PolishOrigins Forum

 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 267, 268, 269 ... 271, 272, 273  Next
Author
Message
TedMack



Joined: 12 Jun 2020
Replies: 476
Location: Sydney, Australia

Back to top
Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:29 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation
Reply with quote

G'day Dave

These are the B&B translations, if you could please review. Had a bit of trouble with the writing, more so on the second record where I thought they were talking about someone dying between the birth and baptism. Once I translated the third record I could then see what the second record was saying (at least I hope so). The records follow:


par. Kościelec (Kalisz) 1792
Mycielin – Marcin
Note in Left Column: Error by Chaplain (I presume for the word “Famatus”?)
Body of entry: AD1792 on 11 November, the same who is mentioned above (Karol Jurkowski) baptised an infant by the name of Marcin, born on 4th of the same month, born of the legitimate marriage of the renowned Andrzej and Maryanna Ławiński from Mycielin. Those lifting him up from the font were the Godparents, The Honorable Pan Maciej Łuczycki and Ewa his wife (?) (?) from Mycielin.

par. Kościelec (Kalisz) 1797
Note in Left Column: Mycielin, 26th November 1797
Body of entry: Baptised an infant of the male sex in Mycielin son of renowned Andrzej Ławiński and wife (?) Katarzyna born on the 19th in the same month (?) of the same year (?) at 2 o’clock in the afternoon and named Andrzej and Józef. Godparents were wellborn Maciej Łuczycki and wellborn (?) Ewa his wife.

par. Kościelec (Kalisz) 1800
Note in Left Column: Mycielin, 2nd March 1800
On page 2: Record 12 – 1 female birth.
Body of entry: Baptised an infant of the female sex of honourable Andrzej Ławiński whom his wife Katarzyna gave birth to on 1st March of this year at 6 o’clock in the morning. The name Marcjanna was given to her. Godparents were the well born Pan Maciej Łuczycki and the well born Pani Joanna Pieniązkowa from Winiarskie.

Cheers
Ted



Birth Marcin Lawinski 1792 - crop.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.01 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Birth Marcin Lawinski 1792 - crop.jpg



B&B Andrzej Lawinski 1797 - R6 crop.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.42 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

B&B Andrzej Lawinski 1797 - R6 crop.jpg



B&B Marcjanna Lawinski 1800 - R12 crop.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.98 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

B&B Marcjanna Lawinski 1800 - R12 crop.jpg


View user's profile
Send private message
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Replies: 2773
Location: Michigan City, Indiana

Back to top
Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:04 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation
Reply with quote

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

These are the B&B translations, if you could please review. Had a bit of trouble with the writing, more so on the second record where I thought they were talking about someone dying between the birth and baptism. Once I translated the third record I could then see what the second record was saying (at least I hope so). The records follow: Cheers
Ted


Hi Ted,

Everything is OK in your translation of the 1792 baptism. The only things that I would add by way of explanation are that the word capellanus means pastor in this instance. The error does refer to the word you suspected which is indicated by the mark in the left column which corresponds to the mark above the ending of the word in the text. The title of the male sponsor which you translated correctly indicates that he was a court official. Since the birth and baptism took place prior to the second partition he was an official of the Polish— the female Lithuanian Commonwealth. The female sponsor indeed was his wife. (uxor ejus/his wife) I am not able to read the letters of the word following ejus/his.

The style of the next two entries differs greatly from what you are used to. You were able to understand the sense of those two entries and discerned the main information. I will transcribe and translate the 1797 B&B record in order to help you understand the style and structure of the entry for future reference.

Transcription:
Right Margin: Mycielin Die 26 9bris 1797
Body of Entry: Baptizatus est* infans de villa Mycielin sexus masculini Honesti** Andreæ Ławinski quem uxor ejus Catharina peperit*** die 19 ejusdem eodem anno hora 2 post mediam noctem et impositum est* nomen ei**** Andreas et Josephus. Patrini fuere Generosus***** Dominus Łuczycki cum Generosa***** Domina Eva consorte sua******.
Translation:
Right Margin: Mycielin On the 26th day of November 1797
Body of Entry: An infant of the male sex of the upright**Andrzej Ławinski from the village of Mycielin was baptized* whom his wife Katarzyna bore ***on the 19th day of the same month in the same year at the second hour after midnight and the name Andrzej and Józef was given* to him****; The sponsors were the Wellborn***** Pan Łuczycki with the Wellborn***** Pani Ewa, his ******wife.

Notes: *The verbs baptizatus est and impositum est are both 3rd Person Perfect Indicative Passive and are formed from the 4th Principal Parts of the verbs baptizo, baptizare, baptizavi, baptizatum, to baptize and impono, imponere, imposui, impositum, to lay upon/place upon/give. They are called principal parts because all other verb forms are derived from them. Est is a part of the Perfect Indicative Passive verb.

**honestus/upright was an adjective used to describe a peasant from a village or from a small town.

***peperit is the 3rd Person Singular Indicative Active of the verb pario, parere, peperi, partum, to bear/bring forth. It is derived from the third principle part of the verb and doesn’t look anything like the first principle part which would make it somewhat difficult to find in a dictionary. The fourth principal part also does not resemble any of the first three principal parts but is a verb form from which English words like postpartum are derived.

****ei/to him is the Third Person Dative Singular of the Personal pronoun is, ea, id/he/she/it. I’m aware of the irony that I recently said that the dative case is seldom found in vital records and here it is again. However, it is required by the syntax of the sentence. I guess it is the exception that proves the rule.

*****Generosus/Generosa/wellborn was used for a noble who was the owner or part owner or leaseholder of a piece of real property. My guess is that the couple where owners or part owners of the village of Mycielin. They were definitely not major members of the nobility and may very well have been not much better off financially than some of the well to do peasants of the area.

******sua: The Ablative Singular Feminine of the Possessive Pronoun suus, sua, suum, his, her, its

The 1800 birth and baptism record is in the exact same style as the above record. Again you were able to find main information contained in the record. If you want to polish Latin skills in order to win the Mr. Peabody award for 2024 feel free to put your translation into the above form.

Until next time,

Dave

Cheers
Ted[/quote]
View user's profile
Send private message
TedMack



Joined: 12 Jun 2020
Replies: 476
Location: Sydney, Australia

Back to top
Post Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:52 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation
Reply with quote

G'day Dave

I suppose I could start with Sherman's most used sentence "what are we going to learn today Mr. Peabody". The only way to be sure of the Mr. Peabody award to use the WABAC machine to travel back and ask each scribe exactly what they wrote - but as they say in the classics - that ain't going to happen.

Thanks for the latest installment to my Latin education, there certainly are numerous lessons to be learnt. The latest round of translations has given me some interesting avenues for further research. I note that in the Latin records the Godfather is recorded as "Mathias", but in a 1795 baptism in Polish his given name is "Marcin"?

Here are my last translations for this year, as we take a break until February. Can you please review when time permits:

par. Kościelec (Kalisz) 1796
In the year 1796 on January 12 was buried in the cemetery Marianna Lawinski from the village of Mycielin age 46. Having been fortified by the sacraments, she died at 8 o'clock in the morning in a blistering fever.

Par. Turek (Kalisz) January 1807
Obrzębiun, commune Turek, county of Warta, Kalisz
Left Margin 1: Obrzębiun
Left Margin 2: 11 – Baptism date.
Body of entry: I the same as mentioned above baptised twin babies namely Agnieszka and Marianna born on the 8th of this month from the legitimate marriage of upright Pan Wojciech and Anna Wypychowski, shepherds. Godparents were: Agnieszka – Maciej Swietkowski and maiden Katarzyna Jublonska. Marianna – Stanislaw Kowalczyk and Ludwika Wasnieusczowa.
Right margin: 5 (record number)

Cheers
Ted



Death Maryanna Lawinski 1796 - R3 (crop1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.28 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Death Maryanna Lawinski 1796 - R3 (crop1).jpg



B&B Agata & Marianna Wypychowski 1807 - R5 (crop).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.92 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

B&B Agata & Marianna Wypychowski 1807 - R5 (crop).jpg


View user's profile
Send private message
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Replies: 2773
Location: Michigan City, Indiana

Back to top
Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:08 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation
Reply with quote

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

I suppose I could start with Sherman's most used sentence "what are we going to learn today Mr. Peabody". The only way to be sure of the Mr. Peabody award to use the WABAC machine to travel back and ask each scribe exactly what they wrote - but as they say in the classics - that ain't going to happen.

Thanks for the latest installment to my Latin education, there certainly are numerous lessons to be learnt. The latest round of translations has given me some interesting avenues for further research. I note that in the Latin records the Godfather is recorded as "Mathias", but in a 1795 baptism in Polish his given name is "Marcin"?

Here are my last translations for this year, as we take a break until February. Can you please review when time permits:

par. Kościelec (Kalisz) 1796
In the year 1796 on January 12 was buried in the cemetery Marianna Lawinski from the village of Mycielin age 46. Having been fortified by the sacraments, she died at 8 o'clock in the morning in a blistering fever.

Par. Turek (Kalisz) January 1807
Obrzębiun, commune Turek, county of Warta, Kalisz
Left Margin 1: Obrzębiun
Left Margin 2: 11 – Baptism date.
Body of entry: I the same as mentioned above baptised twin babies namely Agnieszka and Marianna born on the 8th of this month from the legitimate marriage of upright Pan Wojciech and Anna Wypychowski, shepherds. Godparents were: Agnieszka – Maciej Swietkowski and maiden Katarzyna Jublonska. Marianna – Stanislaw Kowalczyk and Ludwika Wasnieusczowa.
Right margin: 5 (record number)

Cheers
Ted


Hi Ted,

Everything is fine in your translation of the birth and baptism record and the death and burial record except for one omission in the death record. The end of line two and the beginning of line three contains the words “quae obiit 10 hujus...” which should be translated “who died on the 10th of this (month)…” The phrase is something you don’t want to overlook since it’s specifies the date of her death. In your translation the phrase should fit between the word sacraments and 8:00 in the morning. Mr Peabody would be proud of your progress in the Latin language and using the WABAC machine you would fit pretty well into understanding late 18th century church records in Latin. You may even be able to carry on a conversation with clerics from that time.

Enjoy your summer break but be sure to keep up your Latin studies so that when the break is over you’ll be able to pick up where you left off.

I have high hopes that in the coming year you will once again win the coveted Mr Peabody Award. Rocky and Bullwinkle also are rooting for you.

Dave
View user's profile
Send private message
TedMack



Joined: 12 Jun 2020
Replies: 476
Location: Sydney, Australia

Back to top
Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:24 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation
Reply with quote

dnowicki wrote:


Hi Ted,

Everything is fine in your translation of the birth and baptism record and the death and burial record except for one omission in the death record. The end of line two and the beginning of line three contains the words “quae obiit 10 hujus...” which should be translated “who died on the 10th of this (month)…” The phrase is something you don’t want to overlook since it’s specifies the date of her death. In your translation the phrase should fit between the word sacraments and 8:00 in the morning. Mr Peabody would be proud of your progress in the Latin language and using the WABAC machine you would fit pretty well into understanding late 18th century church records in Latin. You may even be able to carry on a conversation with clerics from that time.

Enjoy your summer break but be sure to keep up your Latin studies so that when the break is over you’ll be able to pick up where you left off.

I have high hopes that in the coming year you will once again win the coveted Mr Peabody Award. Rocky and Bullwinkle also are rooting for you.

Dave


Thanks Dave

Once again I fail to determine the correct use of the abbreviation for "quae" - I took it as qua with no certainty of the "a". Now it all makes sense. Anyway we live and learn, maybe next time I will recall the abbreviation.

Thanks again for the valuable Latin lessons during the year, and here's hoping you enjoy and have a Merry Christmas and a healthy and prosperous New Year.

Till then. Cheers
Ted
View user's profile
Send private message
peplinskil



Joined: 09 Oct 2021
Replies: 40

Back to top
Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:26 pm      Post subject: Roch Piotr 1791 baptism (Ryczywół)
Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
Would like to ask your help on this one, as some of the descriptions are unusual to me, specifically that of the father Thomæ Piotr and the godmother Apolonia Chmielewska (?). Can you please provide a translation of the whole record?

The record that I am interested in is third from bottom on the right page: Rochum Piotr, son of Thomæ Piotr & Mariannæ Potcynowna, baptized 21Aug1791 in Ryczywół.

Also, can you provide a general desription of the summary totals at the bottom of the left page? Is it some sort of ongoing parish census?

The parish is Ryczywół, about 50 km north of Poznań.

Thank you,

Lee



1791-Rochum Piotr (Thomae Piotr & Mariannae Potcynowna)-birth (Ryczywół) 21Aug1791.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.31 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1791-Rochum Piotr (Thomae Piotr & Mariannae Potcynowna)-birth (Ryczywół) 21Aug1791.jpg


View user's profile
Send private message
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Replies: 2773
Location: Michigan City, Indiana

Back to top
Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:49 am      Post subject: Re: Roch Piotr 1791 baptism (Ryczywół)
Reply with quote

peplinskil wrote:
Hi Dave,
Would like to ask your help on this one, as some of the descriptions are unusual to me, specifically that of the father Thomæ Piotr and the godmother Apolonia Chmielewska (?). Can you please provide a translation of the whole record?

The record that I am interested in is third from bottom on the right page: Rochum Piotr, son of Thomæ Piotr & Mariannæ Potcynowna, baptized 21Aug1791 in Ryczywół.

Also, can you provide a general desription of the summary totals at the bottom of the left page? Is it some sort of ongoing parish census?

The parish is Ryczywół, about 50 km north of Poznań.

Thank you,

Lee


Hi Lee,

Don’t feel bad that you had difficulty with words in this entry. Some of the vocabulary the priest chose to use is definitely unusual. There is nothing wrong with the vocabulary he used but it was definitely not vocabulary found every day.

Here is the translation of the B&B entry:
Ryczywał: On the 21st day of August I, Norbert, From the Józef Carmelite convent baptized an infant by the name of Roch, the son of the parents of the legitimate Catholic marital union, the renowned* Tomasz Piotr**, the possessor of the foundations of the vicarage*** and of Maryanna procreated**** Połczynowa*****Those who lifted him up****** from the Sacred Font (were) the Reverend Franciszek Ksawery Brzuchalski, the curate, and the honorable******* Panna Apolonia Chmielewska, daughter of Maciej.

Notes: *famatus/renowned (Polish: sławetny): the term generally was used to describe a middle class craftsman.

**Piotr: a surname rather than a given name

***possessoris fundorum plebanalium/possessor of the foundations i.e. organizations of the vicarage is the meaning of the words. It is difficult to know to what they referred in late 18th Century village/town life. The adjective plebanalis is derived from the nouns plebanus (pastor/vicar) and plebania (pastoral office).

****procreata/procreated: a fancy way of saying “born”/née

*****Polczynowa: the feminine suffix indicates that she was the daughter of Polczyn.

******levanerunt/they lifted up: a circumlocution for sponsors aka godparents.

*******magnifica/honorable: The title in Polish is wielmożna.

The entry in the left Page gives the number of individuals who were Bound by the Easter Duty, That is the obligation to receive the sacraments of penance and Holy Communion once a year during the Easter season. It only gives numbers with no names so does probably a little help genealogically but it does give an accurate picture of the number of individuals in the parish at the time. My ancestors who lived in the parishes of Szubin and Słupy during the second half of the 18th Century were listed by name and their status/occupation which is more genealogically informative and in some ways does act like a parish census. Attached is an example for the village of Królikowo for the year 1779.

Here’s a translation of the text: In this year 1791 Came to Easter Holy Communion persons of both genders and all ages: 763
Boys before the age of reason* were found: 136
Girls before the age of reason* were found 140
Total number of souls: 1039
From the village of Wyszyny In the same year came to (Easter): Holy Communion: 221
Boys in that same place: 39
Girls in that same place: 43
Sum of all the sums (Total of the tallies): 1342

Note: *annum discretionis/age of reason/discretion: Prior to 1910 when Pope Pius the 10th set the age of reason at 7 local standards varied from 10 to 12 or even to 14 years of age.

Hoping that the above helps to answer your questions and wishing you success,

Dave



1779 Krolikowo.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  323.46 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1779 Krolikowo.jpg


View user's profile
Send private message
jangle1



Joined: 17 Jul 2023
Replies: 21
Location: Maryland

Back to top
Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:48 pm      Post subject: Krutulis/Jasewicz family
Reply with quote

Hello!

I heard back from a genealogical society that was able to locate some information in their records. I would appreciate any help in translating/understanding what the two blurbs say. One is a small note of the Krutulis-Jasewicz marriage and the other is a note of Simon Krutulis's death. I believe the marriage note is in Latin, while the note on Simon's death is very hard for me to read in general, let alone that it may be in Latin too.
Thank you for taking the time to read this! Smile
~jerry



Simon Krutulis 1920 Church Death Record.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.4 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Simon Krutulis 1920 Church Death Record.jpg



Krutulis Jasevicz 1904 Marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.14 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Krutulis Jasevicz 1904 Marriage.jpg


View user's profile
Send private message
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Replies: 2773
Location: Michigan City, Indiana

Back to top
Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:55 am      Post subject: Re: Krutulis/Jasewicz family
Reply with quote

jangle1 wrote:
Hello!

I heard back from a genealogical society that was able to locate some information in their records. I would appreciate any help in translating/understanding what the two blurbs say. One is a small note of the Krutulis-Jasewicz marriage and the other is a note of Simon Krutulis's death. I believe the marriage note is in Latin, while the note on Simon's death is very hard for me to read in general, let alone that it may be in Latin too.
Thank you for taking the time to read this! Smile
~jerry


Hi Jerry,

Both the marriage and the death & burial records are in Latin. They are “bare bones” entries in the short paragraph form found in Ecclesiastical Registers. The entries contain some standard abbreviations which most likely accounts for why they are difficult for you to read.

Here follows the translation of the marriage entry:
#28746: On the 1st day of November Simon Krutulis and Eva Jasevicz from Scranton Pennsylvania contracted* marriage. The wittnesses (were) Morzes? Diksa and Maryanne** Dubiekievcz?. Signature of parish priest.

Notes: *contrax(erunt) matrim(onium)/contracted marriage: Marriage from ancient times (like in pagan Rome, before and after the advent of what we know as the Common Era) was looked upon as a contract entered upon by two individuals. In the contract the individuals agreed to grant each other certain rights and to accept and fulfill certain duties. Any romantic elements were an added bonus. The contractual element of marriage is still at the heart of the Catholic Church’s view of Matrimony. In immigrant communities during the late 19th and early 20th Centuries the contractual aspect of marriage most often was very important to the individuals and the families involved. Although it is not a perfect analogy, one way to understand the dynamics would be to think of matrimony in what in contemporary terms could be called “a transactional marriage” rather than in romantic terms.

**Marianna/Maryanne: the usual form used for a woman whose given name was Mary. The short form, Maria/Marie/Mary was usually reserved for the BVM.

Death & Burial Record

The entry is even more “bare bones” and contains even more abbreviations than the marriage record. The last words of the entry (which contain vernacular place names) might be easier to determine by seeing the entire page of the register.

Translation:
Left Column: 38 (Death & Burial for the year)
Body of Entry: Simon Krutulys, 45 years of age, from (illegible to me), died on October 20 and was buried on October 22, 1920. Signature of the parish priest.

I hope this helps.

Wishing you successful researching,

Dave
View user's profile
Send private message
jangle1



Joined: 17 Jul 2023
Replies: 21
Location: Maryland

Back to top
Post Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:11 pm      Post subject: Re: Krutulis/Jasewicz family
Reply with quote

dnowicki wrote:
jangle1 wrote:
Hello!

I heard back from a genealogical society that was able to locate some information in their records. I would appreciate any help in translating/understanding what the two blurbs say. One is a small note of the Krutulis-Jasewicz marriage and the other is a note of Simon Krutulis's death. I believe the marriage note is in Latin, while the note on Simon's death is very hard for me to read in general, let alone that it may be in Latin too.
Thank you for taking the time to read this! Smile
~jerry


Hi Jerry,

Both the marriage and the death & burial records are in Latin. They are “bare bones” entries in the short paragraph form found in Ecclesiastical Registers. The entries contain some standard abbreviations which most likely accounts for why they are difficult for you to read.

Here follows the translation of the marriage entry:
#28746: On the 1st day of November Simon Krutulis and Eva Jasevicz from Scranton Pennsylvania contracted* marriage. The wittnesses (were) Morzes? Diksa and Maryanne** Dubiekievcz?. Signature of parish priest.

Notes: *contrax(erunt) matrim(onium)/contracted marriage: Marriage from ancient times (like in pagan Rome, before and after the advent of what we know as the Common Era) was looked upon as a contract entered upon by two individuals. In the contract the individuals agreed to grant each other certain rights and to accept and fulfill certain duties. Any romantic elements were an added bonus. The contractual element of marriage is still at the heart of the Catholic Church’s view of Matrimony. In immigrant communities during the late 19th and early 20th Centuries the contractual aspect of marriage most often was very important to the individuals and the families involved. Although it is not a perfect analogy, one way to understand the dynamics would be to think of matrimony in what in contemporary terms could be called “a transactional marriage” rather than in romantic terms.

**Marianna/Maryanne: the usual form used for a woman whose given name was Mary. The short form, Maria/Marie/Mary was usually reserved for the BVM.

Death & Burial Record

The entry is even more “bare bones” and contains even more abbreviations than the marriage record. The last words of the entry (which contain vernacular place names) might be easier to determine by seeing the entire page of the register.

Translation:
Left Column: 38 (Death & Burial for the year)
Body of Entry: Simon Krutulys, 45 years of age, from (illegible to me), died on October 20 and was buried on October 22, 1920. Signature of the parish priest.

I hope this helps.

Wishing you successful researching,

Dave


Hi Dave!
Thank you so much for taking the time to not only translate this, but to also provide some historical context. While I love learning about my ancestors, I also really enjoying learning about the culture and history of Poland/Lithuania/Eastern Europe and what my ancestors and peoples lives were like in general. Thank you very much, I really appreciate it!
~jerry
View user's profile
Send private message
joejazz



Joined: 13 Jun 2009
Replies: 19
Location: Clinton Township, Michigan USA

Back to top
Post Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:09 pm      Post subject: Dec Translation
Reply with quote

Hello,

I would be very happy if someone could translate the entry number 2 for Jakub Dec and Bronislawa Sikora.



Dec Jakub Bronislowa Sikora Marriage Record Maybe.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.76 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Dec Jakub Bronislowa Sikora Marriage Record Maybe.jpg


View user's profile
Send private message
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Replies: 2773
Location: Michigan City, Indiana

Back to top
Post Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:47 am      Post subject: Re: Dec Translation
Reply with quote

joejazz wrote:
Hello,

I would be very happy if someone could translate the entry number 2 for Jakub Dec and Bronislawa Sikora.


Hi joejazz,

The format used for this record was the form used in the Austrian partition prior to the end of world war 1. Despite the fact that an independent Poland was created in the aftermath of the war by the Versailles Treaty the practical details and organization of the Polish State were still in a state of flux during the early 1920s which makes it understandable that newly independent Poland continued to use forms created during the era of the partitions. As an aside, whatever one on this side of the pond may think of the presidency and policies of Woodrow Wilson, in Poland he was revered because of number 13 of his famous 14 points (his insistence on the creation of an independent Polish State.

Meanwhile back to the record…

C1a: Series = number in order: 2
C1b: 1920 Dies et Mensis = 1922 Day & Month: February 7
C1c: Numerus Domus = House Number: From house 173 to house 21
C2: Sponsus = The Groom
C2a: Nomen = Name: Jakub* Dec, the son of Jan and of Weronika (née) Sądej, born and residing in Trzebuska.
C2b: Religio = Religion
C2b1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
C2b2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
C2bc: Aetas = Age: (date of birth): June 30, 1899
C2d: Coelebs = Bachelor: Checked
C2e: Viduus = Widower: Blank
C3: Sponsa = The Bride
C3a: Nomen = Name: Bronisława Sikora, the daughter of Wojciech and Franciszka (née) Matula, born and residing in Turza
Notation: Died December 30, 1972
C3b1: Religio = Religion
C3b1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
C3b2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
C3c: Aetas = Age: (date of birth): July 9, 1898
C3d: Coelebs = Maiden: Checked
C3e: Vidua = Widow: Blank
C4 Testes = Witnesses
C4a: Nomina et Conditio = Names and Status/Condition/Occupation: Wojciech Dec and Jan Krawczyk
Remaining notations list the dates of the banns in terms of the liturgical calendar then in force and the name of the pastor of the parish who blessed the marriage.’

Note: * The usual spelling of the given name used at the time prior to the Spelling Reforms later in the Century.

Wishing you successful researching,

Dave


Last edited by dnowicki on Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile
Send private message
joejazz



Joined: 13 Jun 2009
Replies: 19
Location: Clinton Township, Michigan USA

Back to top
Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:11 pm      Post subject: Dec Translation
Reply with quote

Dave,

Happy new year and thank you for the translation. The notation of Bronislawa's death answers a long standing question we had. That is whether she emigrated or not. We have records for Jakub in Canada, including meetings with family members, but never could find anything on Bronislawa. It would appear she remained in Poland. I do have a couple of things I would like to follow up on:

1. After the banns which I take at the I-15, I-22 and I-29 of December there is some wording I can't make out. It looks like St et Dom II III et IV posi Epiph. Do you know what that means?

2. I take it the Leo Szads is the priests name.

Once again, thank you.
View user's profile
Send private message
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Replies: 2773
Location: Michigan City, Indiana

Back to top
Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:40 am      Post subject: Re: Dec Translation
Reply with quote

joejazz wrote:
Dave,

Happy new year and thank you for the translation. The notation of Bronislawa's death answers a long standing question we had. That is whether she emigrated or not. We have records for Jakub in Canada, including meetings with family members, but never could find anything on Bronislawa. It would appear she remained in Poland. I do have a couple of things I would like to follow up on:

1. After the banns which I take at the I-15, I-22 and I-29 of December there is some wording I can't make out. It looks like St et Dom II III et IV posi Epiph. Do you know what that means?

2. I take it the Leo Szads is the priests name.

Once again, thank you.


Hi joejazz,

The notation about which you ask is just ordinary boilerplate regularly found in marriage records. It does not add anything significant to the record but here is the text and a translation. The first entry uses a combination of Roman and Arabic numerals and gives the dates on which the banns were announced first according to the civil (Gregorian) calendar and then according to the liturgical calendar in use at that time and which continued to be used until the late 1960s. In contemporary usage the dates according to the liturgical calendar would be given in terms of Ordinary Time.

Transcription: Praemissis tribus bannis I 15/1; II 22/1; III 29/1 h(oc) e(st) Dom(inicae) II, III, IV post Epiph(aniam).

Translation: The three banns having been announced beforehand: The First on January 15th; the second on January 22nd, and the third on January 29th, that is on the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Sundays after Epiphany.

The Feast of the Epiphany AKA the 12th day of Christmas AKA the Feast of the Three Kings AKA the Three Wise Guys (Magi) was on January the 6th and the Sundays are counted after that date.

The final notation, as you surmised, gives the name of the priest who blessed the marriage.
Transcription: Matrimonium benedixi Leo Szalo, paroch(us).
Translation: “I, Leon/Leo Szalo, the pastor, blessed the marriage.”

Happy new year!

Dave
View user's profile
Send private message
joejazz



Joined: 13 Jun 2009
Replies: 19
Location: Clinton Township, Michigan USA

Back to top
Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:12 am      Post subject: Dec Translation
Reply with quote

Dave - Thank you once again, but I am now confused by the dates of the banns and the marriage. The record indicates the marriage was January 7, 1922. How could the banns be afterwards? Or is January 7 the date they "registered" for marriage, banns on the 15th, 22nd and 29th with the marriage on....?
View user's profile
Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 267, 268, 269 ... 271, 272, 273  Next Page 268 of 273

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB ©

© 2009-2024 COPYRIGHTS BY THE OWNER OF POLISHORIGINS.COM