PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:26 pm      Post subject: Family Kozłowski - Brazil

Hi everyone! I hope you're all doing well.

I'm new to the forum, so if I'm posting in the wrong place, please let me know. My name is Felipe, and I'm from Brazil. For the past five years, I've been on a journey to find relatives who arrived in Brazil on January 20, 1986. The challenge for me is that I can't locate any documents from Poland. When they migrated to Brazil, they obtained documents here, officially stating that they are from Poland. However, none of the family members have real passports or IDs from their time in Poland.

A while ago, I came across a family tree that wasn't created by me. Here are the links:
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LV6F-636
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LV6N-1DD

I'm looking for Stanisław and his son Theodor. I've reached out to people on FamilySearch, but unfortunately, nobody could help. Someone recommended a website geneteka.genealodzy.pl, and I managed to find them there, or at least it seems so. However, they are the only ones without documents attached to their names, making it more challenging.

I contacted a person on that website, and they sent me an email with some documents. The issue is, I don't speak Polish. I tried using translation websites, but with no success. I hope someone could help me with some information. I understand it's very difficult, but the reason is that they were very simple and humble people, working on farms in Brazil. They didn't even speak Portuguese; only the next generation did. I really want to know what happened for them to move to Brazil, where exactly they lived in Poland, and who was the family. I want to share this with my parents. I'll leave some pictures attached for better understanding. If you have any questions, please let me know.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uRi_Z5FqwtOlGeybJ9tepJPiZOVU9Jk9/view?usp=sharing

Teodor2024-01-12 201524.png
 Description:
The reason why i believe is him, because there is a baptism document in Brazil that says his from Chyrów
 Filesize:  57.39 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Teodor2024-01-12 201524.png

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 692

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:11 pm      Post subject: Re: Family Kozłowski - Brazil

Hi Felipe,
The parents of Teodor, born in 1872 in Chyrow, were Teodor and Katarzyna Baczynski. This does not match the link from FamilySearch.
Do you have any documents you can share with us?

Regards,
-Barb
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:17 pm      Post subject: Re: Family Kozłowski - Brazil

Here are the siblings of Theodor.

-Barb

Teodor's sibling.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.63 KB

Teodor's sibling.jpg

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:18 pm      Post subject:

Hi again,
Unfortunately, I have bad news for you. Teodor died in 1872 only 3 months old. It means that he is not the person you are looking for.
-Barb
felipekosloske

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:47 pm      Post subject:

Hi Barb, thank you so much for the replies,
What I know is that they came through the port of Genova in Italy and went to Rio de Janeiro on 01/20/1896, after which they settled in the southern region of Brazil, predominantly by Germans, Poles and Ukrainians. We have documents from them but from Brazil, and unfortunately we don't have any from Poland. I know my information is very vague but I've been looking for over 5 years, no one has ever been able to help me, and I understand why. But that Familysearch tree is them, but the information that appears there is just information from documents that they made in Brazil, the only thing that my mother has memory of would be her father praying in Polish and telling her stories that they came from Krakow, so when they mentioned in documents saying that they were from Chyrów I thought it could be because they are nearby, but I don't know what else to do or where to look.
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:26 pm      Post subject:

felipekosloske wrote:
What I know is that they came through the port of Genova in Italy and went to Rio de Janeiro on 01/20/1896, after which they settled in the southern region of Brazil, predominantly by Germans, Poles and Ukrainians. We have documents from them but from Brazil, and unfortunately we don't have any from Poland. I know my information is very vague but I've been looking for over 5 years, no one has ever been able to help me, and I understand why. But that Familysearch tree is them, but the information that appears there is just information from documents that they made in Brazil, the only thing that my mother has memory of would be her father praying in Polish and telling her stories that they came from Krakow, so when they mentioned in documents saying that they were from Chyrów I thought it could be because they are nearby, but I don't know what else to do or where to look.

Hi,
I have the wedding record for Theodoro Cozloski from 1914 in front of me. He married Anna Queje. Do you know this record? It is written in Portuguese but I can read something. Teodor's parents were Estanislau Cozloski i Catharina Noga. The same can be seen in the link from FamilySearch you have attached. But something is not right. They married in 1914, but their first child was born in 1899.
Do you have Manifest from 1896? Also note that from Krakow to Chyrow in Ukraine is 300 km.
- Barb
felipekosloske

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:11 pm      Post subject:

Hi, Yes i do.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ueLQGUEHEZd3Y71hf2PXTLi3iJRIA_qg/view?usp=sharing

that is the original manifest, if you go to the page 10 at the botton you can see
koslowski Stanislau and Xenia, i think xenia was here nickname, and then page 10v there is the kids and there age.
felipekosloske

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:45 pm      Post subject:

I just got another document, which seems to be Zurawica the city of Stanislaw.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MFUZcmTTXvq5DBbtOKx8VzPlLMP-hQdK/view?usp=sharing
the picture is not good, but looks like that city, anyway im moving all family to help us, hahaha
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:18 pm      Post subject:

felipekosloske wrote:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MFUZcmTTXvq5DBbtOKx8VzPlLMP-hQdK/view?usp=sharing
the picture is not good, but looks like that city, anyway im moving all family to help us, hahaha

Hi,
I have access to parish Zurawce 1875-1899. No surname Kozlowski to be seen.
Based on the names of the children of Stanislaw, I would think that they were born in Ukraine or Galicia. Xenia, Akafia, Nostka confirm this. Zurawce is located just a few kilometers from the current border between Poland and Ukraine. Previously belonged to Poland.
And I keep on looking...
Er Joao og Maria Kozlowski foreldre til Stanislaw?

Regards,
-Barb
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2792

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:11 pm      Post subject:

BarbOslo wrote:
felipekosloske wrote:

Hi,
I have the wedding record for Theodoro Cozloski from 1914 in front of me. He married Anna Queje. Do you know this record? It is written in Portuguese but I can read something. Teodor's parents were Estanislau Cozloski i Catharina Noga. The same can be seen in the link from FamilySearch you have attached. But something is not right. They married in 1914, but their first child was born in 1899.
Do you have Manifest from 1896? Also note that from Krakow to Chyrow in Ukraine is 300 km.
- Barb

Hello Felipe & Barb,

The tree which someone else put together and posted has some serious problems. Here are just a few.
Estanislao/Stanisław is listed as being born after his son Teodoro/Teodor; The marriage that Barb was looking at from 1914 was not that of Teodoro but is that of his younger brother Mateo/Mateusz; The most recent document which Felipe posted is the civil registration of the death of Estanislao/Stanisław and as such is a primary source of death details and of very little else. Link to marriage record of Mateusz https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9396-JM2S-Z?i=203&cc=2016194
It is #36.

My words of wisdom are to heed the fable of the Tortoise and the Hare. Speed is not all it’s cracked up to be. Slow and steady wins the race. My advice would be to to plod along and to recheck everything that you think that you know. The death record gives his place of birth as Zurawica but keep in mind that he is not providing that information but it comes from someone else who was not there at the time of his birth. I would suggest following up on the 1914 marriage by contacting the church they attended at that time. Church marriage records from that time period usually the record the places where the contracting parties, the bride and the groom, were baptized which will give you a better handle on where the family was from in Europe. I know that in the excitement of doing research it is a temptation to jump ahead even without complete information but I advise against that approach. To me such an approach is getting ahead of yourself or jumping the gun or whatever other metaphor you would like to use. However such a strategy is not really productive.

Felipe, If you have any questions about researching in Brazil there is a wonderful resource person on this forum. He is Gilberto Magroski and he and I have corresponded frequently for the past 11 or so years. He is a kind man who is generous with his time and knowledge. Here is a link can use if you wish to contact him via the Forum: https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=1759&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Wishing you success,

Dave
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:32 am      Post subject:

As always, wise words from Dave. Yes, Gilberto Magroski can be a useful person.
Dave, Mateusz and Teodor got married on the same day. Teodor has been entered as #38.
-Barb
felipekosloske

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:04 pm      Post subject:

BarbOslo wrote:
felipekosloske wrote:

Hi,
I have access to parish Zurawce 1875-1899. No surname Kozlowski to be seen.
Based on the names of the children of Stanislaw, I would think that they were born in Ukraine or Galicia. Xenia, Akafia, Nostka confirm this. Zurawce is located just a few kilometers from the current border between Poland and Ukraine. Previously belonged to Poland.
And I keep on looking...
Er Joao og Maria Kozlowski foreldre til Stanislaw?

Regards,
-Barb

Hi Barb, yes there is a document that says they are from Austria Galicia.
Barb can you confirm for me or i miss understandig, Can you see their names on any list or are you stipulating that they might be from there?
and i think Joao and Maria is Theodor childrens.

Screenshot 2024-01-14 210359.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  503.52 KB

Screenshot 2024-01-14 210359.png

felipekosloske

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:08 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
BarbOslo wrote:
felipekosloske wrote:

Hi,
- Barb

Hello Felipe & Barb,

The tree which someone else put together and posted has some serious problems. Here are just a few.
Estanislao/Stanisław is listed as being born after his son Teodoro/Teodor; The marriage that Barb was looking at from 1914 was not that of Teodoro but is that of his younger brother Mateo/Mateusz; The most recent document which Felipe posted is the civil registration of the death of Estanislao/Stanisław and as such is a primary source of death details and of very little else. Link to marriage record of Mateusz https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9396-JM2S-Z?i=203&cc=2016194
It is #36.

My words of wisdom are to heed the fable of the Tortoise and the Hare. Speed is not all it’s cracked up to be. Slow and steady wins the race. My advice would be to to plod along and to recheck everything that you think that you know. The death record gives his place of birth as Zurawica but keep in mind that he is not providing that information but it comes from someone else who was not there at the time of his birth. I would suggest following up on the 1914 marriage by contacting the church they attended at that time. Church marriage records from that time period usually the record the places where the contracting parties, the bride and the groom, were baptized which will give you a better handle on where the family was from in Europe. I know that in the excitement of doing research it is a temptation to jump ahead even without complete information but I advise against that approach. To me such an approach is getting ahead of yourself or jumping the gun or whatever other metaphor you would like to use. However such a strategy is not really productive.

Felipe, If you have any questions about researching in Brazil there is a wonderful resource person on this forum. He is Gilberto Magroski and he and I have corresponded frequently for the past 11 or so years. He is a kind man who is generous with his time and knowledge. Here is a link can use if you wish to contact him via the Forum: https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=1759&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Wishing you success,

Dave

Thnak you Dave,
i will have a look more deep, and i will ask my mother to go to the church and see if they have more information, guys again thank you so much for help me. I hope i can find something
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:47 pm      Post subject:

Hi,
There are too few facts to confirm anything 100%. I think Ukraine is the place we should be looking for. I mean that after I have seen the first names of Teodor's siblings. Since Zurawce was entered in Stanislaw's death certificate, perhaps someone in the family heard that name earlier. But what Dave points out is very important. This information comes from someone else who was not there when he was born.

-Barb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research Resources, Tools & Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: