PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 30

Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:03 pm      Post subject: Familysearch website

This is a link to a transcription of a marriage entry on the Familysearch website -https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6VST-3XPP?cid=fs_email

Can anyone advise me as to how I can find out where the marriage took place?

Any help would be appreciated.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1034

Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:28 pm      Post subject: Re: Familysearch website

Jillian W wrote:
This is a link to a transcription of a marriage entry on the Familysearch website -https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6VST-3XPP?cid=fs_email

Can anyone advise me as to how I can find out where the marriage took place?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Jillian,
I think it may be this:
Kościół rzymsko-katolicki. Parafja Jasień (Brzesko); Archiwum Państwowe Miasta Stołecznego Warszawy; Archiwum Diecezjalne w Tarnowie
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/292691?availability=Family%20History%20Library
Let me tell you how I arrived at that.
On the page you gave the link for, you see it shows a box with "image unavailable."
Beneath that are the words "document information." Click on that.
It provides a Digital Folder Number, which is 004666038. Copy that number.
Go to the Family Search menu item that lets you search by catalog number. It gives you the choice of searching for a Call Number or a Film/Fiche/Image Group Number. Click the latter. This is where you enter the number 004666038.
Now when you tell it to search, it lands on this Parafja Jasien that I showed you, above.
Would this place make sense, for the person you are researching? I am not altogether sure if a Digital Folder Number is the same as an Image Group Number. This could be a coincidence of two files having the same number.
Sophia
Jillian W

Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:47 pm      Post subject: Familysearch

Hello Sophia,
Thank you so much for your reply and the route you took to arrive at the answer. Yes, Jasien would make sense as that was where the bride's family lived. I can see that these records aren't available online so I imagine that I will need to contact the church in Jasien in order to get a copy of the marriage entry. Many thanks - it's much appreciated.
Jillian
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:51 am      Post subject: Re: Familysearch

Jillian W wrote:
Hello Sophia,
Thank you so much for your reply and the route you took to arrive at the answer. Yes, Jasien would make sense as that was where the bride's family lived. I can see that these records aren't available online so I imagine that I will need to contact the church in Jasien in order to get a copy of the marriage entry. Many thanks - it's much appreciated.
Jillian

Hi Jillian,
You are welcome!
If you don't get a reply from the parish in Jasien, you still have another option. The marriages for Jasien (both the index of them as well as the images of them) do appear to have been put on microfilm for the year you need:
Indeks małżeństw A-Z (1895-1946, Jasień) -- Akta małżeństw 1895-1946 (Jasień)
Film #2100087, Item 14
As you already know, the problem for trying to view them at home is that these images are "locked," but they should be viewable at either a Family History Center or an "affiliate library" and there seem to be a number of them in the UK:
https://www.familysearch.org/centers/locations/
But if it is not possible for you to go to one, you may be able to find a researcher or a volunteer who can go for you.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
TedMack

Replies: 483

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:04 am      Post subject: Re: Familysearch

Sophia wrote:
Jillian W wrote:
Hello Sophia,
Jillian

Hi Jillian,
You are welcome!
If you don't get a reply from the parish in Jasien, you still have another option. The marriages for Jasien (both the index of them as well as the images of them) do appear to have been put on microfilm for the year you need:
Indeks małżeństw A-Z (1895-1946, Jasień) -- Akta małżeństw 1895-1946 (Jasień)
Film #2100087, Item 14
As you already know, the problem for trying to view them at home is that these images are "locked," but they should be viewable at either a Family History Center or an "affiliate library" and there seem to be a number of them in the UK:
https://www.familysearch.org/centers/locations/
But if it is not possible for you to go to one, you may be able to find a researcher or a volunteer who can go for you.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia

G'day Jillian & Sophia

There is also an option to request the record from FamilySearch using their Free Lookup Service available at https://www.familysearch.org/en/library/record-lookup-service
You just need to complete the online form quoting the DGS and Film no and they will send you the record (and sometimes a translation).

Happy research.
Ted
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:17 am      Post subject: Re: Familysearch

TedMack wrote:

G'day Jillian & Sophia

There is also an option to request the record from FamilySearch using their Free Lookup Service available at https://www.familysearch.org/en/library/record-lookup-service
You just need to complete the online form quoting the DGS and Film no and they will send you the record (and sometimes a translation).

Happy research.
Ted

Hi Ted,
Sorry to say, they discontinued that service. It was great when they had it.
Happy research to you as well!
Sophia
TedMack

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:33 am      Post subject: Re: Familysearch

Sophia wrote:
TedMack wrote:

G'day Jillian & Sophia

Happy research.
Ted

Hi Ted,
Sorry to say, they discontinued that service. It was great when they had it.
Happy research to you as well!
Sophia

Thanks Sophia - you learn something new everyday!

Cheers
Ted
Jillian W

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:10 pm      Post subject: FamilySearch

Hello Sophia & Ted,
Thank you both for your help; I've sent an email request to the church in Jasien - hopefully I'll receive a response. If not, then I think I'll follow it up with a letter before resorting to a 2 hour drive to my nearest LDS Centre. Rather a shame that I missed out on the look up service!
Jillian
TedMack

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:35 pm      Post subject: Re: FamilySearch

Jillian W wrote:
Hello Sophia & Ted,
Thank you both for your help; I've sent an email request to the church in Jasien - hopefully I'll receive a response. If not, then I think I'll follow it up with a letter before resorting to a 2 hour drive to my nearest LDS Centre. Rather a shame that I missed out on the look up service!
Jillian

G'day Jillian

I'm actually going to my local LDS tomorrow. I'll try and get a copy of it for you.

Cheers
Ted
Jillian W

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:02 pm      Post subject: FamilySearch

Hello Ted,
Thank you - that's a truly unexpected kindness.
Jillian
TedMack

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:52 am      Post subject: Re: FamilySearch

Jillian W wrote:
Hello Ted,
Thank you - that's a truly unexpected kindness.
Jillian

G'day Jillian

I have good news and not so good news. I'll start with the good news - I can save you the 4 hour round trip to the FamilySearch Library. I attended there this morning and spent 5 minutes looking up your record and found that it is locked and only available from Salt Lake as a microfilm - even though from home it appears that it is available at the library. This means that it would need to be ordered from Salt Lake and sent to your nearest library and when available you can then attend and view the record.

On the other hand when you visit the Look Up link that I sent you there is an option on the bottom of the page where you can contact them about not being able to attend a library. It gives you a form you can submit and if you tell them the story of how far you have to travel etc. they can arrange for your nearest library to contact you and assist. You never know what may happen - it may be easier for them to just provide a copy?? You can only try.

Good luck with your research.

Cheers
Ted
Jillian W

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:55 pm      Post subject: FamilySearch

Hello Ted,
There's always 'good news' and 'bad news' when it comes to locating our elusive ancestors! Thank you very much for checking this record out for me - at least I have a few options with regard to obtaining a copy.
Best wishes, Jillian
Andrew Kozerski

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:37 pm      Post subject: Copies of Records from Family Search Catalog

Hello Jillian and any interested in this topic'
I am a new member, so forgive me for any breaches in protocol. I am a volunteer librarian at one of the Family Histort Centers here in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I am able to download most records that are listed in the LDS Catalog. Please feel free to contact me for any help I can provide in obtaining downloaded scan of records. It would help if anyone requesting help could provide me with a DGS (film) number, or a link as in the first posting in this topic. If neither are available, a parish name and year of the event, and as much info about who you are looking for (given and surname, and name of parents if known. I will try to help in any way I can.
Contact me either through the forum, or privately at [email protected]
AK
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: