should be hyphenated. In Latin texts sometimes words were hyphenated and sometimes not. The word in question in the text lists the occupation of the parents and is cauponatorum which is the Genitive Plural of cauponator, cauponatoris, m. innkeeper, one of several Latin synonyms for that occupation. The parents were innkeepers in Wygoda. That section should be translated “the daughter of Józef and Elżbieta Wochlik, innkeepers in Wygoda, who died from vomiting on the 7th of of the present month at the 7th hour in the evening. The priest enters something which is a bit unusual at the end of each record the word numerus (number) followed by an Arabic number. He is not consistent in that sometimes he just enters the word numerous without any actual number but some of the numbers are rather high like 39 so it is quite possible that he is listing the house number or the building number in the village. The house or building number in your record is six. It would seem that it’s possible that either the inn was building number six or the parents lived in house number six in the village of Wygoda.

One of the things which distinguishes Latin from English is word order in a sentence. In English words get their meaning based on order but in Latin the use of a word in a sentence is made clear by case endings and not word order. A simple example...The boy saw the girl. The person seeing and the person being seen (the subject and the direct object) is determined by word order in English. If you change the order to the girl saw the boy the sentence has an entirely different meaning. Not so in Latin. Puer puellam vidit and puellam puer vidit and vidit puer puellam all have the same meaning regardless of word order. The point is that in order to properly translate a Latin sentence one needs to pay attention to word endings and then to put the English versions of Latin words into an order which is consistent with good English style. There is no single way to phrase a translation. All a translator need do is express the translation in a way which is faithful to the meaning of the original text and to do so in a way in which the translation is in decent English.

The priest listed the cause of death as vomiting but in actuality that is probably more a symptom than an actual cause of death since vomiting can occur for any number of reasons and by itself does not kill a person. Either the cause of the vomiting or dehydration from the vomiting does the person in.

The outdoor museum in Ethnographic Park in Kłóbka, Kujawsko-Pomorskie, which is a good distance from the village where the death took place, has an inn from the 1780s which was typical of such buildings in Kujawy. Attached are pictures of the exterior and interior of the building which may give you some idea of what the inn where the parents were innkeepers may have looked like.

Enjoy.

Dave

Interior Public House c. 1780.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  213.58 KB

Interior Public House c. 1780.jpg

Exteror Public House c. 1780.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.46 KB

Exteror Public House c. 1780.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:46 am      Post subject: Re: Birth Record Translation

Dryber wrote:
Hey Dave,

I've discovered another birth document I need some help translating. It's been really interesting to learn and better understand the format of these records. I really appreciate all the help translating these documents.

Thank you,

Hey,

Without seeing the column headings at the top of the page I cannot be certain of Columns 6a&b and 7a&b. Since surnames are in the vernacular rather than in Latin I’m not sure of the spelling of the mother’s maiden name and that of Antoni. Perhaps someone else can give you a better reading of those names.

The translation follows.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave

C.1: 25 (# for the year)
C.2: Date of Birth: July 6
C.3: Date of Baptism: July 7
C.4: House #19
C.5: Child: Ignacy
C.6a&b,7a&b,8: Male, Catholic, Legitimate
C.9: The Father: Jan Tofil, the son of Józef and of Rozalia, the daughter of Franciszek Marchut, farmers
C.10: The Mother: Anna Po???k, the daughter of Ignacy and of Maryanna, the daughter of Antoni Gw(?)ybowski, farmers
C.11: The Sponsors aka godparents: Michał Tofil; Barbara Brak, the wife of Franciszek

Notations:
C.1-4: Name of priest (illegible), the assistant pastor
C.6-8:Midwife: Małgorzata Wozminska, not examined*

Note: *Two types of midwives practiced at that time in the Austrian Partition—those who had been examined regarding their knowledge and skills and those who had not. It would be equal to certified and non-certified practitioners in contemporary terminology.
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 655

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 11:50 am      Post subject: Re: Birth Record Translation

dnowicki wrote:
Dryber wrote:
Hey Dave,

Thank you,

Hey,

Without seeing the column headings at the top of the page I cannot be certain of Columns 6a&b and 7a&b. Since surnames are in the vernacular rather than in Latin I’m not sure of the spelling of the mother’s maiden name and that of Antoni. Perhaps someone else can give you a better reading of those names.

The translation follows.

Dave

C.1: 25 (# for the year)
C.2: Date of Birth: July 6
C.3: Date of Baptism: July 7
C.4: House #19
C.5: Child: Ignacy
C.6a&b,7a&b,8: Male, Catholic, Legitimate
C.9: The Father: Jan Tofil, the son of Józef and of Rozalia, the daughter of Franciszek Marchut, farmers
C.10: The Mother: Anna Po???k, the daughter of Ignacy and of Maryanna, the daughter of Antoni Gw(?)ybowski, farmers
C.11: The Sponsors aka godparents: Michał Tofil; Barbara Brak, the wife of Franciszek

Notations:
C.1-4: Name of priest (illegible), the assistant pastor
C.6-8:Midwife: Małgorzata Wozminska, not examined*

Note: *Two types of midwives practiced at that time in the Austrian Partition—those who had been examined regarding their knowledge and skills and those who had not. It would be equal to certified and non-certified practitioners in contemporary terminology.

Hello,
I always read all the posts posted by David. Much to learn. This birth record is very special. So many important facts are listed. I looked at the two last names. Difficult without seeing the whole page. I think it is important that a whole page is always added to the translation. Easier to compare the letters that we are unsure about.

One surname is Grzybowski, I'm not sure about the other. Poszek?

C.10: The Mother: Anna Poszek, the daughter of Ignacy and of Maryanna, the daughter of Antoni Grzybowski, farmers

Beste regards,
-Barb
Dryber

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 1:18 pm      Post subject: Birth Record Translation Cont.

I have a screenshot of the full page containing the record for Ignatius, so I will include it below. Unfortunately, I think the quality of the image is low.

Regarding his mother's surname, I've seen several documents where Ignatius indicated it was spelled Popek, however, I am uncertain if this spelling was actually correct or not. Thank you Dave and Bard for your continued help!

Ignatius Tofil Birth Document.jpg
 Description:
Full page from the book with Ignatius's birth record.
 Filesize:  280.43 KB

Ignatius Tofil Birth Document.jpg

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 655

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 1:48 pm      Post subject:

Well, if you have other documents that confirm that the surname is Popek then....possibly that is correct.
First two letters are PO, and last two are EK.
The quality of the attached image is low.
- Barb
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:28 pm      Post subject: Re: Birth Record Translation Cont.

Dryber wrote:
I have a screenshot of the full page containing the record for Ignatius, so I will include it below. Unfortunately, I think the quality of the image is low.

Regarding his mother's surname, I've seen several documents where Ignatius indicated it was spelled Popek, however, I am uncertain if this spelling was actually correct or not. Thank you Dave and Bard for your continued help!

Hi D. Ryber-Ryba & Barb,

Columns 6a&b deal with religion and are titled Catholic and Or Other & Catholic is checked.
Columns 7a&b deal with gender and are titled Boy & Girl respectively. The wrong column was checked since Ignacy was a male rather than a female child.
Column 8 deals with legitimacy and Ignacy is recorded as legitimate.

The copy of the register is a civil copy required by the Austrian government. Since several copies of the parish register were required the parish pastor usually hired a scribe to make the copies. The copy making process usually took place soon after the end of year (in this case 1890). Making the copies was a tedious task and errors were not unusual. The scribe checked the wrong column for Ignacy’s gender. It is easy to tell that this is a civil copy from the stamped notations of death entered by the civil registry office in what looks like 1978 and is 1975 and1980 for three individuals on the two pages.

None of this is a big deal but it does help to make clear the type of document you have before you.

Dave
TedMack

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:37 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

I find your replies very illuminating and entertaining - hopefully I am learning something.

The last translation I have for now I think I have correct, except for the cause of death, I was tossing up between Chickenpox and Typhoid and decided with chickenpox. The record was spread over a couple of pages and on those pages there were numerous children who died of "Papulis". I take it that the child was about 9 months of age? Can you please check my translation below:

Tłokinia, 1795
August, #22
Right Margin: Tłokinia, cause of death Chickenpox ?
Body of entry: in the year above on the 3rd of August died an infant named Szymon in Tłokinia at 3 o’clock in the afternoon, son of the industrious (peasants) Antoni and Elżbieta Grala a child more than half a year old was buried on the 4th of August in the parish church cemetery of Tłokinia to the east.

Cheers
Ted

Death Szymon Grala 1795 - record 22 pg1&2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  179.69 KB

Death Szymon Grala 1795 - record 22 pg1&2.jpg

Dryber

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:12 pm      Post subject: Vital Records

Hi Dave & Barb,

The translation of Ignatius's birth record led me to find many other vital records for Tofil family members. I will include copies of them below. In my attempts to translate them it appears that they contain a lot of interesting information, so I am excited to see what they truly say. I will also include a screenshot of the full page to help with translation. Thank you for all of the help thus far.

Stanislaw Tofil Birth Document.jpg
 Description:
Ignatius's brother
 Filesize:  122.53 KB

Stanislaw Tofil Birth Document.jpg

Jozef Tofil death record 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.95 KB

Jozef Tofil death record 2.jpg

Jozef Tofil death record.jpg
 Description:
Ignatius's grandfather
 Filesize:  72.56 KB

Jozef Tofil death record.jpg

Jan Tofil Death Record 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  248.48 KB

Jan Tofil Death Record 2.jpg

Jan Tofil Death Record.jpg
 Description:
Ignatius's Father
 Filesize:  75.95 KB

Jan Tofil Death Record.jpg

Dryber

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:16 pm      Post subject: Vital Records Cont.

These are the other documents I couldn't include in the prior post.

Tekla Tofil Birth Doc 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  278 KB

Tekla Tofil Birth Doc 2.jpg

Tekla Tofil Birth Document.jpg
 Description:
Ignatius's sister.
 Filesize:  71.76 KB

Tekla Tofil Birth Document.jpg

Stanislaw Tofil Birth Doc 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  246.27 KB

Stanislaw Tofil Birth Doc 2.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 7:48 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

I find your replies very illuminating and entertaining - hopefully I am learning something.

The last translation I have for now I think I have correct, except for the cause of death, I was tossing up between Chickenpox and Typhoid and decided with chickenpox. The record was spread over a couple of pages and on those pages there were numerous children who died of "Papulis". I take it that the child was about 9 months of age? Can you please check my translation below:

Tłokinia, 1795
August, #22
Right Margin: Tłokinia, cause of death Chickenpox ?
Body of entry: in the year above on the 3rd of August died an infant named Szymon in Tłokinia at 3 o’clock in the afternoon, son of the industrious (peasants) Antoni and Elżbieta Grala a child more than half a year old was buried on the 4th of August in the parish church cemetery of Tłokinia to the east.

Cheers
Ted

Hi Ted,

You were able to translate all the data. Congrats. If that was your goal, you achieved it. If your goal was a translation of every word, some words found in the original are not in the translation. They are not crucial but if that was your goal a few additions would be necessary. The additions are the “filler” words which were part of the priest’s customary style.

The faint writing for the cause of death appears to be “Ex papulis” (From pimples) a term which was used to describe a disease which produced skin eruptions—a pox. It may have been chicken pox or the much more deadly small pox. Small pox usually occurred as an epidemic. Since you say that it is the cause of death for many children it is no guarantee of accuracy but is a good clue. An even better clue would be if it is listed as the cause of death of adults during the same time period.

During the late 18th Century small pox was the scourge of both Europe and North America and in the final decade of the century an effective type of vaccination was beginning to be used on both continents. In addition to smallpox and chicken pox other similar diseases exist. Physicians noted that milkmaids who had contracted cowpox which was a mild form of pox and had recovered from it were immune to smallpox. And thus a less dangerous vaccine was developed from cowpox. The very name vaccination comes from the Latin word for a cow—vacca, vaccae, f. This is just another example of the 65% of English words which are derived from Latin—one not easily guessed.

The only thing which is clear about the child's age is that he was more than six months old but less than one year old. he could have been 9 or eight or seven or 11 months old. There is no way to give a more exact age from what is entered in the record.

Congratulations again.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2023 7:52 am      Post subject: Re: Vital Records

Dryber wrote:
Hi Dave & Barb,

The translation of Ignatius's birth record led me to find many other vital records for Tofil family members. I will include copies of them below. In my attempts to translate them it appears that they contain a lot of interesting information, so I am excited to see what they truly say. I will also include a screenshot of the full page to help with translation. Thank you for all of the help thus far.

Hi D. Ryber – Ryba,

Thank you for posting the full page images of the records, which provide clarification for the cropped images. In the future please provide the link to the full page record. Screenshots are never easy to read. Having the link makes it easier to read a clearer image.

The translations follow.

Dave

B&B Tekla:
Col. 1: Series = Number in Order: 55

Col. 2:
Year at top: 1893
Mensis = Month: December

Col. 2a: Natus = Of Birth: 14

Col. 2b: Baptisatus = Of Baptism: 15

Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 19

Col. 4: Nomen = Name (of person baptized): Tekla

Col. 4: Religio = Religion
Col. 4a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b: Aut alia = Or another: blank

Col. 5: Sexus = Gender
Col. 5a: Puer = Boy: blank
Col. 5b: Puella = Girl: Checked

Col. 6: Thori = Bed
Col. 6a. Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 6b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank

Col. 7: Parentes = Parents
Col. 7a: Pater = Father: Jan Tofil, the son of Józef and Rozalia, the daughter of Franciszek Marchat, farmers

Col. 7b: Mater = Mother: Anna Popek, the daughter of Ignacy and Maryanna, the daughter of Antoni Grzybowski, farmers

Col. 8: Patrini et eorum Conditio = Sponsors and their State of Life/Occupation: (Godparents is the how patrini are popularly known. Technically they are sponsors, who in theory were supposed to act as mentors for the child): Jan Szot, a farmer, & Katarzyna Zenarły, the wife of Franciszek, farmers.

B&B Stanisław:
Col. 1: Series = Number in Order: 22

Year at top: Missing/Illegible
Col. 2: Mensis = Month: June

Col. 2a: Natus = Of Birth: 7

Col. 2b: Baptisatus = Of Baptism: 8
Notation: The cone above baptized (him)

Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 19

Col. 4: Nomen = Name (of person baptized): Stanisław
Notation: Died on 15 May, 1984
In Kzyżowo (?)
Act # 23/84

Col. 4b: Aut alia = Or another: Blank

Col. 5a: Puer = Boy: Checked
Col. 5b: Puella = Girl: blank

Col. 6: Thori = Bed
Col. 6a. Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 6b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank

Notation: (The midwife was) Anna Grzda, not examined*

Col. 7: Parentes = Parents
Col. 7a: Pater = Father: Jan Tofil, the son of Józef and Rozalia, the daughter of Franciszek Marchat
Col. 7b: Mater = Mother: Anna Popek, the daughter of Ignacy and Maryanna, the daughter of Antoni Grzybowski

Col. 8: Patrini et eorum Conditio = Sponsors and their State of Life/Occupation: (Godparents is the how patrini are popularly known. Technically they are sponsors, who in theory were supposed to act as mentors for the child): Illegible due to tight binding

Note: *Non examined: Cf. Earlier post last week

D&B Józef:

Kłzów, The year 1893
Left Col. Numerus positionis = number in order: 10
Col. 1: Dies Mortis 1893 Mensis = Date of Death 1893 Month: April 9
Col. 1a Dies Sep. : Day of Burial: April 11
Col. 2: N(ume)rus Domus = House Number: 19

Col. 3: Nomen Mortui = Name of the Deceased: Józef Tofil, husband for 34 years of Rozalia née Marchat, head of household, a farmer
Col. 4b: Aut Alia = Or Another: Blank

Col. 5a: Masculinus = Masculine: Checked
Col. 5b: Foemininus = Feminine: blank

Col. 6: Dies Vitae = Age (Lit. Days of Life): 71 years

Col. 7: Morbus & Qualitas Mortis = Disease & Type of Death: consumption* The Sacraments** had been provided.

Notation: The one who is above buried him.

Notes: *cusumptio/consumption was the term usually used for tuberculosis of the lungs.
**The Sacraments: Refers to Confession. Communion under the name of Viaticum, and Extreme Unction (currently known as Anointing of the Sick). The three together were commonly known as “The Last Rites”. Viaticum is decriptive in its parts. Via in Latin is a road so viaticum is communion/nourishment for the road/journey from this world to eternity.

D&B Jan:

Left Col. Numerus positionis = number in order: 29
Col. 1: Dies Mortis 1899 Mensis = Date of Death 1899 Month: November 12
Col. 1a Dies Sep. : Day of Burial: November 14
Col. 2: N(ume)rus Domus = House Number: 19

Col. 3: Nomen Mortui = Name of the Deceased: Jan Tofil, husband for 12 years of Amma Popek, head of household, a farmer
Col. 4b: Aut Alia = Or Another: Blank

Col. 5a: Masculinus = Masculine: Checked
Col. 5b: Foemininus = Feminine: blank

Col. 6: Dies Vitae = Age (Lit. Days of Life): 40 years

Col. 7: Morbus & Qualitas Mortis = Disease & Type of Death: consumption/tuberculosis of the lungs

Notation: Stanisław Warowicz buried him.
TedMack

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:03 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

Thanks for the confirmation of possible cause of death - didn't think Typhoid would be correct.

Basically my goal with these translations is to get as much information as possible to assist with further research, doesn't need to be 100% correct but should have the relevant info. The "filler" words aren't always required, but you never know until they are translated. The priest's customary style is what throws me as they all differ just to keep everyone on their toes. The latest offering is no exception as I have no idea about the first line of the attached marriage record (bottom of page 1), I've had a guess as to what it could be, but it is only a guess.

Can you please check this translation:

par. Wrząca Wielka 1799
# 3, Kiełczew Smużny, 12 May
(No idea of the first line but presume it says something like) I after the 3 banns had been promulgated and there being no impediment to the marriage of Kazimierz Klimczak, widower and Malgorzata, virgin ratify and confirm the marriage with the contract, witness Wojciech Ogrodewczyk, Andrzej Antczak, Jozef Klimczak all from the same village of Kielczew Smuzny.

I bet I'm not even close! I see the scribe uses the same wording in most of the records but they seem to change slightly in each record. At least I've had a go at it.

Cheers
Ted

Marriage Kazimierz Klimczak 1799 - record 3(crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  995.06 KB

Marriage Kazimierz Klimczak 1799 - record 3(crop).jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 257, 258, 259 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 258 of 274

Jump to: